Foreign Trained Podiatrist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmadentist

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All!

Just a question that I'm curious about - but can't find an answer too.

So I know that Standard Physicians trained internationally can apply for residencies in the US and become licensed, and generally, internationally trained dentists cannot (they have to restart dental school). What about Podiatrists?

I ask because there are DPM programs in places like Australia - and then strong Podiatry programs in other places like Europe. I don't think that many in those countries have a goal of coming to the USA, but if one did, could they also apply to residency spots and the whole deal? Ultimately to practice here in the USA.

I did a search online a found nothing - so I'd like to ask here.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

No. Foreign grads cannot obtain podiatry licenses in the US or attend residency.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
No. Foreign grads cannot obtain podiatry licenses in the US or attend residency.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Vice versa is not true though, correct? I know we can practice in Canada. How about England/Australia?

And I remember a pod school opening in Canada in recent years. Can they practice in the states?

Just curious.

Members don't see this ad :)
An American Podiatist can not practice in England as there is no reciprocal agreement between the two countries. Essentially the stance is 'you don't let us come over there so we wont let you come over here' (bureaucratic petulance)

Reactions: 1 user
Fascinating. Australian programs (DPM) seem to be closley emulating US programs - so its surprising that there is no way to come to the US. Thanks for the responses