Full-time research assistant/technician

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Garurumon

a digivolving wolf
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm hoping to get some lab experience this summer after I graduate in May. I don't qualify for a lot of the undergraduate summer research programs anynore. Because they're so selective, in past years I've tried without success to apply and get in. I'll be attending a formal post-bacc program OOS this fall, and there I plan on being a university employee to get tuition assistance and cover rent. Before then, I want to get some lab experience established this summer if possible, and ease my way in to the routine so I can be ready for juggling a full-time day shift and evening coursework this fall. I've been searching for entry-level jobs where I live, and ones requiring work at a university or hospital caught my interest, but none of them mention how long I'd have to work. I'm aware of the usual 40 hours a week, 8-5 Mon-Fri bit, but I don't know the long-term commitment. Is it feasible to work in my hometown for a few months (May-August) before I have to leave for the post-bacc? Or do they ask for a longer commitment? I'm not sure if these jobs are student-friendly. I'm at a loss with how to go about this. Any other advice regarding clinical or research summer jobs is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on the lab. If they're tech jobs though I doubt they would want you for only a couple of months. By the time you were trained in any useful technique you'd be leaving soon.

Reactions: 1 users
I agree with the poster above.

I've found two very solid summer research opportunities on Craigslist. Some universities have their UROP programs during the fall and winter for their research students, but during the summer they're short-handed so they post on craigslist or other job sites. Anyways, it's an amazing resource that a lot of people don't use, so I would check there for a short-term position if you're near a big city!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone,

I'm hoping to get some lab experience this summer after I graduate in May. I don't qualify for a lot of the undergraduate summer research programs anynore. Because they're so selective, in past years I've tried without success to apply and get in. I'll be attending a formal post-bacc program OOS this fall, and there I plan on being a university employee to get tuition assistance and cover rent. Before then, I want to get some lab experience established this summer if possible, and ease my way in to the routine so I can be ready for juggling a full-time day shift and evening coursework this fall. I've been searching for entry-level jobs where I live, and ones requiring work at a university or hospital caught my interest, but none of them mention how long I'd have to work. I'm aware of the usual 40 hours a week, 8-5 Mon-Fri bit, but I don't know the long-term commitment. Is it feasible to work in my hometown for a few months (May-August) before I have to leave for the post-bacc? Or do they ask for a longer commitment? I'm not sure if these jobs are student-friendly. I'm at a loss with how to go about this. Any other advice regarding clinical or research summer jobs is appreciated.

Are you also trying to get paid for your experience? I'm a full time tech now, but in the labs at the hospital I work in, many students (high school through recent grads basically) email the PIs with their CVs, come in to interview, and can end up volunteering on a schedule decided between them. It's not a formal program, but a lot of them are here 9-5. You can email heads of research departments and ask whether it is appropriate to contact PIs directly for volunteering. It is hard to do without experience, however, because usually new people spend a ton of money learning

Are you also trying to get paid for your experience? I'm a full time tech now, but in the labs at the hospital I work in, many students (high school through recent grads basically) email the PIs with their CVs, come in to interview, and can end up volunteering on a schedule decided between them. It's not a formal program, but a lot of them are here 9-5. You can email heads of research departments and ask whether it is appropriate to contact PIs directly for volunteering. It is hard to do without experience, however, because usually new people spend a ton of money learning

+1 for this!

Volunteering is a great way to get your foot in the door but be careful. You can easily become the dish washer/autoclaver if you don't voice yourself appropriately.

I volunteered for my first gig. Much easier to get a legit position after you have some kind of experience. If we're talking clinical research, it's as tough for them to find people as it is for you to find them. Most don't understand informed consent, source docs, IRB, data entry/RDC, etc.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far! I'm just trying to get in my foot in the door, like you've said, so that it can prep me for bigger responsibilities and more important tasks in the long run.

I work as a full time research assistant. Almost all jobs require a 1 year commitment since it takes basically a month just to train you. If you work for free then its a different story...

I work as a full time research assistant. Almost all jobs require a 1 year commitment since it takes basically a month just to train you. If you work for free then its a different story...
Oh I see. Would I have a better chance finding work without the pay? Earning money isn't a big factor for me right now; what's more important is doing something productive and learning this summer.

Reactions: 1 user
yes, its far easier to work without pay. I landed my first 2 summer and current year long research gigs this way. Just type up an email to a bunch of professors/PIs explaining your background and asking if they need any help in the lab. Dont mention pay at all. Just make it clear youre happy to help wherever youre needed.

Reactions: 1 users
Sorry, another question came up: if I email multiple professors, and one (or more) happens to accept my volunteering request, how do I politely notify the others that I've taken this position elsewhere? Or I could email one professor at a time and wait for his/her response, but I figure that'd be less efficient.