Foreign Veterinary Graduates

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
hi chvet:clap:
thanks for your information
i got my answer for some
which test did u take for english? toefl or ielts?what did u read for them?i am reading longman and barrons books for toefl?congradulation that u passed?

Yes, you have to pass the English test to sit for the QE.
I took TOEFL twice, though I passed the overall score I didn't achieve the minimal score in Speaking (26). Then I switched to IELTS because they don’t need certain passing scores for sections. They only look at the overall score (7 or higher). Besides, I feel more comfortable speaking to a real person than to a machine.

I used Longman for TOEFL and Cambridge for IELTS.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi gigivet,
congratulation you on passing BCSE! I would invite for a drink if you lived in Ohio Valley;).
Finally, I got the point about your notes. I was confused.
Enjoy your success and good luck for CPE :luck:.

P.S. Btw. when do you plan to take the last step?

Oh, now I see what you are saying Cocker. I am sorry! What I meant was that I made my own notes when I was studying and I read those BEFORE the BCSE. Sorry, english as second language...

some people say the most important thing is your letters or recommendation. and they should be from american doctors, preferably working in academia.

Members don't see this ad :)
some people say the most important thing is your letters or recommendation. and they should be from american doctors, preferably working in academia.

my previous reply was in regards to Moonpaw's question. As a general rule,you should do an internship before going to residency. Besides, not all residencies are the same, for some it is easy go get accepted, for some it is much more difficult, so really you can't talk in a general way.

If you want to get a residency in Anaesthesia, you may not have to take an internship and not even navle (you get an educational license as long as you are resident). Most positions are unfilled even after virmp deadline. But after you graduate with a degree in Anaesthesiology, what are you going to do? Most clinics don't neesd anesthesiologists since their vet techs do that job. You may have a better chance working in academia after you graduate (all this staff I know from a professor from Guelph.

On the other hand, if you want to get a residency in, let's say, Surgery or Cardiology it is more difficult because there are less positions and much more candidates, you have to have a very good GPA, take navle before and have very strong and supportive letters of reference from people working in that area. I would suggest you find articles on this issue. I remember readind a very good article last year but I can't remember its name. So just do some research on google and you will find your answers.

Hi guys, I have just received a letter from ECFVG telling me that I have passed BCSE.
I am trying to figure out what I can advise to you who are preparing for this exam. I was in hurry and I didn't have much time to study from Merck so I used VCRC material which was helpful but it doesn't cover every single issue (e.g. diagnostic imagine, parasitology, statistics etc) but it is OK for preclinical science, internal medicine and differential diagnoses.
It is difficult to say whether the test is hard or not as all of us have a different education background and we work in a various kind of practice but in general, the majority of questions is not very complicated. Sometimes is a problem to decide between two of four answers as no is an ,,ideal" answer......I agree with dvmjakish and meavet the biggest part (75% or maybe little more) of questions is asking about small animals, horses and cows. I can remember just one question about poultry, two about pigs, three about sheep or goats, one about ferrets and that's all. Nothing about fish, reptiles, parrots, small mammals....or wild or exotic animals.
There is a couple of questions relating to anatomy, pathology, toxicology, anesthesia, probably 15 pictures (RTG, USG, parasites or necropsy) and a very few from statistics and law. I am sorry I would like to be more detailed (and to help more) but it's prohibited. Well, look at the sample on ECFVG website and you will know what is important for pathology/necropsy, diagnostic imagine and statistics;).

I wish you good luck, don't be scary too much (remember, only one question is right and you have more than one minute for each) and if you have any questions, I would be pleased to answer them.

P.S. I just wonder how gigivet was able to make notes about questions - I got an erasing table and a marker which I had to return after the exam. I was not allowed to bring either Kleenex of a pencil inside:oops:.

:thumbup::)Congratulation to YOU and thank you so much for sharing with rest of us who is about to face that chalenge(I am taking it in May). Good LUCK to you with Navle and CPE.:)

Any of you guys preparing for CPE?
I was wandering if you think it's going to be exactly the same as they say in the new manual. Since it is lot different from the old one. Its much easier so its hard to believe. So especially in clinical patholoy section it says do the fecal but it doesn't say that they will give you samples to read or no differential on WBC and no vainal vytology. It just say do the smear but doesn't say to read it and it doesn't say either that we have to read the patholoy slides.
Anybody knows? Thanks.

Any of you guys preparing for CPE?
I was wandering if you think it's going to be exactly the same as they say in the new manual. Since it is lot different from the old one. Its much easier so its hard to believe. So especially in clinical patholoy section it says do the fecal but it doesn't say that they will give you samples to read or no differential on WBC and no vainal vytology. It just say do the smear but doesn't say to read it and it doesn't say either that we have to read the patholoy slides.
Anybody knows? Thanks.

They should follow the manual. it's not really up to the place to do their own things.
plus it's very time consuming, there will be no time to do everything.

Oh, now I see what you are saying Cocker. I am sorry! What I meant was that I made my own notes when I was studying and I read those BEFORE the BCSE. Sorry, english as second language...
Hi gigivet,
First off all I should tell you congratulation for passing the BCSE and hope to pass CPE as well very soon:).
I'll have the BCSE exam on May.Could you give me a big favor (If you have time) and scan your note summeries about BCSE and send to my email.I mean the materials that you summeries the day before exam, it's gonna be more helpful to have idea and here is my email address, [email protected] .
I would really appreciate for your reply.
Cheers,
Farzin.

Hi gigivet,
First off all I should tell you congratulation for passing the BCSE and hope to pass CPE as well very soon:).
I'll have the BCSE exam on May.Could you give me a big favor (If you have time) and scan your note summeries about BCSE and send to my email.I mean the materials that you summeries the day before exam, it's gonna be more helpful to have idea and here is my email address, [email protected] .
I would really appreciate for your reply.
Cheers,
Farzin.

Hey man, is there anything specific that you want me scan for you?
It is too many stuff, it would take forever to scan everything and plus my notes are of course on my style and may be confusing for you.
Let me know what would be the best for you.
Cheers!

hello evrybody ,
thank you for having me ...I'm new on the forum..
I 'm veterinary graduate from egypt ALEX. university .
applied in 2006 for the EFVCG program with 2 trials with the IBT ,last one was 95 passing everything but the speaking then I just finished the ELIETS I didn't get the results yet .
now going back to materials of studying (NO CLUE)
I got MERK ,I don't know where to start ,should i start with Physiology and anatomy or just jump on medicine ...I m at NOWHERE ,NO HOW situation ...
If Anybody can advise about how I can study any recommindation ..
I 'll appreciate that ..
bu the way i came to the USA since 2001 .
thank you
best of luck to everybody :)

Hey man, is there anything specific that you want me scan for you?
It is too many stuff, it would take forever to scan everything and plus my notes are of course on my style and may be confusing for you.
Let me know what would be the best for you.
Cheers!

Hi gigivet,
My point was just scan your summeries notes and for sure gonna be useful for me. The style for everyone is different but the short materials are the same and be beneficial for all of us.
As I did for my friend that has similar level as me and I summeries the stuff for radiography and some part of larg animals and scan for him.You pass the exam and for sure your expereince and materials are briliant.
By the way, thanks for answering me and wait for anythings that you'll send me to my email and have a good studying.
Cheers,
Farzin.

Hi gigivet,
My point was just scan your summeries notes and for sure gonna be useful for me. The style for everyone is different but the short materials are the same and be beneficial for all of us.
As I did for my friend that has similar level as me and I summeries the stuff for radiography and some part of larg animals and scan for him.You pass the exam and for sure your expereince and materials are briliant.
By the way, thanks for answering me and wait for anythings that you'll send me to my email and have a good studying.
Cheers,
Farzin.

Well, that is exacly what I meant. I have too many summaries to scan and I asked if there is any in particular that you want.
Cheers!

Thanks DVM Jakish.
I hope they will follow the manual:)
I guess I will find out and let you guys know.

They should follow the manual. it's not really up to the place to do their own things.
plus it's very time consuming, there will be no time to do everything.[/quote]

Members don't see this ad :)
When you do your exam they will warn you not to discus the content of the manual or the exam with any one. You will risk losing you license. That why no one come back to the Forum after the CPE.
so if you ever do. Just say thy have followed the manual or not.
Also these go to all people who did NAVLE, and BCSE. Please don't go to any specific about these exams except general info.
Trust me I did the NAVLE twice and none of the question in the first one came in the second one. not even the percentage of questions
across the different species.

Thanks DVM Jakish.
I hope they will follow the manual:)
I guess I will find out and let you guys know.

plus it's very time consuming, there will be no time to do everything.
[/quote]

Hi gigivet,
Cheers,
Farzin.
hi farzin
i wish u the best for your exam.i want to know which exam did u write for english?toefl or ielts?i am still busy with first step.
second:please keep your notes after passing your bcsc, and share it please
wish u best:laugh:

Hey Farzin, I wish my notes will help you!!

And hpoo, I have some good free material for ielts if you want................

hi farzin
i wish u the best for your exam.i want to know which exam did u write for english?toefl or ielts?i am still busy with first step.
second:please keep your notes after passing your bcsc, and share it please
wish u best:laugh:
Hi hpoo,
I did Toefl and I'm gonna share notes for you whenever you want.
Wish you best too.

Hey Farzin, I wish my notes will help you!!

And hpoo, I have some good free material for ielts if you want................
Hey gigivet,
I didn't get your notes, can you please send them again.
Thanks for your kind, and wish you the best.:)

Hi everyone,

Has any one taken the CPE exam in Missouri? I'm taking my exam in Sept. so I wanted to know how's the site. Tough or easy? I heard about other CPE location but nothing about Missouri Vet School. So can someone please give some feedback I'm getting nervous about picking this site. Thanks in advance

vet 0331:confused:

Has anyone take the CPE in Las Vegas? If so, how was it and how did you prepare for it?

Hello everybody :),
I'm the newest guy in the forum now.
I just passed the IELTS, and I'm planning to take the BCSE by the end of the year….maybe.
This site is great!, I read the past posts already, and thanks to that I know what material to use to study for the BCSE, thanks everybody for your input. And any extra advice about the BCSE it's always appreciated.
So far, I can help you if you have any trouble with the speaking section of the TOEFL or the 2nd step in general.
Thanks everybody…..

Hi, I am going to start from a scratch.Can you guide me? e.g. is it easier to get established in Canada or the USA? Whether I should start preparing for the exam before applying for an immigration? or What if i come to the states on a visitor visa [ if the immigration people issue a visa on seeing the examination papers?] and clear exam, then shall i be elligible to stay in the states and get a job? Hoping i m not asking too much from u.
The idea of internship is to get you to the states. I guess you don’t need it now. Since you are here all what you need to do is ether find a place that would hire you and give you a job and give you a work visa, or try to apply for immigration.
If you want to get your license in the states to work in the states you have to be legal residence. Have green card or work visa. Etc…
But if you just want the degree and then work in your country this is different, you can come and do your exams as need it to get the license, without having immigrant status.

When I told you to wait for the registration I thought you are not in the states and it might take you long time to get here, so you spend money for no reason. Now that you made it I guess you can go a head and register.

Here is what you need to work in the USA. For the employer to hire a person especially a vet, one has to have a work visa or green card. you can get this through employment, marriage,…… you can check the www.uscis.gov website for information on how to obtain a green card.
Yes I have been though all that I’ve a green card, Now I’m preparing for my CPE. LAST EXAM.

Hai
I am new immigrant to USA and a graduate in Veterinary Medicine.Hope by now you would have got some lead to resources for NAVLE exam. Can U give me the addresses.

Hello, I am also looking forward to settle in the USA but don't know how to proceed.Can you guide me how to proceed? I am married,have 2 kids.Specially i would like to know--
a) if i register for the exam, shall the embassy people give me a visitor visa to sit in the exam on seeing the relevant papers of exam?
b) if i clear the exam, employers shall give me a job or do they still prefer or can employ the citizens/permanent residents only?
c) what are the other alternative jobs for a foreign vet graduate for which no exam is required?

daak saab kihde chakra vich paye ho...ithe daa kaam difficult aa ... tuhadi age de hisaab naal and 2 kids` naal situation difficult aa..india wich vo lage raho ..wadiya aish karoge ..baaki thodi sharda ;)

Hello everyone!!!:)
I'm new in this forum, and I have some questions about the BSCE. I tried to read the previous posts, but they are too much.

:confused: Can you tell me which books are best for studying for the BSCE?
If you had already taken the test, help me a bit here. I fing many reviews and sites for studying for the NAVLE but not for the BSCE.

Hello everyone!!!:)
I'm new in this forum, and I have some questions about the BSCE. I tried to read the previous posts, but they are too much.

:confused: Can you tell me which books are best for studying for the BSCE?
If you had already taken the test, help me a bit here. I fing many reviews and sites for studying for the NAVLE but not for the BSCE.

Hi, and welcome to the forum, I'm new too, but I read all the previous post and copy the most important posts regarding the BSCE (because it's my next step) and the most important books for the test if you want send me a e mail and I will send them to you.
[email protected]

Hello guys,
do you know how to perform abomasal/rumen gas cap identification test?
And how to differentiate between rumen gas cap, LDA ping and pneumoperitoneum, pneumorectum and pneumocolon?
Thank you,
Jitka.

Hello guys,
do you know how to perform abomasal/rumen gas cap identification test?
And how to differentiate between rumen gas cap, LDA ping and pneumoperitoneum, pneumorectum and pneumocolon?
Thank you,
Jitka.

I have a good doc file , give me your e-mail I will e-mail it to you.

Does anyone knows a state which doesn't requires an ECFVG certificate or can issue a permit to practice veterinary medicine pending ECFVG

Does anyone knows a state which doesn't requires an ECFVG certificate or can issue a permit to practice veterinary medicine pending ECFVG

This is everyone dream. it just doesn't work this way. you have to have a vet license to work as a vet in the U.S.

Some talked before about NY State where you only need the NAVLE. I tried and read the law. it doen't work too. long time ago that might been the story in NY state . but not now.

Getting the vet license is not impossible .You can do it, you just have to try.

This is everyone dream. it just doesn't work this way. you have to have a vet license to work as a vet in the U.S.

Some talked before about NY State where you only need the NAVLE. I tried and read the law. it doen't work too. long time ago that might been the story in NY state . but not now.

Getting the vet license is not impossible .You can do it, you just have to try.

But what i was thinking did anyone read the requirment for each state .... for example North Dakota can issue a Permit pending ECFVG for 2 years that u can work as a vet under the supervision of a lic veterinarian .. when u passes ur BCSE and NAVLE ... so did anyone knows any thing about other states ... from what i heard too the New York requires only Navle and if you was able to proof that you meet thier education requirment from your country they will issue a license .. i heard this form many people .. but i havn't tried it yet ....

But what i was thinking did anyone read the requirment for each state .... for example North Dakota can issue a Permit pending ECFVG for 2 years that u can work as a vet under the supervision of a lic veterinarian .. when u passes ur BCSE and NAVLE ... so did anyone knows any thing about other states ... from what i heard too the New York requires only Navle and if you was able to proof that you meet thier education requirment from your country they will issue a license .. i heard this form many people .. but i havn't tried it yet ....

First thing . do you really want to live in ND.. it's very cold there.
anyways, if that even possible, Do you know what is under supervision means? it might be as bad as checking every case and make sure you did it right or even worse. I don't really know the answer to that. but is there any employer who is welling to hire some one that he has to supervise all the time and be responsible for his/her mistakes. I have a doubt about that.

as far as NY. okay let's say you can. but meeting the requirement is the big issue. I read the law and I don't think anyone of us do meet. if your degree from Australia, England... maybe but not the rest of the world.

if you are looking for place for experience and get paid get the veterinary technician license and work in referral specialty clinic. that what I have been doing for 2 years . I know more than tons of new vets out there who do bad , really bad mistakes, and send them to our clinic to fix.

some people just dont want to face reality so i want to say that whenever you face a situation like ECFVG then plz face it ,fight it or just put ur time into something positive that will help u in ur life rather than wasting time...life is continous struggle not only during ecfvg process but also after that :oops:

Thanks guys for all your reply i am already a tech in an emergency hospital ... i just have to add one more thing about ND permit is that u should finish the 4th year from us school .. just to make all the info accurate, ....

Thanks guys for all your reply i am already a tech in an emergency hospital ... i just have to add one more thing about ND permit is that u should finish the 4th year from us school .. just to make all the info accurate, ....

Great, you are on the right track. Just do it man like everyone else. Do the exams and get your degree and don't wast your times on false hopes.

Hey everybody!
I just passed my NAVLE and can sell you my VCRC books. They all in very good shape and I had them for about a year. The new books price in $360 + $35 US shipping. I'll sell them for $200 - shipping is free in US and Canada.

I also can include Dr. Furman's book and some of my notes.

Thanks any one for the interest, the books are sold. I don't know how to delete my posting, so moderator feel free to take it off.

Good luck everybody with your jorney - it's difficult, but with great rewards at the end!

Hi, I am going to start from a scratch.Can you guide me? e.g. is it easier to get established in Canada or the USA? Whether I should start preparing for the exam before applying for an immigration? or What if i come to the states on a visitor visa [ if the immigration people issue a visa on seeing the examination papers?] and clear exam, then shall i be elligible to stay in the states and get a job? Hoping i m not asking too much from u.​

Hi
I am also in the same mind set as yours.Have you got the answers of your questions?​

hi Everybody...
i am a veterinarian from India and have just arrived in america. like many of you i am also planning to apply for the vety licence in USA. i have found that under the new licence examination system there are two ways to appear for NAVLE. either get registered with AVMA (ECFVG channel) or with AASVB (PAVE channel). the advantage with AVMA is that it's registration fees is $1000/- while of PAVE is $1050. secondly if your high school education medium was english then you get waiver for english language test under ECFVG pattern.

don't know how to start preparing for new step BSCE. what is it's syllabus?
i am going through Merecks Manual as that's the only book i am having at thsi moment.

anybody out there from India who is at my stage and preparing to appear for BSCE please contact me at [email protected]

best of luck to all

Hello
I am also from India,just arrived in USA.I like to know your current status.

well papa, it depends how OLD r u ??? it seems u r old as ur user name indicates....so more older u r are ,less r chances :D....what u did in india ??? working as vet ??? :oops:

well papa, it depends how OLD r u ??? it seems u r old as ur user name indicates....so more older u r are ,less r chances :D....what u did in india ??? working as vet ??? :oops:

Hi
Old is Gold:love: Yes,I am a Vet in India now will try my luck in US/Australia.If you can guide me the entire process I will be highly thankful .
Anyway my dear friend keep in touch with me

hi papa ecfvg process is easy if u go with the steps ok now
1. do toefl
2.do bcse
3.do navle
4.do cpe
5 U BECOME A VET YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA:laugh:
NOW WHEN R U GETTIN STARTED:idea:

hi papa ecfvg process is easy if u go with the steps ok now
1. do toefl
2.do bcse
3.do navle
4.do cpe
5 U BECOME A VET YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA:laugh:
NOW WHEN R U GETTIN STARTED:idea:
On 21st June I am giving IELTS!!!!!! At What stage are you?

papa i have already cleared all the ecfvg process:D so gud luck to u for ielts...take care in listening....what part r u in india from???

papa i have already cleared all the ecfvg process:D so gud luck to u for ielts...take care in listening....what part r u in india from???
Dear,Thank you for the advice.I am from Indore(M.P.).From the last one month I am in USA on tourist visa finding the way to stay here for a long time,may be on F1 Visa.What do you suggest?Please DO NOT suggest marriage (do not want to take second chance):laugh:
How is taking admission in community college? If any other way.... Please do suggest
icon14.gif

well ur visa status is major hindrace to ecfvg process :mad: so may be u should concentrate on touring rather than ecfvg process it is gonna take bout 4-5 years to clear it so better have fun rather than studying:rolleyes:
Dear,Thank you for the advice.I am from Indore(M.P.).From the last one month I am in USA on tourist visa finding the way to stay here for a long time,may be on F1 Visa.What do you suggest?Please DO NOT suggest marriage (do not want to take second chance):laugh:
How is taking admission in community college? If any other way.... Please do suggest
icon14.gif

Hi im new here and im glad i found a group who are experiencing my burden. I am a graduate from other country and i have a CPE exam this coming novemeber of 2008 is there anyone there who can tell me what would i expect on the exam. My emeail add [email protected]:)

Hi,

I am also doing ECFVG. you can also access to ZUKU review and vetprep. The websites are Zukureview.com and vetprep.com

There is also a website of different reviewer and notes Gumshoevet.net and you can access to different review materials and live online lectures from University of Florida. All you need to have is the Broadband internet connection. Hope this will be of help to you guys. I will be doing my CPE on November and trying to get over it.