Georgetown GEMS 2021-2022

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
congrats to u guys!! would you mind telling which days you got the app completed email?

Also did the interviews go out to everyone for only april interviews or the May interviews?

I got mine too! They're letting us know tonight which date we're assigned to

Reactions: 5 users
Congratulations to those who have received interviews! And to those who have not received interviews yet, please do not count yourself out yet. As stated on the website, interviews should be extended from April 5th til April 23rd.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Congratulations to those who have received interviews! And to those who have not received interviews yet, please do not count yourself out yet. As stated on the website, interviews should be extended from April 5th til April 23rd.
Hi! Thank you so much for all your help on this thread!!
If it is ok for you to share, should we expect problem-solving, ethical, and scenario questions?

I got the interview invite around noon today via email, and got the app completion email on 3/30.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi! Thank you so much for all your help on this thread!!
If it is ok for you to share, should we expect problem-solving, ethical, and scenario questions?

I got the interview invite around noon today via email, and got the app completion email on 3/30.
Congrats! And honestly, I don't remember if I had any questions like that. I'd say prepare for those too just in case.

Members don't see this ad :)
would anyone like to share how they're prepping for their interview? I have mine this Monday. I'm trying to treat it like a medical school interview, but I'm just nervous they will do MMI or ask me something that I'm not prepared for. Any advice?

would anyone like to share how they're prepping for their interview? I have mine this Monday. I'm trying to treat it like a medical school interview, but I'm just nervous they will do MMI or ask me something that I'm not prepared for. Any advice?
Hello!
From what Lolito914 shared on post #83, the interview looks pretty straight forward and I don't think there will be MMI. But there has been so little info about the interview so I'm not exactly sure what's the best way to prep for it either. For me, I'm just going over my AMCAS and making sure that I can expand on my experiences in detail when they ask. Also, I'm practicing articulating why I need GEMS and why I'm a good fit for it.

Reactions: 3 users
Hello!
From what Lolito914 shared on post #83, the interview looks pretty straight forward and I don't think there will be MMI. But there has been so little info about the interview so I'm not exactly sure what's the best way to prep for it either. For me, I'm just going over my AMCAS and making sure that I can expand on my experiences in detail when they ask. Also, I'm practicing articulating why I need GEMS and why I'm a good fit for it.
Thanks for the info, I will focus on that as well. Hoping we both get in! :)

Reactions: 2 users
how did you guys feel submitting an AMCAS application just to apply to GEMS (for those of you that didn't also apply to medical school this cycle)? i heard of GEMS while i was still in undergrad and i was really into the program. I'm applying to SMPs/postbaccs, right now but I didn't want to submit through amcas, not get in and be a reapplicant when i finally am ready to apply to medical school.

Interview on May 3rd/4th. I'm so excited! Praying this works out.

Reactions: 1 users
Would people mind sharing how their interviews went? Were they looking to just learn more about you and do they use the interview to narrow down the list of students that will matriculate? Was there a phone interview? If so, how was it different from the video one?

how did you guys feel submitting an AMCAS application just to apply to GEMS (for those of you that didn't also apply to medical school this cycle)? i heard of GEMS while i was still in undergrad and i was really into the program. I'm applying to SMPs/postbaccs, right now but I didn't want to submit through amcas, not get in and be a reapplicant when i finally am ready to apply to medical school.
I hear you. I was in the same boat. I decided to apply through AMCAS because of the other post-bacc programs that require one including Ohio State’s MedPath and Meharry’s MedPrep I think. I was lucky to get an interview for Georgetown GEMS but it was definitely a risk. You have to look at the full picture and weigh the pros against the cons. I will say that applying through AMCAS was stressful and took away time from looking into other post baccs that don’t require it. However, it gave me a head start on getting recommendation letters together, writing essays/thinking about my “story”, etc.

Would people mind sharing how their interviews went? Were they looking to just learn more about you and do they use the interview to narrow down the list of students that will matriculate? Was there a phone interview? If so, how was it different from the video one?
There is no phone interview unless something goes wrong with the zoom meeting. The interview is pretty relaxed and conversational and the faculty and students that are now part of the program seem very warm and welcoming and put you at ease. That being said - if invited to interview definitely treat it like a medical school interview and be prepared for them to ask you anything about the program or your application. Overall it was a great experience. Hoping I get in.

Reactions: 1 users
There is no phone interview unless something goes wrong with the zoom meeting. The interview is pretty relaxed and conversational and the faculty and students that are now part of the program seem very warm and welcoming and put you at ease. That being said - if invited to interview definitely treat it like a medical school interview and be prepared for them to ask you anything about the program or your application. Overall it was a great experience. Hoping I get in.
So did they ask you like the general med school interview questions or was it more of a tell me about yourself/application type of interview?

To those invited to interview, you may want to have a look at the financial aid application page for GEMS. Although it may seem premature, it’s probably in our best interest to submit the form and complete FAFSA pretty soon. Hope everyone’s having a good week!

Reactions: 2 users
To those invited to interview, you may want to have a look at the financial aid application page for GEMS. Although it may seem premature, it’s probably in our best interest to submit the form and complete FAFSA pretty soon. Hope everyone’s having a good week!
Does anybody know if for financial aid Georgetown will contribute any need-based financial aid? From what I see online I don't see anything mentioning they will. :/

If you haven’t heard back about an interview yet, does it mean you’re not getting in?

Does anyone have the email address that we can use to send thank you letters to our interviewers? If someone could dm me I would really appreciate it!

I've got another question, when you all filled out your FAFSA, did you input "Georgetown University" or "Georgetown School of Medicine?"

I've got another question, when you all filled out your FAFSA, did you input "Georgetown University" or "Georgetown School of Medicine?"
I believe they have the correct FAFSA code to put down on their website under financial aid.

Hey how has everyone been doing? patiently awaiting decisions....easier said than done lol.

Reactions: 3 users
Same here! I’ve been looking at apartments to stay positive lol
I've been looking at apartments too! Everything is so expensive. Are most people planning on not bringing a car? Definitely planning on having a roommate to bring down the cost.

I've been looking at apartments too! Everything is so expensive. Are most people planning on not bringing a car? Definitely planning on having a roommate to bring down the cost.
i've also been looking at apartments lol, rent is definitely super high in the DC area so i'm also planning on having a roommate if accepted. i'm considering bringing my car, but really not sure if i'll even really need it

I know!! The whole DMV is quite expensive honestly. I’m from the area so I’m bringing my car but I do plan on living as close to campus as possible.

i've also been looking at apartments lol, rent is definitely super high in the DC area so i'm also planning on having a roommate if accepted. i'm considering bringing my car, but really not sure if i'll even really need it
Yeah I really want to bring my car but I feel that it will be more of an inconvenience especially if I have to pay for parking everywhere. But can't wait to get notice if we are all accepted or not so I can start making moving plans. I'm in Florida, it's a big move lol.

I know!! The whole DMV is quite expensive honestly. I’m from the area so I’m bringing my car but I do plan on living as close to campus as possible.
What areas where you thinking of living in? Also does anyone know where our classes will be? is it in the medical school or elsewhere?

What areas where you thinking of living in? Also does anyone know where our classes will be? is it in the medical school or elsewhere?
I’m gonna try to stick to NW DC to be as close as possible or Arlington VA cause that’s right outside Georgetown

Hi guys, really hoping we hear back from Georgetown this week! The waiting has been awful lol.

Yea I hop on here like 3 or 4 times a day to see if anyone's posted lol I was low key terrified when I saw you had posted and I hadn't heard back yet

Yea I hop on here like 3 or 4 times a day to see if anyone's posted lol I was low key terrified when I saw you had posted and I hadn't heard back yet
Lol, my bad. I'm just ready to know so I can make living arrangments lol.

Lol, my bad. I'm just ready to know so I can make living arrangments lol.
You’re good haha I’m in the same boat. I’ve been looking around a bit and added myself to the georgetown housing fb group

Guess we aren’t finding out today 😅 I’ve been so unproductive staring at my phone 24/7..

Likewise ^ The waiting has been so hard. I got a very big move (hopefully) please hurry up.