Funny quotes from "less informed" premeds

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's my weirdest story: My boyfriend's coworker (not a pre-med) decided to take the MCAT just to "see how he would do." Boyfriend was confused and thought his coworker meant a practice MCAT, but nope--he was taking the real thing at the testing center on my ugrad campus. He took the test and texted my BF right afterwards with something like "that didn't go so badly!" Two weeks later he traipsed into work bragging about getting a 35P. What's wrong with that picture?

Boyfriend and I did a little sleuthing on SDN and found out that the MCAT wasn't even offered on the day he supposedly took it, and even if he had magically taken it that day, there's no way he'd already have his score back.

If you're going to lie about something, why the hell would you make up some elaborate story about doing well on the MCAT when you're not even pre-med? Lie about something awesome, like owning an elephant or winning the lotto.

WHYY!!!! i dont understand people like this. What are they trying to prove?!
this makes me lol!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I soooo wish I could find this one.

Years ago on SDN there was a pre-med who was so excited to be done with the MCAT because they'd never have to take a standardized test ever again. :laugh:

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
WHY OH WHY are you trying to ruin this thread by exhibiting empathy/understanding/reasonable thought processes?!?!? THIS IS SDN DAMMIT!!!!!!!!!!! I H8 EVERY1 WHO IZ NOT ME THEY ARE ALL ARTARDS!!! ;)

@.o I'm sorry! ;)

Reminds me of a girl in my undergrad. She said "I want to be a peds CV doctor". I used to tutor her - could barely pass math; I think she finished undergrad with a 3.3 25 MCAT. Managed to make it in to an American MD school. And wait for it...

We found out she matched CV surgery... Joke is on us... :)
Wow. I want to say good for her. She must have worked her ass off.

If you're going to lie about something, why the hell would you make up some elaborate story about doing well on the MCAT when you're not even pre-med? Lie about something awesome, like owning an elephant or winning the lotto.

LOL! Did you guys call him out on it?

Now I wish a little more that I'd been a science major in undergrad. I'd have good stories to share, too. Most of the pre-meds I encounters as a post-bacc student were all pretty realistic.

I soooo wish I could find this one.

Years ago on SDN there was a pre-med who was so excited to be done with the MCAT because they'd never have to take a standardized test ever again. :laugh:

awwwwww, now that's just sad.

LOL! Did you guys call him out on it?

No way--he was far too entertaining! He claimed to have turned down grad school offers from MIT and Stanford along with a job from Google because he wanted to stay at his state U and get a math minor. :confused: He pretended to be teaching a couple classes. It was epic.

Yea, but thats true though

lol....well, in a VERY oversimplified way it is. You can't become a psychiatrist w/ med school but a psych PhD or PsyD CAN do a 2-year masters' and becoming a prescribing psychologist in a few states as well as the military. They're basically top-level psych practitioners w/ midlevel medical privileges. Nevertheless, it's quite a bit more than "just take a test." It's 4-6 yrs for the doctorate (incl. internship), 2 yrs residency or practice on a supervisor (to be come licensed), and then 2 yrs under a psychiatrist. In other words, it's 8-10 yrs post-college or about the amount of time as it'd take to actually become a psychiatrist (and for half the pay). Personally, I'd prefer to just go the MD route if I were going to do that!

Reactions: 1 users
I remember a girl in my physics 1 class (not even calc-based folks) who asked me to help tutor her. Her being hot, I obliged. She was hopeless and was having trouble with even basic density problems. We ended up talking about our future plans.

Me: So, are you pre-med? Our physics class seems to have a lot of them.

Girl: Nah, my grades aren't that great. I just want to be a dermatologist.

Me: :eek:. [I didn't have the heart to crush her dreams, she was dumb but really nice.] Oh, cool. Well good luck!

Reactions: 5 users
Back in high school, our class took a trip to hike a 14er in colorado. When we got to the top, we could see the whole rocky mountains and even all the way out to Kansas, except for one of my classmates who was already studying for the MCAT! A couple years to go buddy, and maybe not on a mountain top.

Reactions: 4 users
Back in high school, our class took a trip to hike a 14er in colorado. When we got to the top, we could see the whole rocky mountains and even all the way out to Kansas, except for one of my classmates who was already studying for the MCAT! A couple years to go buddy, and maybe not on a mountain top.

Hell of a place to study pressure that's for sure. :laugh:

Reactions: 3 users
Nope it was a typical school that starts them 3rd year (in fact they had almost no clinical contact before then), it was such an absurd thing to say and really said a lot to me about the school

My scenario still involved clinicals starting in third year. My point was that schools can start third year (meaning clinical rotations) anywahere from May 1 to Augest 1. More time in the hospital, meaning an earlier start date for clinicals, is actually a pretty important selling point.

My scenario still involved clinicals starting in third year. My point was that schools can start third year (meaning clinical rotations) anywahere from May 1 to August 1. More time in the hospital, meaning an earlier start date for clinicals, is actually a pretty important selling point.

Or March 1st. That's certainly a lot less common, but that's when we start at my school, and it is one of our biggest selling points.

Members don't see this ad :)
:confused: That doesn't even come close to making sense. Did her father recite passages orally? :laugh:

Yeah, he asked her questions and then then gave her the possible answers. She also said there was a matching section where she got 100%. A part of me died on the inside when I heard that :laugh:

Stole this story from a friend who actually is a well-informed pre-med.

Kid in library: Well, my goal is a 40 on the MCAT this weekend.
Friend: Oh, have you been studying a lot?
Kid: No but I did well in the prereqs. I got like a B in orgo, so I should be fine.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
This is kind of off topic, but still funny:

This is one of my college roommates who was a journalism major (not a premed):

Me: So have you heard about the swine flu outbreak?
Roommate: Yeah, it's sad... it's a good thing I don't eat pork. (completely serious)

:laugh:

• Haha
Yeah, he asked her questions and then then gave her the possible answers. She also said there was a matching section where she got 100%. A part of me died on the inside when I heard that :laugh:

And this is why the national average on the MCAT is a 24

I don't remember the exact scenario, but I overheard some kid insisting that the abbreviation for an osteopathic physician was OD. Mind you, this was after he said he didn't know what osteopathy was (and he couldn't pronounce it either).

Same kid: "I was gonna take orgo over the summer, but I didn't since med schools don't give credit for summer classes." Yea. They don't give credit for classes with the same material, at 3x the speed...

Annoying pre-med know-it-all girl: "My sister is in med school in the caribbean. She didn't do good on her MCAT, but whatever, she'll still be an MD."

Some chick: "DO NOT drop physiology if you want to have ANY chance of going into anything medically related!"

"You should do a minor, it makes you more competitive."

Today in orgo lab -

Bad joke teller kid: I know this kid who goes to med school in the caribbean...like how awesome is your life? You get to learn about the human body AND live in a tropical climate.

Misinformed pre-med girl: Yea, lots of people do that actually. I guess it's easier to get into.

This has nothing to do with dumb pre-meds really, but my physio professor thinks that pre-meds should be able to answer really obscure medical questions. Every time we're in lab he'll ask some ridiculous thing and then say "oh come on, where are my pre-meds?" I never raise my hand lol.

Last edited:
Misinformed pre-med girl: Yea, lots of people do that actually. I guess it's easier to get into.

seems accurate... how is this misinformed? tons of people do it and it's easier to get in to?

seems accurate... how is this misinformed? tons of people do it and it's easier to get in to?
If you're a serious pre-med, you should know that the caribbean is pure crap. The way she said it clearly indicated that she didn't.

If you're a serious pre-med, you should know that the caribbean is pure crap. The way she said it clearly indicated that she didn't.

lol. I don't know if its "pure crap" but it definitely shouldn't be a top choice.
US MD = DO > Carrib.

Unless you quoted it wrong or expected me to deduce tone through the interwebz, then what she said is accurate. It is easier to get into...and a lot of people do it. I don't believe she spoke about its credibility.

Maybe I'm just reading it wrong.

Post any funny comments you've overheard from other premeds that really don't know what they are talking about.

My critic: "Dude, you don't have what it takes to be a doctor...I don't see it in you."
Me: "We'll see about that."

Last semester my friend and I were up late one night studying for our finals.

Being a bit flustered after she got a problem wrong, she slid in this little gem:

Her: Ugh... I can't wait til I'm done with all of this so I can just be in med school and relax.
Me: ....................

Post any funny comments you've overheard from other premeds that really don't know what they are talking about.

My critic: "Dude, you don't have what it takes to be a doctor...I don't see it in you."
Me: "We'll see about that."

If your avatar is an accurate reflection of your physical appearance I'm going to have to go ahead and agree with your critic on this one. Hard to imagine Kia-lan elbow deep in a patient's abdomen.

Almost everything posted in the 2011 Match List thread.

I'm (mostly) kidding, so don't shoot me...

Quote from an SDN user:

Me: how do you like medical school?
User: i haven't actually started yet. i just got accepted last week.
Me: oh, well your status says "medical student", so i just thought you had actually started medical school.
User: ...:oops:

see what i did there?

Last edited:
Genius Pre-med: "Well, if you're applying DO, then you better get used to prescribing Fish Oils and Milk of Magnesia, because that's all you can do."

Me: Uhhhh.....

Kai-Lan is actually smarter than a lot of adults.

No one's arguing that, she's Chinese, obviously she's smarter than most adults. the question is do I "see it in you", and I can't imagine Kai-Lan in surgical garb, splattered with blood and screaming for a crash cart in Mandarin. Well, I can imagine it, and frankly I think it bears the makings of a fine medical drama and/or new addition to the prime time lineup on Nick Jr., but that's beside the point.

My O chem lab TA and I were ("were" being the imperative word here) friends and I honestly wonder how he's going to fare in medical school.

He was once in my dorm room looking at the stuff on top of my dresser:

Him: (looking at bottle of pre-natal pills which I was told to use as low dose iron supplements) "it's a sin to prevent pregnancies and to have sex before you're married"
Me: "huh? what are you talking about"
Him: "Birth Control pills"
Me: "those aren't birth control pills!!"

This is also the same guy who forgot to take his MCAT and ended up applying a year late because of his forgetfulness. He still got in though!

Friend talking to me:

Friend: I think I am going to change my major
Me: Oh cool why?
Friend: Poli Sci is too hard and I am interested in biology now, I want to be a doctor now.
Me: Oh why do you want to be doctor all of a sudden?
Friend: I just started watching Greys Anatomy and I think I am going to start watching House soon.

Reactions: 14 users
Haha one of my favorite quotes is from an anatomy class I took.

The professor was talking about the difference between hypertrophy and hyperplasia and threw up a slide of a belgian blue:

belgian-blue.jpg

And kept talking about it and said something to the effect of "As you can see, this thing is like solid muscle."

To which a girl in the class immediately raised her hand and asked "Wait... does it have bones?" in a thick valley girl accent... :eek:

Me: So are you going to apply to medical school?
Girl on Physics I class around November: Yeah..I'm taking the MCAT next week.
Me: Have you studied a lot?
Girl: Not really I haven't studied much but I got a 15 on the Kaplan diagnostic so I should be fine. (SHE DID SAY THIS! :O).
Me: Aren't you worried you're gonna be late in the cycle?
Girl: No I'm not worried because I'm applying to one DO only..
Me: Good luck................. :O

Another Girl at MCAT class: Oh yeah I have a friend who had a 2.9 gpa and got a 23 at the MCAT and he had MD schools begging him to matriculate there.

Lol!!! I have a 3.38 gpa and still need to take the MCAT and I know it will be tough to get into an MD. Lol crazy pre-meds!!

Haha one of my favorite quotes is from an anatomy class I took.

The professor was talking about the difference between hypertrophy and hyperplasia and threw up a slide of a belgian blue:

belgian-blue.jpg

And kept talking about it and said something to the effect of "As you can see, this thing is like solid muscle."

To which a girl in the class immediately raised her hand and asked "Wait... does it have bones?" in a thick valley girl accent... :eek:

:laugh:

Reminds me of this girl that was in my neuroscience class. She asked the professor, "Wait... I thought there wasn't blood in the brain?"

The professor nearly had a stroke! "What??!?!" :eek:

One girl in my physics 2 class who asked literally 30 questions per day:

"Wait so what happens if you're in a ship and you get all the way to the horizon?"

Clearly she didn't get the whole earth is round memo...

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
what schools do you people go to. I didn't know people were this clueless.

If I heard one of those comments I would respond like this guy

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qZwwyHvCbo[/YOUTUBE]

Reminds me of a girl in my undergrad. She said "I want to be a peds CV doctor". I used to tutor her - could barely pass math; I think she finished undergrad with a 3.3 25 MCAT. Managed to make it in to an American MD school. And wait for it...

We found out she matched CV surgery... Joke is on us... :)

BEST. POST. ON. THIS. THREAD. :thumbup:

We can laugh now and feel all superior but, uh, you don't have to actually be the smartest pre-med to have ever graced a post-secondary institution to get accepted in this country.

Reactions: 4 users
I had a kid in my Ecology and Evolution class once ask the professor if dinosaurs and humans existed during the same time!!!! :wow:

I was like :scared::scared::scared:

BEST. POST. ON. THIS. THREAD. :thumbup:

We can laugh now and feel all superior but, uh, you don't have to actually be the smartest pre-med to have ever graced a post-secondary institution to get accepted in this country.

meh. probably jumped through some hoops if you know what I mean

Why must u make fun of less informed premeds? U have a duty to help them, to guide them, and together we will be stronger as a peoples.

lol....well, in a VERY oversimplified way it is. You can't become a psychiatrist w/ med school but a psych PhD or PsyD CAN do a 2-year masters' and becoming a prescribing psychologist in a few states as well as the military. They're basically top-level psych practitioners w/ midlevel medical privileges. Nevertheless, it's quite a bit more than "just take a test." It's 4-6 yrs for the doctorate (incl. internship), 2 yrs residency or practice on a supervisor (to be come licensed), and then 2 yrs under a psychiatrist. In other words, it's 8-10 yrs post-college or about the amount of time as it'd take to actually become a psychiatrist (and for half the pay). Personally, I'd prefer to just go the MD route if I were going to do that!

No, no, I was joking - trying to be the stupid pre-med. I guess it didnt work :(

Status
Not open for further replies.