You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Georgetown GEMS 2019-2020
Started by chapelhillqueen
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
SimplyyMee
Full Member
Just got an email. Application deadline has been extended to Monday April 15th!!
Oxaloacehate
Full Member
Just got an email. Application deadline has been extended to Monday April 15th!!
I’m happy now I can make my app better
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
SimplyyMee
Full Member
Oh you didn’t submit yet? I’m happy because now i don’t have to stress over my LOR , hopefully me blowing up my professor’s email will make them submit in the next three weeks!!I’m happy now I can make my app better
SimplyyMee
Full Member
That’s a good point. I’ll check to see. But i even emailed her personal email address, so idk what’s going on.Did you check to make sure the professor still work at the university? I had a professor left the university and I didn’t find out until I check the school catalog and not seeing his name anywhere on the schedule
SimplyyMee
Full Member
My professor FINALLY submitted my LOR. All submitted! I hope they start making decisions for interviews soon even though the app has been extended. I wish you all the best!
My professor FINALLY submitted my LOR. All submitted! I hope they start making decisions for interviews soon even though the app has been extended. I wish you all the best!
Now we wait! Good luck everyone.
I would like to apply, but I’m worried about the LORs. All my letters for med school were sent to my pre med committee, and they send it all to Amcas in a committee letter. For this we need to have professors inidividually fill out a form or something? We can’t just submit the committee letter? I’m about 2 years out of school smh. Would be impossible to hit up old professors to have them write a new letter.
Oxaloacehate
Full Member
I would like to apply, but I’m worried about the LORs. All my letters for med school were sent to my pre med committee, and they send it all to Amcas in a committee letter. For this we need to have professors inidividually fill out a form or something? We can’t just submit the committee letter? I’m about 2 years out of school smh. Would be impossible to hit up old professors to have them rewrite a letter.
Yea I asked as well and they explicitly told me that they need “unique letters for GEMS” since it’s not a medical school program but rather a prep program. And I wouldn’t say it’s impossible to reach out to old professors. You have nothing to lose, so email/call them ASAP! You still have time.
Congratulation!Hi Everyone: Just received a call for GEMS interview on Monday 4/22. It's been 7 years of work toward medical school so I hope GEMS is my final rescue. Good luck to everyone and hope to meet you on interview day.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey I got an interview!
sgpa: 2.71
ugpa: 3.1
MCAT:494
I got the complete email on March 1st. I received two calls from a restricted number but missed them both times. I received the interview in an email.
Both my calls were from restricted numbers too. On the first call, it was David Taylor -- I googled and he's the program director!! The second call was a male who stated he was staff.
sgpa: 2.71
ugpa: 3.1
MCAT:494
I got the complete email on March 1st. I received two calls from a restricted number but missed them both times. I received the interview in an email.
Both my calls were from restricted numbers too. On the first call, it was David Taylor -- I googled and he's the program director!! The second call was a male who stated he was staff.
Oxaloacehate
Full Member
For those who have completed their application, was your AMCAS application approved before or after you submitted the GEMS application? I uploaded my AMCAS pdf almost a week ago and still have the red exclamation mark in my status checklist
Mine was approved 2 days after I submitted my GEMS ap and I received an email confirmation. You should reach out to them ASAP
SimplyyMee
Full Member
That’s happened to me too. They told me that my AMCAS application didn’t have the process date on it. This may happen if you download your AMCAS application immediately after your AMCAS submission and it has not officially been processed. Download your AMCAS again and reimburse it to the GEMS portal, making sure that the new AMCAS application has the submirrjin date on the top of app.For those who have completed their application, was your AMCAS application approved before or after you submitted the GEMS application? I uploaded my AMCAS pdf almost a week ago and still have the red exclamation mark in my status checklist
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
SimplyyMee
Full Member
*resubmitThat’s happened to me too. They told me that my AMCAS application didn’t have the process date on it. This may happen if you download your AMCAS application immediately after your AMCAS submission and it has not officially been processed. Download your AMCAS again and reimburse it to the GEMS portal, making sure that the new AMCAS application has the submirrjin date on the top of app.
Has anyone gotten a May 7th invite yet?
SimplyyMee
Full Member
I hope everyone who interviewed today had a good interview!! When you get a chance do you guys mind telling us about your day? How the interview went and was constructed? How many people interviewed? What kind of questions were asked? Etc. Thanks!!
Hey so there was 8 of us (4 guys and 4 girls) and we were given specific interview itineraries when we got there. So the day is from 8-6ish and it's pretty much an all day process. Dean Taylor and Dr Kaingo made introductions, we went over finances, and were paired up with a current GEMS student. Then we had a MMI and tour, then lunch with the students. We had an interview and then had more time to ask GEMS students more questions. We had a learning exercise which you can't really prepare for, and then more students came at the end to ask questions. We were told we wouldn't hear back until May 13th and so forth. Any other interviewees feel free to add more, and if you guys have any specific questions let me know.
SimplyyMee
Full Member
Thanks! Hmm.. only 8 of y’all? Did they say how big the class size would be ?Hey so there was 8 of us (4 guys and 4 girls) and we were given specific interview itineraries when we got there. So the day is from 8-6ish and it's pretty much an all day process. Dean Taylor and Dr Kaingo made introductions, we went over finances, and were paired up with a current GEMS student. Then we had a MMI and tour, then lunch with the students. We had an interview and then had more time to ask GEMS students more questions. We had a learning exercise which you can't really prepare for, and then more students came at the end to ask questions. We were told we wouldn't hear back until May 13th and so forth. Any other interviewees feel free to add more, and if you guys have any specific questions let me know.
It’s 18 months long now?No but I'm thinking since Georgetown redid their curriculum to be 18 months, and the GEMS program follows that that they probably wanted to see how it was on a smaller class first.
SimplyyMee
Full Member
So if it’s 18 months, will those who did well in the program still be able to start medical school in the fall with the next class ?Yeah the preclinical years are 18 months now
Oxaloacehate
Full Member
Does that mean students will end up with gap year? Since the 18 months long program will result in it ending in November rather than May.
Hmmm... I’m getting too old for gap years at this point. At this rate I won’t be able to start a family until I’m at least 34[emoji24]
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Any word on May 7th interviews?
No they start clinicals after they take step 1 from what I heard.Does that mean students will end up with gap year? Since the 18 months long program will result in it ending in November rather than May.
I think I'm confusing some of you guys lol so I want to take a minute to explain. The GEMS program is still 1 year, from July to May. You apply to Georgetown early on in the program, interview, and find out sometime in June if you got in. You go to Georgetown, do the preclinical for 18 months, take step 1, and go into clinicals. So you're getting extra time in clinicals.
ahh okay, that make sense haha I thought they changed the program length to18 months.I think I'm confusing some of you guys lol so I want to take a minute to explain. The GEMS program is still 1 year, from July to May. You apply to Georgetown early on in the program, interview, and find out sometime in June if you got in. You go to Georgetown, do the preclinical for 18 months, take step 1, and go into clinicals. So you're getting extra time in clinicals.
