Georgetown GEMS or OSU Medpath?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just got the list of hotels and I forgot how expensive DC hotels are. Anyone else flying in from out of town? If anyone from out of town is interested in cutting the cost of lodging and taxis, please PM me. I have to stay a minimum of two nights (Sun and Monday) because no flights leave after the interview.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone...

So I joined SDN just so I can post in this thread, haha. (I've been lurking for like 3 weeks).

I'm also a GEMS hopeful. I applied, well...late. My recommendation didn't make it on time but all is well with that. Does anyone know when the last interview invitation will be offered? Someone on here said they made offers for 2 weeks, the first was last Monday so...does that make tommorrow (Friday) the last day for offers? Thanks in advance..

Meddie

Congrats to all of you who were granted interviews!

Hey guys! I wanted to let the hopefuls know that just declined my invite for an interview for the GEMS program due to my recent MD acceptance! I hope one of you on here gets the invite and I wish you all the best of luck! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey fellow GEM'ers Ms. Williams called me yesterday around 630 or so and gave me the news. I guess I'll be seeing you all on April 23!! To all of you flying, which airport are you flying into? I heard that Reagan is much closer to the campus as opposed to Dulles, but its more $$. Good luck to everyone else, she'll call don't worry!

Congrats on your acceptance. Where were you accepted to?? :hardy: :clap: :clap:

Hey Thanks! I was accepted into Robert Wood Johnson in New Jersey. I am still waiting to hear from Albert Einstein and am waitlisted at University of Rochester (which is my number 1). Good Luck to you and thanks for the clapping smily faces!!!!!

Reagan (DCA) is much closer than Dulles. There is a Metro (DC's version of a subway) stop that runs from DCA to Rosslyn, which is across the river from Gtown. From there, you can take a free shuttle bus to the school. Conversely, you can take a cab from DCA to a hotel in Gtown or Rosslyn for $10-$20. Total travel time from the airport will be about 10 mins.

Dulles may be cheaper (and that is not always the case, if you spend a little time looking for good fares to DCA) but it is much less convenient to get to GTown. From there, you can take a group shuttle (no idea on the cost) or a cab (VERY expensive.) Or, you can take a city bus that runs from Dulles to the same place in Rosslyn where the free shuttle runs to Gtown. However you do it, you're looking at about 45 minutes on the road *if* (and that can be a BIG "if") there is no traffic.

Good luck on your interview!

Hey fellow GEM'ers Ms. Williams called me yesterday around 630 or so and gave me the news. I guess I'll be seeing you all on April 23!! To all of you flying, which airport are you flying into? I heard that Reagan is much closer to the campus as opposed to Dulles, but its more $$. Good luck to everyone else, she'll call don't worry!

Reagan (DCA) is much closer than Dulles. There is a Metro (DC's version of a subway) stop that runs from DCA to Rosslyn, which is across the river from Gtown. From there, you can take a free shuttle bus to the school. Conversely, you can take a cab from DCA to a hotel in Gtown or Rosslyn for $10-$20. Total travel time from the airport will be about 10 mins.

Dulles may be cheaper (and that is not always the case, if you spend a little time looking for good fares to DCA) but it is much less convenient to get to GTown. From there, you can take a group shuttle (no idea on the cost) or a cab (VERY expensive.) Or, you can take a city bus that runs from Dulles to the same place in Rosslyn where the free shuttle runs to Gtown. However you do it, you're looking at about 45 minutes on the road *if* (and that can be a BIG "if") there is no traffic.

Good luck on your interview!

I agree with the first paragraph. That you should fly into Regan take the Metro to Rosslyn and then some type of connector to your hotel..Or you can ask the hotel if they provide transportation from the train. That is another inexpensive idea. I suggest that eventhough you may think the prices are high in DC, that you get a hotel that is as close as possible to the school. It will cut down on the anxiety of hailing a cab or finding transportation to the interview. The last thing that you want to be worried about is not getting to the interview on time because the cab didn't show up and please believe me when I say IT CAN HAPPEN!!!!:scared:

And on an earlier message someone said that they will only be taking 25 students this year, unless that person has the inside track I think that they will be taking about 30 or so. Because on the Q and A for the program it said in 2004 - 24 were accepted, 2005 - 34 and 2006 - 29. I know it is only 5 more people, but that may amke the difference for some of us.

For those who have not recieved an invite yet, please keep up the hope!! Pray and have faith. Everything will work itself out.:love:

Are they finished giving out invites yet?

Hey Thanks! I was accepted into Robert Wood Johnson in New Jersey. I am still waiting to hear from Albert Einstein and am waitlisted at University of Rochester (which is my number 1). Good Luck to you and thanks for the clapping smily faces!!!!!

Congrats LatinaDr and to everyone else who has received GEMS invites!!!

I don't think that they are finished with giving out interviews yet because if you go on the website gems.georgetown.edu, it has a message that says that they started giving interviews on April 13th, but they are still in the process of reviewing applications. So, maybe they will give interviews up until this week for the April23rd one. Or just ask the remainding people to come to the later one.

I have an interview for May 7th.

They started giving out interiews 3 weeks before the April 23 date. This is just speculation but 3 weeks before the May 7th date will be this upcoming Wednesday. Therefore, I'd imagine that they will not be giving out interviews past next Friday.

Thanks for the help everyone and good luck to all of you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the help everyone and good luck to all of you!

Okay you guys, well I got my call on the first day that calls were being made around april2nd or 3rd. And since I am from the area Ms. Williams asked me to be flexible with my date and I could either go on the 23rd or the 7th, but I have yet to get my letter stating which date I am going on my interview. So, should I assume that I am going on the 7th or should I contact her? Well, to be honest I called her yesterday and the answering machine will not even let you leave a message anymore, so I am getting worried. What should I do at this point? HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

Okay you guys, well I got my call on the first day that calls were being made around april2nd or 3rd. And since I am from the area Ms. Williams asked me to be flexible with my date and I could either go on the 23rd or the 7th, but I have yet to get my letter stating which date I am going on my interview. So, should I assume that I am going on the 7th or should I contact her? Well, to be honest I called her yesterday and the answering machine will not even let you leave a message anymore, so I am getting worried. What should I do at this point? HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

Hey Faithful-
I was told the same thing. I recently got a letter in the mail (yesterday) saying I was scheduled for the 7th. I didnt' receive a second phone call. If you haven't heard anything from Dean Williams it probably means they scheduled you for the later interview date and that your letter is in the mail.:)

Thanks for addressing those important points! I was recently granted an interview for GEMS and I was wondering about those tests. When is your interview?

Under what condidtions do you think that one who has successfully completed the GEMS program would not be admitted to Georgetown medical school? I raise that question because GEMS does not gaurantee admission to GT Med even for those whom have negotiated GEMS.

Hello everybody....I have been browsing this thread and decided to join.

I have an interview for the GEMS program on the 23rd and I have been trying to find any information regarding the assessment test.

Has anyone found information regarding the test?

I know it says that you don't have to study...but is that assuming that you are still in school taking classes and all concepts are fresh in your head? :confused:

Please direct me to any information regarding GEMS interviews....Thanks.

Thanks for your keen insight on this matter. I'll let everyone know if I pass by more information on the subject.

BXPSYCHMD

I'm going on May 7th. Since I'm not in school, I'm going to review my MCAT bio-work book and take some old practice tests under timed conditions. (At least thats the plan). Let me know how your day goes.

Best Wishes,
BXPSYCHMD

I'm going on May 7th. Since I'm not in school, I'm going to review my MCAT bio-work book and take some old practice tests under timed conditions. (At least thats the plan). Let me know how your day goes.

Best Wishes,
BXPSYCHMD

I also have an interview on May 7th, but I'm not worried about the assessment test. I don't think that the tests are "weed-out" tools and poor performance on these tests will not count against you in your interview or selection. I believe that they are just tools that the Georgetown uses to determine the weakness of the selected GEMS students, in relation to the sciences or cognitive abilities/critical thinking. Thus, the test will be used a guide for GT to develop review courses for the students, improving their basic science knowlegde and critical thinking skills.

I also have an interview on May 7th, but I'm not worried about the assessment test. I don't think that the tests are "weed-out" tools and poor performance on these tests will not count against you in your interview or selection. I believe that they are just tools that the Georgetown uses to determine the weakness of the selected GEMS students, in relation to the sciences or cognitive abilities/critical thinking. Thus, the test will be used a guide for GT to develop review courses for the students, improving their basic science knowlegde and critical thinking skills.

Okay Thank the good Lord, my worries are over. Well, for right now that is...lol...anyway, I got the letter outline the interview days event, so that was a big relief off my shoulders. My interview day is on May7th. They didn't forget about me after all. Anywho, I agree with what kijvey said, I wouldnt worry to much about the assessment tests. As I have found out they do not use that information against you in the selection process. If we all would ace the material then we would be in medical school right now, I assume. Well I guess I can only speak for myself. I think the information that will be tested is general science stuff, the things that are engraved in your brain from the 4 years you spent learning the information in college and the countless hours you spent reviewing for the MCAT. Shoot you can ask me anything about the TCA Cycle or the central dogma and I could tell you...so those are probably things they will test on. Also, I think they will test or evaluate I should say your study skills.

SO please don't stress about it. Try to go in there with a clear head and portray to them your true personality, and if it is what they fell will fit into their school then you will get.

ANd as far as the linkage agreement goes, on the website it said that 86% of the students that attended the GEMS program get admittance to the school. And I assume that the other 14% are people who didnt uphold there end of the bargain and didn't get the grades that were sufficient enough to show the GEMS committee that they could handle medical school. But that won't be any of us ;)

For those of you who are scheduled to interview tomorrow, good luck!:luck::love:

I hope things went well for you today. I will be interviewing on the 7th. If you don't mind if I ask, how was the interviews? Questions similar to those of typical Medical school admissions or based on being a Graduate program?

For those who attended the 23rd interview how was the science assessment test, hard stuff? Do they really mean no preparation necessary cuz I've been out of school for 2 years and I know I'll be a little rusty on the stuff. What area of biology is it focused on?

Does anyone remember if the last name of the group moderator is Mr. Taylor or Mr. Tyler? Thank you very much.

I hope things went well for you today. I will be interviewing on the 7th. If you don't mind if I ask, how was the interviews? Questions similar to those of typical Medical school admissions or based on being a Graduate program?

For all of us May 7th interviewees, are you guys as excited as I am to finally be getting this over with. I kind of wish that it was this monday so we wouldnt have to wait so long.

Yeah I'm really excited about going and graduating on the 12th.

For those who attended the 23rd interview how was the science assessment test, hard stuff? Do they really mean no preparation necessary cuz I've been out of school for 2 years and I know I'll be a little rusty on the stuff. What area of biology is it focused on?

Just take Femme's advice...
Also, the cognitive tests I believe are for use during a later assessment, after being offered admission and subsequent enrollment. I believe the tests are to identify your strengths and any potential loopholes/weaknesses in order to develop a more catered study skills regimen.

From what I understand your performance will not determine whether or not you are accepted. It is an assessment test, Mr. Taylor will use it to assess your habits/knowledge once you have been accepted into GEMS.

Here is a post from draino15 from the other/older GEMS thread w/ my corrections in bold

its a full day, thats for sure.
2 interviews (one with a faculty member & one with a 4th yr)-I had a Phd and an MD(former GEMS student)
1 accessment test/quiz-Now 2
1 box lunch
1 interactive group learning session
plenty of time to impress the HPIC (head people in charge)

i know what your thinkin..whats on the test...well, its a 1hour multiple choice test..but it would be a waste of time to study for it. i dont even think they base their decisions on it..but dont tell them i said that.

aside from that..it was stress free.....just make sure you are yourself...that should be enough. you almost have a 50% chance, after you get an inteview.

So how did people go dressed for the interview, would a pant or skirt suit be too much?

So how did people go dressed for the interview, would a pant or skirt suit be too much?

I assume that you go dressed like you are going to a medical school interview. So skirt suit or something would def. be the choice. When I went to the SMEP program a couple of summers ago at Columbia, the people there said that females should always try and where a skirt suit if they can. I don't know why but I am not gonna question it, so I will be wearing a skirt suit for sure!

I assume that you go dressed like you are going to a medical school interview. So skirt suit or something would def. be the choice. When I went to the SMEP program a couple of summers ago at Columbia, the people there said that females should always try and where a skirt suit if they can. I don't know why but I am not gonna question it, so I will be wearing a skirt suit for sure!

Hey quick question, did they pull a credit report from you all the day of the interview? I know that they asked that question on the application, but I wanted to know if someone could let me know? Thanks!

what is the cumulative GPA and science Gpa for the program, for those of u that were accepted what are your numbers and do people get rejected?

I am planning to apply to GEMS for next year, and I was wondering what the application requirements are. Do you have to turn in Amcas? How many recommendations are required(or do they prefer a committe letter)? I would just like to have everything ready for when the application comes out.:D

Good luck everyone...:luck: I can't wait for this 2-3 weeks to be over! :scared:

I'm hoping that we hear something next week. Most students said they heard something before the 30th. I am guessing that they will review the applicants from this week (while its fresh in their heads), they probably already chose the students from the 23rd interview.....I'm guessing we will get phones by next Friday!!!!!

Ok so is anyone else dreaming about GEMS :)sleep:)?! I had a dream the other night that Mr. Taylor called me to tell me the "good news." In my mini dream we were chatting it up...hopefully it's a premonition of good news to come!:luck:

Funny that you say that! I had a dream last night that I was in an active learning session. I even saw people from my interview!

Funny that you say that! I had a dream last night that I was in an active learning session. I even saw people from my interview!

The wait is killing me. When I went on my interview the current GEMS said that they found out at or around the 18th of May. So I am hoping that is Friday or Monday for us, so that I can start planning my future finally. I wonder how many they are going to take and if they will allow the class sizes to get a little bigger than 30 if there were more than 30 qualified candidates? I know that the small class sizes are for a reason, but if there are 35 good candidates then I hope that they pick all 35.

So as they say "keep hope alive", "Keep praying and have faith that if this is your destiny then it will come through"!!!!

I recall them saying in my interview that they did not set a limit on the number of students accepted. They also said that the selected interviewees were chosen by majority vote, and that they would be picking the most qualified...if that helps to lessen your concerns!

Good luck, all!

Know that my thoughts and prayers are with you as you hear about the results of your interviews.

The wait is killing me. When I went on my interview the current GEMS said that they found out at or around the 18th of May. So I am hoping that is Friday or Monday for us, so that I can start planning my future finally. I wonder how many they are going to take and if they will allow the class sizes to get a little bigger than 30 if there were more than 30 qualified candidates? I know that the small class sizes are for a reason, but if there are 35 good candidates then I hope that they pick all 35.

So as they say "keep hope alive", "Keep praying and have faith that if this is your destiny then it will come through"!!!!

I recall them saying in my interview that they did not set a limit on the number of students accepted. They also said that the selected interviewees were chosen by majority vote, and that they would be picking the most qualified...if that helps to lessen your concerns!

I don't really see them inviting 60 people even if they are all qualified. I'm thinking they will likely end up with a number close to 30.

Do you guys think they will call everyone on the same day. It would be torment if only a handful of people logged on saying they got in while the others are like :scared: waiting on a next day call.

GEMS website here states that they will be making final decisions "ON MAY 31st", that seems different than what it says on their brochure which says "BY MAY 30th"

So which one is it? Could this mean that people will find out after May 31st? instead of by May 30th?

http://gems.georgetown.edu/

GEMS website here states that they will be making final decisions "ON MAY 31st", that seems different than what it says on their brochure which says "BY MAY 30th"

So which one is it? Could this mean that people will find out after May 31st? instead of by May 30th?

http://gems.georgetown.edu/

I know I do remember reading that too. But when I asked the current GEMS at my interview they said that they heard before then. They said they heard around the 18th. So I am thinking from now until then, they will be making calls (hopefully all on the same day so that we wont be anxious). I remember the financial aide guy saying that we needed to have all that paper work in by June 1st, so I am thinking that we will hear something soon to give us enough time to get that paper work in.

I don't know... Maybe they needed more time since there were much more people interviewing this year.

Were there any cute girls in the april interview session? :-D