This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Illstartmydiet2maro

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello everyone.
What would you recommend for someone who is very weak in chemistry. I know Chads is great, but im speaking even more elementary. For example how to break up NaCl-->Na+ + Cl- , and balancing Reactions, and maybe even the nomenclature like how to name nitrATE vs nitrITE and converting the word form the compound form, knowing the charges, etc. In chemistry problems often times the math heavy problems require you to FIRST write out the reaction and balance both sides before even working on the math, and if i cant do that part i cant precede with the problem. chads videos doesnt really go over that beginning part. does this make sense? any advice.

Members don't see this ad.

I recommend this incredible guy!
He is awesome! He has tons of free videos for orgo, gen chem and math.
These links I gave you are specifically for the dat

around 5 hours 2 parts. I think he have a longer version that you need to pay for, but this one is free.

but look here for all his gen chem free videos first

Word of advice you want to increase the speed of the video to 1.25
His voice is so soothing but it's kinda of slow

Disclaimer:

Mike and Chad are great options as well.

By the way

Chad chemistry videos on his other website has all gen chem videoes from start for free.

So you want to look there first. He goes over all the stuff you mentioned.

Last edited:
I took Chem in 2006. I had forgotten 99.9% of Gen chem material by the time I started studying for the DAT.

I started with Khan academy basic chemistry videos. I went through these fast, as they were quite basic. Then I watched Chad's videos very carefully, pausing and re-watching constantly when needed, and this took some time for me. It was like solidifying the basics. By the time you're done with Chad's, I think you'd feel a bit more confident on the topic. Do the Chad questions too.

Then I moved onto Sterling chem simply for solving questions. It has the questions separated by topics of gen chem. For most, this is probably unnecessary, but since I was away from gen chem for too long, this was a must for me. Memorizing the concepts are fine, but you have to be able to utilize it.

Then DAT Destroyer to improve on more difficult and tricky questions. Then DAT Bootcamp for realistic problems.

I got a 23 on it. Considering that it was my weakest science of the three, I am happy with it.

Reactions: 1 user