GA school applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Question: I got on campus housing @ under 200/mo (no roomate), and I know of a place I would be really happy with for ~350/mo (with roomates). Both are really cheap, and both have pros and cons. I was excited at first, but several of my friends (not MCG students) have told me not to live on campus. What would you do?

Members don't see this ad.

Question: I got on campus housing @ under 200/mo (no roomate), and I know of a place I would be really happy with for ~350/mo (with roomates). Both are really cheap, and both have pros and cons. I was excited at first, but several of my friends (not MCG students) have told me not to live on campus. What would you do?

My professor (an MCG grad) also did not recommend living on campus. He recommended the Hill neighborhood as long as you live north of Wrightsboro Rd...very affordable and safer than on-campus housing. If I get in, I'm definitely living off-campus.

I stayed for a summer program at MCG in 2006, and I lived in the on campus housing.

All I can say is: Not a chance in hell...Never again...No way...

I wouldn't recommend living there. You're going to live...literally...15 yards from section 8 housing.

I saw a guy beating his wife 20 yards from me while I was walking to class to take a test. Not exactly what's best for the mind prior to a medical biochem test.

Members don't see this ad :)

I wouldn't live on campus. I have friends who parked in the parking lot near on-campus housing, which is right next to the government housing, and she said many cars were broken into there, especially the ones that stayed overnight. As a woman, I wouldn't feel too safe living there, plus on-campus housing looks like the graduate housing at UGA, depressing. I think you would be happier and safer in a different location, even if you have roommates. Personally, I am going to try my hardest to afford living alone in a one bedroom apartment to avoid roommate troubles and for quietness/peace of mind.

I would live off campus too. Living on campus does not give you very many options and if you hate the housing it would really stink. With an apartment or house you have more of a choice, and given the area around MCG it would probably be a better location.

Thanks for the responses. I'm still going to take a tour of the housing because living alone is somewhat of a plus for me, but I doubt seriously I'll end up there.

i hope some more phone calls go out on tuesday.

:banana:

My professor (an MCG grad) also did not recommend living on campus. He recommended the Hill neighborhood as long as you live north of Wrightsboro Rd...very affordable and safer than on-campus housing. If I get in, I'm definitely living off-campus.

The hill area is nice. I'm living in a place off of Hickman and Walton Way.. It's a very nice 2 bed flat that is 800/month. It's more expensive than most of the houses that I looked at... but I'll take the increased price to stay out of the meth labs that I saw in the houses for 600 (2bed).

pushing to the front page

ANY WAITLIST MOVEmenT at MCG?

Nothing here. I get the creeping suspicion that most of the waitlist movement has come and gone. It sucks that they don't let you know where you stand. I'm giving myself until June 15th, and then I'm going to start looking for a place in Savannah. Does anyone know some good areas to look at around Memorial?

MCG students.

Daughter just moved out May 24 to take residency in Winston-Salem.

Free standing patio home $144,900. 10% down $14,900. $130,000 financed over 30 years.

Principal and interest $780 per month based on 6% interest
Escrow extra.

3BR, 2BA 1550 sqft (estimate).

Listed with Meybohm

Easy travel to MCG using two different routes. 10 minutes. Use River Watch or Washington to reach MCG. Look for Alexander Commons subdivision off Alexander Road. Located two miles from both exit 199 or exit 200 off I-20

2535 Commons Trace
Augusta, Ga.

Just recently took my mcat! phewww! that was pretty tough! Sciences I feel I rocked...but that damn verbal gets me every time!

it's all in god's hands now...

just 30 more days until my scores come out...:scared:

Just recently took my mcat! phewww! that was pretty tough! Sciences I feel I rocked...but that damn verbal gets me every time!

Good luck! I hated those 30 days...

Members don't see this ad :)

This next month is just a taste of the application season anxiety.

Have fun waiting it out.

Edit- in response to your original question, I don't know how selective UMDNJ is for OOS students. Something tells me it will be easier to get in UMDNJ OOS than MCG OOS, but there is probably still a bias there. You look good for MCG, pending your MCAT scores.

You might try Drexel, though. Or maybe one of the NY schools? You are originally from GA, right?

Good luck! I hated those 30 days...

Ha! You younsters and your new-fangled MCATS don't know what waiting is...why, back in my day we took our MCATs on paper (that's this white stuff that's roughly rectangular in shape, very thin, and can be used for writing). Back in the day the test was only offered twice a year and we had to wait six weeks to get our scores...pretty soon, they'll offer the MCAT via a texting format!

Just wanted to see what was up with those of you who are still waiting to see if you get off the waitlist. Has there been much movement that you guys know about lately? I know its frustrating, but its worth it.

I doubt this is of any consolation, but I can all but promise you that when your dreams come true and you're looking back over your first year of medical school, you'll realize a few things:

1. The happiest time of your entire life will be from the second you find out you're accepted until the white coat ceremony at your respective schools.
2. Burn-out is a virtual certainty. By the end of year 1 it doesn't matter how noble and fervent your desire to become a doctor, you'll question whether you really want to come back for year 2.
3. You'll definately come back for year 2, not because you've renewed your desire to spend a career de-worming orphans in Somolia but because you've droped $60,000 on 1/4 an education that is worthless if it is not completed.
4. You're the luckiest person in the world to have the privaledge to do what you're doing and if you had to go through it all over agin, you would.

Just my reflections on MS1 (although Mercer is still not done for two weeks)

1. The happiest time of your entire life will be from the second you find out you're accepted until the white coat ceremony at your respective schools.

If this is the happiest time of my life, I am in for a real disappointment (life-wise). I would consider this the low point (for me) since college started.

I'm living at home, doing back taxes, waiting for med school to start (been waiting a year already), not doing much 'real' work, and I can't seem to sleep at all lately. And why? I have had nothing but good news in the past 6 months, but I can't bring myself to do anything.

Sorry to be a downer. Congrats on being finished with your first year!

Last edited:
If this is the happiest time of my life, I am in for a real disappointment (life-wise). I would consider this the low point (for me) since college started.

I'm living at home, doing back taxes, waiting for med school to start (been waiting a year already), not doing much 'real' work, and I can't seem to sleep at all lately. And why? I have had nothing but good news in the past 6 months, but I can't bring myself to do anything.

Sorry to be a downer. Congrats on being finished with your first year!

Ha! So, everybody has a different experience. Maybe I should've clarified though: while this may not be the "happiest time" in your life in general, this is the point where you can't help but see medicine through "rose colored glasses". As a pre-med you torture yourself all through college to do all the "right" things that will get you accepted. If you're one of the 50% who actually hold an acceptance letter it can't help but feel like the crowning achievement of your life. White Coat ceremony is one of the funniest feelings because you're actually celebrating the START of something as opposed to the culmination. On the other hand, it IS a celebration of the culmination of all your years of hard work which got you that far.

Anyway, I don't want to get to philosophical. Enjoy your summer, soak it up, and see if there is any disparity between the way you feel at the White Coat Ceremony and the way you feel on your first day of med school. I'd seriously be interested to hear back from you (and everyone starting this year) a year from now to see if you feel similar!

Medicine is great, but it will change you.

3. You'll definitely come back for year 2, not because you've renewed your desire to spend a career de-worming orphans in Somolia but because you've dropped $60,000 on 1/4 an education that is worthless if it is not completed.

Haha. I've been feeling that pressure already. Especially since it's Mercer's budget that is $60,000 a year. If only MCG would take me off the wait list!

Bonodid, do you know what MCG's budget is, including living expenses off-campus?

3. You'll definitely come back for year 2, not because you've renewed your desire to spend a career de-worming orphans in Somolia but because you've dropped $60,000 on 1/4 an education that is worthless if it is not completed.

Haha. I've been feeling that pressure already. Especially since it's Mercer's budget that is $60,000 a year. If only MCG would take me off the wait list!

Bonodid, do you know what MCG's budget is, including living expenses off-campus?

Sorry to answer for Bonodid, but I actually just had the tuition and fees pulled up.

The first year tuition for Ga residents is $17,859 and all other expenses (including rent, food, transportation, etc) are estimated to be roughly $1,909 a month for off-campus and $1,689 for on-campus. This is a little skewed though, I don't know any college student who could possibly imagine spending $525 on food a month. Maybe in medical school the students just find time to eat more? HA!

4. You're the luckiest person in the world to have the privaledge to do what you're doing and if you had to go through it all over agin, you would.

That makes it worth the entire process :) Thanks GAdoc!

Sorry to answer for Bonodid, but I actually just had the tuition and fees pulled up.

The first year tuition for Ga residents is $17,859 and all other expenses (including rent, food, transportation, etc) are estimated to be roughly $1,909 a month for off-campus and $1,689 for on-campus. This is a little skewed though, I don't know any college student who could possibly imagine spending $525 on food a month. Maybe in medical school the students just find time to eat more? HA!

My bad, I didn't get on SDN for awhile. YES these figures are skewed: MCG's cost of attendance is UNDER the federal amount allowed for stafford loans, which means we can only borrow as much as MCG says it will cost to attend. SO, MCG says it costs more than it really does so that we can borrow as much as we want.

In reality, Augusta is much cheaper than the average city in terms of apartment rentals, home sales, food, and even GAS (on the border with South Carolina) and you probably won't come close to the COA. Hope this helps!

My bad, I didn't get on SDN for awhile. YES these figures are skewed: MCG's cost of attendance is UNDER the federal amount allowed for stafford loans, which means we can only borrow as much as MCG says it will cost to attend. SO, MCG says it costs more than it really does so that we can borrow as much as we want.

In reality, Augusta is much cheaper than the average city in terms of apartment rentals, home sales, food, and even GAS (on the border with South Carolina) and you probably won't come close to the COA. Hope this helps!

While we're discussing money, let me throw in something about Mercer (since I know some of you are really sweating the amount of debt you're fixing to be the proud owner of)

As bodonid alluded to the financial aid department of the school sets the amount of federal oan money you can borrow. I'm sure there is some rediculously high cap, but so far no school's budget has reached it...I can promise, Mercer would be the first to do so!

The financial aid offices determines the student budget on a yearly basis. This past year was about $60,000 for everything. Thus, you could borrow up to that amount in federal loans (Stafford subsidized and unsubsidized as well as Grad PLUS loan). All of these loans are federal loans which means the terms and conditions are significantly better than private loans.

The bottom line is: regardless of where you attend, there will be plenty of money for you to go to school and live for a year (provided you don't try to take any trips to Europe during your Christmas break).

Anyone know how the stats from mercer this year compare with past years? I am wondering if the addition of 30 seats has lowered the statistics at all?

Anyone know how the stats from mercer this year compare with past years? I am wondering if the addition of 30 seats has lowered the statistics at all?

MCAT actually should go up. Last cycle they raised their cut off minimum from 21 to 24. I actually talked to Ms. Putnam because a friend of mine wanted to know the cut off and there is a possibility that they will raise it to 25. Not sure about the GPA though.

MCAT actually should go up. Last cycle they raised their cut off minimum from 21 to 24. I actually talked to Ms. Putnam because a friend of mine wanted to know the cut off and there is a possibility that they will raise it to 25. Not sure about the GPA though.

I don't think Mercer has an initial GPA cut-off. That's pretty big news about possibly raising the minimum MCAT to a 25, considering the overall average was a 25.55 for the entering class of 2007.

There seems to be almost no movement on the Mercer waitlist (atleast from what I have seen on here). Come On Mercer! I need some hope!

I don't think Mercer has an initial GPA cut-off. That's pretty big news about possibly raising the minimum MCAT to a 25, considering the overall average was a 25.55 for the entering class of 2007.

Yeah she said it would be a safe bet that it will be 24-25 for this next cycle, it was 24 for this last cycle. Based on previous MSARs I think they have seen an increase in applicants every year and I am sure Savannah will get them more attention from applicants so that may have caused them to be more selective and have a higher cut-off.

So, who's getting ready to re-apply??

Even though I'm on two waitlists, I'm going ahead and submitting the 2009 AMCAS as soon as the submit button lights up. I'd rather bet on applying early than waiting until August, only to not get off a waitlist by then.

So, who's getting ready to re-apply??

Even though I'm on two waitlists, I'm going ahead and submitting the 2009 AMCAS as soon as the submit button lights up. I'd rather bet on applying early than waiting until August, only to not get off a waitlist by then.

Same. And also retaking the MCAT in August.

Did anyone decide to apply EDP this time around?

Does anyone know by chance how the MCG wait list is going. Is it moving? How many people do you think might have gotten off the wait list? Is it true that about half of the incoming class will be from the wait list (I heard that from someone)?

Just kind of worried I guess. Thinking about what's next. The feeling sucks.

Thanks for any help you guys can give me.

Does anyone know by chance how the MCG wait list is going. Is it moving? How many people do you think might have gotten off the wait list? Is it true that about half of the incoming class will be from the wait list (I heard that from someone)?

Just kind of worried I guess. Thinking about what's next. The feeling sucks.

Thanks for any help you guys can give me.
I don't think there has been much movement this year (according to mercer), and I've been told that they don't expect much more movement. We'll be best served by getting those apps for 08 in

I was told that most of the movement already happened around may 15 and on any given year they accept 60-80 people off the waitlist.

If it offers any consolation, I knew someone who got off the MCG waitlist in late July last year. But yeah, most of the movement is between mid May and early June.

I applied EDP to Mercer, where did you apply?

MCG.

If it offers any consolation, I knew someone who got off the MCG waitlist in late July last year. But yeah, most of the movement is between mid May and early June.

MCG.

heh, a guy from my school got in the day before orientation last year.

Mercer Savannah people:

You guys been reading that book?

Mercer Savannah people:

You guys been reading that book?

The biochem one? Of course, I have it memorized ... no I have not even ordered it yet, lol. My goal is to rest before the coming storm, although I should probably start ordering books, do you know of any others that we will need?

The biochem one? Of course, I have it memorized ... no I have not even ordered it yet, lol. My goal is to rest before the coming storm, although I should probably start ordering books, do you know of any others that we will need?

Take whatayear's advice and rest before the coming storm. Several of my classmates took the $1800 summer "Crash course" offered by Mercer's undergrad. science dept. last year thinking it would help them out in August. It didn't. I don't think any of them would tell you its worth wasting your money or time.

I got tired of hearing second and third years say to my class "don't worry, you can do it or else you wouldn't be here". I kept thinking, "what if I'm the one or two of the sixty that really can't do it"! That's a lot of money to risk!

So, let me be more specific. Self-doubt is probably the MOST damaging thing to a medical student. Not only can you do the work, but in all honestly, a highly motivated high school graduate could more than likely do the work. Let me reitterate that age old mantra of medical school: it is NOT the complexity of the material that will get you...its the amount. Unlike anything you had in undergrad. the key to overcoming the amount of work is simple: TIME.

If you want to be successful and do something positive for yourself, here is my advice: relax this summer, soak up orientation and get to know your classmates, and then hit the ground running on day 1. OVERWORK your first phase (if you're going to Mercer). Even if that's the only phase you do that much work in.

As far as books: you should get a book list. However, the profs. put every possible book you could need on it. For those of you going to Savannah, you don't have Big Sibs to give advice on which to buy and which to check out from the library. Here is my advice:

For Phase A: Mark's Basic Medical Biochem, Robbins Pathologic Basis of Disease (also check out the smaller pocket guide affectionately known as "fetal robbins"...it may be worth it to have it as well), Sherris Medical Microbiology, Boron Medical Physiology, Katzung Basic and Clinical Pharmacology, Kierzenbaum Histology and Cell Biology. Look for the most recent editions.

There are some more as well, but those are the ones you will need FOR SURE!Also, you'll use those books in every phase.

When you get your lists, please feel free to ask if you need help further whittling down the list. That goes for each phase (for those of you in Savannah). I'm not sure what they're planning to do about you guys not having big sibs, but I'd be glad to give you all the advice I can.

So, don't worry about reading that book this summer?

I'm so nervous right now man.

For some reason I keep thinking that they are going to give us like 2243 pages per night to read, and I want to get a jump on it.

But at the same time, I honestly DON'T want to spend my summer studying.

I need some advice for a wee little predicament I have got myself into. My premed advisor will not send in my letter to amcas until he gets my mcat score which should be around july the 13th (june 13th mcat). AMCAS told me it can take up to fifteen days to process a letter of rec. So, it is feasible for me to still apply early decision to mercer who has a Aug. 1 deadline? How long did it take you guys to receive their secondary after you submitted your primary? Thanks. :scared:

I need some advice for a wee little predicament I have got myself into. My premed advisor will not send in my letter to amcas until he gets my mcat score which should be around july the 13th (june 13th mcat). AMCAS told me it can take up to fifteen days to process a letter of rec. So, it is feasible for me to still apply early decision to mercer who has a Aug. 1 deadline? How long did it take you guys to receive their secondary after you submitted your primary? Thanks. :scared:

It would seem to me a bit difficult to apply EDP anyplace without knowing what your MCAT score is, or how your letter of rec. will read.

In terms of timing, July is one of the busiest processing months. Last year I submitted on June 27th and it took them 3.5 weeks to process. Mercer responded in 3 weeks. Perhaps Mercer can cut you some slack and send you their secondaries early though, if you call? You will have until the 15th of August to submit them.

GA doc should be able to help on this, I haven't applied EDP to Mercer so it may be different

So, don't worry about reading that book this summer?

I'm so nervous right now man.

For some reason I keep thinking that they are going to give us like 2243 pages per night to read, and I want to get a jump on it.

But at the same time, I honestly DON'T want to spend my summer studying.

I personally did not read, and I cannot imagine how it would've helped me. A certain amount of fear, or "anticipation" is probably healthy as it will be infinately better to over-do it your first phase than to wind up with a failing or near failing grade. I know it sounds like those two statements are contradictory, but I can promise that the curriculum is designed as if you have never had any courses other than the basic pre-med classes. We had people in my class who hadn't taken college classes in ten years who did fine. As I said, the question is not how much time are you willing to spend preparing now...it's how hard are you willing to work once you begin.

If you ever competed in some type of sport like track, you probably have realized that without a coach breathing down your neck you'll probably never achieve the same level of performance on your own. Trying to read out of Marks without any direction is like running track without a coach. It will probably only frustrate you.

You'll be fine. Phase A has about 1800 pages of reading total. My strategy: try to be finished with the reading in 4 weeks to have 2 weeks of review. Also, ask big sibs what you really should read versus what you can learn from resources or review type books. You'll never need to do all of the histology reading or pharmacology reading that is assigned. Just don't be afraid to ask.

It would seem to me a bit difficult to apply EDP anyplace without knowing what your MCAT score is, or how your letter of rec. will read.

In terms of timing, July is one of the busiest processing months. Last year I submitted on June 27th and it took them 3.5 weeks to process. Mercer responded in 3 weeks. Perhaps Mercer can cut you some slack and send you their secondaries early though, if you call? You will have until the 15th of August to submit them.

GA doc should be able to help on this, I haven't applied EDP to Mercer so it may be different

Yeah, I'd call the admissions office and ask what you can do. More than likely, they'll let you apply EDP, but they won't consider your file complete until the MCAT and LOR are in your file. However, as long as all of that information is in their office by the deadline for EDP (I think August 1) you won't have a problem. While you're waiting on AMCAS to process your file, I'd stay in touch with Mercer and let them know everything is coming. Once you can tell them your MCAT and LOR are on their way, I'd ask for a secondary so that you can go ahead and be working on it.

So I just visited the Savannah campus of Mercer and I'm extremely impressed! How many medical students have the opportunity to go to school actually IN a major hospital? Memorial is one of only three level one trauma centers in GA (if you're excited by that, I am). Apparently, the anatomy lab is in the hospital itself, though Mercer has a separate building complete with a full library. Also, with such a small class size there, the faculty will be even closer at hand, a critical factor for me. I think there will be some opportunities there that may not be available in Macon given the situation, though I'm sure there will be bumps in the road. Anyways, I was unaware of all of this before I visited, so I thought I'd share my excitement.

Besides all of that, there's always the beach (which was amazing)!

I could have sworn there were four L1 trauma centers in Georgia.

Yes, Savannah is nice; did you see the "library" and the "student center" though? When I was there they were just empty buildings. What do they look like now?