George Washington Secondary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was wondering if it's ok to use abbreviations such as GW or GWSOM in the essay rather that wasting space to type all the words out.

Members don't see this ad.

La Morenita said:
I was wondering if it's ok to use abbreviations such as GW or GWSOM in the essay rather that wasting space to type all the words out.
would you expect your doctor to abbreviate the orders to the nurse just becasue he wanted to save paper?? :confused:

La Morenita said:
It's okay if you clarify the abbreviation.

Members don't see this ad :)
DR. EUGENIC said:
would you expect your doctor to abbreviate the orders to the nurse just becasue he wanted to save paper?? :confused:

Doctors and nurses use abbreviations all the time. :confused:

This might be a silly question, but is attaching the picture right now important? It says it's optional at the time, but maybe if it's a nice picture, they'll want to interview me? :confused: :D

musiclink213 said:
This might be a silly question, but is attaching the picture right now important? It says it's optional at the time, but maybe if it's a nice picture, they'll want to interview me? :confused: :D
I didn't. I was feeling lazy, and I wanted to send it off asap and not take the time to find/get the proper size picture.

musiclink213 said:
I think there's a whole thread on the picture topic. :)

tacrum43 said:
Doctors and nurses use abbreviations all the time. :confused:

I know but both sides know exactly what they mean....they have talked and learned the proper notation for quickness, not lazyness like th OP... :sleep:

DR. EUGENIC said:
I know but both sides know exactly what they mean....they have talked and learned the proper notation for quickness, not lazyness like th OP... :sleep:
It's not laziness, there's an 8 line limit to the response. Why waste space writing out George Washington School Of Medicine when I could abbreviate it and use the space for writing something meaningful.
I would hope the adcom knows that their school is sometimes referred to as GW...

La Morenita said:
It's not laziness, there's an 8 line limit to the response. Why waste space writing out George Washington School Of Medicine when I could abbreviate it and use the space for writing something meaningful.
I would hope the adcom knows that their school is sometimes referred to as GW...

You can refer to The George Washington University as GW, NOT GWU (I'm not kidding, its GW policy)
The School of Medicine and Health Sciences as SMHS
GWSOM is not official, although everyone in admissions already knows what it means, so don't freak out about a small detail like that.
Make the secondary paragraph well written, thought out and specifically directed as to why you WANT to go to GW

Good luck

DR. EUGENIC said:

This person was either being sarcastic, or is purposefully giving out bad advice. Don't worry about the quoted response.

freddydpt said:
You can refer to The George Washington University as GW, NOT GWU (I'm not kidding, its GW policy)
The School of Medicine and Health Sciences as SMHS
GWSOM is not official, although everyone in admissions already knows what it means, so don't freak out about a small detail like that.
Make the secondary paragraph well written, thought out and specifically directed as to why you WANT to go to GW

Good luck
Uhm...is it too late to change my GWU's on my submitted application to GW? j/k. I didn't do that.

By the way, your mdapps profile gives me hope :). Congrats.

La Morenita said:

GW is fine. The University trademark office is big on not using "GWU," but the school's website is gwu.edu. I don't think they'll take off points from your application if you put GWU.

Where to be careful? If you write out the name of the school, please don't forget "The" in "The George Washington University." We're quite proud of it.

Addendum: Just make sure you put GW or GWU, and *not* GU!

GWmdwannabe said:
GW is fine. The University trademark office is big on not using "GWU," but the school's website is gwu.edu. I don't think they'll take off points from your application if you put GWU.

Where to be careful? If you write out the name of the school, please don't forget "The" in "The George Washington University." We're quite proud of it.

Addendum: Just make sure you put GW or GWU, and *not* GU!

Oh definitely, putting GU guarantees your application gets chucked... :laugh: