Friday thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I’ve been putting booze in foods (e.g., baked goods, meat, soups/stews)...

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I’ve been putting booze in foods (e.g., baked goods, meat, soups/stews)...
Marinating some steak tips in a bourbon and brown sugar marinade as I type this. Great recipe- be sure to grill up the onions.

While we're on the topic, I'm whipping up a batch of orgeat syrup to make some mai tais next week. Never made it before. Looks pretty nasty right now- a brown slurry. Any thought on cheesecloth substitutes? I'd run out to grab some, but I don't think that "cheesecloth to strain almond syrup for pretentious cocktails" fits the governor's definition of an essential errand.

Reactions: 1 user
Marinating some steak tips in a bourbon and brown sugar marinade as I type this. Great recipe- be sure to grill up the onions.

This sounds fantastic. I’ve been toying with the idea of making bourbon brown butter cookies, so maybe I’ll pick up some bourbon and make this stuff as well.

Any thought on cheesecloth substitutes? I'd run out to grab some, but I don't think that "cheesecloth to strain almond syrup for pretentious cocktails" fits the governor's definition of an essential errand.

I’ve used coffee filters in a pinch, but it’s a labored task. Requires a lot of stirring/pressing.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I’ve used coffee filters in a pinch, but it’s a labored task. Requires a lot of stirring/pressing.

I thought that, but this stuff was way to thick and required a bit of "persuasion." I used a metal mesh strainer and it worked fine. Still haven't used the sruff yet. I was thinking rum drinks this weekend, but now rumor has it there could be a big snowstorm, so back to brown liquor!

I just came here to say I made this, and it was delicious!

Members don't see this ad :)
I third this; Palomas are under-discussed on the Friday thread. Too bad there’s no grapefruit soda available for delivery around here.

Amazon Prime Now (fulfilled through Whole Foods) offers sparkling Grapefruit juice...it's one of my favs. WF pricing is much improved since Amazon took over. It's still not Trader Joe's (my base comparison for all non-specialty food shopping), but fine for some stuff. I get my meats from a local butcher or COSTCO, but sparkling grapefruit juice....lots of sparkling juice options. Avoid WF Triscuits though....they are trash.

I felt like I was finally catching up...and then my counselor dropped her notes off for the week, and then my psychometrician dropped off 3 more evals to write up. The good news is staying busy keeps the lights on, so there is that.

A devastating day: grocery delivery brought me the wrong margarita mix. Sub-par, “skinny” mix that’s unsalvagable even with double-Cointreau.
IMG_0527.gif

Weekends are such a fluid concept lately.

Reactions: 3 users
A devastating day: grocery delivery brought me the wrong margarita mix. Sub-par, “skinny” mix that’s unsalvagable even with double-Cointreau. View attachment 306468
To be fair, this is what you get for not making your mix yourself. I can't pity your bad life choices. ;)

I've gone through more whisky in the last three months than I did in the prior three years...

Tonight, we're getting take out sushi and I'm making an old fashioned. :thumbup:

Had some "rinded" lemons and oranges leftover from citrus cream sauce (for linguine), plus half a grapefruit from not sure what. Juiced it all up, add some vodka and simple syrup, top with seltzer. Damn good!

Reactions: 4 users
I'm not a fan of Animal Crossing. I feel like I have enough daily chores to do in my own life without also adding ones in a game.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
To avoid purchased-mix nightmares, I've been having gin and San Pellegrino Limonata. Not too sweet, refreshing, summery, and no one buys out all the San Pellegrino where I'm from. Benefits of being rural. :cat:

So my last ship-to-home wine experience was a bust. Has anyone found a good direct shipping service for wine?

So my last ship-to-home wine experience was a bust. Has anyone found a good direct shipping service for wine?

I just belong to clubs from particular wineries. Never have I missed a shipment, I get higher quality wine, and sometimes some free ****!

Bought a pack of nice local IPA (Building 8), as well as some Genesee Cream Ale (imho the best cheap beer there is). Also some rum for daiquiris.

Last few weeks been turning part of car port into a screen porch. Vacation camping trip to Mount Desert Island/Acadia cancelled, so spending the money and time on this project. Getting close to finished. The day after we put up screens, a freaking bear ripped through one! Fortunately it didn't come in- door to house was open and I was in basement doing a zoom assessment. Alas, it would've been cool to say my assessment was interupted by a bear!

Last edited:
  • Wow
WHAT?! That's amazing

It's my go to place for buying scotch and wine, so I have a decent tier of the rewards club thing. In that tier you can enter to win a chance to buy it at retail cost. I got lucky this past year.

Other than that, I've just been buying beer from the brewery I have shares in. Might as well help keep my investment afloat if I'm gonna drink beer.

As for this weekend, gonna start boxing with a friend again, some grilling, easy yardwork, maybe some board games.

Reactions: 2 users
Also, if you have a total wine by you, you can usually get quick delivery, or easy curbside pickup. They also have a member program for some things, that's how I got me some cheap Pappy.

I just belong to clubs from particular wineries. Never have I missed a shipment, I get higher quality wine, and sometimes some free ****!

Total Wine is great and probably is the single best option. I like variety in my cellar (did I say cellar? I meant my laundry room :shifty:), but I might have to reconsider a winery club or three.

I guess I'm looking for a true online-only wine buying experience that doesn't exist. There is a lot of gimmicky junk out there.

Total Wine is great and probably is the single best option. I like variety in my cellar (did I say cellar? I meant my laundry room :shifty:), but I might have to reconsider a winery club or three.

I guess I'm looking for a true online-only wine buying experience that doesn't exist. There is a lot of gimmicky junk out there.

Also, try out Cellar Tracker for an app. Helps me keep track of when I should be enjoying the wines in my cellar/basement.