GEMS Georgetown 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Dear Prospective GEM Students:
I recently received an IRTA position at the NIH for the 2009-2010 academic year. I am fervently looking for a roomate/s and an apartment. Since we all need to be in the same area, this thread is a perfect place to find roomates. I am currently purusing Craig's List and due to the high prices, it is not practical to buy alone. Sooo, Please PM if you are interested in splitting an apartment or house. Goodluck to all 🙂

Big Hugs,
G.S.W.
 
Dear Prospective GEM Students:
I recently received an IRTA position at the NIH for the 2009-2010 academic year. I am fervently looking for a roomate/s and an apartment. Since we all need to be in the same area, this thread is a perfect place to find roomates. I am currently purusing Craig's List and due to the high prices, it is not practical to buy alone. Sooo, Please PM if you are interested in splitting an apartment or house. Goodluck to all 🙂

Big Hugs,
G.S.W.

What have you found so far?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Good Old NYC. Well, at least you are in the same time zone as DC. If GEMS Admission Committee do call us today, you will find out before me.

🙂:luck::xf::luck::xf:
 
That's if GEMS calls me, which tears me up just thinking about it. I just found a USB cord, and just finished charging my phone. I am ready, and hoping that we get that call.
 
That's if GEMS calls me, which tears me up just thinking about it. I just found a USB cord, and just finished charging my phone. I am ready, and hoping that we get that call.


I truly hope GEMS will call us. I wrote Mr. Taylor that email because I live in a basement where reception is next to nothing and my research lab do not give me any cell phone reception either.

If they notify us by mail, then I have to drive over an hour just to check it. I hope for this chance so much and I know all of us at the interview do as well.

That is why I said a prayer for all and wish all the best.

:luck::xf::luck::xf:
 
I truly hope GEMS will call us. I wrote Mr. Taylor that email because I live in a basement where reception is next to nothing and my research lab do not give me any cell phone reception either.

If they notify us by mail, then I have to drive over an hour just to check it. I hope for this chance so much and I know all of us at the interview do as well.

That is why I said a prayer for all and wish all the best.

:luck::xf::luck::xf:

I will pray also.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I work campus security during the night for the remainder of the week, as I'm no longer a student. In the mornings, I work with 7th to 12th graders in a science convention until next week when it's over.


Wow, you and I live fairly similar lives. I did exactly what you did when I was an undergraduate student. Except I didn't work with 7th to 12th graders.

I actually had the opportunity to teach 7th and 8th graders last quarter and that was a whole lot of fun. I taught them the importance of scientific techniques and actually took them on several outings to sample and collect specimens. They love culturing microbes and you know, they were so motivated and extremely smart.
 
Wow, you and I live fairly similar lives. I did exactly what you did when I was an undergraduate student. Except I didn't work with 7th to 12th graders.

I actually had the opportunity to teach 7th and 8th graders last quarter and that was a whole lot of fun. I taught them the importance of scientific techniques and actually took them on several outings to sample and collect specimens. They love culturing microbes and you know, they were so motivated and extremely smart.

Cool, cool. Yeah, these kids are an extremely bright bunch as well.
 
Maybe they are maybe they're not. Either way, I am hitting the F5 button like there is no tomorrow. Cell phone reception for me is non-existent and so SDN will have to do.

Good Luck All!!!!

:luck::luck::luck::xf::xf::xf::luck::xf::luck::xf:
 
can anyone who is able to call out of state call and ask the office?


The GEMS website said no emails or calls on the status will be answered. The website has not updated any information since April 13, 2009.

If it will help you rest easier, I had sent an email over the weekend asking if GEMS can give applicants to the 2009 GEMS Program any details on how the notification will be delivered to us.

I hope GEMS will respond since the email was not inquiring about any admission/rejection status, but on the method of notification for this year. Other than that, we should just be patient, stay positive and see what happens from now on. 🙂:luck::xf:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Good Luck everyone!!! Today has to be the day:xf:

My fingers are shaking as Im typing this......:laugh:

I can relate to that feeling. The thought of it makes me tremble a whole lot and when I try not to think about it, I become a bit uneasy.

I got to say, I am thankful for the mutual support here on this SDN Forum.

As always, good luck! :xf::luck::xf::luck:
 
When I got the call for an interview it was around 2:30 in the afternoon. so maybe they will take a little longer than expected, that way they can call everyone in every time zone so that we can all post at the same time 😀
 
Yeah, im hopeing thats the case. When I got the call for my interview, it was around 830am and I believe Mrs. Williams said im sorry for calling you so early. lol

When I got the call for an interview it was around 2:30 in the afternoon. so maybe they will take a little longer than expected, that way they can call everyone in every time zone so that we can all post at the same time 😀
 
When I got the call for an interview it was around 2:30 in the afternoon. so maybe they will take a little longer than expected, that way they can call everyone in every time zone so that we can all post at the same time 😀

I was thinking along those lines too. I got the interview call sometime after 4pm. This will be a very interesting day.
 
were most interview invites all made on the same day?

they were made over a period of two days, but that was so that they could speak to 40+ people. this time there are fewer people to call so they may be able to do it in one day. i just know i am anxious to get the call, i hope they see me as a good fit for the program!!:xf::xf::xf:
 
were most interview invites all made on the same day?

Yes, it appears so.

Also, we can eliminate traffic as a reason for the "delay" because it is normal in the DC area. I highly doubt they will just be sending letters. The call is coming and, like FLow and Tachy said, the next reasonable time frame is the interview call timeframe, 3-4PM.
 
Thank you for your interest in the Georgetown Experimental Medical Studies (GEMS) Program. The admissions cycle for the 2009-2010 GEMS program is closed to new applications.

The GEMS Admissions Committee has finished its review of 210 complete applications. Invitations to interview on April 21 and May 4, 2009 were extended to a total of 49 men and women. The 2009-2010 GEMS Class will be selected from this group of students.

All interviewees will be notified of their final admissions status on or before May 30, 2009 utilizing contact information provided on the GEMS application.

Telephone or email inquiries regarding final admissions status should not be made to the GEMS Staff until after May 30, 2009.

Applications for the 2010-2011 GEMS program will be available beginning February 15, 2010.

Updated May 18, 2009 9:00 am
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thank you for your interest in the Georgetown Experimental Medical Studies (GEMS) Program. The admissions cycle for the 2009-2010 GEMS program is closed to new applications.

The GEMS Admissions Committee has finished its review of 210 complete applications. Invitations to interview on April 21 and May 4, 2009 were extended to a total of 49 men and women. The 2009-2010 GEMS Class will be selected from this group of students.

All interviewees will be notified of their final admissions status on or before May 30, 2009 utilizing contact information provided on the GEMS application.

Telephone or email inquiries regarding final admissions status should not be made to the GEMS Staff until after May 30, 2009.

Applications for the 2010-2011 GEMS program will be available beginning February 15, 2010.

Updated May 18, 2009 9:00 am

49, wow.

Well, what do you guys think? You think all seats have been determined already? I think so and I still think that call may be coming today at around 2-4PM.
 
49, wow.

Well, what do you guys think? You think all seats have been determined already? I think so and I still think that call may be coming today at around 2-4PM.


Not sure. Your guess is as good as mine.

I am simply going to wait patiently and diligently while praying for good news. It is too nerve racking to think of the "what if's" or to wonder if the GEMS Admission Committee have filled all the seats yet.

Good Luck everyone once again!

:luck::xf::luck::xf:
 
i wish they would have said if they will be calling and/or mailing out notifications, but it is good that they updated the website.

Wow, 210 completed applications!
 
49, wow.

Well, what do you guys think? You think all seats have been determined already? I think so and I still think that call may be coming today at around 2-4PM.

My guess is that they have already determined acceptance/rejections. I could be completely wrong, but I am thinking they might only be notifying by mail since the one person who posted only received the letter. I guess if he/she does not receive a call today or tomorrow it might be safe to think that they will not be calling, and just mailing applicants?? :luck::xf:
 
My guess is that they have already determined acceptance/rejections. I could be completely wrong, but I am thinking they might only be notifying by mail since the one person who posted only received the letter. I guess if he/she does not receive a call today or tomorrow it might be safe to think that they will not be calling, and just mailing applicants?? :luck::xf:

True Esc. that is very reaosnable. I like the rationale.

Now, if they got 210 apps, is it reasonable to say they will have another huge class this year. Cause the year they had 187 apps, they had 37 students matriculate. So this year they had 12% more applicants than that big year so maybe the class will be 12% bigger at 40-41? Just a thought.