Foreign Veterinary Graduates

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
:) Congratualation to all of you who passed NAVLE or BSCE. Unfortunatelly I have not passed NAVLE, so now I am facing BCSE. If anybody could share what the BCSE is like and what kind of questions are on that exam. I would appreciate greatfully any sugestions...Thanks much!!!:)

Dera DAVMD,
you can also go back and read the posts in this fourm , I my self have posted couple of times regarding my BCSE experience.. good luck

Members don't see this ad.

i don`t have 5 min , but in hospital that i use to work they had.so i can scan it ,too.if i know how to scan that kind of big books

I think this will be impossible mission to scan 600 pages it's illegal and also very time consuming. it's worth the money to spend. Remember that you are going to be a vet in US and you will eventually need these kinds of books in the future. I recommend this book instead (http://cote.clinicalvetadvisor.com/)

oh, sorry, I did not realize it is such a big book:( 600 pages is quite a lot..

Members don't see this ad :)
hello foreign grads

I wonder why is it so difficult for many to get the NAVLE prep manual or CPE guide. Coz I know in other fields, you can get most of the test prep manuals in book stores or libraries. I am also having a problem in getting the manual. One more thing........what if someone out there build a website (ofcourse not for free)for all foreign grads, for many of the fields that need licensing, to guide us through all the process and provide us the materials needed for the tests.....BIG RELIEF!!!!!!!!!

Please those of you who passed the test (both written and/or clinical) help the others (including me) to get access to the manuals and study strategies.

Thanks,

Hi all,
I've tried looking for the answer to my question, but so far no luck. I'm about to graduate with a bachelor's in Biology in the US, and I might go to RVC for vet school. However, I do plan on coming back to the US. Does anyone know if there is any "bias" against foreign veterinary graduates, the way there is against foreign medical graduates? Also, since RVC is accredited by the AVMA, will I have to take any extra exams upon returning to the US, or will what I've done in the UK be sufficient?

hello foreign grads

I wonder why is it so difficult for many to get the NAVLE prep manual or CPE guide. Coz I know in other fields, you can get most of the test prep manuals in book stores or libraries. I am also having a problem in getting the manual. One more thing........what if someone out there build a website (ofcourse not for free)for all foreign grads, for many of the fields that need licensing, to guide us through all the process and provide us the materials needed for the tests.....BIG RELIEF!!!!!!!!!

Please those of you who passed the test (both written and/or clinical) help the others (including me) to get access to the manuals and study strategies.

Thanks,

Actually,the website already there. it's http://www.avma.org/education/ecfvg/default.asp#steps
this should answer all your questions about how to become a vet in the US. also they will e happy to answer your quesions.
If you read the 9 pages of posts here you also find a lot of questions that has been answered.
after that I and others will be happy to answer anything that might still be confusing.
NAVLE don't have a manual but there is a website also that give you smale questions some are free and some are paid for. the one you pay for they will give you a results that will reflect howgood you are and show you your weak points. here are the websites.
https://apps.nbme.org/navlesa/welcome.jsp
http://www.nbvme.org/?id=23&page=Sample+Questions

as fars CPE manual the will send it to you when you pay for the CPE. You will not need it before that. also they change it all the time, I have two so far. I think you just concentrate on the current exam you will be doing and don't worry about future once.
there is no right way to study , everone does it diffrentley . and every one use diffrent books and materials. you need to know everything and concentrate on the common stuff. in my earlier posts I have mentioned what books I have used to pass BCSE and NAVLE. this doesn't mean that I'm the right way...
hope this help.

Hi all,
I've tried looking for the answer to my question, but so far no luck. I'm about to graduate with a bachelor's in Biology in the US, and I might go to RVC for vet school. However, I do plan on coming back to the US. Does anyone know if there is any "bias" against foreign veterinary graduates, the way there is against foreign medical graduates? Also, since RVC is accredited by the AVMA, will I have to take any extra exams upon returning to the US, or will what I've done in the UK be sufficient?

simply, e-mail the ECFVG at
Educational Commission for Foreign Veterinary Graduates® ECFVG Important Contacts ECFVG E-mail

[email protected]
ECFVG COORDINATOR

Mary Barbosa
Phone: 847-925-8070 (Toll-Free: 800-248-2862), ext 6623
Fax: 847-925-9329 or 847-925-1329
ECFVG ADDRESS

American Veterinary Medical Association
ATTN: ECFVG
1931 N. Meacham Road, Suite 100
Schaumburg, IL 60173-4360
(Suite number must be included on all correspondence)
TESTING COORDINATOR

Ben Curran
Phone: 847-925-8070 (Toll-Free: 800-248-2862), ext 6682
Fax: 847-925-9329 or 847-925-1329

they will answer you question.
there is a list of vet school on the web that are credited by AVMA,
http://www.avma.org/education/ecfvg/ecfvg12.pdf
in the end of the file they will tell you if you will need to do the ECFVG .
regardless where you will study. you will have to pass the NAVLE even if you graduated from the USA.

Thanks dvmjakish

Guys, I have a few questions I'm m striving to find answers. I hope someone here knows the answers (maybe dvmjakish?)

1) BCSE, unlike NAVLE, does not mention the % for each species so that students know on what to focus more.
For NAVLE for example it was 50% small animals, 25% horses if I am not wrong, etc.

2) NAVLE had a more intelligent approach. i.e provided a list of topics, while BCSE does not. This is not very helpful.

Should we still rely on the list of topics from Navle? (at least for pathology)

3) It is unclear how much the passing score is (or maybe they didn't decide yet, is a kind of percentile rank??)

Once these questions addressed, BCSE may prove be easier that the last navle. What they do is to increase over time the degree of difficulty, which means we should take bcse as soon as possible. Correct?

Thanks dvmjakish

Guys, I have a few questions I'm m striving to find answers. I hope someone here knows the answers (maybe dvmjakish?)

1) BCSE, unlike NAVLE, does not mention the % for each species so that students know on what to focus more.
For NAVLE for example it was 50% small animals, 25% horses if I am not wrong, etc.

As far as I can remember the BCSE has the smae amount of % questionas the NAVLE. the exam was 220 Questions about 25 of them photos, mostly x-rays ...

2) NAVLE had a more intelligent approach. i.e provided a list of topics, while BCSE does not. This is not very helpful.

Should we still rely on the list of topics from Navle? (at least for pathology)

Study for the BCSE as you are doing the NAVLE. trust me you will pass. and the NAVLE will be smooth.

3) It is unclear how much the passing score is (or maybe they didn't decide yet, is a kind of percentile rank??)

they never send you a score. they send me a letter says. PASS. So I will think it's also similar to the NAVLE. I did very well on the BCSE I think I would get 90% easily so I can't help you with this one, If I wasn't sure I will pass and I did then I can tell you that it might be 70%... so to be safe paln on answering 165 question correctly out of the 220. I think there is 20 questions that are for future testes that they don't count just like the NAVLE has 60 of them.

Once these questions addressed, BCSE may prove be easier that the last navle. What they do is to increase over time the degree of difficulty, which means we should take bcse as soon as possible. Correct?

I Hope this help. ............................

I have it in my computer, if you let me know how to attach it here I can send it to you guys here.

Hi dvmjakish, i'm glad has someone like you to help us. I do have a question, you like the "national veterinary medical series" , so i was looking on amazon.com and i got a list of books. Could you please check and see if that's all.
1.Small Animal Internal Medicine (National Veterinary Medical Series) by Darcy H., DVM, MVSc Shaw and Sherri L., DVM, MVSc Ihle (Paperback - May 8, 1996)

2.Large Animal Internal Medicine (National Veterinary Medical Series) by Timothy Ogilvie, John R. Pringle, Sherri L., DVM, MVSc Ihle, and Jeanne Lofstedt (Paperback - Mar 13, 1998)3. Small Animal Surgery (The National Veterinary Medical Series for Independent Study) by Joseph Harari (Paperback - Jan 1996)4.Small Animal Internal Medicine: Case Management Test Booklet (National Veterinary Medical Series) by Darcy H., DVM, MVSc Shaw and Sherri L., DVM, MVSc Ihle (Paperback - Jan 15, 1997)5.Functional Anatomy and Physiology of Domestic Animals by William O Reece (Paperback - April 1, 2004)6.Pharmacology by Franklin A. Ahrens (Paperback - Jan 15, 1996)7.Diseases of Cage and Aviary Birds (National Veterinary Medical Series) by Walter J., Jr. Rosskopf and Richard W. Woerpel (Hardcover - Jan 15, 1996)

8.Intraoperative Neuroprotection (The National veterinary medical series for independent study) by Russell J. Andrews (Hardcover - April 1996)

9.Physiology of Domestic Animals (National Veterinary Medical Series) by William O. Reece (Paperback - Jan 15, 1997)

Nvms Canine Anatomy by Bonnie J. Smith (Paperback - April 15, 1999) - Illustrated
11.Cytology and Microscopic Anatomy by Horst-Dieter Dellmann and Jeanine R., Ph.D. Carithers (Paperback - Jan 15, 1996
Thank you so much!

Hi dvmjakish, i'm glad has someone like you to help us. I do have a question, you like the "national veterinary medical series" , so i was looking on amazon.com and i got a list of books. Could you please check and see if that's all.
1.Small Animal Internal Medicine (National Veterinary Medical Series) by Darcy H., DVM, MVSc Shaw and Sherri L., DVM, MVSc Ihle (Paperback - May 8, 1996)

2.Large Animal Internal Medicine (National Veterinary Medical Series) by Timothy Ogilvie, John R. Pringle, Sherri L., DVM, MVSc Ihle, and Jeanne Lofstedt (Paperback - Mar 13, 1998)3. Small Animal Surgery (The National Veterinary Medical Series for Independent Study) by Joseph Harari (Paperback - Jan 1996)4.Small Animal Internal Medicine: Case Management Test Booklet (National Veterinary Medical Series) by Darcy H., DVM, MVSc Shaw and Sherri L., DVM, MVSc Ihle (Paperback - Jan 15, 1997)5.Functional Anatomy and Physiology of Domestic Animals by William O Reece (Paperback - April 1, 2004)6.Pharmacology by Franklin A. Ahrens (Paperback - Jan 15, 1996)7.Diseases of Cage and Aviary Birds (National Veterinary Medical Series) by Walter J., Jr. Rosskopf and Richard W. Woerpel (Hardcover - Jan 15, 1996)

8.Intraoperative Neuroprotection (The National veterinary medical series for independent study) by Russell J. Andrews (Hardcover - April 1996)

9.Physiology of Domestic Animals (National Veterinary Medical Series) by William O. Reece (Paperback - Jan 15, 1997)

Nvms Canine Anatomy by Bonnie J. Smith (Paperback - April 15, 1999) - Illustrated
11.Cytology and Microscopic Anatomy by Horst-Dieter Dellmann and Jeanine R., Ph.D. Carithers (Paperback - Jan 15, 1996
Thank you so much!

Yes , Although the only one that I got are these:
1-Large Animal Internal Medicine
2-Small Animal Internal Medicine
3-Pharmacology
4-Small Animal Surgery
I have used other recourses for Avian, and exotic. The Florida Un videos are great for these sections.
the exotics concentrate on the video and write everything down. Also if you read the exotics in Merck really quick you might get some additional info.

You guys should spend most of your times reading small animals and equine, bovine, then ovine caprine, . pigs ,, I hate pigs..

I have mentioned earlier. When it comes to common viral diseases, like FIV, FelV, .... CDV,.... you need to read them from Merck or other good book. The national series is not good enough for these diseases.

As far as anesthesia, I have mastered this part from doing it for living. I have collected tons of material over the years and made my own paper scraps. but any anesthesia book out there is good . you will need it for future reference so buy one now.
Best book ever is the Small Animal Surgery. This is really all what you need to read for this section. its great and no need to read any more for surgery in small animals.

Study the internal cavities are important to know your way around especially in horses and cows.

Please read as much as you can and concentrate on most common diseases, you will get weird questions and only few will know them.

If you can read the Merck, do it. Get a highlighter and mark the good stuff, so when you read again only read the marked stuff, this will help you save a lot of time when you do the NAVLE or when you read for second time.

I know everyone study in different way, so do whatever you used to, this is not good time to change and try new ways to study.
Try to understand and make sure things make sense this way you will remember it. Memorizing is not going to help you unless you have hard drive in your head. I know some people do.
Make a schedule for your self try to read everything twice if you can, and keep the last day before the exam empty. Sleep in , go out side and see a movie , just have fun and don’t think about the exam. Sleep very well the night before and don’t read anything in the morning.

Last, DO NOT FREAK OUT ,I know easy to say hard to do.. but I have to say it. I am freaking out for the CPE, but this one is different .. 6000$, plus 1500$ for other stuff, and people are watching everything you do…

Members don't see this ad :)
wow ..... DVMJAKISH, you are something special.
thank you so much for all this info. this site really needs you.
you help alot and thanks again
wish you all the luck in the world.
take care

The percentages on BCSE are about this:
-Medicine (etiology, diagnosis and treatmentof disease and dentistry) - 25%
-Principles of surgery and antesthesia - 19%
-Diagnostics (techiniques and imaging) - 14%
-Pharmacology, physiology and toxicology - 14%
-Pathology - 13%
-Anatomy - 11%
-Preventive medicine - 10%

I just took BCSE and I was pretty confortable answering all the questions. What I can say about studying is like dvmjakish said: everyone has to find the way of studing that works for you. I used a variety of sources. What I suggest is first start on making a plan of study and follow it.
-Florida's lectures are pretty good, take notes about them, BUT do not rely just on what they talk about, they give a very very brief overview of SOME of the diseases, go further with large animals. The large animal internal medicine from the nacional veterinary medical series is really good and if you follow it, you will pretty much cover everything. But be aware that the book is from 1997 and the dianostic session is not accurate any more, so follow diagnostic procedures in Merck or somewhere else. And also, some of the "newer" diseases are not there, for example West Nile Dz. Keep in mind the common diseases (as dvmjakish suggested)
-Do not think that if you study superficially you will pass. You won't! So make sure that you know in depth every single common disease.
-I am totally small animal, so I didn't go over much of small animal. Study more the things you know the least.
-I studied a little bit of everything: even histology, physio, ... and what amazed me was the fact that even though there were just few questions about those topics on BCSE, it helped me relearn everything again and this was awesome even to answer clinic questions. It help you to think linearly and succeed in all qustions. That's because I think the big problem, at least in my country, is that we do not focus much on learning the basic subjects in vet school as they do here. And also as dvmjakish said: we all are vets and the more you know, the better you are. It is for our on good! So buy books and keep them coz they will help you in the future.
-In summary, I used nacional series for large animal medicine + merck for diagnosis, florida lectures, my own books, anesthesia I used the Oklahoma lectures, they are awesome: http://instruction.cvhs.okstate.edu/vmed5412/ and the most important thing I did: I took notes of EVERYTHING and read those notes days after the test.

As you all know, we are not allowed to share specific questions, so here is my experience. I hope this help some of you and thanks for all of you that are sharing your experiences as well.
I will be happy to help anyone that still have any question about BCSE.

Hi everybody,
I'm the mother of a graduating vet in Germany. I live Texas as a permanent resident-soon to be citizen. I applied for a family sponsered visa for my daughter (2.5 y ago), but it will take some more years. She wants to come "as soon as possible".
I'm helping her with that and came across this forum. I read it with great interest and gathered a lot of information. I still have some questions and hope some of you can answer me:

1. is it possible to get a working visa for a Vet Technician job (H-1b ?)?

2. does anyone know how the chances are to get an internship thru the matching program?

3. If you don't pass the ECFVG or PAVE do you have to pay the whole fee ($ 6000) again for the next try or how does that work?

thank you
a desparate vet mon :oops:
(hoping for a soon re-union with my only child)

Hi everybody,
I'm the mother of a graduating vet in Germany. I live Texas as a permanent resident-soon to be citizen. I applied for a family sponsered visa for my daughter (2.5 y ago), but it will take some more years. She wants to come "as soon as possible".
I'm helping her with that and came across this forum. I read it with great interest and gathered a lot of information. I still have some questions and hope some of you can answer me:

1. is it possible to get a working visa for a Vet Technician job (H-1b ?)?

yes. Try animal sanctuaries and shelters . she can work for them as a technician even though she is a vet , this way she is doing something the american vets will not do . this is how thing work usually with H1B visa. they pay less but they would help to get the Visa. the visa will cost around 1500 without attorney. it is good Idea to use one.

2. does anyone know how the chances are to get an internship thru the matching program?

This i don't know..

3. If you don't pass the ECFVG or PAVE do you have to pay the whole fee ($ 6000) again for the next try or how does that work?

First fee is only 1000$, this is just for registration. then you pay for the English exam . which is 150$ or so then the BCSE, I think it was 170$ , then the NAVLE around $450. then the CPE 6000$ . if you don't pass any exam then you have to pay again to do it.
Except the CPE . this is 6 sections exam if you pass 3 of 6 then you only pay 1250$ for each section you fail and you have to do it within a year. if you fail 4 or more out of 6 then you have to do it all over again and pay 6000 $. for more info visit this website.
http://www.avma.org/education/ecfvg/default.asp#steps

thank you
a desparate vet mon :oops:
(hoping for a soon re-union with my only child)

I hope this help..........

Thank you so much, you are a great help. i hope you stay in touch with us after you get your license. good luck!

dvmjakish Thank you so much, you are a great help. i hope you stay in touch with us after you get your license. good luck!

I hope this help..........
thank you so much,dvmjakish, this is a great help.
About the internship, she will have to try and find out.
I will keep on reading this forum and get my daughter to do the same once she's over with her finals (she has to focus on that right now)
thanks again

bridgi

hi, i'm a veterinary doctor from morocco, i will come next month to usa with
J1 visa with the section 212E ( two years home country residence rule) to
do an internship for one year in a dairy farm in wisconsin.

My goal is to stay in usa after the end of my program and to be legal
so what will be the best and the easier to me to do :
To work like a veterinary assistant and apply for a waiver( J1 waiver)?
or to find another intership in the unuversity and apply for j1 program
extension ?

Do you have any idea ?

Thank you.

Hi,
I read that you are going to do an internship in dairy farm. If you want to study something else, then it will be a good idea to apply for another J1 (I think you only can apply 7 years for this type of visa then you need to change to an H1b or green card). But if you are not planning to study anything else I will recomend to apply for a waiver (take like 6 month to do all the paper work). You need to find the waiver before you finish you internship.

These videos for everybody ... videos for many diffrent procedures .. good for CPE .. ENJOY

(vt2242) Scrabbing, Gowning and Gloving
http://video. google.com/ videoplay? docid=4490794931 311867191&hl=en

(vt2245) Preparation and Drapping of the Canine Surgical Patient
http://video. google.com/ videoplay? docid=2382367585 890298112&hl=en

(vt2261) Bone Marrow Aspiration Biopsy
http://video. google.com/ videoplay? docid=4953415127 475383802&hl=en

(vt2262) Cerebrospinal Fluid Collection
http://video. google.com/ videoplay? docid=2943261546 584954734&hl=en

(vt2263) Arthrocentesis
http://video. google.com/ videoplay? docid=-354350113 5922235388&hl=en

(vt2264) Urogenital Techniques
http://video. google.com/ videoplay? docid=-175555572 7542969161&hl=en

(vt2265) Tracheal Wash
http://video. google.com/ videoplay? docid=4530645161 387886234&hl=en

(vt2266) Physical Examination
http://video. google.com/ videoplay? docid=-649852772 6437870781&hl=en

(vt2267) Intravenous Catheter Placement
http://video. google.com/ videoplay? docid=-681376800 3129239324&hl=en

(vt2268) Aspiration Biopsy
http://video. google.com/ videoplay? docid=-683904409 9477140674&hl=en

(vt2269) Blood Sample Collection
http://video. google.com/ videoplay? docid=7300703519 205566471&hl=en

(vt2270) Chest Tube Placement
http://video. google.com/ videoplay? docid=7751135571 340200388&hl=en

(vt2271) Restraint of the Dog and Cat
http://video. google.com/ videoplay? docid=-831498803 5011729331&hl=en

(vt2272) Thoracocentesis - Abdominocentesis
http://video. google.com/ videoplay? docid=-747098425 508229890&hl=en

(vt2273) Medication Administration
http://video. google.com/ videoplay? docid=-690875024 611206587&hl=en

(vt2274a) Tail tying
http://video. google.com/ videoplay? docid=-335665491 3389880021&hl=en

(vt2274b) Intramuscular Injections
http://video. google.com/ videoplay? docid=-337900030 4809943715&hl=en

(vt2274c) Subcutaneous Injections
http://video. google.com/ videoplay? docid=-813124358 9817334533&hl=en

(vt2274d) Epidural Anesthesia
http://video. google.com/ videoplay? docid=1931187717 457343937&hl=en

(vt2274e) Tail Vein Blood Collection and Injection
http://video. google.com/ videoplay? docid=-876697190 7276110685&hl=en

(vt2274f) Jugular vein Blood Collection and Injection
http://video. google.com/ videoplay? docid=5179220614 784488271&hl=en

(vt2274g) Restraining D
http://video. google.com/ videoplay? docid=-676121704 8822203559&hl=en

(vt2274h) Restraining C
http://video. google.com/ videoplay? docid=8512037042 653473796&hl=en

(vt2274i) Restraining B
http://video. google.com/ videoplay? docid=-172502694 2547112254&hl=en

(vt2274j) Restraining
http://video. google.com/ videoplay? docid=2526123288 783033228&hl=en

(vt2274k) Placing a Catheter for Urine Sample Collection
http://video. google.com/ videoplay? docid=2526123288 783033228&hl=en

(vt2274l) Urine Sample Collection
http://video. google.com/ videoplay? docid=2965268262 150259000&hl=en

(vt2274m) Milking and Mastitis Testing
http://video. google.com/ videoplay? docid=8893477052 680239982&hl=en

(vt2274n) Oral Techniques: Balling Gun
http://video. google.com/ videoplay? docid=-470665547 1103807428&hl=en

(vt2274o) Oral Techniques: Dose Syringe
http://video. google.com/ videoplay? docid=-101731505 1233171825&hl=en

(vt2274p) Oral Techniques: Examination
http://video. google.com/ videoplay? docid=6414456918 256435222&hl=en

(vt2274q) Oral Techniques: Passing a Stomach Tube
http://video. google.com/ videoplay? docid=-568870134 4067775389&hl=en

(vt2274r) Oral Techniques: Passing a Nasal Tube
http://video. google.com/ videoplay? docid=-473779443 3186086118&hl=en

(vt2353) Fundamental Surgical Technique of Ventral Midline Abdominal Approaches
http://video. google.com/ videoplay? docid=2393994830 837013034&hl=en

(vt2359) Canine Ovariohysterectomy
http://video. google.com/ videoplay? docid=-600102023 1616842861&hl=en

(vt2371) Techniques of Suture Pattern Placement
http://video. google.com/ videoplay? docid=8839639116 937686724&hl=en

(vt2379) Canine Castration
http://video. google.com/ videoplay? docid=-172746043 6995453140&hl=en

(vt2382) Closure of Common Skin Defects
http://video. google.com/ videoplay? docid=-296870658 2643646759&hl=en

(vt2383) Use and Care of Stomach Tubes for Dogs and Cats
http://video. google.com/ videoplay? docid=1262932678 368896855&hl=en

(vt2408r) Hand and Instrument Knot Tying
http://video. google.com/ videoplay? docid=-356231024 9360542139&hl=en

(vt2431) Basic Hemostatic Technique
http://video. google.com/ videoplay? docid=2382273731 435877913&hl=en

(vt2433) Basic Suturing Technique
http://video. google.com/ videoplay? docid=4204125196 632082669&hl=en

(vt2462) Vessel Isolation Technique for Ligation
http://video. google.com/ videoplay? docid=-278723195 9398582475&hl=en

(vt2463) Hollow Organ Repair
http://video. google.com/ videoplay? docid=5411751985 066832927&hl=en

(vt2466) Lateral Ear Resection of the Dog
http://video. google.com/ videoplay? docid=1402559870 499257299&hl=en

(vt2498) Burried Continuous Intradermal Suture Pattern Placement
http://video. google.com/ videoplay? docid=-203938732 3082112980&hl=en

(vt2578) Rabbit Ovariohysterectomy
http://video. google.com/ videoplay? docid=5953436041 779809619&hl=en

(vt2583) Surgical Gloving Techniques
http://video. google.com/ videoplay? docid=8840753626 367623910&hl=en

(vt2594) Techniques to begin and end continuous suture patterns
http://video. google.com/ videoplay? docid=-243908109 5231654891&hl=en

(vt2600a) Bones and Deep Structures - Part A
http://video. google.com/ videoplay? docid=3965765159 619109070&hl=en

(vt2600b) Bones and Deep Structures - Part B
http://video. google.com/ videoplay? docid=4453867078 913684395&hl=en

(vt2600c) Bones and Deep Structures - Part C
http://video. google.com/ videoplay? docid=-151609487 037221612&hl=en

(vt2601) Equine Thoracic Limb
http://video. google.com/ videoplay? docid=7742883613 355143098&hl=en

(vt2602a) Muscles of the Equine Limb - Part A
http://video. google.com/ videoplay? docid=7425991718 584926798&hl=en

(vt2602b) Muscles of the Equine Limb - Part B
http://video. google.com/ videoplay? docid=-804302244 2162666256&hl=en

(vt2602c) Muscles of the Equine Limb - Part C
http://video. google.com/ videoplay? docid=-245049347 9092295209&hl=en

(vt2606) Otoscopy
http://video. google.com/ videoplay? docid=1217406477 566676501&hl=en

forcepsb
http://video. google.com/ videoplay? docid=-340342787 9941835183

forceps
http://video. google.com/ videoplay? docid=-607675452 1493893736

Sutture pattern
http://video. google.com/ videoplay? docid=8518328799 345192540

Suture pattern2
http://video. google.com/ videoplay? docid=-587464868 1364651333

bleeder
http://video. google.com/ videoplay? docid=-696046330 3140401497

needleho
http://video. google.com/ videoplay? docid=-629201187 9790302774

lembert
http://video. google.com/ videoplay? docid=4543969047 577991210

lembert2
http://video. google.com/ videoplay? docid=-244357773 2556771494

scissors
http://video. google.com/ videoplay? docid=-353758846 2748812732

scalpel
http://video. google.com/ videoplay? docid=-503167117 7379526308

Anesthesia orientation
http://video. google.com/ videoplay? docid=6593924606 096931079

subcut
http://video. google.com/ videoplay? docid=7927347987 590744589

simcont
http://video. google.com/ videoplay? docid=1756892059 908015760

512k47
http://video. google.com/ videoplay? docid=-215198417 8529356135

Femoral Head and neck Ostectomy - Cranial Approach
http://video. google.com/ videoplay? docid=-159650485 6513657753

Exploration of the Stifle joint and Removal of a medail Meniscus
http://video. google.com/ videoplay? docid=-146823815 8436285215

Opening/Closing an Abdomen - Abdominal Exploratory
http://video. google.com/ videoplay? docid=-760479333 5673265162

Intramedullary pinning and external fixation for an oblique femur fracture
http://video. google.com/ videoplay? docid=6562453810 517806439

Intestial Resection and Anastomosis
http://video. google.com/ videoplay? docid=4257036499 315243594

Feline Ovariohysterectomy
http://video. google.com/ videoplay? docid=-687566289 7265401347

Feline Castration
http://video. google.com/ videoplay? docid=8543171434 58501067

Canine Ovariohysterecomy
http://video. google.com/ videoplay? docid=-639493160 7597971180

Canine Castration - Closed Technique
http://video. google.com/ videoplay? docid=8030420111 959471100

Clip and Prep - Abdominal Surgical Procedure
http://video. google.com/ videoplay? docid=-270972050 8836818945

Preparation of the Surgical Team
http://video. google.com/ videoplay? docid=8598138760 851436752

Knot Tying
http://video. google.com/ videoplay? docid=1440161667 394754430

Aseptic Technique - Stressing the Fundamentals
http://video. google.com/ videoplay? docid=7046213055 768659288

FLORIDA LECTURES

Foreign Animal Diseases
http://video. google.com/ videoplay? docid=-899817291 0140233037

Public Health
http://video. google.com/ videoplay? docid=-687644900 9808892245

Exotics
http://video. google.com/ videoplay? docid=-720107482 5286031994

Poultry Diseases
http://video. google.com/ videoplay? docid=-477483314 1154024955

Swine Diseases
http://video. google.com/ videoplay? docid=-802673919 4679506207

Ophthalmoloy
http://video. google.com/ videoplay? docid=-513376715 1552388721

Dermatology
http://video. google.com/ videoplay? docid=-261461871 6230298191

Radiology
http://video. google.com/ videoplay? docid=2893584117 489029999

Oncology
http://video. google.com/ videoplay? docid=7633544538 436411663

Small Animal Neurology
http://video. google.com/ videoplay? docid=-153507957 1928241895

Small Animal Cardiology
http://video. google.com/ videoplay? docid=-472473303 6868033503

Feline Infectious Diseases
http://video. google.com/ videoplay? docid=4480711752 817795256

Vaccination Protocols for Canine Infectious Disases
http://video. google.com/ videoplay? docid=6954640576 762987469

Dog, Cat and Equine Reproduction
http://video. google.com/ videoplay? docid=-555641244 1059706543

Small Animal Surgery
http://video. google.com/ videoplay? docid=-916329430 7859401471

Small Animal Endocrinology
http://video. google.com/ videoplay? docid=-683364587 2227174336

Anesthesia
http://video. google.com/ videoplay? docid=8406301410 035245616

Equine Medicine
http://video. google.com/ videoplay? docid=7368813273 555581253

Bovine Reproduction
http://video. google.com/ videoplay? docid=-749641071 2690037238

Food Animal Medicine
http://video. google.com/ videoplay? docid=7948895296 180317427

Veterinary Hematology
http://video. google.com/ videoplay? docid=6406954005 508318564

Toxicology
http://video. google.com/ videoplay? docid=6694363275 40168533

Pharmacology
http://video. google.com/ videoplay? docid=8761074791 872013170

Immunology
http://video. google.com/ videoplay? docid=-365925680 624026339

Pathology
http://video. google.com/ videoplay? docid=-491081199 4534474594

Parasitology
http://video. google.com/ videoplay? docid=4787856112 046128477

Bacteriology
http://video. google.com/ videoplay? docid=-421739120 7171120684

Student Surgery Laboratory
http://video. google.com/ videoplay? docid=-542178215 7597084048

http://video. google.com/ videoplay? docid=1634657542 290245830

http://video. google.com/ videoplay? docid=-163797778 001264197

http://video. google.com/ videoplay? docid=-180198232 2539264303

http://video. google.com/ videoplay? docid=6723493903 018435195

Chest_tube_placemen t
http://video. google.com/ videoplay? docid=-710585966 0871478432

Castration_and_ Declawing_ of_cat
http://video. google.com/ videoplay? docid=-273903817 8875517861

Cardiopulmonary_ resuscitation
http://video. google.com/ videoplay? docid=8803689033 466964284

Caesarean_section
http://video. google.com/ videoplay? docid=-543278148 355518888

Anesthetic_protocol
http://video. google.com/ videoplay? docid=7957140837 274505769

Intubation
http://video. google.com/ videoplay? docid=-555303318 4967545060

pulmonary_radiograp hy
http://video. google.com/ videoplay? docid=-590784851 6802189156

Abdominal_radiology _3
http://video. google.com/ videoplay? docid=2177160575 871693401

Great information thank you very much!!!

Hi! What did you mean about pretest? did you mean vetprep? because I m not familiar with the pretest, if you can tell me more about it , Thanks.

I am really sorry. It is vetprep.

Hi, dvmjakish , i remember reading that you got your vet technitian license before start aplying to the vet license. Could you tell me what did you study and where can i check that info??? Thanks

Hi, dvmjakish , i remember reading that you got your vet technitian license before start aplying to the vet license. Could you tell me what did you study and where can i check that info??? Thanks

HI,
the application process depends on your state. go to department of Health website in your state. the licensing for example. in WA state it's http://www.doh.wa.gov/licensing.htm
then select the veterinary technician. then forms nd applications. You should find info and also you can call them and ask them. That what I had to do because of the weird situation ,vet want to be a tech. they are very nice and helpful. just get your questions ready and explain your setuation. The will quide you.
as far as what I read, this is the best book out there . if you go throughit very well you should pass : Moby’s comprehensive review for veterinary technician. and whatever you already know. this exam was exactly as difecult as the BCSE and almost has the same questions.
good luck.

Hi, Everyone,

I am a vet from Taiwan enrolled in PAVE and now proceeding to Step 4 of the program. However, I have difficulty deciding which pathway to take: Evaluated Clinicl Experience or Veterinary Clinical Skills Assessment (VCSA).

The tuition fee of clinical year program is expensive..($30000~40000/year). VCSA, on the other hand, is more like CPE but it seems to be held only once a year, and you have to take the entire test again if you fail.

Has anyone participated in the clinical year program and learned a lot from it?
And, is it hard to get in?

Does anybody have any idea about the format of VCSA? (same as CPE?)

Any information would be appreciated.

Thank You!

Hi, Everyone,

I am a vet from Taiwan enrolled in PAVE and now proceeding to Step 4 of the program. However, I have difficulty deciding which pathway to take: Evaluated Clinicl Experience or Veterinary Clinical Skills Assessment (VCSA).

The tuition fee of clinical year program is expensive..($30000~40000/year). VCSA, on the other hand, is more like CPE but it seems to be held only once a year, and you have to take the entire test again if you fail.

Thank You!

I don't know much about CPE or VCSA, but I can tell you that doing a clinical year program is certainly worth the money if you are a very engaged student.

Hi, Everyone,

Thank You!
I took the VCSA last January. I didnt pass. I dont think it is extremely difficult, but you are expected to do the things you are asked almost perfect. it seems that now they will only be giving the test once a year, unless more candidates show interest in doing the test this year. The problem is, thatif you dont pass it for the first time, you have already lost pretty much U$10.000, cause you will have to take it again, and also, you waisted a whole yar, which you could be doing the year evaluation and get done with it. In other words, VCSA worth for candidates that will pass on their first try.

Hi, gigivet,

So, have you done the clinical year program for PAVE yourself?

I took the VCSA last January. I didnt pass. I dont think it is extremely difficult, but you are expected to do the things you are asked almost perfect. it seems that now they will only be giving the test once a year, unless more candidates show interest in doing the test this year. The problem is, thatif you dont pass it for the first time, you have already lost pretty much U$10.000, cause you will have to take it again, and also, you waisted a whole yar, which you could be doing the year evaluation and get done with it. In other words, VCSA worth for candidates that will pass on their first try.
Hi,

So glad to hear from a PAVE candidate!
Did you prepare for the exam with the material posted here? like most other people preparing for CPE?
Do we also get a complete brochure about VCSA after registration?

As I went through the thread, I thought CPE wasn't that strict as long as you don't go too far..? So you think VCSA is harder?

Sorry about the bunch of questions..

Thank You!

Hi, gigivet,

So, have you done the clinical year program for PAVE yourself?

Hi CHVet,

Yes, I have done the clinical year 2 years ago for ECFVG while the clinical year was still accepted as the program's 4th step.
I can tell you for sure that is really worth it! I have done residency in my country after vet school and even with that I learned a lot with them here. It is a really tough year, you work a lot, you do not have time for yourself and of course you wil have some bad experiences with certain people, however, the final balance is really really good specially if you want to work in a university enviroment, like internship, residency, research....

I hope this help you.

Hi DVMJakish,

In Alberta (unlike British Columbia, for example) foreign doctors cannot work as vet techs (and that's the future for all north-american states, it seems). So probably this would be the asnwer, to get a vet tech certificate.

When you prepared for the vet tech exam did you take any practical exam as well? And how much did you pay for practical training, if any?

Returning to Alberta, the good news is that after you pass navle you can get a temporary license (up to 2 years) to work as veterinarian
(supervised) until you take CPE. This is unlike Ontario [and, based on what I heard, for USA (correct?)] where you can't do that, unless you pas the "vstep", which is an officialy recognized training for CPE, a joint initiative between the college of veterinarians and the local government to help foreign doctors. In terms of training it is a good idea, but the price is very high, about 20,000 which is a lot of money for foregn doctors.

Did anyone use "Clinical Anatomy and Physiology for veterinary technicians?"

Hi DVMJakish,

In Alberta (unlike British Columbia, for example) foreign doctors cannot work as vet techs (and that's the future for all north-american states, it seems). So probably this would be the asnwer, to get a vet tech certificate.

When you prepared for the vet tech exam did you take any practical exam as well? And how much did you pay for practical training, if any?

No. Only one computer exam. no traning required if you prove that you have vet license from another country. at least this is the case in the USA.

Returning to Alberta, the good news is that after you pass navle you can get a temporary license (up to 2 years) to work as veterinarian (supervised) until you take CPE. This is unlike Ontario [and, based on what I heard, for USA (correct?)] where you can't do that, unless you pas the "vstep", which is an officialy recognized training for CPE, a joint initiative between the college of veterinarians and the local government to help foreign doctors. In terms of training it is a good idea, but the price is very high, about 20,000 which is a lot of money for foregn doctors.

you can get the same experiance if you work as vet technician in a good clinic. emergency or referal surgical clinic, you get paid and you learn, every time you see a case read about it, it will stick in your head forever.
It's hard to work as vet dr and be spervised. that means another vet will have to spend same time reveiwing your cases. it's weird, but nice.

Did anyone use "Clinical Anatomy and Physiology for veterinary technicians?"

I have not.

.....................................................................................................

You will be happy to know that Veti is right and you are wrong. I got my NY state license 2 years ago with doing only the NAVLE...! And I know that they did not change the rules since my best friend who just graduated outside of the US got her license 7 months ago, with the NAVLE only.
After reading your reply to Veti I went back to the NY website and I am thrilled to tell you that you are wrong. Check it out in this link:
http://www.op.nysed.gov/vetlic.htm
actually im confused about ny state license ...but if it is real that you have to pass just the NAVLE to get your license what is the fiest step i have to do?

Thanks dvmjamish, you were helpful like always. Cheers

Hi CHVet,

Yes, I have done the clinical year 2 years ago for ECFVG while the clinical year was still accepted as the program's 4th step.
I can tell you for sure that is really worth it! I have done residency in my country after vet school and even with that I learned a lot with them here. It is a really tough year, you work a lot, you do not have time for yourself and of course you wil have some bad experiences with certain people, however, the final balance is really really good specially if you want to work in a university enviroment, like internship, residency, research....

I hope this help you.
hi gigivet
happy to hear from pave condidate
i am gonna do pave, but i`ve not done anything yet.i am still in first step (preparing for toefl).can u tell me about what u`ve read for qe?
and how long the registration will take?i mean how long before we get ready we have to register?long process?
thanks

Hi hpoo,

I am sorry, I guess I didn't express myself well. I am not a PAVE candidate,
I am an ECFVG candidate, so I cannot help you with info about PAVE.
Maybe Gustavo Brasil may help you (he is a PAVE candidate).
As far as english test, I sugested that you try IELTS instead of TOEFL. IELTS is way easier than TOEFL.

Sorry! Hope this helps you!

Does anyone know if it is any harder for foreign graduate from AVMA-accredited institutions (such as RVC) to receive residencies or jobs in the US?

Moonpaw

If you do a search of birdvet2006 posts you will see she addresses this issue from experience. I believe she graduated from Glasgow, interned in California and is now a working Vet in New Hampshire. I would definitely do a search of her posts as she is a wealth of information.

hi gigivet
happy to hear from pave condidate
i am gonna do pave, but i`ve not done anything yet.i am still in first step (preparing for toefl).can u tell me about what u`ve read for qe?
and how long the registration will take?i mean how long before we get ready we have to register?long process?
thanks

Hi, hpoo,

I just passed the January QE, so I think I may give you some help with this..

The QE is somewhat like the BCSE in ECFVG. I've done the sample questions from both tests, they both cover basic science and pre-clinical subjects. As you go through the thread, you will find a lot of information and useful links about BCSE and NAVLE in the previous posts.

I myself just grabbed an anatomy atlas and a physiology text book and focused on my weak parts, and used my school notes for the rest areas (pharmacology, pathology, microbiology..). Merck Manual is also helpful. Depending on how much time you've got, you can quickly go through the subjects when you study just to get your memory refreshed since most of the questions are straightforward. For some questions you will need to know the exact species name to get the point (microbiology, parasitology..). For example, it would tell you to choose among five microbes which cause the problem described in the question. You may want to pay some attention to that.

For registration, I suggest that you pass the English test before you register because when you apply, you'll be booked to the next QE. However, you won't be able to take the QE until you meet the English requirement.

When your English score is ready, you can apply online and mail all the required documents to AAVSB. Once they reviewed your application, you are enrolled in the program and you'll be notified of the QE location approximately one month prior to the test date.

I suppose you have checked out the PAVE website?
http://www.aavsb.org/PAVE/PAVEHome.aspx

You can contact the program administrator for more information. Her email is at the bottom of the page. I think it's updated since my application.

Does anyone know if it is any harder for foreign graduate from AVMA-accredited institutions (such as RVC) to receive residencies or jobs in the US?

No, It shouldn’t. I even have known a dr. from Germany who did the board surgery Certification before he did the NAVLE. (so he is a board certified surgeon but can't practice in the US) he only wanted to do the NAVLE because he decided to work in the US after he got his surgery board certificate.

as far as jobs. also NO, it's illegal for any employer to ask where you from. if you have a license in the US, doesn't matter where you graduated from. you will find lots of jobs waiting for you.

THanks for all the help, guys. My dad is a medical doctor, and he knows how difficult it is for foreign medical graduates to get competitive residencies in the US, and he's really afraid that I'll have to face the same hurdle if I go abroad for vet school.

THanks for all the help, guys. My dad is a medical doctor, and he knows how difficult it is for foreign medical graduates to get competitive residencies in the US, and he's really afraid that I'll have to face the same hurdle if I go abroad for vet school.
There is a need for more vets in the US. so you will have a good chance. nothing impossible. don't make silly issues like that slows you down. you owe it to your self to give it a try.

Hi guys, I have just received a letter from ECFVG telling me that I have passed BCSE.
I am trying to figure out what I can advise to you who are preparing for this exam. I was in hurry and I didn't have much time to study from Merck so I used VCRC material which was helpful but it doesn't cover every single issue (e.g. diagnostic imagine, parasitology, statistics etc) but it is OK for preclinical science, internal medicine and differential diagnoses.
It is difficult to say whether the test is hard or not as all of us have a different education background and we work in a various kind of practice but in general, the majority of questions is not very complicated. Sometimes is a problem to decide between two of four answers as no is an ,,ideal" answer......I agree with dvmjakish and meavet the biggest part (75% or maybe little more) of questions is asking about small animals, horses and cows. I can remember just one question about poultry, two about pigs, three about sheep or goats, one about ferrets and that's all. Nothing about fish, reptiles, parrots, small mammals....or wild or exotic animals.
There is a couple of questions relating to anatomy, pathology, toxicology, anesthesia, probably 15 pictures (RTG, USG, parasites or necropsy) and a very few from statistics and law. I am sorry I would like to be more detailed (and to help more) but it's prohibited. Well, look at the sample on ECFVG website and you will know what is important for pathology/necropsy, diagnostic imagine and statistics;).

I wish you good luck, don't be scary too much (remember, only one question is right and you have more than one minute for each) and if you have any questions, I would be pleased to answer them.

P.S. I just wonder how gigivet was able to make notes about questions - I got an erasing table and a marker which I had to return after the exam. I was not allowed to bring either Kleenex of a pencil inside:oops:.

Hey I just got my results from BCSE ae well and I also passed! :D
I am happy! My advises for who of you that will take BCSE is some threads above!
Cheers!

Oh, by the way, I did not make notes about the questions. I had just an erasing table and a marker like you cocker. I just know the % of the questions through the ECFVG website.

Congratulations on the BCSE!

The percentages on BCSE are about this:
-In summary, I used nacional series for large animal medicine + merck for diagnosis, florida lectures, my own books, anesthesia I used the Oklahoma lectures, they are awesome: http://instruction.cvhs.okstate.edu/vmed5412/ and the most important thing I did: I took notes of EVERYTHING and read those notes days after the test.

Oh, now I see what you are saying Cocker. I am sorry! What I meant was that I made my own notes when I was studying and I read those BEFORE the BCSE. Sorry, english as second language...

Hi, hpoo,

I just passed the January QE, so I think I may give you some help with this..

The QE is somewhat like the BCSE in ECFVG. I've done the sample questions from both tests, they both cover basic science and pre-clinical subjects. As you go through the thread, you will find a lot of information and useful links about BCSE and NAVLE in the previous posts.

I myself just grabbed an anatomy atlas and a physiology text book and focused on my weak parts, and used my school notes for the rest areas (pharmacology, pathology, microbiology..). Merck Manual is also helpful. Depending on how much time you've got, you can quickly go through the subjects when you study just to get your memory refreshed since most of the questions are straightforward. For some questions you will need to know the exact species name to get the point (microbiology, parasitology..). For example, it would tell you to choose among five microbes which cause the problem described in the question. You may want to pay some attention to that.

For registration, I suggest that you pass the English test before you register because when you apply, you'll be booked to the next QE. However, you won't be able to take the QE until you meet the English requirement.

When your English score is ready, you can apply online and mail all the required documents to AAVSB. Once they reviewed your application, you are enrolled in the program and you'll be notified of the QE location approximately one month prior to the test date.

I suppose you have checked out the PAVE website?
http://www.aavsb.org/PAVE/PAVEHome.aspx

You can contact the program administrator for more information. Her email is at the bottom of the page. I think it's updated since my application.
hi chvet:clap:
thanks for your information
i got my answer for some
which test did u take for english? toefl or ielts?what did u read for them?i am reading longman and barrons books for toefl?congradulation that u passed?