FP to IM switch - help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

toby2000

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am a family practice intern in a very good community program in the Northeast. I have decided rather late in my intern year that I would be much happier doing internal medicine or a subspecialty of internal medicine. There is no internal medicine program in my hospital so I do not know who to get advice from. I was hoping that someone here could help me out on how to proceed. I would probably have to do part of or all of my intern year over again and am willing to do that.
I was hoping not to scramble next week because I am actually on long call scramble day. Any advice would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I dont have any actual experience doing this so its just my opinion but I would think at this point, assuming you want to begin your PGY1 year as IM this upcoming June/July, you have have to scramble into a spot. Either during the upcoming 2 days after the 15th OR I have heard positions are around all the way up to as late as June. If you dont go this route you could check with your PD (I dont know how kosher this is?) for help. He may know of nearby IM places w/ openings. Other that all, if nothing is working out I think the only other route would be to go through the match offically next year for a 2006 spot.

Of course if you are waiting for next year's match you would have to find something to do. If you did another year of FM, then you'd be really close to finishing. Have you though of calling IM PDs in the city you live in, or in cities you would like to live in?

Members don't see this ad :)
My understanding (and I think someone posted it here as well) is that the scramble goes on for 2 days, so you could always try the second day.. If there are any PGY-1 or PGY-2 openings in the few combined IM/FP programs out there (EVMS, Oschner) or Med-Peds programs you would probably already have some credits and have an easier time getting a second year spot if you're willing..

Although I wouldn't recommend just scrambling into any IM position. It would be unfortunate if you scrambled into an IM program where you didn't like the program itself.

Thank you for your replies. Do you think that doing a preliminary medicine year would be a good idea?

Isn't your FM intern year essentially a medicine prelim year?

Furrball said:
Isn't your FM intern year essentially a medicine prelim year?

No. At best you'll get partial credit and can get a PGY-1 year with advanced standing, if there are vacancies and they like what they see. If you're truly set on this, and don't want to waste the year, you must scramble. Of course, this puts you in a bad position with your PD, because without warning s/he suddenly has an unfilled PGY-2 spot at the last minute. Depending on whether this individual is a real nice understanding guy/gal, s/he might help you with the [usually] necessary PD letter, which allows you to leave with grace. If not you just might have a helluva ride.