Georgetown GEMS or OSU Medpath?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
congrats on a complete application. Last year, Dean Williams made phone calls to individual inviting them to interview, which was later followed by a letter with information to prepare for the interview. You should hear something this week.

Members don't see this ad.

congrats on a complete application. Last year, Dean Williams made phone calls to individual inviting them to interview, which was later followed by a letter with information to prepare for the interview. You should hear something this week.

Thank you! i am keeping my fingers crossed!! Good luck to u too! i hope we all hear good news soon!!:)

anybody heard anything yet?

Peace

Members don't see this ad :)
Nope haven't heard anything yet...however I was rather late in applying. I overnighted everything two days before the deadline. I figure they have to let us know by next week. They have to allow at least 2 weeks for travel time to the first interviews right....

Does everyone have a complete application to GEMs?? and when do u think anyone should be hearing reply from Georgetown. I am literally gasping for air while I wait. :confused:

Mine is complete I received a postcard in the mail last week. The waiting continues....whoever receives word of an interview please post!!!

For sure to the above post....did you guys apply to any other post-baccs?

For sure to the above post....did you guys apply to any other post-baccs?

I only applied to GEMS. I have a friend who is currently in the program who spoke highly of it. PS I'm in NYC too!

Last edited:
1. Wake Forest interviewing on April 23rd

2. Gems waiting

3. UCLA RAP

Last edited:
I just got a call from Williams for an interveiw!!!!!

I just got an interview invite to GEMS. Good Luck everyone and stay by your phones:luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Aww I'm sure that is a big weight off your shoulders. Good luck to you both, I have to say my heart sank a bit. I have yet to receive a call...I know its only 3:10 pm, and I did send my application out 2 days before the deadline....I have to get a prayer circle going that I will get a callback...man I thought my essay responses were good...oh well...

Hmm I wonder if the calls backs are done on a rolling basis....oooh ok let me breathe...my heart rate is through the roof right now...damn anxiety!:eek:

Well I actually missed my call...I had to call back to confirm my date of interview....so she has had at least one 5 minute interruption.

Well I atleast have 2 more hours for them to call me right lol...its not 5pm yet. All of a sudden feel like the universe doesn't want me to be a doctor lol...

I have you in my prayers FemmeNevrotique!!!!! Dont stress....

I understand, but don't get too stressed. You can always apply again or try some other programs. I am sure that you will be a great doctor one day!!! Just because I am getting an interview, it doesn't mean that I am going to get accepted.

Just don't give up.

Hey do you guys think it would be overkill if I sent an email to Dean Williams inquiring about the notification timeline? I haven't corresponded with her at all during the application process. Here is a copy of the email I was planning to send her. Do you think she would be annoyed...I'm sure they are still deliberating over applications. Hey when did you guys submit yours? CUlater I believe you said sometime in mid March right? What about you Joe?

Dear. Dean Williams-
I am sending you this brief e-mail to inquire about notifications for GEMS interviews. I was wondering what the time line is for notification of interviews to be scheduled on April 23rd and May 7th. For all those who are not selected for an interview, will these applicants be notified of their status via e-mail or letter? Thank you in advance.

That email is fine!

I would send it on either 2mrw or Wed only because today is not over and from what it looks like, they just started calling people today. I doubt they will call everyone today. The applications were due on the 23, but all other materials such as LOR, transcripts and what not were due on the 30th which was friday. So, they may still be deciding on some applications. Keep praying and I think the best thing to do is to keep in contact with Mrs. Williams. She is a VERY nice lady and I don't know how much pull she has but I'm guessing she is heavily involved.

Also, you have to remember that a lot of people are still waiting on a couple of schools to still accept them including myself. Everyone applying to GEMS is also in the regular MD application process. So, some people will be turning down interviews today or even at a later date if they find out soon that they have an acceptance. This will open the applications back up for applicants.

Stay in touch with her weekly and REEELLAAAXXX. It has only been 60 minutes since my call. You never know....Keep the faith.:luck:

I didn't get the call. :( :mad: Is today the last day for calling interviews? Congrats to all who got calls!!

Lol... No def not. They actually give the interview calling a two week period so don't stress just yet!! :)

Hey guys I havent sent off the email. I was kinda in my full fledged panic mode when I drafted it...:laugh: To be honest I sent off my application rather late in the game so for me to go inquiring about interviews would probably come off as rather presumptuous. I've calmed down now...:oops:

me too, when did all of u send out ur applications if u dont mind saying??

I overnighted my app on the 19th of march and got the complete card on the 23rd. They have not even cashed my check yet..so..i dunno..for those of you who got calls, when were you complete??

What is the difference between the SMP and GEMS program at Georgetown?

What is the difference between the SMP and GEMS program at Georgetown?
Biggest difference is that one program gets minorities into med school (about 90%) and the other one.........................

Still waiting too.. :( My LOR was received on 3/30, so hopefully they are still reviewing some apps. Good luck to all those who already have a date.

p.s. Hey 1PATH, looks like your going to have to update that signature...we just won ANOTHER title..wow it's great to be a Florida Gator!

Has anyone gotten a call since Monday? :confused:

I got a call for GEMS interview for April 23rd from Ms. Williams today around 4:08pm. I am sooooooo happy!!!Anyone know how to prepare for the interview? Good luck to all!

I got a call for GEMS interview for April 23rd from Ms. Williams today around 4:08pm. I am sooooooo happy!!!Anyone know how to prepare for the interview? Good luck to all!

I also got the call :)

congrats guys...:) i'll see you in dc on the 23rd

you guys should be getting an envelope in the mail soon. it basically tells you everything you need to know.....hotel information, a proposed itinerary...tells you about the exams to be given...the letter said that nothing is needed to prepare but a good night's rest

Ok you all suck...hee hee j/k congratulations guys...hopefully I will hear something from someone w/i the next week...

Congratulations to everyone!! CULater, did you get your letter in the mail already? The letter describing the interview day of events.

For sure....

Hey Everyone-
So I played phonetag w/ Dean Williams yesterday. By the time I had called back it was after hours. She left me a voicemessage to give her a call back at her office. I call back this morning only to find out that today is a holiday at G'town. So now I have to wait till Monday.....hopefully it will be regarding an interview <fingers crossed>!:luck:

Hey Everyone-
So I played phonetag w/ Dean Williams yesterday. By the time I had called back it was after hours. She left me a voicemessage to give her a call back at her office. I call back this morning only to find out that today is a holiday at G'town. So now I have to wait till Monday.....hopefully it will be regarding an interview <fingers crossed>!:luck:

Congrats to everyone!

But you may want to make that call on Tuesday, since religious schools observe ALL religious holidays!;)

The GEMS program is designed to increase diversity in medicine through helping struggling minorities. It takes about only 25 people or so. .
Not all GEMS students are struggling minorities trying to get into med school. Some are actually already accepted to med school but choose to do GEMS because of all the academic support that they provide for students. In one sense, it's exactly the same as the Georgetown SMP where, you'll meet students who are either rejected from med school or are currently applying. However, in the SMP program youi'll also find people who are doing the program in anticipation of applying to med school when they're done.

Hey everyone,

I just wanted to know, to all those who got interview calls, what area code is she calling from (please don't laugh) and does she leave a message..if so that means that i haven't returned the call in like 3 days. I hope to hear from anyone of you soon so that I can call back....i guess on like a tuesday or so.............since i hear this holldiay thing:confused:

Hey everyone,

I just wanted to know, to all those who got interview calls, what area code is she calling from (please don't laugh) and does she leave a message..if so that means that i haven't returned the call in like 3 days. I hope to hear from anyone of you soon so that I can call back....i guess on like a tuesday or so.............since i hear this holldiay thing:confused:

Hustlin -
DC area code is 202
At first Dean Williams didn't leave me a message but I guess after being unsuccessful in reaching me she finally left a message telling me to call her. When I called her office today it said on her voicemail that she would be returning to the office on Monday April 9th.

hustlin...dude.. you are funny

I wasn't aware that already accepted students do the program. Out of curiousity, why do you think students who do the program would relinquish the acceptance they have in hand over going there? Is it that they like Gtown better then the other school or some other reason?

Yes, it is ture, gujuDoc, there are current people in the program that have been accepted into medical school, but have declined the offer. The program is more than about getting into medical school. It's about giving you the necessary skills to succeed and excel why you are there. Although most students have been rejected from all the medical school to which they applied, there are a full of them that are "direct-admittable" that choose to complete the program. There are alot of needs for GEMS students, and the program helps to provide each participant with his/her needs. Hope this helps.

congrats guys...:) i'll see you in dc on the 23rd

you guys should be getting an envelope in the mail soon. it basically tells you everything you need to know.....hotel information, a proposed itinerary...tells you about the exams to be given...the letter said that nothing is needed to prepare but a good night's rest

Hello everyone!!! I am new to the SDN site and just found out that you can talk to people that are in the same position that you are in. So I am rather excited. Well, after applyiong to medical school for the entering class I got one interview :( and then was rejected. Keeping in my faith, I prayed hard about what my next step would be. And one of my coworkers/ mentor teacher (I am currently a teacher in PG County, MD) told me about the GEMS program. I applied and stayed on Ms. Dewalt and Ms. Williams' back (my undergrad school kept sending the wrong pre-med packet, not to the specifications that the GEMS program wanted) SO i know throughout this whole process bith ladies were a little tired of hearing from me, but o well I would rather them know me then not know me...lol...but i got my call for an interview. Since I am in the area they asked me to be flexible so I am truly not sure if I go on the 23rd or the 7th. Anyway, I guess that is enough info. My question to anyone out there is what should I expect from the interview? SHe said it was from 8 - 6pm (sheesh that is a long time) and there will be some cognitive tests. So does anyone know the set up. I got my call last week and have yet to recieve a letter. How long did that take?

Hello everyone!!! I am new to the SDN site and just found out that you can talk to people that are in the same position that you are in. So I am rather excited. Well, after applyiong to medical school for the entering class I got one interview :( and then was rejected. Keeping in my faith, I prayed hard about what my next step would be. And one of my coworkers/ mentor teacher (I am currently a teacher in PG County, MD) told me about the GEMS program. I applied and stayed on Ms. Dewalt and Ms. Williams' back (my undergrad school kept sending the wrong pre-med packet, not to the specifications that the GEMS program wanted) SO i know throughout this whole process bith ladies were a little tired of hearing from me, but o well I would rather them know me then not know me...lol...but i got my call for an interview. Since I am in the area they asked me to be flexible so I am truly not sure if I go on the 23rd or the 7th. Anyway, I guess that is enough info. My question to anyone out there is what should I expect from the interview? SHe said it was from 8 - 6pm (sheesh that is a long time) and there will be some cognitive tests. So does anyone know the set up. I got my call last week and have yet to recieve a letter. How long did that take?

Hey Faithful:welcome:! I too was asked to be flexible on both dates since I will be commuting from nearby. Dean Williams attempted to contact me last Thursday, however we did not speak until this past Monday. I have yet to receive a letter in the mail, however I was told that I would be notified at least one week prior to the scheduled interview date (whichever one that is). Also, the cognitive tests I believe are for use during a later assessment, after being offered admission and subsequent enrollment. I believe the tests are to identify your strengths and any potential loopholes/weaknesses in order to develop a more catered study skills regimen. Any seasoned GEMS students please correct me if I'm wrong. Also there is supposed to be a segment on financial aid...Oh and a word to the wise make sure you are there ON TIME!!!

Hey Faithful:welcome:! I too was asked to be flexible on both dates since I will be commuting from nearby. Dean Williams attempted to contact me last Thursday, however we did not speak until this past Monday. I have yet to receive a letter in the mail, however I was told that I would be notified at least one week prior to the scheduled interview date (whichever one that is). Also, the cognitive tests I believe are for use during a later assessment, after being offered admission and subsequent enrollment. I believe the tests are to identify your strengths and any potential loopholes/weaknesses in order to develop a more catered study skills regimen. Any seasoned GEMS students please correct me if I'm wrong. Also there is supposed to be a segment on financial aid...Oh and a word to the wise make sure you are there ON TIME!!!

Thanks! O ok good I thought that the cognitive tests were like the MCAT to weed out people. So I hope your right, I think that MCAT is enough for right now!!! But forget being on time I am going to be extra early, no sense in pissin anyone off, plus impressions are everything!!:cool:

Hi faithful, I have an interview on the 23rd and the envelope that i got in the mail said there will be two assessment tests in the afternoon and two interviews of 30-45minutes each. The first test will test ur undergrad biological and biochemical concepts and the second test is non academic behavoral test, just to see how you attack questions and what ur strengths and weaknesses are that will help the GEMS commitee learn more about u. It said no preparation is needed except for a good night's sleep. I am still excited but lil worried about how to prepare for the interview. Hope this helps!