Funny quotes from "less informed" premeds

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Should I be surprised that this thread is mostly full of douchey comments? The whole premise is basically "Let's show how much we know about medical school admissions and being doctors vs. other premeds and laugh at them!"

Oh yes I know. I just couldn't fit that all into the thread title.

Members don't see this ad.

So, we're sitting in genetics class and this kid raises his hand and says to the professor, "I'm having trouble understanding the lac operon: so, lactose is required to remove the repressor on the operator sequence, but permease is required to allow in lactose and permease is on the lac operon, then how does any lactose enter the cell to activate transcription of the genes that make permease in the first place?" lol what a tool!

Same kid:

Me: Hey, did you get your mcat score back yet?
Kid: Yeah! I just got it last week, I made a 32 I'm really happy!
Me: Oh that's good :laugh: So have you decided where you are going to apply yet?
Kid: I'm applying to the state schools and to a few private schools that I probably won't get into, but I think it is worth taking a shot. Also, just to be safe I'm thinking about applying to a few DO schools.

I had to walk away at this point to keep from literally loling at how little this premed knew. Also, I forgot to mention his GPA is somewhere around a 3.57, he actually made a B in organic II. :D

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

You sir, are brilliant.

Where I took ochem, we were required to buy our own (extremely overpriced) lab coats from the campus store. It turned out to be a good investment though, as I now wear it daily in actual lab.

Not a pre-med and actually kind of disheartening:

PI: What are you doing this summer besides research?
Me: Well I'm planning to take the MCAT in August.
PI: Have you been taking practice tests?
Me: Yea, a couple.
PI: Good! What have you been getting?
Me (somewhat reluctant): It varies...
PI: What are you expecting? A 42? Maybe 43? (Completely serious)

I now know why PI always looks at me as though I'm dumber than all the other premeds who have worked in our lab...

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Where I took ochem, we were required to buy our own (extremely overpriced) lab coats from the campus store. It turned out to be a good investment though, as I now wear it daily in actual lab.

PI: Have you been taken practice tests?

I now know why PI always looks at me as though I'm dumber than all the other premeds who have worked in our lab...

:eek:

PI: Have you been taking practice tests?

Out of curiosity, why do you need lab coats in lab?

In one of my freshman chem labs, this girl walks in sporting a white coat. She received some weird looks, from the students and lab instructor. I guess there's nothing totally wrong with that if that's your thing, but IMO its quite pretentious.

In one of my freshman chem labs, this girl walks in sporting a white coat. She received some weird looks, from the students and lab instructor. I guess there's nothing totally wrong with that if that's your thing, but IMO its quite pretentious.

Quite a few labs at my school actually require either lab coats or scrubs to be worn. Ex. general micro, medical micro, basically any micro lab and a few biochem labs.

But chem lab, not so much and I agree its kind of strange when people wear them.

My friend and her wild ideas

Me: So, we are graduating. what are your plans?

Her: Well, I am going to go audition for a tv show

Me: (impressed) Really which one?

Her: The Bad Girls Club

Me: (Shock) Umm why? aren't you interested in medical school?

Her: Yeah, I am but I feel that if I audition for the Bad Girls Club then I will be competitive for medical and give them something new in their class. Like I will be a sort of celebrity and I will have a lot of things to talk about.

Me: Oooo ok but I still don't the Bad Girls Club exemplifies a physician and by the way, are you even a BAD GIRL?

Her: Nooo, that's why it would be interested for me to audition and hopefully I get it. I am also auditioning for a football dance team.

Me: O ok, good luck but I don't think it's a great idea and I am just applying to Fulbright, Luce, Critical Language Scholarship and TFA :). TTYL

I KID YOU NOT GUYS AND GALS!

It's also disheartening when you find out how many people think you "just go" to medical school right after college. They have no idea how difficult the admissions process can be.

So true..
In a conversation with my mom about possible med schools to apply, she goes

Mom: "Why don't you just go to UCSF? It's close by to where your sister lives and stuff."

me: ................(May I remind you that UCSF is ranked top 5 in NIH grants alongside with Harvard, U Penn, and Johns Hopkins? And also the fact that it is one of the most selective schools in the nation?)......"sigh".....

"sure mom." :lame:

Last edited:

Our school requires lab coats to be worn in all laboratory courses, even the general chemistry lab course (also full length pants, shoes that cover your feet, goggles, and hair tied back lol). It's for safety apparently.

Reactions: 1 user
Our school requires lab coats to be worn in all laboratory courses, even the general chemistry lab course (also full length pants, shoes that cover your feet, goggles, and hair tied back lol). It's for safety apparently.
We have that, minus the lab coats. They even have loverly MC Hammer style plaid pants to put on over your shorts if you forget.

Not that it's ever happened to me *cough*

We have that, minus the lab coats. They even have loverly MC Hammer style plaid pants to put on over your shorts if you forget.

Not that it's ever happened to me *cough*
ttiwwp

Lab coats are a part of PPE, not a status symbol. Working in a chemistry or biology lab, especially micro, can expose you to things you would rather not have on your clothes all day. Not to mention many chemicals that are not that harmful to your health can ruin clothing very easily. For that reason, wearing a lab coat in a lab is simply a good idea.

The above does not, of course, apply to those who wear their lab coats all over campus, who are obviously just trying to look important.

Members don't see this ad :)
This was a discussion with a friend who recently decided to become premed:

Me: So you've gotten C's in bio and ochem... that's not looking good. Do you not like those classes?
Him: Yea I absolutely HATE biology. The human body just does not interest me. And all that crap about DNA and proteins and s***.
Me: You do realize that if you become a medical student/doctor you'll be studying massive amounts of biology... especially human physiology...
Him: Yea but you see, my logic is that since I hate those things, I'll have an advantage over students who love them.
Me: What?
Him: You see, I'll have always been studying something that I hate, so I'll be extra motivated. Whereas you guys who read wikipedia or whatever for fun will lose drive once it gets hard.
Me: Right...

I should mention that this guy is a math major, gets As in upper level math classes, and thought quantum mechanics was the "easiest thing ever!", so he's not naturally dumb... I'm still not getting his logic though.

--On a different note, in response to what someone asked about lab coats--

Other people already answered this, but for us it's PPE as well. I would absolutely refuse to work in a chemistry or my current (neuro & biochem) laboratory without protection gear... The thought of working with highly corrosive, infectious, carcinogenic or radioactive agents without a lab coat is pretty scary. I would hate to accidentally bring home some vaccinia or tritium... Even really common intro ochem chemicals (like pyrimidium tribromide or something) are just not things you want on the clothing you wear when you eat & sleep.

This also means though that we never bring our lab coats outside the laboratory... I shudder to think of the contamination that could result from bringing my (probably radioactive) lab coat to cafeteria or even just home to wash. Lab coats in non-laboratory, non-clinical environments make me cringe. But then again I work with immunocompromised individuals so I do have to be a little more careful than most.

Oh and not to be super paranoid, but lab coats are way easier to strip out of if you do spill something (or if you are a perfect pre-med, if someone else spills something on you). Those seconds matter if it's a corrosive chemical.

Should I be surprised that this thread is mostly full of douchey comments? The whole premise is basically "Let's show how much we know about medical school admissions and being doctors vs. other premeds and laugh at them!"

This thread more or less exemplifies what professionalism isn't.

This thread more or less exemplifies what professionalism isn't.

I think we ought to be professional in professional contexts... having sex isn't professional either, but it's a perfectly fine activity after work.

We're not (yet!) public figures; don't take so seriously a few harmless jokes. If you don't like the thread, don't open it.

Although, technically I'm supposed to be working in lab right now... Maybe you have a point :p

I think we ought to be professional in professional contexts... having sex isn't professional either, but it's a perfectly fine activity after work.

We're not (yet!) public figures; don't take so seriously a few harmless jokes. If you don't like the thread, don't open it.

Although, technically I'm supposed to be working in lab right now... Maybe you have a point :p

...so you want me to close the thread? I could totally do that.:smuggrin:

I was just responding to Narmerguy's comment. If you took offense to that, I am sorry as none was meant.

I was just responding to Narmerguy's comment. If you took offense to that, I am sorry as none was meant.

NOOOOOOOO I love this thread <3

Heard this story from another Pre-Med friend of mine who heard it from her Pre-med advisor at a local university.

A few years ago, a kid from Yale walks into the office of my friend's Pre-Med advisor since he lives in my area and is back home for the summer. He sits down and starts talking about applying to med schools. The Pre-Med advisor takes a look at his stats and says,

"Son, you're going to have to work on your GPA. A 2.8 cGPA isn't going to cut it for Med School."

The Yale kid straightens up in his chair and barks out, "I'm from Yale. A 2.8 from Yale is like a 4.0 at your school"

Word on the street is that he still hasn't got into med school 4 years later.

this isn't crazy or hilarious or anything, but i was talking to a veterinarian i know about med school and undergrad pre-reqs and stuff. he then tells me that he's going to, and i quote: "start grooming his son now to become a cardiac surgeon". the guy wasn't joking in the least. his son is 6 years old.

that parental mindset IMO is completely idiotic. just let the kid do what he wants

this isn't crazy or hilarious or anything, but i was talking to a veterinarian i know about med school and undergrad pre-reqs and stuff. he then tells me that he's going to, and i quote: "start grooming his son now to become a cardiac surgeon". the guy wasn't joking in the least. his son is 6 years old.

that parental mindset IMO is completely idiotic. just let the kid do what he wants

That's pretty sad...poor kid.

Last semester my friend and I were up late one night studying for our finals.

Being a bit flustered after she got a problem wrong, she slid in this little gem:

Her: Ugh... I can't wait til I'm done with all of this so I can just be in med school and relax.
Me: ....................

I actually say this all the time. The way I mean it is, the prereqs are so boring and rally have nothing to do with my future specialty but in med school its far more specific and indepth which for me would make it much, much more enjoyable.

I don't understand how it's typical for 7th graders to want to be microbiologists or neuroscientists. Maybe I come from a town of incredibly stupid people but I'm pretty sure that when I was in 7th grade the majority of my grade wouldn't have known what either were. However, I do think it's quite typical for a 7th grader to want to be a doctor or lawyer without :scared: this type of reaction..

ignore this if that post was supposed to be a joke.

7th grade was actually the grade where I made the decision to be a cardiac surgeon:D But everyone is different and has different experiences in life which provokes an interest in a certain subject/career path.

As much as everyone is free to smugly amuse themselves with how much more they know than some of their peers, we are equally free to point out that this thread lacks a basic level of humility and respect that I had assumed most individuals possessed or valued. Jokes are jokes, but making jokes at others' expense isn't always that amusing...is that really surprising?

You've got my vote! If only closing threads worked that way.

You guys don't work with H2SO4 and what not in gen chem labs?

Plus, the MSDS for water even says it can be an irritant!

This isn't a premed, but...

I injured my toe so I went to a podiatrist. I asked him if it would be healed in time so I can wear shoes for an upcoming interview for medical school.

Podiatrist: "What??? You have interviews for medical school??
Me: "Umm yes... aren't there interviews for podiatry school?"
Podiatrist: "Well yes!" (in a "duh!" kind of tone)

I don't know why that was so shocking to him :laugh:.

Btw, the stories I've read here (and experiences of my own) are funny because sometimes I assume that everyone is a premed or at least knows how it works. Then it's times like these I have to remind myself that not everyone knows the process. A lot of my friends are pre-health and I work in an academic research lab, so I'm used to most people understanding the process.

I'm by no means calling these people dumb or anything. I know that I haven't always understood the process myself. Not long ago, I was one of these naive premeds. We all were at some point. ;)

Y SO SERIOUS IN THIS THREAD?

If we post dumb **** we said, how does that work?

Heard this story from another Pre-Med friend of mine who heard it from her Pre-med advisor at a local university.

Really? My friends told me that her cousin's dog walker's friend's pre med advisor's student's previous pre med advisor dealt with a similar student. :p

This isn't a premed, but...

I injured my toe so I went to a podiatrist. I asked him if it would be healed in time so I can wear shoes for an upcoming interview for medical school.

I don't know why that was so shocking to him :laugh:.

Btw, the stories I've read here (and experiences of my own) are funny because sometimes I assume that everyone is a premed or at least knows how it works. Then it's times like these I have to remind myself that not everyone knows the process. A lot of my friends are pre-health and I work in an academic research lab, so I'm used to most people understanding the process.

I'm by no means calling these people dumb or anything. I know that I haven't always understood the process myself. Not long ago, I was one of these naive premeds. We all were at some point. ;)

Yeah I know what you mean! I'm not used to talking much with people who don't know anything about the process so when i encounter one I guess I have to stop myself and remind myself that not everyone knows how it works.

I've even encountered premeds who despite being grad students and passed simple ugrad stage don't know a lot about how it works or about residency and different things related to med school and it surprised me cuz I thought some things were common knowledge.

For the same reason you need them in a research lab. Its for safety precautions.

perhaps he meant:

just kidding. :laugh:

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

You sir, are brilliant.

So, we're sitting in genetics class and this kid raises his hand and says to the professor, "I'm having trouble understanding the lac operon: so, lactose is required to remove the repressor on the operator sequence, but permease is required to allow in lactose and permease is on the lac operon, then how does any lactose enter the cell to activate transcription of the genes that make permease in the first place?" lol what a tool!

Same kid:

Me: Hey, did you get your mcat score back yet?
Kid: Yeah! I just got it last week, I made a 32 I'm really happy!
Me: Oh that's good :laugh: So have you decided where you are going to apply yet?
Kid: I'm applying to the state schools and to a few private schools that I probably won't get into, but I think it is worth taking a shot. Also, just to be safe I'm thinking about applying to a few DO schools.

I had to walk away at this point to keep from literally loling at how little this premed knew. Also, I forgot to mention his GPA is somewhere around a 3.57, he actually made a B in organic II. :D

I actually don't get this. I mean the guy got 32 MCAT and GPA of 3.57. Although his GPA and his MCAT is about average but what's wrong with his response. I think it is pretty normal. He even said that he applies for DO schools as well.

I actually don't get this. I mean the guy got 32 MCAT and GPA of 3.57. Although his GPA and his MCAT is about average but what's wrong with his response. I think it is pretty normal. He even said that he applies for DO schools as well.

Sarcasm is lost on you, huh, brah?

Ok I had to bring this back up. I was at this volunteer orientation today and some 30 year old lady said that she was currently attending medical school.

Convo:

Her: I currently go to med school to get my degree in medicine to help people.

Me Oh really? Where do you go?

Her: Valencia Community College.

Me: (not trying to be a smart ass) You have you bachelors already?

Her: No silly boy, I'm getting my bachelors at my medical school. First I will be an assistant, than after 12 months I will be working with medicine.

Me: (I'm like wtf did this lady just insult me?) Oh what are you specializing in? (holding in my laughter)

Her: I'm doing medical technology, it's gonna be really rewarding.

Me: (I say nothing, go to the bathroom and have a fit of laughter.)

Oh yeah, you can diagnose and cure the diseases of technology?

This was a discussion with a friend who recently decided to become premed:

Me: So you've gotten C's in bio and ochem... that's not looking good. Do you not like those classes?
Him: Yea I absolutely HATE biology. The human body just does not interest me. And all that crap about DNA and proteins and s***.
Me: You do realize that if you become a medical student/doctor you'll be studying massive amounts of biology... especially human physiology...
Him: Yea but you see, my logic is that since I hate those things, I'll have an advantage over students who love them.
Me: What?
Him: You see, I'll have always been studying something that I hate, so I'll be extra motivated. Whereas you guys who read wikipedia or whatever for fun will lose drive once it gets hard.
Me: Right...

I should mention that this guy is a math major, gets As in upper level math classes, and thought quantum mechanics was the "easiest thing ever!", so he's not naturally dumb... I'm still not getting his logic though.

Although his nonchalant attitude right now may be offensive to some of us who have spent grueling years trying to become qualified, his logic kinda makes sense in a sad way. C's in prereqs are going to be an issue in his particular case, but I know plenty of doctors who have or once had similar attitudes but actually ended up being much more successful than all the "Oh I just love helping people SO MUCH and I love the BODY :love: and biology and curing diseases and helping peeeopple!!!" personalities.

It is hard for premeds to believe, but for some people the intellectual challenge, along with the prestige and money that physicians make, is fantastic motivation to carry them through all the way.

I had a person tell me they could transfer straight into Wash U Medical School after completing his first year at community college with a B average.

• Haha
This. This is why I love this thread. Makes me LOL every time. Just like Britney Spears makes me laugh.

They say going to a Britney Spears concert is the closest thing you will get to hearing her sing live

Not from a pre-med, but my friend is currently attending Chiropractic school...

Friend: Dude, I looked at admission standards for med school, and it's not even hard to get in!
Me: Huh?
Friend: Yeah, it's just as hard to get into Chiropractic school as it is med school, I looked at the University of Iowa's website, and you only need a 2.8 to get in.
Me: No.

Not from a pre-med, but my friend is currently attending Chiropractic school...

Friend: Dude, I looked at admission standards for med school, and it's not even hard to get in!
Me: Huh?
Friend: Yeah, it's just as hard to get into Chiropractic school as it is med school, I looked at the University of Iowa's website, and you only need a 2.8 to get in.
Me: No.

2.8???

Wow... Just wow.

Maybe if you're a URM and saved a small country from a re-emergence of some crazy disease.

2.8???

Wow... Just wow.

Maybe if you're a URM and saved a small country from a re-emergence of some crazy disease.

Well the whole point with that post was it was a Chiropractic school and not an allopathic MD school.

DO schools also have a min. of 2.7 as the GPA minimum believe it or not and a min. of 23 MCAT at many places.

Does it mean you'd get in with the bare minimum?? No it doesnt. Just like the MD programs that have a bare min. of 3.0 and 24 in Florida. Just cuz u have that doesn't mean u are getting in with that because of the level of competition. But nonetheless outside of MD programs, there are health professional programs that do have a 2.7 or 2.8 GPA requirement only at the bare minimum for entrance.

Ok I had to bring this back up. I was at this volunteer orientation today and some 30 year old lady said that she was currently attending medical school.

Convo:

Her: No silly boy, I'm getting my bachelors at my medical school. First I will be an assistant, than after 12 months I will be working with medicine.

Me: (I'm like wtf did this lady just insult me?) Oh what are you specializing in? (holding in my laughter)

:laugh: :laugh: I am always amazed by people's misperceptions of what med school is. I guess I've come to be surrounded by med students and residents and now a few who are even attendings finally that I always forget how much the general public is not necessarily informed on what is involved in medical training and what med school is vs. training for other allied health professions.

There seems to be a ton of people who don't understand that medical school is for future physicians. What I'm wondering is what exactly do they think it's called when you go to school to be a doctor?

"Doctor school?" "MD School?" "Whatever specialty you will be school?"

When I tell my undereducated relatives that I'm working and planning on going to med school (take note, I will be the first person on that side of the family to attend college, much less anything past those first four years) they ask me to cure all the congenital diseases they collectively have. So far I'm scheduled to cure cancer, huntington's, cystic fibrosis, and diabetes. :smack:

I just say I'm 'pre-med' or 'planning to be a doctor' to the casual question. If they indicate any knowledge about how the system works, I go into more detail (Buisness major doing the med school pre-reqs with the intention of matriculating med school). For the most part, though, 'pre-med' works well enough for 90%+ of the people who ask.

I honestly don't know how to respond to these people. They need to be corrected.

Convo:

Convo:

I had someone that was in a Medical Assistant program tell a bunch of people at a party she was in medical school. It was entertaining to say the least.

• Haha
I've had to correct quite a few premeds on the timeline for applying. I talked to juniors and even some seniors:

Me: So when do you think you'll apply?
Premed: The summer after I graduate. That way I'll go directly to med school.
Me: Uhh... You do know it takes a year to apply? So if you apply June after you graduate, you'll have an entire year off and get the in the next fall.
Premed: :eek:... what? What on earth am I supposed to do during the year off??

My family is also clueless on how applying works (but that's understandable). I applied the June one year after I graduated college, which meant I would have 2 gap years between college and med school. My parents/other family members would constantly ask me, "So... why are you taking off 2 years again? Can't you just start med school in the fall?" After explaining it to them several times. I finally sat down with them and drew them a timeline on paper. I think they finally got it after that.

And it annoys me how many premeds are obsessed with going to med school straight out of college (there's nothing wrong with wanting to go directly, but some are appalled by the thought of taking years off in between). One freshman premed in my lab thought I was weird/stupid for taking 2 years off. Even after I explained it to him, he would still ask:

Premed: So... what's your position in the lab again?
Me: Lab tech.
Premed: And you're an undergrad?
Me: No, I already graduated.
Premed: So, do they like pay you to work here?
Me: Yes, I work full-time...
Premed: But why didn't you just go to medical school?
Me: Well I didn't have time or money to apply during college. And lots of people take time off before starting medical school. Almost every premed I know who has graduated is taking at least 1 year off to save money, have time to take the MCAT, just take a break before going back to school, etc. It's actually pretty common nowadays.
Premed: *appalled* Why would you wait?? What would you do for 2 years off??
Me: Well I got a job...
Premed: So did you have a bad GPA or something?
Me: :annoyed:

That's usually everyone's response when I tell them I'm not going straight to med school (So you had a bad GPA?)... I graduated with a 3.99 cGPA / 4.00 sGPA... :mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.