Future Vet Med Student Looking for Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Berlin16

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently was accepted to both Midwestern University and Mississippi State University. I am so grateful for the opportunity, however it has been very stressful trying to decide where to go. After I interviewed at Midwestern University, everything about it felt right. The location, the people, the curriculum, etc. However, I also interviewed at Mississippi State and had a wonderful experience as well. The students were friendly and the curriculum is also great. I am hesitant to live in the south, where I have had bad experiences before. I am also concerned about living in a very small town since I am definitely a city person. I am leaning toward Midwestern, but I'm concerned that I am throwing away all of the potential connections I can get from MSU, since it is a more established school and offers a residency program for those who want to specialize. I know my hesitation for Mississippi State is based on not important factors, but I can't help but feel that way. I guess what I am trying to ask is, would it be a big mistake to choose a school based on a "gut feeling"?

Members don't see this ad.

Unless you are independently wealthy, the first thing I would look at are the cost comparisons for the two schools for you (tuition, living expenses). If you are a Mississippi resident, it's not even close. If not, state is probably still substantially cheaper.

but I'm concerned that I am throwing away all of the potential connections I can get from MSU, since it is a more established school and offers a residency program for those who want to specialize.

That's not a factor. You are going to veterinary school, not doing a residency. I would focus on which school is best for you. Residency is at least 5 years away and is a separate decision if an when you get to that point.

Reactions: 6 users
Choose your cheapest option. That's all that matters right now. If you do an internship and a residency, it's not necessary (and maybe not ideal) to go the the same school where you did your DVM. Regardless, that's 5 or 6 years away!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I recently was accepted to both Midwestern University and Mississippi State University. I am so grateful for the opportunity, however it has been very stressful trying to decide where to go. After I interviewed at Midwestern University, everything about it felt right. The location, the people, the curriculum, etc. However, I also interviewed at Mississippi State and had a wonderful experience as well. The students were friendly and the curriculum is also great. I am hesitant to live in the south, where I have had bad experiences before. I am also concerned about living in a very small town since I am definitely a city person. I am leaning toward Midwestern, but I'm concerned that I am throwing away all of the potential connections I can get from MSU, since it is a more established school and offers a residency program for those who want to specialize. I know my hesitation for Mississippi State is based on not important factors, but I can't help but feel that way. I guess what I am trying to ask is, would it be a big mistake to choose a school based on a "gut feeling"?
Yes it would be a mistake to choose a school on a gut feeling-you'll regret it in the end when you're done and trying to live. So I agree with everyone above. My friend moved from Phoenix to Pullman, WA from the 5th largest city in the US to a town with a population of ~30k. She's doing just fine. You will get in the groove of things. You'll hang out with people from the vet school. It'll be a different experience than what you've had before. Also living expenses in Glendale is super expensive and I can't imagine Mississippi is more expensive. Do the math, go look at VIN. I'm sure Mississippi is by far the cheapest option out of the two. Be open to new opportunities starting with where to go to school-it will take you far. Also don't worry about residency right now you will make great connections no matter where you go- I have connections in CO, MO, and NY and I'm clear out here in WA. For residency you often go through the match (just one way to do it) but you're not guaranteed your #1 spot or even a spot in the residency you want. Alot of times depending on the specialty you need to do an internship first. I encourage you-go to your cheapest option and be open to new opportunities. Goodluck! My pm box is always open if you have any questions

Reactions: 1 user
Honestly, go to your cheapest option. I really loved Midwestern when I interviewed there as well, and I felt right at place. But I ended up choosing my cheaper option and I'm so glad I did. The novelty of vet school will run out real quick, but your debt will follow you for the next 30 years of your life.

Reactions: 1 user
I thought I would toss in my 2 cents. I'm from Glendale, AZ. In fact, I lived over the mountain from the new vet school and watched it being built as I would go to the post office. I grew up in the 'burbs my whole life and am a pro in the city. That being said, I attend Mississippi State. When it came to costs, State was cheaper. I graduate in May and do not regret my decision. Starkville is small but is getting better and I enjoy taking trips with my friends to Columbus/Tuscaloosa/Birmingham. DM me if you have any questions.

Honestly go to your cheapest option. You form friendships within vet med and you just don't have the time you think you will for extracurriculars - at least in terms of travel. You'll have a few free weekends to go off and so something but most of the time you'll only get a spare couple hours here and there. And in terms of residencies, the majority of people do not do residencies at the same school they did their DVM.