Foreign Veterinary Graduates

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I found interesting post on lawyers web site: Someone asking for help on legal representation for CPE. google parts of it to find original post at justanswer dot com.
What do you think?
"
Hi Lucy, My name isXXXXX great to hear the details and the nuances of my issue. I live in Dallas,TX and the board I want to sue for breach of contract is ECFVG. Its in Schaumburg,IL. I would like to know if you offer consulting service or if you could represent such a case even though you may be in some other state. I am providing details of what happened. I can prove my passing on test as I have made detailed observations on the record. They are not giving me access to my records. Please peruse the details and let me know how I could approach this case or even for a possible representation from you. Thank You

I will go over the brief details of exam and timeline of events so I can present a clearer picture of my claims.

There are several steps to be cleared for practicing Veterinary medicine in USA for a foreigner.

Degree evaluation - I got clearance that it is equivalent to DVM and need to pass clinical Proficiency Exam (CPE here after) to practice.

English proficiency: I passed this

NAVLE ( North American Veterinary Licensing Exam) : I passed this in April 2012.

CPE: There are 7 tests in this part. All practical exams to be taken while being evaluated by University teaching doctors or veteran /Emeritus professionals.

The 7 tests are : Anesthesia, Surgery, Equine Medicine, Small animal Medicine,Large animal medicine, Necropsy, and Radiology.

Rules for clearing CPE: All 7 tests have to be taken at a University or Western Veterinary Conference in Las Vegas. If all 7 tests are cleared in one shot, one can practice. If not, at least 4 tests have to cleared to get 2 chances on the remaining 3 tests. If the remaining 3 tests are not cleared in the 2 chances, everything resets and one has to start all over again and take all 7 tests and go through the same procedure.

My time line and experiences:

December 2010: I took all 6 (at that time 6 only) at Western Veterinary Conference in Las Vegas and passed only 2. I appealed the decision on Radiology and Necropsy and begged to pass me on that section( it was a narrow call) so that I can retake the other 3 instead of retaking everything. The board rejected the appeal.

June 2011 : I retook the test..all 7 of them ( the format has changed from this year)..at Oklahoma State University and passed Equine,Necropsy,Small animal and Large animal medicine. I did not pass Surgery, Anesthesia and Radiology. I did not appeal any of their decisions as I did make minor mistakes and prepared to retake them again. On the Equine section, the professor even complemented me for coming prepared thoroughly.

February 2012: I retook the remaining 3, that is Surgery, Anesthesia and Radiology at Missouri State University. I passed Surgery and Radiology. I failed Anesthesia. The reasons given for failure were 9 minor mistakes. The rule is that if a candidate makes more than 4 minor mistakes then he/she has to retake anesthesia again. I definitely knew that I did not make 9 mistakes and some of them could be proved because of the anesthesia record I had written on the exam. I requested access to my record to prove my point. They denied the request and asked me to appeal. I did that and they rejected the appeal. I went to the next step and petitioned for a review. They rejected that also without ever giving me access to my record. If I had passed that I would have been practicing veterinary medicine now.

Septemebr 2012: Since the appeal did not go through, I had to retake anesthesia. I had 1 last chance before everything reset. I took this test at Las Vegas. They made sure that I knew I was being treated differently than everyone else. They asked questions about my previous appeal. They mentioned Glycopyrolate usage, ( an injection over which I made an argument on my earlier test) and things like that. Even though I did all my procedures right, and the dog was in safe plane of anesthesia, they wont let me finish the test. They said that I placed the endo tracheal tube too deep into chest and kicked me out of test without even letting me finish it. I did not even appeal it as it was palpable that they were mad at me and did not want to make it worse.

April 2013: Everything has been reset and I had to retake all 7 tests. I took them at Tufts university. I did extremely well as I have been taking them for so long. But got a feedback that I passed 4 and failed 3. The failed ones were Equine,Surgery and Anesthesia. Even though I asked to write my findings on Equine,they wont let me write anything. Even the manual provides papers for recording the findings.On anesthesia I performed a perfect procedure with all details recorded on the papers provided. Yet I did not appeal as I got some hope that I could finish the other 3 sooner or later.

December 2013: I retook just the equine test at Tufts again. They did not let me write any of my findings. They failed me again and sent a feedback report that said I did not do the procedures that I have done. I lost hope partially but did not appeal. This is a test that I passed already in Oklahoma and Tufts sent me a report that I did not even give the injection in the correct way.

April 2014: I retook the Anesthesia and Surgery tests at Mississippi. The day before the test the University changed my schedule citing the absence of candidates. They sent me an email to this effect the day before I started the test. They switched the anesthesia and surgery timings. I was never tested with other candidates for my anesthesia. I was tested in a room separate from every one else and monitored every second through out the test.I had a different machine with 2 flow meters, no central oxygen line. The point was to make it difficult. Since I prepared for that as well, I figured out the connections and did really well on anesthesia. They used my anesthesia patient as a demonstration for surgery to their 2nd or 3rd year student creating highly stressful environment. They purposefully tried to wake up the animal while under anesthesia increasing its respiratory rate. I handled that stressful situation also and noted in the record how I managed all the monitoring and how I maintained the anesthesia. They still failed me anyways. I could prove I was doing everything according to protocol if I can get access to the anesthesia record.

On the surgery exam, I let the examiner know that I got a pregnant animal. She asked me to perform surgery as usual.It had about 9 golf ball sized fetuses. Even in practice,without any exam stress it takes much longer to control bleeding and do surgery on a pregnant animal. But they did not give me any additional time and failed me on this. I did everything right, exteriorized the reproductive tract and all I needed was 15 more minutes to close the peritoneum and skin. This is a test I already passed at Missouri University but they keep failing me after that.

I completely lost hope with the incidents at Mississippi university in April 2014. It feels like high school students bullying. I am appalled at how they are harassing me even though I keep going to different locations in the hope that I could get a fair chance at evaluation.

Though it became a long letter, please peruse this and let me know how this situation can be handled legally.Thank you for your patience.

Sincerely"

Sounds scary.
What do you guys think? Is it that tough these days?

I think that many of the candidates who have gone trough the ECFVG program (CPE) can easily conclude that this is a fake (unreal) situation. It contains elements that sound so silly and do not fit and others that are really difficult to believe. Somebody for some reason took the time to create it and write it

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think that many of the candidates who have gone trough the ECFVG program (CPE) can easily conclude that this is a fake (unreal) situation. It contains elements that sound so silly and do not fit and others that are really difficult to believe. Somebody for some reason took the time to create it and write it

Nope. It is legit. Someone did spend ~$100 for legal help on that website.
Quite coincides with general attitude at CPE testing sites.

Nope. It is legit. Someone did spend ~$100 for legal help on that website.
Quite coincides with general attitude at CPE testing sites.
Legit or not legit, whats the point of legal action. My way of thinking its a bad idea..... really bad idea. Are you going suit the high school teachers you went to, college , university, government bodies, dmv, cops, FBI, CIA..... AVMA, ECFVG, State medical boards.....bad idea. Appealing or writing letters, arguments nothing good comes out of it. My one dime of advice you follow the rules take it again and graduate. You are wasting your time.
what is the point of legal action then what you think your license is awarded then what? Will you able to practice with this background, will the national or boards or state boards let you practice 'peacefully'. Every injection or medical case you deal will under microscope :) its not going to end there.............

Members don't see this ad :)
a
Legit or not legit, whats the point of legal action. My way of thinking its a bad idea..... really bad idea. Are you going suit the high school teachers you went to, college , university, government bodies, dmv, cops, FBI, CIA..... AVMA, ECFVG, State medical boards.....bad idea. Appealing or writing letters, arguments nothing good comes out of it. My one dime of advice you follow the rules take it again and graduate. You are wasting your time.
what is the point of legal action then what you think your license is awarded then what? Will you able to practice with this background, will the national or boards or state boards let you practice 'peacefully'. Every injection or medical case you deal will under microscope :) its not going to end there.............
I guess that appealing a decision because you consider there was a mistake during the evaluation Ie: the examiner got out of the manual's rubric, is a right that everybody has as long as it is done respectfully, after evaluating the received feedback and being honest to yourself.... BUT if the candidate has arguments for many things, complains even for the fly that was close to him/her during the palpation test, create a big problem and pretend to sue for it, the consequences at the end obviously are not going to be positive..

Last edited:
Hello,

I'm really sorry if i am saying this on the wrong forum or if this is off topic.
I live in Illinois and my dad had filed the visa for brother to sister and they are really close to getting there visa call.
My Uncle has BVSc & AH degree and has been in practice in India for over 15 years. He went to College of Veterinary Science and Animal Husbandry, Anand also known as Anand Agricultural University in India. He is thinking that it would be a good idea to stay in the USA if he can become a veterinarian here.

my uncle will be here in USA for sure and have visa so that is not a problem.
Me and my uncle would like to know what he has to do to become a veterinarian here.
What exams does he have to take?
In which order does he have to take them?

I have done research and found a couple exams he would have to take but i do not know in which order.
He will not have any problems taking any exams and studying for them.

thank you and please let me know

Hello,

I'm really sorry if i am saying this on the wrong forum or if this is off topic.
I live in Illinois and my dad had filed the visa for brother to sister and they are really close to getting there visa call.
My Uncle has BVSc & AH degree and has been in practice in India for over 15 years. He went to College of Veterinary Science and Animal Husbandry, Anand also known as Anand Agricultural University in India. He is thinking that it would be a good idea to stay in the USA if he can become a veterinarian here.

my uncle will be here in USA for sure and have visa so that is not a problem.
Me and my uncle would like to know what he has to do to become a veterinarian here.
What exams does he have to take?
In which order does he have to take them?

I have done research and found a couple exams he would have to take but i do not know in which order.
He will not have any problems taking any exams and studying for them.

thank you and please let me know
Hi,
If u r uncle is here on an unexpired valid visa,he can go through the process.There are two different programs ie ECFVG(by AVMA) and PAVE(by AAVSB).Both require TOEFL or IELTS(my choice) with certain sectional requirements.Please go through the following websites,you will get an idea,please let me know if u need anything else.All the best
https://www.aavsb.org/PAVE/

https://www.avma.org/professionaldevelopment/education/foreign/pages/default.aspx

can somebody answer my question?
I know ECFVG has 4 steps,for a foreign student you need to pass first 3 steps and then move to the USA to take step4.my question is what if they didn't gave me visa to go to america?! Is it possible?has anybody have any experience about this?
thank you

can somebody answer my question?
I know ECFVG has 4 steps,for a foreign student you need to pass first 3 steps and then move to the USA to take step4.my question is what if they didn't gave me visa to go to america?! Is it possible?has anybody have any experience about this?
thank you

I bileave it is quite general question to visa applications. Most of people come as tourists and take CPE exam - no questions asked by USCIS - you come to spend money. If you have problems ask more targeted forums.

Reactions: 1 user
after I accepted for BCSE, how many days after that should I take my CPE exam?
Is there any limitation? for example one year or sth like that.
TnQ

after I accepted for BCSE, how many days after that should I take my CPE exam?
Is there any limitation? for example one year or sth like that.
TnQ

There are no time limits. If 2 years have passed since you enrolled into the program, you can re-register for 100$ and keep taking your exams.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone,

It's so good to find this forum. Making me feel that I am not alone in this long process of US vet licensing.

I am doing PAVE program. And I am wondering if anyone can give me an idea about the 4th step, Evaluated clinical experience?
Which school did you go to? How's your experience about it? And the tuition cost of it?

Just feels that there is not much insider information about this step.

Thank you all!!

Hi everyone,

It's so good to find this forum. Making me feel that I am not alone in this long process of US vet licensing.

I am doing PAVE program. And I am wondering if anyone can give me an idea about the 4th step, Evaluated clinical experience?
Which school did you go to? How's your experience about it? And the tuition cost of it?

Thank you all!!
Hi,
As per my knowledge there are only 2 vet schools offering evaluated clinical experience.Oklhoma and lousiana.Fees around 35,000$ and 45000$ respectively.By the way did you pass QE??
All the best

Hi everyone,

I'm taking the CPE in this November.

I have no clue what will happen in the exam.

Can anyone give me a heads up??

Thanks!!!

PS My weakest is farm animal :‘(

Hi,
As per my knowledge there are only 2 vet schools offering evaluated clinical experience.Oklhoma and lousiana.Fees around 35,000$ and 45000$ respectively.By the way did you pass QE??
All the best

Hi bkrvet,

According to the PAVE website, I thought there are at least 6 vet schools that are accepting PAVE candidates.
Here's the web page: https://www.aavsb.org/PAVE/ClinicalExperience/
But who knows how big the odds are of getting into them.

I am preparing for the QE right now. Planning to sit in on January, 2015.
How about you?

Cheers!

Hi everyone,

Thanks!!!

All the best and post your experience.

Hi everyone,

Thanks!!!

Read manual of administration very carefully. Everything they ask is in the manual. The better you know it - less stress.

Hi all , any one will prepare for CPE exam and will be in las vegas 2015 email me we can prepare study together
best of luck for all [email protected]

Hi everyone,

Does anyone know a farm animal veterinarian in California to practice with before the CPE?
I have my exam in December but I cannot find a large animal vet that can train me...

Thanks,

Eden
Hi Eden,
I am planning to take CPE in 2015. Do you mind if I contact you? if so how?
Thank you.
VB

I chosen Tuskegee because my in laws live in Alabama, basically was convenient. In addition I have not heard good things about Vegas so that was the last place I would want to go to take the test. However that may not necessarily be true I did not want to give it a try.

Hi, I am planning to take CPE (2015) in Tuskegee. Do you mind if I contact you? May I know how to contact you.
Thank you.

hi guys i took BCSE like a week ago and i must say it was very difficult...i studied very carefully from zuku like few months but i understood that zuku is not defininetly enough..on the test was so much anatomy and cardiology -...i heard that its getting more and more difficult like a year ago zuku was enough but obviously not any more...i did all the test from zuku and i did very well on them..from which book i can study anatomy?can you give me hint..?so i dont want to scare you but zuku is not enough..im waiting for results but i wouldnt expect to much...

Last edited:
Hi, I'm a Veterinarian from Peru. I'm enrolled en the ECFVG program of the AVMA to get my licence. I would like to contact another foreign vets enrolled in the same program to interchange experiences and information or any other vet who can give some information about groups of study or material available before I take the boards.
Hope to hear from you soon !

I have completed ECFVG.

Dear vets from all over the Earth!

Is it possible to prepare for NAVLE and CPE without working at vet clinic?

What kind of a job possition is possible to take since I'm not a certified vet yet?
Yes, I did. But It will cost you time and money!

Hi, I'm a Veterinarian from Peru. I'm enrolled en the ECFVG program of the AVMA to get my licence. I would like to contact another foreign vets enrolled in the same program to interchange experiences and information or any other vet who can give some information about groups of study or material available before I take the boards.
Hope to hear from you soon !

I can assure this is a very real situation, as I am representing a client dealing with the exact same issue. I am wondering if there is anyone else who appealed their CPE results and been treated unfairly on subsequent exams. It would be interesting to see if a pattern emerges.

To be sure, the reason for the student's legal action is due to the fact that he feels the exam administrators have put a target on his back merely because he attempted to appeal the results of his exams, thereby making it impossible for him to ever pass the exam.

Phila! Don't worry about that! ... Try to read the most important chapters on a physiology book so you can refresh your knowledge and get a better idea! CARDIO, BLOOD, URINARY, RESPIRATORY, and REPRODUCTIVE are the most important to understand the physiology per se.

Anatomy, you will catch it when reading physiology, and also you can focus on musculoskeletal (especially in the horse).. Some other things like major blood vessels or the completely understanding of the heart are necessary.

Don't worry.. you will be OK!.. Just study, and be constant..

By the way, I think I have some files on pdf I could share with all you, but I dont know how to upload them! *help*!!

:luck: Good Luck!!!

Yolanda
please share it to me as well.. here's my email.. [email protected] Thanks a Lot!

hi guys i took BCSE like a week ago and i must say it was very difficult...i studied very carefully from zuku like few months but i understood that zuku is not defininetly enough..on the test was so much anatomy and cardiology -...i heard that its getting more and more difficult like a year ago zuku was enough but obviously not any more...i did all the test from zuku and i did very well on them..from which book i can study anatomy?can you give me hint..?so i dont want to scare you but zuku is not enough..im waiting for results but i wouldnt expect to much...so please review anatomy and surgical approaches and anatomical landmarks...

I also got failed in BCSE. Please help me. You can email me at [email protected] for sharing any information.

Last edited:
Hello foreign trained-veterinarians, I am from India, and I failed in BCSE exam in first attempt last year and after attempting BCSE exam I had found that I was weak in Radiology (diagnosis of X-ray/Radiographs), Clinical Vet Pathology, Physiology, Clinical anatomy, Surgery & Anesthesia areas.

I prepared from Merck Veterinary Manual 9th edition, NVMS Small animal internal medicine & NVMS Large animal internal medicine, Zuku Review 45 days + Zuku notices (Zuku review not enough for BCSE), and radiology from online resource www.veterinaryradiology.net and online Merck manual X-rays/Images but these books/resources are not enough to pass the BCSE exam in now a days. Many questions in BCSE were asked about clinical approaches in various clinical surgeries, barium injected radiographs, many radiograph diagnosis from Equine fractures, Canine fractures.

I think BCSE exam became much harder than last yearS. Please help me. You can email me at [email protected]

Last edited:
hi guys i took BCSE like a week ago and i must say it was very difficult...i studied very carefully from zuku like few months but i understood that zuku is not defininetly enough..on the test was so much anatomy and cardiology -...i heard that its getting more and more difficult like a year ago zuku was enough but obviously not any more...i did all the test from zuku and i did very well on them..from which book i can study anatomy?can you give me hint..?so i dont want to scare you but zuku is not enough..im waiting for results but i wouldnt expect to much...so please review anatomy and surgical approaches and anatomical landmarks...
----------------------
Plz email me at [email protected]

Last edited:
----------------------
Plz email me at [email protected]
actually i passed it i was lucky but honestly and i was preparing from merck,mosby tech manual and zuku review... but there are way more surgery questions -since the new format of BCSE and honestly i have no idea from which manual to prepare for this..(the BCSE changed since july 2014 more anatomy and surgery question)

Last edited:
im preparing for NAVLE which studing material i should use except vetprep because looking at the question i have impression that vetprep wont be enough...there are so many surgery question which surgery book is good for NAVLE?

actually the BCSE changed the format since July 2014 there is info about outline of content on avma website..its more question in surgery and anatomy which zuku doesnt cover at all so its not enough anymore...

im preparing for NAVLE which studing material i should use except vetprep because looking at the question i have impression that vetprep wont be enough...there are so many surgery question which surgery book is good for NAVLE?
For Sx= Small animal surgery textbook by Fossum
For Small animal medicine= Five Minute veterinary consult: K9 and feline and/or Merk veterinary manual

does anybody know if there is a lot of differences between 1st and 4th edition of small animal surgery textbook by fossum?because the price difference is like 4-5 fold...

does anybody know if there is a lot of differences between 1st and 4th edition of small animal surgery textbook by fossum?because the price difference is like 4-5 fold...
1st edition is enough for you as far as NAVLE is concerned. You are not going to read whole book anyway.

Nothing too weird = all cases came from the list. I strongly believe that I would have passed the CPE without reading anything, because all the cases were very simple or I have already encountered them while working and doing rounds with large animal vets. However that being said, I don't recommend not studying. It could be a good luck that I got cases I was familiar with. This might not be the case with others..
Read all of diseases that listed and concentrate on the most common..
Also do all the things that you will be doing physically in the test and listed in the manual. These little things will help your spirt in the exam..
I have e-mailed you the best files I have. I might send you more later..
Good luck. .

Hi dvmjakish, could you send me those files too? I am preparing the BSCE and any help would be welcome! [email protected]

Hi everyone,

Thank you all!!
I know someone doing the rotations. They are with 4th year vet students from that university it's 8 months and no financial aid. You pay the same tuition that any other student pays plus you have to get an apartment.

Yes, I did. But It will cost you time and money!
Yes in Alabama Tuskeguee for 250 a week they train you and their are course in small animals etc. that you can take all over the United States. The biggest problem is surgery I would recommend going to your country for surgery practice easier then US.

Unfortunately Vetprep and Zuku are really the only true options and NBVME offers no help at all with books or material. The only thing that I recommend it the job anaylsis on NBVME.org offers a lot of help on exam content. I plan to use the job analysis to see if that helps because I have done zuku and vetprep and fail by two or three percentage points something is missing.

Unfortunately Vetprep and Zuku are really the only true options and NBVME offers no help at all with books or material. The only thing that I recommend it the job anaylsis on NBVME.org offers a lot of help on exam content. I plan to use the job analysis to see if that helps because I have done zuku and vetprep and fail by two or three percentage points something is missing.
A lot of people use vetprep and zuku and pass on first try just very difficult scoring of the exam it's a toss up really. The sad thing is sometimes 100 out of 100 students pass the exam in a US vet school and so many people fail the exam really hard to fathom but hey it's what we have to deal with because we didn't go to US school.

Last edited:
Do zuku and vetprep at the same time if you have the money.

i have still subscrpition from zuku after BCSE so still have access to zuku flash cards ,strategy notes and test questions..i checked the navle free sample and i noticed that flashcards and notes and even many test questions are the same for NAVLE like BCSE...do you think there is a big difference between zuku NAVLE and BCSE program?because actually i didnt purchse zuku NAVLE program only i have still BCSE subscribtion

Do zuku and vetprep at the same time if you have the money.
In my opinion, having both Zuku and Vetprep is just waste of time and money. Both have covered same topics (diseases).
I would definitely advise to get online NVMBE questions. You have to pay for that but believe me its worth it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Dear vets those who passed BCSE exam. which books you have used for preparing Surgery section, Veterinary Anesthesia, clinical anatomy , vet anesthesia , veterinary pathology and physiology , X-ray clinical case diagnosis, fractures , management of common diseases in large animals.

Last edited:
hi i used zuku of course,merck manual and mosby tech manual...plus navle lectures from vetelib on youtube and small animals and radiology lectures. and of course vet radiology website ..for anasthesia i used only mosby manual for vet tech..i was not very happy after taking exam but i passed...for surgery there is very good website www.acvs.org and i highly recommend website www.marvistavet.com (it covers many questions from zuku and vetprep)thats all what i used i know for surgery there is good book of fossum thats all how i can help..