GeorgeSquared Program: George Mason & Georgetown Univ.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

T4llezwayzcute

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Does anyone have any information about this post-bac program or has attended it?

I'm interested in finding out which classes they offer, how effective is the MCAT prep course that they offer and how effective/knowledgeable the advising office is.

I actually have a slew of questions to ask, but I'm not sure if there's a lot information out there on this relatively new program.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Just got an acceptance email to this program. They say it mirrors the Georgetown MS1 classes exactly, just one week behind. Pretty intense!

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got an acceptance email to this program. They say it mirrors the Georgetown MS1 classes exactly, just one week behind. Pretty intense!

I heard the same thing as well. Are you going to attend the program?

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah I just got in too. Looks like an intense program!

Hey all,

Thought I'd pop in with what I know about the program. I'm currently in the Georgetown SMP (about to graduate, thank God), and I applied to be an instructor (not Lecturer) for the George2 ABS/SMP next year (still waiting to hear back about whether or not I got the job).

The SMP: The George2 SMP, in its inaugural year next year, will parallel the Georgetown SMP because the M1 classes you'll get at Mason will be webcasts of the M1 classes at Gtown. Occasionally, the Gtown faculty will go over to Mason to teach classes, but for the most part it's all webcast. The GRAD classes, however, will be entirely designed and taught by Mason faculty. The Mason instructors will be in class with the students to answer questions, run review sessions, etc. Think of the instructors as your TA in college, but for every single class through the year.

The ABS: The George2 ABS Certificate program will be 2 years old next year. The ABS is targeted more for students who aren't quite ready to apply to med school yet, either because they didn't have science background in college, or they're really weak in the sciences, etc. They will do all graduate courses, and also include MCAT prep, run by Princeton Review. Again, you'll have instructors (TAs) to help you through every class for the year, run review sessions, etc.

Yes, both programs are really new, but having gone through all the Gtown med classes this year and having worked with the faculty at Gtown, I can tell you that the teaching quality is pretty darn good. I'm not sure how it'll work by watching webcasts - the experience may differ - but it sounds like a really interesting concept to me, which is why I applied to teach there.

Tentooni22 and Juneilow what are your stats? I am looking to get into this program and I am curious as to what they are accepting since all their requirements seem to be a copy of the georgetown smp webpage.

Hey all,

Thought I'd pop in with what I know about the program. I'm currently in the Georgetown SMP (about to graduate, thank God), and I applied to be an instructor (not Lecturer) for the George2 ABS/SMP next year (still waiting to hear back about whether or not I got the job).

The SMP: The George2 SMP, in its inaugural year next year, will parallel the Georgetown SMP because the M1 classes you'll get at Mason will be webcasts of the M1 classes at Gtown. Occasionally, the Gtown faculty will go over to Mason to teach classes, but for the most part it's all webcast. The GRAD classes, however, will be entirely designed and taught by Mason faculty. The Mason instructors will be in class with the students to answer questions, run review sessions, etc. Think of the instructors as your TA in college, but for every single class through the year.

The ABS: The George2 ABS Certificate program will be 2 years old next year. The ABS is targeted more for students who aren't quite ready to apply to med school yet, either because they didn't have science background in college, or they're really weak in the sciences, etc. They will do all graduate courses, and also include MCAT prep, run by Princeton Review. Again, you'll have instructors (TAs) to help you through every class for the year, run review sessions, etc.

Yes, both programs are really new, but having gone through all the Gtown med classes this year and having worked with the faculty at Gtown, I can tell you that the teaching quality is pretty darn good. I'm not sure how it'll work by watching webcasts - the experience may differ - but it sounds like a really interesting concept to me, which is why I applied to teach there.
Hi, I'm interested in the Georgetown & G2 SMP programs. Do students usually apply to med school the same year while in the SMP (then matriculate to med school the fall after they finish the SMP)?

Yes. Most students apply while in the SMP. You should know that in the Georgetown SMP, historically only about 50% of the students get into med school that year; 85% of the students will get into school within the next year.

Greetings Everyone!

I was privileged to be a part of the inaugural class of the ABS program, and I must say that it was a huge blessing for me! I was not a science major in college, but I was pre-med. So, I felt that in order for me to be succesful in med school I needed this type of program.

Fall semester we took, Biostats, Histology, Biochemistry and Physician & Society. Histoloy is taught by GTown Med professors and Biostats and Biochem are taught by George Mason professors. Awesome courses, but very intense.

Spring semester you take the Fundamentals Physiology (bascially medical physiology) and Human anatomy (where you attend GTown Medschool gross anatomy lab on Saturdays for anatomy review sessions using pre-dissected cadavers once a month).

Classes will be held at the Prince William campus of George Mason University in Manassas, VA. Living is not too bad, if you live in Manassas. It is a quite area, and many may even say rural. However, there are a great deal of stores and the main mall (Manassa Mall). D.C. is about a 35-45 minute drive depending upon traffic.

Overall, this program is awesome and I highly recommend it. It was a lot of work, and definitely you will work at least 2-3X harder than in ugrad to get the higher grades. I would say also to use every possible resource including the TAs. Also, I would say that if you can refrain from working for the year, do it! If not, make sure you have an understanding boss...so,that when exams roll around you'll have the week/weekend before off to complete your studying...especially considering that tuition for the year is ~24,000(at least this year it was, it may be slightly higher). You want to make sure that you do all you can do to ensure that you are successful and have made a wise investment! From this year's class there are (3)MD acceptances; (3)DO acceptances; (2) Dental school acceptances (that I know of); and the rest are going into Master's programs and/or working and applying this June. Total class size was about 45-50.

Best advice: stay on top of the material and take advantage of all the resources! Best to you all in your future endeavors!!!:)

Last edited:
I was accepted to this program as well. I was a bio major, but I felt that I could have done better in my classes and with my MCAT. Is anyone is a similar situation?

I just want to know how effective this certificate program is in getting us to medical school.

I heard the same thing as well. Are you going to attend the program?
Haven't quite decided. I've gotten into like six Master's programs but no med schools, so at this point I've just resigned myself to the not-so-bad fact that I'll be in a Master's next year, and am just deciding on which one.

Tentooni22 and Juneilow what are your stats? I am looking to get into this program and I am curious as to what they are accepting since all their requirements seem to be a copy of the georgetown smp webpage.
3.47 sGPA, 3.68 cGPA, 30Q.

Members don't see this ad :)
So I was complete end of April - sorry not sure when as I didn't receive an oficialy e-mail i just happened to notice it on my application.

Was recently accepted to Georgetown SMP and will be attending this instead.

Stats:
BCPM: 3.59
Total Undergrad: 3.68
MCAT - 29R

So I was complete end of April - sorry not sure when as I didn't receive an oficialy e-mail i just happened to notice it on my application.

Was recently accepted to Georgetown SMP and will be attending this instead.

Stats:
BCPM: 3.59
Total Undergrad: 3.68
MCAT - 29R

Thanks for the information. I got my acceptance today. Still waiting to hear from Georgetown SMP and some others. Anyone definitely attending GeorgeSquared SMP?

Thanks for the information. I got my acceptance today. Still waiting to hear from Georgetown SMP and some others. Anyone definitely attending GeorgeSquared SMP?
I am! Sending my deposit tomorrow!

Btw, does anyone know when the program starts?

Btw, does anyone know when the program starts?

From the G2SMP website:

Orientation for the Class of 2012 is August 11th & 12th, 2011, 10:00 A.M.!
CHECK THE G2SMP12 GOOGLE GROUP!
Classes begin August 15th, 2011.

Looks like we run 1 week behind the Georgetown SMP lecture schedule.

ChanceMD, do you have any idea where you're living?

From the G2SMP website:

Orientation for the Class of 2012 is August 11th & 12th, 2011, 10:00 A.M.!
CHECK THE G2SMP12 GOOGLE GROUP!
Classes begin August 15th, 2011.

Looks like we run 1 week behind the Georgetown SMP lecture schedule.

ChanceMD, do you have any idea where you're living?

Maaan I have no idea! The places they suggested seemed to be okay, but its sooo expensive! I'm from Atlanta and what they are charging is RIDICULOUS, I could get waaay more for my money down here....but then again I have to realize the cost of living is more expensive up north :shrug:

Oh and they emailed me back and said for the ABS program orientation starts August 25th and classes start August 29th!:)

YEAH I just got accepted!!!
time to make arrangements. Anyone looking for a roommate?

I'm doing the SMP and looking for a roommate. If anyone's interested, PM me. Seems like some decent deals are available on 2 BR's in the Manassas area.

Hi all,
I didn't think that anyone was going to respond to the thread! I got accepted into the Advanced Biomedical Sciences (ABS) Program as well, haven't sent my deposit yet so I haven't been added to the list-serve yet. Am I missing any important information? Also, how are people going about for housing?

I'm excited to start in the fall!

Hey all,

Have you heard back?

Hi,

Did anyone get in the program off of the waitlist? I was just wondering. Also, can anyone who did the G2SMP program provide any insight on their experience with the program (pros/cons/would do differently)?

I greatly appreciate it! Thank You.

Hi,

Did anyone get in the program off of the waitlist? I was just wondering. Also, can anyone who did the G2SMP program provide any insight on their experience with the program (pros/cons/would do differently)?

I greatly appreciate it! Thank You.

This is the first year of the G2SMP program, so there are no alumni to comment.

From what I understand, the directors of the program are a bit unsure on how the program will be viewed by medical schools, but seem to predict that performance will be judged similarly to the Georgetown SMP, considering 60% of the coursework is identical.

Regardless, due to the newness of the program, it's tough to outline clear pros and cons.

I withdrew a week ago, so perhaps the waitlist will move.

I am unsure whether to apply to this program with the little time remaining. For AMCAS/degree purposes, where would you officially be a student of, Georgetown or George Mason?

I am unsure whether to apply to this program with the little time remaining. For AMCAS/degree purposes, where would you officially be a student of, Georgetown or George Mason?

On AMCAS, you'd list it as George Mason.

I am very interested in the smp program at George Mason. Could you guys who got in share any insight. How do you like it?

Hi guys,

I'm proud to be a part of the first year of the G2SMP program (the ABS program has been around for a year already). This has been the hardest and most productive year of my life and I'm loving it so far. I'm not sure if I can fit in everything that there is to be said in this post so I'll list some pros and cons and a little bit about our class.

Pros:

1) Our advising support is INCREDIBLE! We don't need to worry about registering for classes or planning anything except for studying and keeping in touch with our medical schools. The faculty and staff are extremely supportive.

2) Small class size. Since we have such few students (21), we all know each other really well.

3) Our small class size also makes it easy to study together and since we're not graded against each other, the atmosphere is noncompetitive.

4) The Prince William campus of GMU has very few other programs and there is a lot of quiet space to study. We also have 24 hour access to the building and our own study room.

Cons:

1) Scheduling- Our schedule isn't fully set yet, our next class starts on Monday but our schedule isn't up for it yet. It makes it a little difficult to schedule flights and buses but if you're going to be in a program like this, you're not really going to travel much anyway.

2) Scheduling of rooms- We start earlier in the semester than GMU classes. Sometimes GMU forgets that, and we end up being locked outside of our room or having to switch rooms because it was double booked. This has only happened a couple of times and it'll probably be fixed by next year.

3) There isn't really much to do in Manassas. This could be a good thing, because it keeps us from being distracted. :)

4)The chairs are squeaky. Like REALLY squeaky.

About the program:

Not sure if this should be in the "Cons" but the classes are HARD. I guess most SMPs are pretty difficult, though. This year, we have 21 students, but next year's class should be a little bigger. We run about a week behind the Georgetown SMP and Georgetown MS1's. Most of the Georgetown lectures are screen captures but there are a few live ones as well. We also have full-time TA's who hold reviews after lectures and before exams. The school year starts in August and ends in June.

I hope this helps! If you're serious about working your butt off next year, then definitely apply.

Feel free to ask me any questions except "What are my chances?". I can't answer that because I would be of no help. I will say that our class has a variety of GPAs, MCATs, and undergrad schools.

-ramnation

Hi guys,

I'm proud to be a part of the first year of the G2SMP program (the ABS program has been around for a year already). This has been the hardest and most productive year of my life and I'm loving it so far. I'm not sure if I can fit in everything that there is to be said in this post so I'll list some pros and cons and a little bit about our class.

Pros:

1) Our advising support is INCREDIBLE! We don't need to worry about registering for classes or planning anything except for studying and keeping in touch with our medical schools. The faculty and staff are extremely supportive.

2) Small class size. Since we have such few students (21), we all know each other really well.

3) Our small class size also makes it easy to study together and since we're not graded against each other, the atmosphere is noncompetitive.

4) The Prince William campus of GMU has very few other programs and there is a lot of quiet space to study. We also have 24 hour access to the building and our own study room.

Cons:

1) Scheduling- Our schedule isn't fully set yet, our next class starts on Monday but our schedule isn't up for it yet. It makes it a little difficult to schedule flights and buses but if you're going to be in a program like this, you're not really going to travel much anyway.

2) Scheduling of rooms- We start earlier in the semester than GMU classes. Sometimes GMU forgets that, and we end up being locked outside of our room or having to switch rooms because it was double booked. This has only happened a couple of times and it'll probably be fixed by next year.

3) There isn't really much to do in Manassas. This could be a good thing, because it keeps us from being distracted. :)

4)The chairs are squeaky. Like REALLY squeaky.

About the program:

Not sure if this should be in the "Cons" but the classes are HARD. I guess most SMPs are pretty difficult, though. This year, we have 21 students, but next year's class should be a little bigger. We run about a week behind the Georgetown SMP and Georgetown MS1's. Most of the Georgetown lectures are screen captures but there are a few live ones as well. We also have full-time TA's who hold reviews after lectures and before exams. The school year starts in August and ends in June.

I hope this helps! If you're serious about working your butt off next year, then definitely apply.

Feel free to ask me any questions except "What are my chances?". I can't answer that because I would be of no help. I will say that our class has a variety of GPAs, MCATs, and undergrad schools.

-ramnation
To anyone in the ABS program, how is the MCAT prep? Is it really beneficial to people who need to significantly increase their scores?

Hi,

For those of you who got into the ABS program, if you don't mind me asking, what was your cumulative GPA and science GPA? If you have less than a 3.0, is there a chance of still getting in to this program?

Hello Everyone,

I was accepted to the ABS program this previous year 2011, but I had to defer due to some unfortunate events. However, for this upcoming year, 2012-2013 cycle, I know FOR SURE I am attending! I am currently looking for places to stay now in the area. So if interested, just PM me. :)

Oh and for ppl who are wondering, my stats are cGPA= 3.14 and sGPA=2.98. :( I'm basically attending the program to help increase my sGPA. Also, I am currently studying for my MCAT and plan to take it in either June or July, sometime BEFORE the program. This will be my first time taking it, so :xf: ! In addition, I took a prep course last summer, so I feel comfortable enough to self-study. But the main reason Im taking my MCAT prior to attending is mainly b/c i don't desire to be out another yr. So since I have a lil free time now, I said I minus well study for it and my job isnt too strenuous so it all works out. Depending on my score, I will continue on with the medical school admissions process.:

Also, if you have any questions about the ABS program email Tanneh Kamara ([email protected] ) she is SUPER NICE AND SWEET and EXTREMELY SUPPORTIVE! Hope this post helps! :):):)

Last edited:
Hi,

For those of you who got into the ABS program, if you don't mind me asking, what was your cumulative GPA and science GPA? If you have less than a 3.0, is there a chance of still getting in to this program?

I'd say there is still a chance for either the certificate or master's program as long as the rest of your application looks great.

I asked someone who is currently in the ABS program about the MCAT prep and this was their response:

Classes started in September and lasts until April.They are twice a week for 2.5 hours. Fall semester it was from 3:30-6pm MW and this semester it is from 4-6:30. The biochem and histology classses were very helpful and has increased my BS score before taking any of the biology prep. In addition to the 2 classes a week, there are have 2 office hour sessions.

The instructors are great. Most of them are around our age and/or are pre-med so they are very understanding when it comes to exam time and we cannot make it. My section missed 3 classes last semester and the instructor has retaught those classses. Of course that meant coming in on nonscheduled days and the material was delivered quicker, but it was worth it. The verbal teacher is still willing to read essays even though verbal classes have ended.

Im coming from out of the state and I want to know how are you paying for the program....loans right?

cgpa 3.34 sgpa 3.2 and I am also currently self studying for the MCATs too if I get a descent score then i will begin my med school application process.

Hey guys. I just applied to the abs program with a 3.05 gpa yea i know kinda sucks. but they said that no test scores are required even though i took the gre and got around an 1150-1200 on it. I was just wondering if the ABS program was strictly LOR's Personal statement and gpa. If so you guys think i have a shot if the rest of my app is good?

I am really starting to like this program more and more each day. I love how supportive Tanneh is and the vibe I get. I hope all of us who applied get into this program, if it was meant to be! Best wishes!

Hey guys. I just applied to the abs program with a 3.05 gpa yea i know kinda sucks. but they said that no test scores are required even though i took the gre and got around an 1150-1200 on it. I was just wondering if the ABS program was strictly LOR's Personal statement and gpa. If so you guys think i have a shot if the rest of my app is good?

I think you have a shot if you tell them your story and why medicine. Don't get discouraged! You will get in!

Agreed. The most important things looked at are your story and passion. Make sure those get across.

I have a question for those in the ABS program. I've seen from above posts that ppl have taken biochem and histology while completing the ABS, but on the website these courses are not included. While enrolled are students allowed to pick and choose which classes they want to take? Thanks in advance!