Further guidance for next steps

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jstkeepswimming

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here is my previous post: Guidance on next steps

After years of work, my cumulative GPA has finally hit 3.0 (3.0037 to be exact šŸ˜…) My sGPA is now at 2.92. I have been continuing my non-clinical volunteering, but my clinical volunteering has been paused due to the pandemic (still have ~ 100 hours). My goal to bring my GPA to this level was to prevent myself from getting screened out. I am still taking 3 classes this quarter so both GPAs should go up slightly. I am also planning on taking a course in summer, and in theory this should bring my sGPA above 3.0 as well.

I am working on getting more shadowing experience and have been looking into scribing as well. I have 2 years of research under my belt but am looking for more. I am planning on taking my MCAT at the end of this summer. I wanted to get opinions from others and what I should do next. Is it advisable for me to apply for SMP programs? I think an SMP route is the way to go here, especially if I want to increase my chances at an MD school. I understand I should apply DO as well (which I definitely will).

So I have maintained a 4.0 in upper division science courses for just under 3 years (senior year of college - until now). 20 credit hours at the end of senior year, and 73 credit hours in my post bacc (I am in the quarter system).

So what do you all think? Do an SMP this upcoming cycle and then apply? Or would be it feasible to skip the SMP, focus on my MCAT (will be doing this regardless of course), bump up my volunteer/shadow hours, get some more work/research experience, and then apply June 2022?

Thank you for any help here. It's been a long journey but I'm starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

PS - Some more things to add on - I am a CA resident, an ORM, and attended UCR. I actually believe my best shot is at the medical school at my UC simply because I did all my post bacc work here, as well as all my volunteering - and they look at UCR students in a special pool compared to the rest of the applicants. Anyways, this is just me speculating of course, nothing is certain.

Members don't see this ad.

I basically have the same statistical backstory as you. I graduated in 2015 with a 2.7 cGPA and a 2.38 sGPA and then did a 2.5 year postbac until I got both of my GPAā€™s above 3.0. I ended up getting a 507 on my MCAT, which was disappointing at the time but still higher than the average for my state school who I received some love from and am currently waitlisted there. If I donā€™t get in, then I will reapply this year ED and I have confidence that I will receive an acceptance next cycle (God willing).

Iā€™m telling you all of this because as long as your extracurriculars are solid and you do well on the MCAT (relative to UCRā€™s standards) then I think you should try applying there for one cycle before doing an SMP. It may save you tens of thousands of dollars and a couple of years of time.

I basically have the same statistical backstory as you. I graduated in 2015 with a 2.7 cGPA and a 2.38 sGPA and then did a 2.5 year postbac until I got both of my GPAā€™s above 3.0. I ended up getting a 507 on my MCAT, which was disappointing at the time but still higher than the average for my state school who I received some love from and am currently waitlisted there. If I donā€™t get in, then I will reapply this year ED and I have confidence that I will receive an acceptance next cycle (God willing).

Iā€™m telling you all of this because as long as your extracurriculars are solid and you do well on the MCAT (relative to UCRā€™s standards) then I think you should try applying there for one cycle before doing an SMP. It may save you tens of thousands of dollars and a couple of years of time.
I agree with this logic.
The OP has three years of credit hours maintaining a 4.0.
OP - focus in maximizing MCAT and ECs over this next year and apply June 2022 for sure.
Your post Bach sounds strong enough.