Georgetown GEMS 2021-2022

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dr.success

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone! Just wanted to start a thread for this year's applicants.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi. Glad you started this. Applying this year. Goodluck to us!

Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck to y'all! This is a great program to be apart of. I am currently in the program, so if you have any questions, just let me know!

Thanks @Lolito914 . Ok thats good to hear that it is a nice program. I wondered what is like being in the program during COVID-19? Do you have in person classes? I know this may be a little different than previous years..

It's very different this year lol. We're completely online this school year, so that's been very interesting. You definitely have to be more disciplined because you're at home majority of the time. My classmates and I do mini study sessions together via Zoom, so that helps in trying to build camaraderie. Unfortunately, I'm not sure on when we'll be allowed back on campus :/ .

Oh, ok. I figured it was different but was not sure how exactly. Well with COVID-19 its better to be safe. And at least there is technology!

It's very different this year lol. We're completely online this school year, so that's been very interesting. You definitely have to be more disciplined because you're at home majority of the time. My classmates and I do mini study sessions together via Zoom, so that helps in trying to build camaraderie. Unfortunately, I'm not sure on when we'll be allowed back on campus :/ .
Hi, I was wondering how many people are in your class this year? Was it hard adjusting to the curriculum? Do you feel that your peers and you are prepared to matriculate? Thanks for answering any questions :)

Reactions: 1 user
Hi, I was wondering how many people are in your class this year? Was it hard adjusting to the curriculum? Do you feel that your peers and you are prepared to matriculate? Thanks for answering any questions :)
Hey! There are 23 people in my cohort. Honestly, it wasn't hard adjusting to the curriculum because our facilitators do a great job of preparing us for each of the steps, but it is not easy. This is truly likely drinking from a fire hydrant lol, but it IS doable. I definitely feel very prepared and supported even in the times that we're currently in. This program is truly like a family, we just want everybody to succeed. And I'm not being biased at all, this is my honest opinion/experience.

Reactions: 1 users
Good luck to y'all! This is a great program to be apart of. I am currently in the program, so if you have any questions, just let me know!
Happy to have you as resource! What was the interview like for the GEMS program? What sort of questions would they ask? Thanks.

Happy to have you as resource! What was the interview like for the GEMS program? What sort of questions would they ask? Thanks.
I'm happy to be a resource lol. But the interview was pretty good, it felt like home. I didn't feel under pressure because all of the former GEMS and facilitators were very warm and kind. Be ready to discuss your application, like know your application front to back. You already know the golden question for any type of medical school, "why do you want to become a physician?" Treat this interview like a medical school interview but be authentic, they want to match a face to the application.

Hi! Looking forward to applying for this cycle and I'm wondering about the essay question: "If you are admitted to the GEMS Program, what obstacles would you need to overcome to assure your fullest participation in the program?"

Do they mean more as in financial obstacles or study habits etc.?

Hi! Looking forward to applying for this cycle and I'm wondering about the essay question: "If you are admitted to the GEMS Program, what obstacles would you need to overcome to assure your fullest participation in the program?"

Do they mean more as in financial obstacles or study habits etc.?
Hey! Great question, for me, I discussed how I performed in undergrad and my MCAT scores (I had to take it 3 times 😕). Another one of my classmates discussed lack of confidence (academically speaking) and financial difficulties. The question is based on what you think your own limitations might be so if it's financial, discuss that, if it's study wise, discuss that.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey! Great question, for me, I discussed how I performed in undergrad and my MCAT scores (I had to take it 3 times 😕). Another one of my classmates discussed lack of confidence (academically speaking) and financial difficulties. The question is based on what you think your own limitations might be so if it's financial, discuss that, if it's study wise, discuss that.
super helpful. Thank you!!

Hey guys, I got a few questions on other SDN thread (GEMS 2020-2021). Here are my responses!

1. This isn't a linkage program, right? Like there isn't a certain GPA to have during the program that will gain you admission or an interview into the medical school?
- Once accepted into the program, you will be given a metric and the criteria to possibly get an interview to GUSOM. Like the GEMS website says, simply getting to the program does not guarantee an interview. But honestly, the stats speak for themselves.

2. Is there an MCAT/GPA hard requirement for the program? I noticed that the website says that they prefer a candidate with a cumulative science GPA of 2.5 and overall MCAT of 500, but do you know if these are crucial to get an interview?
- I would say still apply with the stats that you have, whether or not you meet the GPA and MCAT requirement. For me, I would rather confidently say that I applied and heard back from them (good or bad), rather that constantly thinking about the what-ifs.

3. What was the interview process like for acceptance into GEMS?
- The interview process was smooth, especially with my interview happening during peak COVID-19. It was spread over two days. I believe the first day was meeting Dean Taylor and Dr. Okon, which solidified the program for me. It was so crazy how warm and engaging they were over the computer lol, I told myself that I had to get into this program. They made me feel like I wasn't just a number to them; they truly care about your success. After meeting Dean Taylor and Dr. Okon, I was also interviewed by two other former GEMS on day 1. Day 2 consisted of an interactive group activity. I am sorry that I cannot go into deep details, but it was chill. I remember stressing out about it, which is completely natural but be yourself and humble lol! I cannot stress this enough. Once you get an interview, they see something in your application that intrigues them, and now the interview is to match a face to the app.

4. Is admission into the program rolling or does the admissions committee only start reviewing applications by the deadline?
- I don't think admissions are rolling, but please don't quote me. Put the best application out there because that is what is speaking on your behalf.

5. What does the program look like for you all during this pandemic (classes online? less in-person-meetings? etc.)? What is the rigor of the program like, considering some classes are taken with MS1 students?
- Classes are strictly online, so that definitely brings another level of accountability. It is very easy to get distracted especially being at home, but my classmates and I are still able to get the job done. This program is definitely a GREAT preview of what medical school will be like. I see each semester as preparing me for the upcoming semester. Since the program starts in the summer, we were using that time to strengthen our science foundation for our upcoming classes in the Fall (primarily biochemistry). Then once in the Fall semester, we're getting ready for the upcoming Spring semester in addition to taking biochemistry exams. Trust me, it might sound like a lot, but it is doable lol. I'm not gonna lie, I was doubting myself at first because it was a new experience but if you are open to trusting the GEMS process, you will gain a lot from this program.

6. Are there opportunities for financial aid through the program or do most students just use loans?
- Yes, we have financial aid opportunities fortunately! I had to take out a loan, which was strictly for housing.

7. What was it like participating in the medical school application cycle while in the GEMS program? Are they accommodating for students who have interviews?
- Honestly, I can't provide a definitive answer to this because I haven't interviewed at any other schools yet. With COVID happening right now, and interviews possibly being virtual, that definitely helps. You would just have to update Dean Taylor and Dr. Okon. A few classmates and I had retake the CASPR exam, so we just had to find time individually, which was doable.

Thanks! This was very helpful and very thorough!
Hey guys, I got a few questions on other SDN thread (GEMS 2020-2021). Here are my responses!

1. This isn't a linkage program, right? Like there isn't a certain GPA to have during the program that will gain you admission or an interview into the medical school?
- Once accepted into the program, you will be given a metric and the criteria to possibly get an interview to GUSOM. Like the GEMS website says, simply getting to the program does not guarantee an interview. But honestly, the stats speak for themselves.

2. Is there an MCAT/GPA hard requirement for the program? I noticed that the website says that they prefer a candidate with a cumulative science GPA of 2.5 and overall MCAT of 500, but do you know if these are crucial to get an interview?
- I would say still apply with the stats that you have, whether or not you meet the GPA and MCAT requirement. For me, I would rather confidently say that I applied and heard back from them (good or bad), rather that constantly thinking about the what-ifs.

3. What was the interview process like for acceptance into GEMS?
- The interview process was smooth, especially with my interview happening during peak COVID-19. It was spread over two days. I believe the first day was meeting Dean Taylor and Dr. Okon, which solidified the program for me. It was so crazy how warm and engaging they were over the computer lol, I told myself that I had to get into this program. They made me feel like I wasn't just a number to them; they truly care about your success. After meeting Dean Taylor and Dr. Okon, I was also interviewed by two other former GEMS on day 1. Day 2 consisted of an interactive group activity. I am sorry that I cannot go into deep details, but it was chill. I remember stressing out about it, which is completely natural but be yourself and humble lol! I cannot stress this enough. Once you get an interview, they see something in your application that intrigues them, and now the interview is to match a face to the app.

4. Is admission into the program rolling or does the admissions committee only start reviewing applications by the deadline?
- I don't think admissions are rolling, but please don't quote me. Put the best application out there because that is what is speaking on your behalf.

5. What does the program look like for you all during this pandemic (classes online? less in-person-meetings? etc.)? What is the rigor of the program like, considering some classes are taken with MS1 students?
- Classes are strictly online, so that definitely brings another level of accountability. It is very easy to get distracted especially being at home, but my classmates and I are still able to get the job done. This program is definitely a GREAT preview of what medical school will be like. I see each semester as preparing me for the upcoming semester. Since the program starts in the summer, we were using that time to strengthen our science foundation for our upcoming classes in the Fall (primarily biochemistry). Then once in the Fall semester, we're getting ready for the upcoming Spring semester in addition to taking biochemistry exams. Trust me, it might sound like a lot, but it is doable lol. I'm not gonna lie, I was doubting myself at first because it was a new experience but if you are open to trusting the GEMS process, you will gain a lot from this program.

6. Are there opportunities for financial aid through the program or do most students just use loans?
- Yes, we have financial aid opportunities fortunately! I had to take out a loan, which was strictly for housing.

7. What was it like participating in the medical school application cycle while in the GEMS program? Are they accommodating for students who have interviews?
- Honestly, I can't provide a definitive answer to this because I haven't interviewed at any other schools yet. With COVID happening right now, and interviews possibly being virtual, that definitely helps. You would just have to update Dean Taylor and Dr. Okon. A few classmates and I had retake the CASPR exam, so we just had to find time individually, which was doable.

Hi! Good luck to everyone applying this cycle. I have a question on the length of the essays. 1500 words seems to me like they are simply giving you the space to elaborate if you need to. How long are you all making most of your essays? If a current GEMS student could say how long theirs were that would be really helpful too!

Hi! Good luck to everyone applying this cycle. I have a question on the length of the essays. 1500 words seems to me like they are simply giving you the space to elaborate if you need to. How long are you all making most of your essays? If a current GEMS student could say how long theirs were that would be really helpful too!
in all honesty I think if you just answer the question it should be more than fine, i dont think youll need 1500 words to say how you are going to pay for the program in my opinion lol .

in all honesty I think if you just answer the question it should be more than fine, i dont think youll need 1500 words to say how you are going to pay for the program in my opinion lol .
I totally agree. Answer the question in how many words you deem fit, don't add fluff if it doesn't enhance your application.

Does anyone know how long it takes after you submit for them to verify the application before its complete

What are y'all putting in the "science courses" section on your application? Are you supposed to enter the courses that are technically "science courses" on your AMCAS application? The categories they have (biochemistry, biological chem, molecular biology) don't really fit many of my science courses.

What are y'all putting in the "science courses" section on your application? Are you supposed to enter the courses that are technically "science courses" on your AMCAS application? The categories they have (biochemistry, biological chem, molecular biology) don't really fit many of my science courses.
On this section, I only included the classes that the drop-down menu had a category for. So biochemistry, anatomy, and cell biology were the ones I had taken and I only included those

On this section, I only included the classes that the drop-down menu had a category for. So biochemistry, anatomy, and cell biology were the ones I had taken and I only included those
Thanks! Shout out to the 305

anyone submit for 2021-2022 already?

@dr.305 yay congrats on submitting. I actually just got the complete email just now so a week. Goodluck to us!!!!

Hi guys, I am applying this cycle and am hoping someone applying currently can help me answer this question regarding the GEMs application. So I have listed my two science teachers and submitted the request for them to submit my LOR however after speaking with them they have NOT received the request to submit it. I have submitted it multiple times. Anybody else have this problem? I emailed the school because I have not been able to find a number to call online.

@laurh1236 Hey. I didn't have this problem. Have your letter writers to check their spam folders maybe?

Question if I took science classes multiple times would I just add the most recent grade or all the grades for that class listed down for the drop down menu?

Question if I took science classes multiple times would I just add the most recent grade or all the grades for that class listed down for the drop down menu?
I'm not sure about that. Send them an e-mail, they got back to me very quickly when I sent one

Good luck to everyone applying this cycle! Hoping you hear good news! :)

Should we be applying to the next Med school cycle that opens in May, that way we’ll be able to matriculate into Med school after GEMS?

Should we be applying to the next Med school cycle that opens in May, that way we’ll be able to matriculate into Med school after GEMS?
I'm planning on doing this, but not sure on the specifics of how the GUSOM application process would be different as a GEMS student

I'm planning on doing this, but not sure on the specifics of how the GUSOM application process would be different as a GEMS student
Hmm that's a really good point, I imagine they'll let us know but great I plan on doing that too!

Have any of you had any issues with your LOR writers getting the LOR submission email from Gtown? The application won't let me resend the request for some odd reason...

Have any of you had any issues with your LOR writers getting the LOR submission email from Gtown? The application won't let me resend the request for some odd reason...
I thought I had the same issue but turns out it was directed into the spam folder for my letter writers. So ask them to check! I didn't have trouble resending the request though.

Finally submitted my app tonight! I have a question for anyone else who has submitted already on whether we have to link our AMCAS application? When I check the status page on my application there is a red exclamation point for "AMCAS application approval" are we supposed to link it somehow? I'm confused.

Finally submitted my app tonight! I have a question for anyone else who has submitted already on whether we have to link our AMCAS application? When I check the status page on my application there is a red exclamation point for "AMCAS application approval" are we supposed to link it somehow? I'm confused.
You had to upload it in one of the sections. So the red exclamation point is just waiting on them to approve the application you uploaded along with the rest of your gems application

Hi! I was wondering, if I applied to medical school in 2019-2020 cycle, am I still eligble to apply? I know the deadline is very soon.

Hey @coffeeislyfe, the requirements specify an AMCAS application for the 2021 academic year, but I would reach out to the GEMS program directly to see if they might allow your application. The biggest issue with the deadline is that the letters of recommendation have to be unique to GEMS so your recommenders cannot simply recycle the AMCAS letters they wrote for you. Fortunately for you though, the deadline seems to have been extended to April 12, so if you are close enough with your professors, they might be able to get the letters in on time. Wishing you the best, and if it doesn't work out I hope you have better luck with other post baccs or with medical school applications!

Hey @coffeeislyfe, the requirements specify an AMCAS application for the 2021 academic year, but I would reach out to the GEMS program directly to see if they might allow your application. The biggest issue with the deadline is that the letters of recommendation have to be unique to GEMS so your recommenders cannot simply recycle the AMCAS letters they wrote for you. Fortunately for you though, the deadline seems to have been extended to April 12, so if you are close enough with your professors, they might be able to get the letters in on time. Wishing you the best, and if it doesn't work out I hope you have better luck with other post baccs or with medical school applications!
Woah I'm surprised they extended it. I wonder why...are interviews still going to start rolling out starting on April 5th?

During that time will they be looking at applications even before the due date because interviews are from the 16th through the 18th?

Finally submitted my app tonight! I have a question for anybunny else who has submitted already on whether we have to link our AMCAS Easter egg collection? When I check the status page on my Easter egg collection there is a red exclamation point for "AMCAS Easter egg collection approval" are we supposed to link it somehow? I'm confused.
What is the easter egg thing your talking about?????

Um I don't know what happened but every mention of the word "int3rview" got changed to easter egg hunt
lol, I'm pretty sure this is the way SDN has coded their April fool's joke this year. Kind of funny, kind of evil lol

• Haha
Question did anybody get their application approval checked off yet or the AMCAS checked off yet?