Gap Year Job Help - 3 Opportunities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

roller48

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I was hoping to get some help on deciding between 3 opportunities right now based on my long term goals as I can't tell what is the best option and keep going in circles only talking to myself about this. Most of my friends just tell me to take the job offering more money without really considering all the other points I make. I believe I'd enjoy all positions equally* as I'm passionate about research as well as finance and most jobs involve a blend of that.

For background I'm a C/O 2019 grad from a T7 public school, I did a self-structured postbacc from their pay-to-play school the year after graduation. Stats are 3.7 GPA, 3.6 sGPA, MCAT: TBD as I got startled by my practice scores and didn't take it. Spoiler: This threw me off from my plans to apply this cycle :( so I figured I might as well get a decent paying job to prep for the fiscal gaping that is about to occur during a 40 school first time app cycle. Also I hope I can use this time to really hit a 515+ score on the MCAT.

So thats how we get to now. Clinical experience wise, I've so far worked at a private practice pain clinic for 6 months as a medical assistant/scribe, and after that I have been scribing at a major teaching hospital for 8 months (so far) in 2 surgical specialties. I also have 1500+ in non-medical related volunteering, plus a whole other full time job I did for 2.5 years in finance/HR.

These are all the full time opportunities l'm trying to decide between:

1. Fund manager for the biochem lab department at a T15 hospital (alumni campus) - Pro: 10K higher salary, Con: Commuting - would be 3 hours daily (avg. 1.5 there, 1.5 hour back ~ can vary cause traffic). Hoping LORs can help along with MCAT to get into this program
  2. Administrative Assistant for the head of the radiology department at a T15 hospital which I scribe at Pro: Close by - 30-60 min total commute, Con: -10k salary, Less interesting job (?). Same case here, hoping LORs can help.
  3. Continue scribing (25-28 hours weekly) and take on a scribe ambassador role for large corp. where it is 20 hours WFH and conduct interviews for future scribes. Pro: Direct clinical, unsure if I still need more of these hours however. WFH so I can maybe even have more time to study for the MCAT. Con: Not full time so no benefits, unsure if it'll help me get into either of the programs
The thing that is making this very hard is that I would love to attend either of these schools if possible. I just can't tell which role, would contribute more and help me make that a reality. I also believe job 1 seems much more commanding on a resume than 2. Job 1 is administrative but in biochem, job 2 is administrative but with radiology directly in a teaching hospital. *Also I know I said each job seems as interesting and I'm sure they will be but as of now, I think learning about NIH grants processes and applying for grants seems more interesting and helpful in the long-run than compared to mainly handling personal assistant type work (but I could be completely wrong about what I'm expecting in job 2). As you all can see, I'm very confused and would love any advice. Thank you all for reading to the end of this crazy situation. Just want to make the most for my gap year and help increase my chances at staying In-State in this nonsense known as CA apps.

TLDR: 3 jobs, what would you do in my situation?

1. Fund manager biochem - alumni campus, NIH apps go brr
  2. Admin Assistant - Rads at same hospital as scribing (building on exp??), teaching hospital
  3. Continue to be exploited with underpaid labor - I mean, continue scribing and take on 'ambassador' role to conduct future scribe interviews. Hopeful for LORs from physicians at teaching hospital through more hours scribing (?)

Members don't see this ad.

If you’re applying this year, I wouldn’t take job #1. You need time to write good secondaries and have time to study for the MCAT and you won’t have that with job #1’s 3 hour commute. It also seems like an important position and I can’t imagine they’d be happy when you have to take time off for interviews. I don’t think being an administrative assistant, job #2, would give you any pull with admissions. It seems more chill, but if you don’t like that type of work then don’t do it. Scribing, #3, gives you the most time to work on applications and the MCAT so maybe stick with that. If none of those satisfy you, then maybe look for other opportunities.

If you’re applying this year, I wouldn’t take job #1. You need time to write good secondaries and have time to study for the MCAT and you won’t have that with job #1’s 3 hour commute. It also seems like an important position and I can’t imagine they’d be happy when you have to take time off for interviews. I don’t think being an administrative assistant, job #2, would give you any pull with admissions. It seems more chill, but if you don’t like that type of work then don’t do it. Scribing, #3, gives you the most time to work on applications and the MCAT so maybe stick with that. If none of those satisfy you, then maybe look for other opportunities.
Thank you for your reply! I would be applying next cycle so after a year of working there full time. Would your advice change dependent on that or would you still recommend role 3? As what you said is very true and role 3 would probably give me the most time as it would be more chill than a real full time job.

Members don't see this ad :)
You have the makings of a great application with your volunteer work, clinical experience, and pretty good GPA. Getting a high score on your MCAT will round out your application nicely. I think I’d still say stick with job #3, since you’ll be studying for the MCAT you need the time. Job #1 sounds interesting, but that commute would be killer. Even job #2s commute sounds like it would be way too long. If you stick to scribing, after you take your MCAT, you can use that extra time per week to shadow, volunteer, get involved in leadership activities, or just destress. Alternatively you could move close to job #1, so that it would have a short commute, but it could cost you some money if you have a cheap living situation right now/living with your parents. Job #1 would probably set you up the best if you wanted a back-up plan to medical school since it’s the most career type of job. I’m not sure how much of a boost it gives you in terms of your medical school application though.

Last edited:
I personally would advocate for job number three. While the first two could help with connections to these institutions, it's not necessarily worth hanging your hat on. Number three also gives you real clinical experience as a part of the job which is something that is good to continue to engage in.

Additionally, don't discount the commute (or lack thereof). Unless there is a public transportation option to job number one I would rule it out immediately. Commuting is draining and as someone who had an hour + commute each way to a job for two years you typically don't have the same energy to be productive and focus once you're home. Also, unless it's on public transportation where you can study, it's that much time you're losing on being able to do other things.

That being said, if you are self motivated enough to spend down time studying after work and know that you'll be proactive enough to engage with faculty in the lab and make those connections the first job will look impressive IMHO. (It also sounds like you may be more interested in job one anyway.)

Personally it sounds like a Goldilocks situation going on with all three of these. Job number one makes the most pasta but requires a pretty significant commute that assuming your work day is 8ish hours extends your total time to about 11 hours with your commute. Job number three sounds to be the closest to home but doesn't have the benefits of the other two. Where is job number two sounds like it has a little bit of everything you like while not being perfect in one area.

Just one man's thoughts, but I hope you're happy with whichever you choose and good luck with applications!

David D MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors