"Funny quotes from 'less informed' pre-meds," On-Topic Edition

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So this happened to me the other day. Not an uninformed pre-med but a somewhat uninformed guy that I only know as an acquaintance through a coworker. We were at a softball game and he began inquiring about my plans for dental school. (it's kind of well-known that I am going to school because I'm leaving my current position).

Guy: So you're goin' to dental school, huh? When does that start?

Me: Yes. I will start in July, so I'm getting a little nervous/excited about moving etc.

Guy: And uh...how long are you going to be goin to that school?

Me: Well it takes four years minimum to become a dentist, and then if I decided to specialize it would be another 2-3 years maybe more depending on the specialty. (thinking "...here it comes")

Guy: (laughing) Well I mean if you're gonna go that long you might as well have just went to school to become a doctor!!

Me: ....:lame: ...Right, well I grew up around dentistry because of my dad, and I have a lot of observation/experience in that area which is why I chose to pursue dentistry, not medical school.

Guy: Oh yeah, yeah, yeah- I mean it is a good profession for sure.

(to his credit, he is a very nice guy, and I'm sure what he meant to say was "physician")

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 7 users
So this happened to me the other day. Not an uninformed pre-med but a somewhat uninformed guy that I only know as an acquaintance through a coworker. We were at a softball game and he began inquiring about my plans for dental school. (it's kind of well-known that I am going to school because I'm leaving my current position).

Me: Yes. I will start in July, so I'm getting a little nervous/excited about moving etc.

Me: Well it takes four years minimum to become a dentist, and then if I decided to specialize it would be another 2-3 years maybe more depending on the specialty. (thinking "...here it comes")

Guy: (laughing) Well I mean if you're gonna go that long you might as well have just went to school to become a doctor!!

Me: ....:lame: ...Right, well I grew up around dentistry because of my dad, and I have a lot of observation/experience in that area which is why I chose to pursue dentistry, not medical school.

(to his credit, he is a very nice guy, and I'm sure what he meant to say was "physician")

You should let him know that the lifestyle of dentists is much better than being a physician, just to see how quickly he flips his script.

Granted I come from a rich suburban neighborhood in the bay area, but I know dentists with established practices who work like 4 days a week and pull upwards of 250K per year.

Reactions: 4 users

To the public, doctor = physician. It makes sense since in the clinical setting, doctor means physician, and people don’t say they’re going to see their physician (usually), they say they’re going to see their doctor. But they say they’re going to see the dentist.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I have a friend that has been pre-chiro who was accepted to a chiro school out of state and had plans to move in two weeks (finishing his bachelors in kines this semester).

He texted me a couple days ago and said, “Going for the MD.” So I’m like, “Cool dude. Well you know you need O chem, volunteering, shadowing, MCAT etc.”

Texted me back today with, “I’m too old. I’ll just open a F ton of business with chiro.”

Hahaha. He’s apparently now trying to go to a completely different state for chiro too.

I am a DO student and very grateful for the opportunity afforded to me by the osteopathic field. However, while in UG whenever a recruiter from a DO school or AACOM would come by our campus they would sell us on the propaganda about how DOs are BETTER than our MD counter parts. We learn a holistic and caring medical approach while stressing a preventative patient management...etc etc.

I used to be slightly confused on this marketing tactic, but let me tell you it works! Immediately afterwards premeds would be regurgitating everything said to the T. I thought this was a product of naive premeds...but I say at least 1/3 of the DO school population believes in this too! I’ve always considered a small social experiment for my own amusement of going to an MD while on rotations and kindly reciting that he doesn’t look at the body as a whole and lacks preventative approach to his patient management.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 3 users
I'm gonna assume she just became a psych major sometime afterwards. Most of the peeps who dropped out of premed seemed to fall onto psych for some reason.

That or sometimes sociology/neuroscience. Copious amounts go to business because they wanted to be a doctor for just money.

I work at a plasma center and I was about to stick this one woman so she could donate. I'm not sure how the conversation started, but she told me she was in "medical school". The conversation went like this...

Me: "oh, that's awesome! Where are you going to school at?"
Her: "Vista"
Me: "Oh... so what are you studying again?"
Her: "I'm studying to become a medical assistant"

Reactions: 8 users
Had a convo about with a friend about med school

Me: so what are you doing after we graduate
F: don't know man shadowing, need to do good to get into md schools
Me: did you think about some DO schools
F: dude I don't want to be a DO
Me: why not dude it's the same thing, you're a doctor regardless in the end. How's ur GPA
F: it's a 3.3
Me: yeah man think about DO schools after the MCAT
F: yeah I know my friend that went to DO school and now he's going for his MD, I'm probably going to do that.

Reactions: 5 users

Me: why not dude it's the same thing, you're a doctor regardless in the end. How's ur GPA
F: yeah I know my friend that went to DO school and now he's going for his MD, I'm probably going to do that.

I do actually know a guy who went to a year of DO school then dropped out because he got into an MD school.

That's probably a unique scenario, though.

Reactions: 1 user
I do actually know a guy who went to a year of DO school then dropped out because he got into an MD school.

That's probably a unique scenario, though.

Well the guy I spoke with said he had finished his DO and now he's going for his MD. Which I should've stated.

Was the scenario where he already committed to a DO school then an MD school said they would accept him/her for the upcoming year due to no space?

Members don't see this ad :)

Had a pre-med friend tell me the other day that they didn't want to go DO because they didn't want to do 5 years of medical school instead of 4.

The ignorance is real.

Reactions: 15 users
Met a pretty neat dude a little while back, for some reason I don't meet many pre meds in person but he was talking about just having re-taking the MCAT and I was like yea its rough, so he must have gotten a sub-10 (Im guessing since he seems pretty smart, MD-oriented and a good student)

This kid re-took a 513 :bang:

Reactions: 6 users
Met a pretty neat dude a little while back, for some reason I don't meet many pre meds in person but he was talking about just having re-taking the MCAT and I was like yea its rough, so he must have gotten a sub-10 (Im guessing since he seems pretty smart, MD-oriented and a good student)

Well did he do better?

Reactions: 1 users

:banana:

I can’t even. I’m like a basic valley girl.

Can someone explain to me why people keep saying “banana?” UrbanDictionary isn’t clear. What the heck does it mean??

Those of us using the app on our phones can’t see the emojis. it took me a while to figure this out!

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Can someone explain to me why people keep saying “banana?” UrbanDictionary isn’t clear. What the heck does it mean??

This is what we are seeing... except imagine the banana dancing lol
Screen Shot 2018-04-28 at 7.39.28 PM.png

Banana.

(That time I just said it. Interpret that as you will.)

Reactions: 7 users
I work at a plasma center and I was about to stick this one woman so she could donate. I'm not sure how the conversation started, but she told me she was in "medical school". The conversation went like this...

Me: “oh, so you’re going to medical assistant school.”

Reactions: 8 users
Currently on page 59 of this thread and i’ve noticed that many people, especially grandmothers, don’t know what sort of professionals medical schools train.

So, to avoid future confusion at social gatherings, I am considering telling people I am going to attend “doctor school”.

That way, when they promptly correct me and say “don’t you mean medical school?”, I can thank them for their valuable knowledge and make them feel good about themselves. :rolleyes:

Reactions: 22 users
I shadowed an internal medicine resident my sophomore year of college. I didn’t know the difference between resident/doctor at the time.

Her: I’m going to take you to see one of my patients. His name is _______ and he has _______.
Me: Okay!

As we’re walking to the patient’s room.

Me: Is he your patient? I thought only real doctors were allowed to have patients?
Her: All residents have MDs, so I am a “real” doctor.

Proceeds to explain how med school/residency works.

Reactions: 33 users
I shadowed an internal medicine resident my sophomore year of college. I didn’t know the difference between resident/doctor at the time.

Her: I’m going to take you to see one of my patients. His name is _______ and he has _______.

Me: Is he your patient? I thought only real doctors were allowed to have patients?

Extra points for posting a story about yourself.

Reactions: 36 users

You should post this on the DO board.

Reactions: 10 users

Me: “oh, so you’re going to medical assistant school.”

@Emily427 you could also add: Maybe when I’m through with med school and everything, I can hire you for my office. :D

Last edited:

So you went to shadow a 'not real doctor',:cat: suppose that's better than no shadowing,.. you found your way into a hospital somehow ;)

Currently on page 59 of this thread and i’ve noticed that many people, especially grandmothers, don’t know what sort of professionals medical schools train.

So, to avoid future confusion at social gatherings, I am considering telling people I am going to attend “doctor school”.

That way, when they promptly correct me and say “don’t you mean medical school?”, I can thank them for their valuable knowledge and make them feel good about themselves. :rolleyes:
OMG yes, I'll say I'm pre-med or applying to medical school and they seem to think that is a generic term for all health professionals.
Them: Oh so which health field? Nurse? PA?

I would have thought she meant Rocky Vista lol

I would have thought she meant Rocky Vista lol

Texas residents should know what's up. Vista college has locations all across Texas and considering RVUCOM is in Colorado, I felt it was save to assume that she was attending the Vista college that was in the same city. Lol

Texas residents should know what's up. Vista college has locations all across Texas and considering RVUCOM is in Colorado, I felt it was save to assume that she was attending the Vista college that was in the same city. Lol
Guess I'm just a bad Texan because I haven't heard of Vista College nor knew that we have a Vista city lol

Last edited:
Guess I'm just a bad Texan because I haven't heard of Vista College nor knew that we have a Vista city lol
There's not a vista city. There's cities with the colleges in them though. I live in College Station, and there's a Vista College here. There's advertisements all over for it, and that's how I knew about it. So I guess not all Texas residents would know, but ones living near the colleges would.

A girl I did research with said she wanted to be an ophthalmologist.

Me: "That sounds tough. Do you know what you would do if you didn't get chosen for ophtho?"
Her: "Well, I only like the eyes, so if I didn't get ophthalmology I would just switch to optometry school."
Me: "You're going to go through all of med school just to switch if you don't get in?"
Her: "What do you mean?"
Me: "You wouldn't find out if you got chosen for ophthalmology until your 4th year of med school. "
Her: "No you don't, you find out your specialty when you get into medical school and you study it the whole time. It's like your major."
Me: "Uhhh. Okay."

Reactions: 38 users
Not a pre-med, but today I had to explain to my 55+ yo coworker that 10 mins is 1/6th of an hour; and that if you want to enter 1hr and 10 mins as hours you have to enter 1.17hrs not 1.10hrs...they didnt understand
:bang:

Reactions: 16 users
A girl I did research with said she wanted to be an ophthalmologist.

Me: "That sounds tough. Do you know what you would do if you didn't get chosen for ophtho?"
Her: "Well, I only like the eyes, so if I didn't get ophthalmology I would just switch to optometry school."
Me: "You're going to go through all of med school just to switch if you don't get in?"
Her: "What do you mean?"
Me: "You wouldn't find out if you got chosen for ophthalmology until your 4th year of med school. "
Her: "No you don't, you find out your specialty when you get into medical school and you study it the whole time. It's like your major."
Me: "Uhhh. Okay."

20-celebrity-memes-that-broke-the-internet-6.jpg

Reactions: 11 users
My sister in law, trying to explain to my mother that you don't get to choose which medical school you go to, you find out on Match Day. She was pre-med, but went into another professional program instead.

Was she talking about Texas?
No, that would have made her look more informed at least. She truly thought that you had no control over where you went to medical school, AND no control over your specialty...it was decided for you/assigned to you by your step 1 score (which I guess is kinda true depending on how you look at it, but incredibly oversimplified).