Funny quotes from "less informed" premeds

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
He said it was his dream school, not where he thought he would be going

DOTW - make sure you get doxy's permission before choosing a dream school in the future.

I'm running for executive moderator, vote for me.

Haha yeah, I guess I should have. My bad doxy, my bad

You are forgiven . and I did not know you were a freshmen. I just think the whole idea of this thread is stupid, making fun of ppl for being misinformed/ignorant because they arent big tools and sit on SDN all day like we do. And if a nurse doesn't know wat an mph is who cares, they are nurses far from a professional degree as long as they can do their job.

Members don't see this ad.

Me: So, why do you want to become a doctor?
Other guy: Not sure, i think I should figure it out before the interview but until then it doesnt matter, right?
Me: ...Yeah i guess.

---

Them: I'll do better on the next test.

^They never do. Apparently the second test required that you understood the first test's material. Go figure.

And if a nurse doesn't know wat an mph is who cares, they are nurses far from a professional degree as long as they can do their job.

The point wasn't they didn't know what an MPH was, it was that they thought it would make me a nurse which is their degree and something they should know the requirements for.

Members don't see this ad :)
"I going to be an anasteeziologest, its a super easy job"

I hate freshman!!!

I don't really post but I could not resist.

Me: so do you know what you want to do yet?
Student: yes, I want to go into psychiatry.
Me: cool, I hope to go to medical school someday too
Student: oh I'm not going to medical school. I think it's stupid to spend eight years for school. I want a life and I'm not a loser.
Me:( explains the process feeling bad, pre reqs... Etc)
Student: oh really? Doesn't sound bad I'm going to community college in the fall and will cram them in the Summer....(goes on to brag about how she got a 4.0 in high school but only scored a 1400/2400 on the sats because she wasn't trying and how she failed the remedial placement test because the teacher was such a douche, but explains how she's naturally smart if she cares)
Me: um okay. Well good luck.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Me: Are you still applying this cycle?
Her: Yeah I think I'm going for MD/PhD
Me: Oh really, I thought you only started research this summer. (She is doing some kind of SURF program or something like it)
Her: Yeah but research isn't really important for MD/PhD; nobody who is in those programs has too much.
Me: *rolls eyes* Well whats your GPA anyway?
Her: About 3.4
Me: Nice talking to you; gl hf

Him: Are you still applying this cycle?
Me: Yeah I think I'm going for MD/PhD
Him: Oh really, I thought you only started research this summer.
(I am doing a SURF program)
Me: Yeah but research isn't really important for MD/PhD; nobody who is in those programs has too much.
Him: Well whats your GPA anyway?
Me: About 3.4
Him: Nice talking to you; gl hf

i just decided to troll him after the "i thought you only started this summer" gem. :thumbup:

Okay, I've got one.

Freshman year I was taking an Honors Zoo course, and everyone in the class (minus maybe two people) was premed. We had a huge research paper due at the end of the semester, and deadlines for each milestone, worth a corresponding number of points each (i.e. picking topic, getting articles, annotated bibliographies of articles, rough draft, final paper, etc). Well, on the day that our annotated bibs were due, this is a conversation that took place.

Me, to my friends: Wow, it feels really good to have the annotated bibs done. Definitely a load off my chest.
Derp-a-Derp, to her friend: OMG, guess what I did last night!!! Saw the premiere of TWILIGHT!!! It was sooo worth it.
Her friend: Uh, yeah, I was waiting until this weekend to see it, so I could get my bibs done. You did do them, right?

Followed by a :eek: by the girl, and then lots of crying. Then begging with the teacher, then a lot more crying.

She's still premed, too. The annoying one who would send out emails in physics asking for help on problems 4-14 out of 15 total.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
The one that always makes me smile is, "I am premed", when asked what their major is. It makes it sound as though it is just that easy and as if they have a guaranteed admission just because they happen to be taking prereqs now, which just happens to fall under the label premed.

I mean, obviously they might actually be doing EC's, shadowing, etc. that is making them a perfect candidate. But considering it is thrown around so easily...yeah....

Last edited:
At the school I used to go to, there was BIOL 110, then a 3-class 200-level bio sequence, then millions of other bio courses. So basically you had to take this survey course, then the 3-class thing in order to get "bio 1 and 2".

In the lab for 110, this premed bio major hops out with this gem and facial expression:

"You mean biology gets more specific than this?" :eek:

I think we were looking at plant models. Or playing with pipettes.

• Haha
The one that always makes me smile is, "I am premed", when asked what their major is. It makes it sound as though it is just that easy and as if they have a guaranteed admission just because they happen to be taking prereqs now, which just happens to fall under the label premed.

I might, obviously they might actually be doing EC's, shadowing, etc. that is making them a perfect candidate. But considering it is thrown around so easily...yeah....

You have to be careful with this. Yes a premed major sounds dumb to those of us savvy enough to realize it's essentially only 8 classes needed outside what you'd basically need for any other major, but there are several colleges out there actually offering a premed major/certificate in undergrad now.

Random Girl: Yeah I wanna be a Pediatrician because I hate blood!
Me: >.>
Me: <.<

Members don't see this ad :)
Not a premed story but...

I was in the emergency room for appendicitis and I was in a double room while I was waiting to be wheeled down to surgery. Anyway the girl in the other bed was on the phone complaining about how no one had seen her yet (from what I gathered she had been "attacked" by her neighbor who cut her with a tin can, and she was afraid she might be getting aids "because who knows what he does with that can!! :confused:") Oh, and let me also add that the ER was super busy because there had just been a school bus accident and they had a bunch of traumas. So finally this super stressed female resident walks in to see the girl and she says to whomever she's on the phone with "Oh hold on the nurse is here" and the resident says "Yeah, that's why I worked my tail off for 8 years, have over $100,000 in debt, and haven't slept in a week - because I'm a nurse." Either the girl didn't hear her or didn't understand her though because she referred to her as the nurse the whole time.

I was at my friend's graduation and was talking to one of her friends.

Me: So how are you doing with all the preparation for med school?
Her: Well I'm studying for the MCAT.
M: Me too! How has the studying been so far?
H: I've been doing pretty well on the practice exams. My goal is 40.
M: Wow. I'd be pretty psyched if I got over 30, but I guess it's good to have such a high goal.
H: Yeah. This is my fourth MCAT and my best score so far is only 24, so I really have to make it count.
M: Yeah. Good luck! *runs away while trying not to laugh*

And I remember there were kids in my organic chemistry lab class that wore our school's med school lab coats because they were sold to everyone at our school bookstore. Just a little bit presumptuous.

Last one. Met a girl in my class who was in her 6th year and she told me she was pre-med, with that smirk that people have when they tell other people they're pre-med.

Last edited:
  • Haha
there were kids in my organic chemistry lab class that wore our school's med school lab coats because they were sold to everyone at our school bookstore.
This is awesome.

You know one of the points mentioned by one of the posts here got me thinking...

I don't understand those people who say they don't know why they want to go into medicine. You must have some reason even if it is just the prestige, money, respect, value of education and doing something that is challenging. But I cannot believe that I've met so many who don't even have those simple reasons to say why they want to go into medicine. Either that or they are afraid to admit to some of those things.

You know one of the points mentioned by one of the posts here got me thinking...

I don't understand those people who say they don't know why they want to go into medicine. You must have some reason even if it is just the prestige, money, respect, value of education and doing something that is challenging. But I cannot believe that I've met so many who don't even have those simple reasons to say why they want to go into medicine. Either that or they are afraid to admit to some of those things.

Trust me, it's this.

seriously I would rather hear them admit it then say they don't know. They sound stupider by not admitting it.

Idk... some people have difficulty verbalizing their emotions and reasoning, especially if you ask them right on the spot.

Idk... some people have difficulty verbalizing their emotions and reasoning, especially if you ask them right on the spot.

That's me. It even made me second guess myself. Still working on verbalizing my reasons....

Also some people might be hesitant to respond because it might be too personal like a personal illness that they are only willing to share in their ps.

I don't know about anyone else, but I cringe every time the first year premeds ask questions when we have guest speakers at my school. Every single one of them seems to have a question, and they all could be easily answered by our pre-med committee or google. Wasting our precious Q&A :mad:

We had an adcom from Harvard come in, and one of the girls asked what the highest score you could get on the MCAT was... Typical =_+

I don't know about anyone else, but I cringe every time the first year premeds ask questions when we have guest speakers at my school. Every single one of them seems to have a question, and they all could be easily answered by our pre-med committee or google. Wasting our precious Q&A :mad:

We had an adcom from Harvard come in, and one of the girls asked what the highest score you could get on the MCAT was... Typical =_+

Heh, I bet it is the same way for our premed advisers. After all the "silly" questions they are doubtful of everyone else...

I usually ask adcoms how they look at people from healthcare professions and questions they would ask them.

this thread is quite funny.

my younger cousin who has yet to start college says that it's not worth going to medical school if it's not a top 20 program. i wonder whether his thinking will change once he starts taking his premedical courses.

this thread is quite funny.

my younger cousin who has yet to start college says that it's not worth going to medical school if it's not a top 20 program. i wonder whether his thinking will change once he starts taking his premedical courses.

Definitely, haha.

blondie???

They better figure that one out before interviews roll around.

Earlier this year talking to a freshman:

Anonymous: So wait you're going to med school right next year?
Me: Hopefully yes.
Anonymous: Wait you don't know yet if you're going?
Me: No I've been waitlisted so I'm waiting.
Anonymous: But it's already February when are they planning on telling you?
Me: It could be as late as that school's orientation week.
Anonymous: I don't think you're right I think they have to tell you before March or something.
Me: Okay (walks away).

Not a quote but a premed in my genetics class had a white coat made and wore it to class and hospital volunteering.

This is the funniest thing I've read in awhile.

I wanna meet this guy.

Me: So have you decided on which school you're going to go to? XX has really good matches at top schools in a variety of different residences, did you check the list?
Student (disbelief): Oh yeah? where?
Me: Mayo, Baylor...
Student: Oh yeah? In what like Internal med? PFFFT Not like cardio, or anything?
Me: You realize that to sub-specialize in cardio you need to do internal first right?
Student: Oh really? You don't just specialize in cardio?
Me: really.

Kills me how clueless some premeds are. Even after they're accepted :laugh:

Me: So have you decided on which school you're going to go to? XX has really good matches at top schools in a variety of different residences, did you check the list?
Student: Oh yeah? In what like Internal med? PFFFT Not like cardio, or anything?
Me: You realize that to sub-specialize in cardio you need to do internal first right?

I wouldn't call this a stupid pre-med quote at all...I've talked to MS3's who are still fuzzy on what specialties require IM then specialization vs. immediately matching into said specialty. I'm certainly not clear on the specific path to every specialty and sub-specialty. And there are always the odd handful of programs that offer immediate specialization or a different path to a certain sub-specialty.

That's news to me :oops:

Reactions: 1 users

I wouldn't call that a stupid quote either. In fact I just learned that about 2 seconds ago when I read it. Granted, I'm still pretty new to the game but thats not common knowledge

That's news to me :oops:

I wouldn't call that a stupid quote either. In fact I just learned that about 2 seconds ago when I read it. Granted, I'm still pretty new to the game but thats not common knowledge

Yeah most people would think that becoming a cardiologist wouldn't be such an asinine and inefficient processes where you have to train another 3 years in an unrelated area to your specialty and then finally train for 3 more years in your specialty.

(after 2nd Gen Chem 2 Exam)

Him: So how did you do?
Me: I think I got 1 or 2 wrong at most, How about you?
Him: Bro, not good, this test was BS
Him: this is why the US medical system sucks, all these BS classes that have nothing to do with medicine. In X hispanic country, you go straight to medical school from high school. It is much better.
Me: So then why can't they just come and practice here without taking examinations?
Him: (blank stare)

Him: this is why the US medical system sucks, all these BS classes that have nothing to do with medicine. In X hispanic country, you go straight to medical school from high school. It is much better.
Me: So then why can't they just come and practice here without taking examinations?

:laugh:

Well... there IS some truth to what he's saying. Consider Germany (Ranked #25 in healthcare by the W.H.O. vs the U.S. at #37) -- students there graduate Gymnasium (high school) and go to med school directly to earn an MD (6 yrs) and then go through a similar process to ours for residency. That said, Germany's Gymnasiums are so far beyond the best American high schools in terms of rigor it's ridiculous. We've become too focused on "No Child Left Behind" and forgotten to actually challenge people. As a result, college students are graduating with almost no improvement in critical thinking or other valuable skills.

Not exactly premeders, but this is what I have at work until I move for school:

Me: "It's about 25 credit hours per semester."
Coworker: "Wow. You should seriously try to test out of some of those classes to lighten your load."

Me: I'm a little nervous going back, being older than other kids in my class."
Coworker: "Yeah, it's going to be rough going back to school with all those kids just out of high school."

And last one, my fav:
"Is it hard to get into medical school?"

Ok, I've got to share this one.

years ago I was at a friend's house and some random girl was over and I asked her what she was going to study in college (at the local county community college)

Her: *exuberantly* Well I'm going to take all the pre-reqs in a year instead of two at the community college and then transfer to KSU and graduate there in two years (making her college experience 3 years total). And then I'm going to get into medical school!
Me: Oh really? What area of medicine are you thinking about (I know, I know, a cliche question)
Her: A Neurosurgeon!
Me: Wow, that's a lot of time spent in school/residency.
Her: Oh, not really, I'm planning on graduating medical school in two years, and then 3 years of residency. So I'll be a neurosurgeon by age 27!!!
Me: Well! ...good luck.

And I've also had a pre-med classmate that wore a lab in organic chem lab. He dropped out later in the semester.

Ok, I've got to share this one.

years ago I was at a friend's house and some random girl was over and I asked her what she was going to study in college (at the local county community college)

Her: *exuberantly* Well I'm going to take all the pre-reqs in a year instead of two at the community college and then transfer to KSU and graduate there in two years (making her college experience 3 years total). And then I'm going to get into medical school!
Me: Oh really? What area of medicine are you thinking about (I know, I know, a cliche question)
Her: A Neurosurgeon!
Me: Wow, that's a lot of time spent in school/residency.
Her: Oh, not really, I'm planning on graduating medical school in two years, and then 3 years of residency. So I'll be a neurosurgeon by age 27!!!
Me: Well! ...good luck.

When I run into people like this I always legitimately want to give them advice but there's no way to do that without being a total douchebag/Debbie Downer. I guess you just have to trust that they'll eventually figure it out for themselves.

"Hey bro, I didn't know **** about admissions, didn't know **** about interviews and don't know **** about specialties, guess I lucked out because it looks like we're gonna be classmates for the next 4 years"

Not exactly premeders, but this is what I have at work until I move for school:

Me: "It's about 25 credit hours per semester."
Coworker: "Wow. You should seriously try to test out of some of those classes to lighten your load."
Seriously? 25 credits per semester? Plus working? Where did you even find a school that would allow you to do something that insane?

And I've also had a pre-med classmate that wore a lab in organic chem lab. He dropped out later in the semester.

Is this becoming common? I've seen this multiple times on this thread now.

Status
Not open for further replies.