full time scribe or (legit) internship in Africa?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Should I take this opportunity over a guaranteed full time medical scribe job?

• Yes

Votes: 21 77.8%
  • No

Votes: 6 22.2%

• Total voters

rhododendron

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Go to Africa! That sounds like an amazing opportunity. And you can always scribe before you go/when you get back.

Reactions: 2 users
duh africa. i did something similar and it came up in every interview multiple times.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Africa. You can probably do the scribing still when you get back.

However, do make sure you'll have stable internet/enough time to work on secondaries in Africa, or plan to prewrite everything.

Reactions: 1 user
Africa! Scribe companies are constantly hiring so I doubt you'd have difficulty obtaining a position when you returned to the US. When would you leave for Africa?

Without a doubt Africa. I spent the best years of my life living and working in sub-Saharan Africa. I wouldn't trade that time for the world. Even if it didn't help you get into medical school, you should go.

You will probably be a better applicant, you will definitely be doing a better job of living your life to the fullest.

What country would you be going to?

Without a doubt Africa. I spent the best years of my life living and working in sub-Saharan Africa. I wouldn't trade that time for the world. Even if it didn't help you get into medical school, you should go.

You will probably be a better applicant, you will definitely be doing a better job of living your life to the fullest.

What country would you be going to?
That's a good point, sometimes I forget that applying to med school is not the entire purpose of my life haha.

I'd be going to Malawi

Africa! Scribe companies are constantly hiring so I doubt you'd have difficulty obtaining a position when you returned to the US. When would you leave for Africa?
I'd leave in June and come back in August. So you think it's feasible to be hired as a scribe any time?

Africa sounds like a brilliant life experience

Scribing companies have crazy turnover and are continually hiring

Lol "should I go on an incredibly unique and eye-opening all expenses paid adventure of a lifetime OR work for 10 bucks an hour at a cliche pre-med box-checking job?"

Go with the former.

Reactions: 2 users
Yeah I would go to Malawi. Look into prepaid internet plans that come with certain amounts of data that you can use to browse the Internet. Pretty cheap when converted to dollars, so you should be fine.

Africa, no doubt.

Try to talk to the scribe company and see if they can defer your employment/training until after you come back. I've known people who have had this done with ScribeAmerica (not sure who your scribe gig is with).

I would do Africa.

Talk to a scribe company about potentially starting after you return.
Many companies have most of their turnover early summer as people leave to enjoy the summer before school. These spots are filled by new grads mostly in May/June.

It's not unlikely you'll still find a position in August, but it's not a 100% sure thing if you wait.
Despite that, the Africa thing outweighs the risks imo even if you can't have it set up when you get back