Gap Year Pros & Cons

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mdhopeful77

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am trying to plan out all of my couses for the next two years of undergrad and am debating whether or not I should take a gap year. If I do not take a gap year, I will have to take a few summer courses and prep for the MCAT during the semester so that I will be able to take it on time for applications. A gap year would allow me more time to take these courses and prep, but I have frequently heard that gap years are risky as you might "take your foot off the gas" so to speak.

Is taking a gap year something that people normally plan in advance, or is it something that kind of happens more naturally? What are some pros/cons to taking a gap year vs matriculating to medical school directly from undergrad?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated! I am the type of person who needs to plan ahead, so not knowing my full timeline of med school applications has been stressing me out a bit.

Members don't see this ad.

I took a gap year and it was planned a few years in advance. Its been awesome, I'm in it right now.

Cons:
Starting medical school 1 year later

Pros:
Not having to work interview schedules into your school schedule
Being able to have a break
Getting to enjoy part of your 20s not strictly on the weekends; think bucket lists to complete
Plenty of time to do ECs (I did AmeriCorps over the summer and work as an EMT now, and it has come up at interviews)
Did I mention being able to relax as opposed to staying in the school grind?

Financially, this was a bad call because its one less year of physician salary, personally, I've found so much time that I'd lost during undergraduate to connect with those who I care about and do things that I couldn't do during school that I believe have been very fulfilling. highly recommend

Reactions: 3 users
How have adcoms seemed to react to your decision? Has it been brought up in interviews? And if so, was it largely seen as a positive contribution to your application?

Members don't see this ad :)
I personally think it might actually help. None of them have asked me why I'm taking a year off, but instead, its mostly been asked as what have you been doing since you graduated? In which I can tell them about my time doing ECs that I couldn't have been doing during my time as an undergrad due to time constraints. I was hesitant at first, but have found that a gap year was a huge opportunity to do things that I've always wanted to do but never had the time to. Its been really great

You taking your foot off the gas is up to you. A gap year(s) is what you make it whatever you need it for. Some people need it to prove themselves and some people just want a break. I know people in the 3.0 range that have taken gap years and people in 4.0s and 520s that have taken gap years.

I think recent data has shown a lot more people coming in with gap years versus traditional students coming straight out of 4 year institutions. If you're worried it'll be looked down upon, it usually isn't. The usually is if you do nothing productive with your time off. I think it's perfectly fine to travel in your gap year if you are a good applicant to begin with.

I just interviewed at a top 20 school, and >70% of the students were in the middle of a gap year (myself included). This is has definitely become more prevalent in recent years.

For me it was never about “taking my foot off the gas.” Taking a gap year allowed me to focus entirely on school during undergrad, then MCAT/applications/full-time healthcare-related work. The pros that I’ve seen so far are that is allows a more well-rounded application in regard to stats and experiences, and employers tend to be more flexible than professors with taking time off. I have met several people who are interviewing with a test that week... I don’t envy them.

Reactions: 1 users
Can’t recommend a gap year enough. I personally would have struggled without the gap year, it gave me an opportunity to have a break from the classroom and a chance to save up money. I worked at my local hospital as a patient care tech on a critical care unit and learned so much! As long as you’re doing something that’s still propelling you forward in the direction you want to go, definitely plan to take a year off!

I decided on a gap year and I don't regret it at all! I know some people used it to travel and such, but not so much for me. I planned on using it to further my prep for med school. However, it was definitely less stressful than undergrad which freed up a lot of time to focus on my application and MCAT.

I was on track to go straight through to an MD program after undergrad, but then decided last second to take a year and reevaluate where I stood and what I wanted. I ended up doing decently on the MCAT and got great grades my senior year, enhancing my application. I also had the opportunity to fully immerse in a research position, and decided to follow my passion to an MSTP. I'm living in an apartment with some of my best friends and am enjoying fun social opportunities which I didn't get to while I was in college. I could not recommend taking one enough, I think it helps both your application and your life outside of academics.