This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fishrfriendsnotfood

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
so to begin, I do not want to take a gap year. am firmly against the idea if I do not have to.

in terms of research/EC's I believe I am a pretty strong applicant with 3.9+/hopefully will receive a good MCAT score, taking in Jan.

I am a little worried about physician shadowing and clinical experience. I have around 150 shadowing hours and should have 150-200 clinical volunteer hours by the time I apply. Is this enough for clinical stuff? I have been reading some articles online that adcoms care much more about clinical experience than other things like research. How true is that based on people's experiences with admissions?

Can someone please give me a little insight into this process? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I think that's more than enough shadowing hours, and probably just enough clinical volunteering. Might be helpful to get some non-clinical volunteering as well. With good stats, I don't think applying next year will be an issue for you.

But maybe some others on here can give you more detailed advice.

so to begin, I do not want to take a gap year. am firmly against the idea if I do not have to.

in terms of research/EC's I believe I am a pretty strong applicant with 3.9+/hopefully will receive a good MCAT score, taking in Jan.

1) I am a little worried about physician shadowing and clinical experience. I have around 150 shadowing hours and should have 150-200 clinical volunteer hours by the time I apply. Is this enough for clinical stuff?
2) I have been reading some articles online that adcoms care much more about clinical experience than other things like research. How true is that based on people's experiences with admissions?
1) Yes, as long as you included a primary care doc on your list of specialties.

2) Clinical experience, both passive and active, are critical to broadening one's appeal to the maximum number of schools. Nonmedical community service is becoming increasingly obligatory (ideally you'd volunteer to help those most in need in our society, with an organization you care about). Research is nice to have but not required except at the most-selective research-oriented schools. Leadership and teaching experiences also strengthen an application.

Reactions: 1 users