Quantcast

Gap year? Special Masters or post Bacc?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Premedprincess00

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
So, I am considering taking a gap year after graduation. I am currently a neuroscience major at Baylor. I have a fairly good gpa (3.7), however I feel like I need to focus on more research and volunteering to make myself a competitive candidate . My fiance will be getting out of the military around the same time I will be graduating and I did not want to jump right into medical school during the transition and process of us finding a place to stay and settling down. So I thought maybe taking a gap year, getting into a post bacc or special masters program would be good, while also strengthening my extra curricular . Any Advice? Thank you in advance

GrapesofRath

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
You have nothing to gain and everything to lose doing an SMP with a 3.7.

Get a job, travel, do something youll never get a chance to later in life, all of those are incredibly superior options to doing an SMP.

Reactions: 1 users

thatwouldbeanarchy

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is 3.7 your sGPA? If so, I don't think you need a postbac or an SMP. Find a job (clinical or non), if you need money and work on your EC's! (And also, enjoy the time off before med school!)

Reactions: 1 user

JustAPhD

Not a hummingbird expert
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I am considering taking a gap year after graduation. I am currently a neuroscience major at Baylor. I have a fairly good gpa (3.7), however I feel like I need to focus on more research and volunteering to make myself a competitive candidate . My fiance will be getting out of the military around the same time I will be graduating and I did not want to jump right into medical school during the transition and process of us finding a place to stay and settling down. So I thought maybe taking a gap year, getting into a post bacc or special masters program would be good, while also strengthening my extra curricular . Any Advice? Thank you in advance

Why not look for a year-long research job then? You're right, your GPA is fine you don't need a SMP/post-bacc.

Reactions: 1 users

Premedprincess00

Reaction score
You are all giving some great points! It would be a lot wiser to just focus on working and doing things that I would not be able to do once I start Med School. My number one goal is to strengthen the components of my application that I believe is weak. Therefore that should be my main focus.

Optimus-Prime

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Get a cush research job in a specialty you like at the TMC, then get ready to smash the MCAT