Gay Pre-Med Students - UNITE!

Started by iambatman
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What does it mean to be supportive to the LGBT community?

It can mean anything. We're not expecting you to be on top of a gay float on pride to show that you're supportive lol.

Just getting the words out and see us in your eyes that we are human too and we shouldn't be judge because of our lifestyle.

Just have an open heart and open arms 🙂
 
Just getting the words out and see us in your eyes that we are human too and we shouldn't be judge because of our lifestyle.

Just have an open heart and open arms 🙂

So you just want to be treated normally?

Why wouldn't you want an atmosphere where people don't care what sexual orientation you are? (i.e. people treating you the same way they treat normal people).
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm a gay med student and nobody seems to care so far. I'll let you know what happens when my boyfriend comes up here...
 
So you just want to be treated normally?

Why wouldn't you want an atmosphere where people don't care what sexual orientation you are? (i.e. people treating you the same way they treat normal people).

Of course we want that, but how many people are willing GIVE that and look pass it? That's the tough part.
 
So you just want to be treated normally?

Why wouldn't you want an atmosphere where people don't care what sexual orientation you are? (i.e. people treating you the same way they treat normal people).

There are health issues that LGBT people have that maybe heterosexuals don't. Both health disparities and health inequities. They are also largely underserved and definitely underrepresented in health care. If a patient is afraid to reveal their orientation to a health care provider, they may not get optimal health education and treatment.

EDIT: and gay people are just as "normal" as heterosexual. The idea of "deviance" surrounding homosexuality has been condemned by the majority of the medical community.
 
So you just want to be treated normally?

Yes

Why wouldn't you want an atmosphere where people don't care what sexual orientation you are? (i.e. people treating you the same way they treat normal people).

That's exactly what most of us want -- people not caring, which usually implies that there won't be any hostility. That's good enough for me anyway. I consider myself a "normal person" btw.
 
There are health issues that LGBT people have that maybe heterosexuals don't. Both health disparities and health inequities. They are also largely underserved and definitely underrepresented in health care. If a patient is afraid to reveal their orientation to a health care provider, they may not get optimal health education and treatment.

EDIT: and gay people are just as "normal" as heterosexual. The idea of "deviance" surrounding homosexuality has been condemned by the majority of the medical community.

Yes



That's exactly what most of us want -- people not caring, which usually implies that there won't be any hostility. That's good enough for me anyway. I consider myself a "normal person" btw.
👍👍
 
So you just want to be treated normally?

Why wouldn't you want an atmosphere where people don't care what sexual orientation you are? (i.e. people treating you the same way they treat normal people).

Like what was said above, we don't want you dancing on a float or anything. What is being said is that we want an institution where its openly recognized and accepted. Not caring about someones sexuality is fine; basically the same thing. However, ignoring the issue (if this is what you mean) can be just as harmful for some people as bashing it would be. Look at some of the people affected by DADT. It's psychologically taxing to try to act "normal" constantly.
 
Basically, if someone tells you they are gay, and it's more of "ok cool 😀" instead of "alright, time to bring you into the back alley" is a good feeling to know from people in an environment where you'll be for 4 years.

With that said though, I haven't disclosed my sexuality to people in my class, but just kept things neutral. I talk to people about a lot of stuff, but never about my sex life. People do ask if I have a gf, and when I say no, they don't press further. Although I would like to open up more about it, but I feel it would just be awkward...

I did think what you mentioned HumbleMD about the med students LGBT conference seems interesting though. I haven't met any gay med students, so it would be nice to kinda go and check it out, as well as what things they have to discuss, etc.
 
However, ignoring the issue (if this is what you mean) can be just as harmful for some people as bashing it would be.

I think the above quote is immensely inaccurate. I doubt that reflects the beliefs of the majority of homosexuals. I speak from experience...there was a gay kid on my football team in high school and if I was him I would have killed myself.


and by "ignoring the issue" I mean I really don't care who you decided to screw at night or what gender you want to be.
 
I think the above quote is immensely inaccurate. I doubt that reflects the beliefs of the majority of homosexuals. I speak from experience...there was a gay kid on my football team in high school and if I was him I would have killed myself.


and by "ignoring the issue" I mean I really don't care who you decided to screw at night or what gender you want to be.

IF you get into medical school and become a doctor one day, "ignoring the issue" may not be a good approach when working with LGBT patients. As mentioned before, there are health disparities that you must take into consideration...
 
I think the above quote is immensely inaccurate. I doubt that reflects the beliefs of the majority of homosexuals. I speak from experience...there was a gay kid on my football team in high school and if I was him I would have killed myself.


and by "ignoring the issue" I mean I really don't care who you decided to screw at night or what gender you want to be.

How would you know what pretending to be everyone else's version of normal does to someone. This is the thing straight people can never understand. At least when people are making fun of you to your face you can fight back. But when you are constantly checking yourself, examining every detail of your life to keep from betraying this secrete that no one's talking about you really start to hate yourself.
 
IF you get into medical school and become a doctor one day, "ignoring the issue" may not be a good approach when working with LGBT patients. As mentioned before, there are health disparities that you must take into consideration...

👍
 
IF you get into medical school and become a doctor one day, "ignoring the issue" may not be a good approach when working with LGBT patients. As mentioned before, there are health disparities that you must take into consideration...

I'm not talking about when someone is practicing medicine. I was talking about the "supportive community".

Obviously, as a doctor you treat every individual based on their own needs. Most doctors ask about your sexual history/activity. I think it is appropriate to say state your sexuality there...if you don't then the doctor will assume you are in the "norm" (probably because the majority of the world is straight). If you have you own issues about not talking to a doctor about being gay, then that is your problem. Don't blame physicians for not treating you when you never stated your sexuality. Physicians are smart/well educated, but they are not mind readers.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How would you know what pretending to be everyone else's version of normal does to someone. This is the thing straight people can never understand. At least when people are making fun of you to your face you can fight back. But when you are constantly checking yourself, examining every detail of your life to keep from betraying this secrete that no one's talking about you really start to hate yourself.

I remember being in the 6th grade wishing I was straight.
Looking back on it, what a stupid wish.

I wish that one day young LGBT youth will be able to be comfortable in their skin and love themselves, without having to hide because hiding prevents the feeling of self worth and satisfaction. They are not wrong for feeling this way.
 
I'm not talking about when someone is practicing medicine. I was talking about the "supportive community".

Obviously, as a doctor you treat every individual based on their own needs. Most doctors ask about your sexual history/activity. I think it is appropriate to say state your sexuality there...if you don't then the doctor will assume you are in the "norm" (probably because the majority of the world is straight). If you have you own issues about not talking to a doctor about being gay, then that is your problem. Don't blame physicians for not treating you when you never stated your sexuality. Physicians are smart/well educated, but they are not mind readers.

I really dislike the word "norm".
 
How would you know what pretending to be everyone else's version of normal does to someone. This is the thing straight people can never understand. At least when people are making fun of you to your face you can fight back. But when you are constantly checking yourself, examining every detail of your life to keep from betraying this secrete that no one's talking about you really start to hate yourself.

First, I can make the argument that everyone is "pretending" to be normal/something they are not (whether straight, gay, white, latino...).

This isn't the 70's... most people don't care if you are a "normal" gay person. If you are a flamboyant gay person then I see how that could hurt you in many aspects. From reading your posts, most of you are just regular people that just happend to like people from the same sex. That is good for you. I will treat you no better or no worse than straight people.
 
I really dislike the word "norm".


Norm (social)- expected patterns of behaviour and belief, often studied in sociology, social psychology, and a myriad of other academic fields.

The "norm" or what is expected in US society is that a person walking down the street is straight. This is seen in the percentage of the US population that is straight.
 
Norm (social)- expected patterns of behaviour and belief, often studied in sociology, social psychology, and a myriad of other academic fields.

The "norm" or what is expected in US society is that a person walking down the street is straight. This is seen in the percentage of the US population that is straight.

Thanks Sherlock, I really needed the definition 🙄

At this day and age, can you really say anything is "norm" anymore? As far as I see it, our society as a whole is BREAKING the norms.
Back in the day people don't divorce, now the divorce rate for 1st marriage is probably 50%.

What I'm trying to get at is people are changing, evolution is taking place. We should not use one cookie-cutter to say this is the norm for human behaviors.
 
umm, im not into guys..and you guys shouldnt be either. just sayyin

That was a little rude.

I'm not gay and I am not "pro-gay". But, I really don't care is someone is gay, I don't think society should care either, and I certainly think laws are ONLY meant to ensure that social contract is not harmed (beccaria).
 
First, I can make the argument that everyone is "pretending" to be normal/something they are not (whether straight, gay, white, latino...).

This isn't the 70's... most people don't care if you are a "normal" gay person. If you are a flamboyant gay person then I see how that could hurt you in many aspects. From reading your posts, most of you are just regular people that just happend to like people from the same sex. That is good for you. I will treat you no better or no worse than straight people.

Not sure where you are going with this.

We were never asking for special treatment. Just to be treated, legally and socially, like everyone else, in a society where being gay doesn't make kids want to kill themselves. This isn't the world we live in though. Gay people are killed for being who they are, kids take their own lives because they are bullied or can't admit what they are.

And there is a difference between pretending to be someone else and covering up something that's innate. If you don't think it is such a big deal, for the next 5 or 6 years you should try pretending to be gay. You don't need to do anything with guys, just no girls and you can't ever talk about/act like/do straight things.
 
That was a little rude.

I'm not gay and I am not "pro-gay". But, I really don't care is someone is gay, I don't think society should care either, and I certainly think laws are ONLY meant to ensure that social contract is not harmed (beccaria).

so if you are neither pro-gay or anti-gay that makes you just gay right?

And some of the laws you are talking about are discriminatory against gays.
 
Thanks Sherlock, I really needed the definition 🙄

At this day and age, can you really say anything is "norm" anymore? As far as I see it, our society as a whole is BREAKING the norms.
Back in the day people don't divorce, now the divorce rate for 1st marriage is probably 50%.

What I'm trying to get at is people are changing, evolution is taking place. We should not use one cookie-cutter to say this is the norm for human behaviors.

LOL. Great job of choosing marriage as your example. Having a successful marriage is NOT the norm anymore because the divorce rate is high.

Being straight is the norm whether you like it or not. It is a fact! The gay population is estimated at 4 million...the population of the US is 312,082,507.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/04/07/gay-population-us-estimate_n_846348.html
http://www.census.gov/population/www/popclockus.html
 
so if you are neither pro-gay or anti-gay that makes you just gay right?
I think it's a choice determined by social and physiological factors.
And some of the laws you are talking about are discriminatory against gays.

This is what I mean by laws:
"Beccaria expresses not only the need for the criminal justice system, but also the government's right to have laws and punishments. He believed in the social contract, or the idea that freewill and rational individuals made a choice to live in a society instead of living alone. When one chooses to live in a society, then one chooses to give up some personal liberties in exchange for the safety and comfort of a society. Laws are designed as the framework of the society and the rules for which acts are encouraged or prohibited. Laws are the conditions of a society of freewilled and rational individuals. There is a need to have some system set up in order to ensure that the individuals in the society are protected against any individual or groups that want to take back the personal liberties forfeited in the social contract and those who want to also harm the personal liberties of others in the society."
 
LOL. Great job of choosing marriage as your example. Having a successful marriage is NOT the norm anymore because the divorce rate is high.

Being straight is the norm whether you like it or not. It is a fact! The gay population is estimated at 4 million...the population of the US is 312,082,507.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/04/07/gay-population-us-estimate_n_846348.html
http://www.census.gov/population/www/popclockus.html

The main idea I'm trying to get at is, things change. What used to be, maybe NOT be in the future.
 
I think it's a choice.


This is what I mean by laws:
"Beccaria expresses not only the need for the criminal justice system, but also the government's right to have laws and punishments. He believed in the social contract, or the idea that freewill and rational individuals made a choice to live in a society instead of living alone. When one chooses to live in a society, then one chooses to give up some personal liberties in exchange for the safety and comfort of a society. Laws are designed as the framework of the society and the rules for which acts are encouraged or prohibited. Laws are the conditions of a society of freewilled and rational individuals. There is a need to have some system set up in order to ensure that the individuals in the society are protected against any individual or groups that want to take back the personal liberties forfeited in the social contract and those who want to also harm the personal liberties of others in the society."

If I understand correctly, your saying (or this law is saying) in order to join society (straight) LGBT must give up something, meaning, their sexual orientation and convert to being straight if they want security and acceptance or else they will be punish?
If this is correct, wouldn't that go against basic rights and being treated as equal? kinda an oxymoron rule if you ask me.
 
The main idea I'm trying to get at is, things change. What used to be, maybe NOT be in the future.

I doubt that. Most gay people believe that being gay is genetic. Using that reasoning, the "gay gene" will die out eventually. More gays are coming out of the closet than ever before and are getting married or forming civil unions. Last I heard, two people from the same sex can't have offspring= decline in the "gay gene".

Anyways, I was just wondering what LGTB supportive community was.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If I understand correctly, your saying (or this law is saying) in order to join society (straight) LGBT must give up something, meaning, their sexual orientation and convert to being straight if they want security and acceptance or else they will be punish?
If this is correct, wouldn't that go against basic rights and being treated as equal? kinda an oxymoron rule if you ask me.

Well he does think being gay is a choice. And that is where this argument breaks down.
 
If I understand correctly, your saying (or this law is saying) in order to join society (straight) LGBT must give up something, meaning, their sexual orientation and convert to being straight if they want security and acceptance or else they will be punish?
If this is correct, wouldn't that go against basic rights and being treated as equal? kinda an oxymoron rule if you ask me.

No, I think you are wrong. That quote was from an article explaining what Cesare Beccaria said in "On Crimes and Punishments".

It's a Saturday night...I don't have time to explain this. Here is the exact quote from "On Crimes and Punishments":

Laws are the conditions under which men, naturally independent, united

themselves in society. Weary of living in a continual state of war, and of

enjoying a liberty which became of little value, from the uncertainty of its

duration, they sacrificed one part of it, to enjoy the rest in peace and

security. The sum of all these portions of the liberty of each individual

constituted the sovereignty of a nation and was deposited in the hands of

the sovereign, as the lawful administrator. But it was not sufficient only

to establish this deposit; it was also necessary to defend it from the

usurpation of each individual, who will always endeavour to take away from

the mass, not only his own portion, but to encroach on that of others. Some

motives therefore, that strike the senses were necessary to prevent the

despotism of each individual from plunging society into its former chaos.

Such motives are the punishments established, against the infractors of the

laws. I say that motives of this kind are necessary; because experience

shows, that the multitude adopt no established principle of conduct; and

because society is prevented from approaching to that dissolution, (to

which, as well as all other parts of the physical and moral world, it

naturally tends,) only by motives that are the immediate objects of sense,

and which being continually presented to the mind, are sufficient to

counterbalance the effects of the passions of the individual which oppose

the general good. Neither the power of eloquence nor the sublimest truths

are sufficient to restrain, for any length of time, those passions which are

excited by the lively impressions of present objects.
 
I think it's a choice determined by social and physiological factors.


This is what I mean by laws:
"Beccaria expresses not only the need for the criminal justice system, but also the government’s right to have laws and punishments. He believed in the social contract, or the idea that freewill and rational individuals made a choice to live in a society instead of living alone. When one chooses to live in a society, then one chooses to give up some personal liberties in exchange for the safety and comfort of a society. Laws are designed as the framework of the society and the rules for which acts are encouraged or prohibited. Laws are the conditions of a society of freewilled and rational individuals. There is a need to have some system set up in order to ensure that the individuals in the society are protected against any individual or groups that want to take back the personal liberties forfeited in the social contract and those who want to also harm the personal liberties of others in the society."

We never choose to live in a heterosexually dominated society. This model implies that if you are unhappy with society you can leave, which, today, is impossible. Also I am curious as to why you think gays should give up more civil liberties than straight people, for less protection.

The laws you speak of set up to protect us are largely ignored btw. Many hate crimes are ignored by the police.
 
I don't understand why people are coming into this thread to argue. Why not just ignore it?

Macsta -- I don't think most gay people believe homosexuality is completely genetic, as in there is a heritable "gay gene." Current theories point to prenatal hormone exposure and epigenetics.

At any rate homosexuality is absolutely not a choice -- unless you're a straight person choosing to go against your sexuality, and to argue otherwise only exposes your ignorance.
 
I doubt that. Most gay people believe that being gay is genetic. Using that reasoning, the "gay gene" will die out eventually. More gays are coming out of the closet than ever before and are getting married or forming civil unions. Last I heard, two people from the same sex can't have offspring= decline in the "gay gene".

Anyways, I was just wondering what LGTB supportive community was.

A supportive community is one where individuals don't force their opinions on others. You have decided being gay is a choice; great for you. Don't expect anyone to agree with you, and more importantly don't then judge gays based upon your belief.

Supportive is a community where a guy kissing a guy in the hallway has the same impact as me kissing my wife in the hallway; nothing.

Supportive is a community where our LGBT classmates don't have to wonder what the response will be if they disclose their orientation.

Supportive is a community where college kids don't hang themselves because they are made to feel not NORMAL and thus guilty.

Might I recommend: www.itgetsbetter.org
 
In about 20 or 30 years if we all get together we could start our own med school and only accept gays.
 
I've noticed how it's only ever straight people who think being gay is a choice.

These people are prime examples of how a little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing, and their "logic" about "gay genes" is amusing. A genetic basis for sexuality != gay gene. Sexuality is probably a mix of a multitude of developmental genes and environmental chemical influences. But imagine if it were as simple as a gene for slightly higher levels of female hormones during embryonic development, i.e. a gene females could carry and pass on to their children extra successfully but that would cause a small portion of developing brains to imprint with female arousal patterns if carried by males. It doesn't seem like that gene would naturally die out, now does it?

FYI, some pregnant rabbits dosed with one of the main pesticides used in the USA had ~18 male sons, ~1/2 of which preferred to mount a male dummy instead of a female dummy and ~1/4 of which were impotent when they mounted the female dummy. The same pesticide causes male frogs to grow ovaries instead of testicles. Hormonal and developmental genes aside, you can't just discount environmental chemicals that developing humans are exposed to daily and then use ultra-simplistic so-called "logic" about gay genes and choices. There is an avalanche of man-made chemicals and pesticides that act like hormones that every human nowadays is assaulted with on a daily basis. Either way, straight people talking about choices is just laughable...
 
I've noticed how it's only ever straight people who think being gay is a choice.

These people are prime examples of how a little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing, and their "logic" about "gay genes" is amusing. A genetic basis for sexuality != gay gene. Sexuality is probably a mix of a multitude of developmental genes and environmental chemical influences. But imagine if it were as simple as a gene for slightly higher levels of female hormones during embryonic development, i.e. a gene females could carry and pass on to their children extra successfully but that would cause a small portion of developing brains to imprint with female arousal patterns if carried by males. It doesn't seem like that gene would naturally die out, now does it?

FYI, some pregnant rabbits dosed with one of the main pesticides used in the USA had ~18 male sons, ~1/2 of which preferred to mount a male dummy instead of a female dummy and ~1/4 of which were impotent when they mounted the female dummy. The same pesticide causes male frogs to grow ovaries instead of testicles. Hormonal and developmental genes aside, you can't just discount environmental chemicals that developing humans are exposed to daily and then use ultra-simplistic so-called "logic" about gay genes and choices. There is an avalanche of man-made chemicals and pesticides that act like hormones that every human nowadays is assaulted with on a daily basis. Either way, straight people talking about choices is just laughable...

The ex-gays don't help the cause either.
 
A supportive community is one where individuals don't force their opinions on others. You have decided being gay is a choice; great for you. Don't expect anyone to agree with you, and more importantly don't then judge gays based upon your belief.

Supportive is a community where a guy kissing a guy in the hallway has the same impact as me kissing my wife in the hallway; nothing.

Supportive is a community where our LGBT classmates don't have to wonder what the response will be if they disclose their orientation.

Supportive is a community where college kids don't hang themselves because they are made to feel not NORMAL and thus guilty.

Might I recommend: www.itgetsbetter.org

👍
I agree. To be supportive is to stop the stereotyping and get to know us for who we are.
In about 20 or 30 years if we all get together we could start our own med school and only accept gays.
HAHA than everybody is gonna be gay 🙄
But I do like that idea 😀
Than maybe the population census will grow from 4 mil to 20 mil or more!

I've noticed how it's only ever straight people who think being gay is a choice.

These people are prime examples of how a little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing, and their "logic" about "gay genes" is amusing. A genetic basis for sexuality != gay gene. Sexuality is probably a mix of a multitude of developmental genes and environmental chemical influences. But imagine if it were as simple as a gene for slightly higher levels of female hormones during embryonic development, i.e. a gene females could carry and pass on to their children extra successfully but that would cause a small portion of developing brains to imprint with female arousal patterns if carried by males. It doesn't seem like that gene would naturally die out, now does it?

FYI, some pregnant rabbits dosed with one of the main pesticides used in the USA had ~18 male sons, ~1/2 of which preferred to mount a male dummy instead of a female dummy and ~1/4 of which were impotent when they mounted the female dummy. The same pesticide causes male frogs to grow ovaries instead of testicles. Hormonal and developmental genes aside, you can't just discount environmental chemicals that developing humans are exposed to daily and then use ultra-simplistic so-called "logic" about gay genes and choices. There is an avalanche of man-made chemicals and pesticides that act like hormones that every human nowadays is assaulted with on a daily basis. Either way, straight people talking about choices is just laughable...
👍
 
I've noticed how it's only ever straight people who think being gay is a choice.

These people are prime examples of how a little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing, and their "logic" about "gay genes" is amusing. A genetic basis for sexuality != gay gene. Sexuality is probably a mix of a multitude of developmental genes and environmental chemical influences. But imagine if it were as simple as a gene for slightly higher levels of female hormones during embryonic development, i.e. a gene females could carry and pass on to their children extra successfully but that would cause a small portion of developing brains to imprint with female arousal patterns if carried by males. It doesn't seem like that gene would naturally die out, now does it?

FYI, some pregnant rabbits dosed with one of the main pesticides used in the USA had ~18 male sons, ~1/2 of which preferred to mount a male dummy instead of a female dummy and ~1/4 of which were impotent when they mounted the female dummy. The same pesticide causes male frogs to grow ovaries instead of testicles. Hormonal and developmental genes aside, you can't just discount environmental chemicals that developing humans are exposed to daily and then use ultra-simplistic so-called "logic" about gay genes and choices. There is an avalanche of man-made chemicals and pesticides that act like hormones that every human nowadays is assaulted with on a daily basis. Either way, straight people talking about choices is just laughable...

👍
 
Finally, homophobia, like racism, is just not acceptable in modern medicine. Checkout the AMA website for their stances on different issues (including gay marriage). And heed my words you will have lesbian, gay, and bisexual patients, and you will be expected to serve them with the same compassionate care you give all of your patients.

Lol what? I don't mind gay people - I actually think a lot of them are cool, funny, nice people. I even have a few gay friends that I play volleyball with.

But yes, I do not agree with their sexual preferences. I just don't think its "right". And bringing up your sexual choices, and relating it to premed/medical school, is just beyond me. It almost feels like that the only reason this thread was made was so some of you can make gay relations with each other. Why bring it up? Your in medical school - a med student, just like everybody else. There is no need to differentiate yourselves even more. Just fit in (its easy, don't wear short-shorts and/or walk like a ditz), do your studies, and deal with your sexuality with people outside class.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Lmao. This has got to be the biggest crap I have ever heard. Brb injecting female hormones into male frogs and watching them hump each other. :laugh:

no one had to inject anything. the frogs were found out in nature with eggs in their seminal vesicles due to the huge amount of atrazine that has polluted the entire country and the findings were published, but you and the rest of the ignorati will stick to your views no matter what the science shows 🙄 brb pwning more bigots and idiots
 
👍

I agree. To be supportive is to stop the stereotyping and get to know us for who we are.


Pretty much this.

If I didn't really want to learn more about people and deal with them, I would've stayed in the lab.
 
This thread has become offensive. Equating gay people with rapists, pedophiles, etc. is just wrong.

We are trying to frighten them away with scientific innuendo. Kind of like the spirit dance the Indians did at wounded knee.