Gen bio at a CC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
M

mokhoras

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
What knowledge I have regarding questions such as this one is based upon my conversations with several pre-medical advisors...

All of the pre-med advisors who I have spoken to have emphasised to me the importance of NOT taking any pre-medical courses (be it bio or o-chem, whatever) at a community college for the very reason that you mentioned-that it hurts your chances as such courses aren't necessarily comparable, difficulty-wise, as those offered at private or state schools . If you can find a nearby state institution where you can take bio, I would recommend that instead.

Best of luck to you. :)

What knowledge I have regarding questions such as this one is based upon my conversations with several pre-medical advisors...

All of the pre-med advisors who I have spoken to have emphasised to me the importance of NOT taking any pre-medical courses (be it bio or o-chem, whatever) at a community college for the very reason that you mentioned-that it hurts your chances as such courses aren't necessarily comparable, difficulty-wise, as those offered at private or state schools . If you can find a nearby state institution where you can take bio, I would recommend that instead.

Best of luck to you. :)

Not necessarily so, one general bio course at a CC isn't going to be a major issue in the grand scheme of things.

If he took the large majority of his prereqs at the CC level, I'd understand where you're coming from. If he's acing his courses in grad school, what major difference would it make anyways?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm going into my junior year and this summer I'm currently doing a Research Fellowship at my state's medical school.

At the beginning of the program we had an open Q and A with the dean of admissions. This is what he told me regarding your situation;

"If you have AP credit in a prereq, just take an upper level course in that same field. For example; if you have gen bio credit, just take a genetics or biochem course and that will cover the prereq." On a side note I actually believe this policy is Harvard's policy as well regarding AP credit.

He also firmly said "Do not take any prereq courses at a CC".

If you do well in your second Bio class and your Orgo's, you should be fine.
Don't worry about what people are saying.

If you do well in your second Bio class and your Orgo's, you should be fine.
Don't worry about what people are saying.

haters-4.jpg

You'll be fine, doubly so given your reasons for taking it at the CC.