Georgetown GEMS or OSU Medpath?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
congrats dr. freeman and to everyone else out there

:D

Members don't see this ad.

Culater,

Hi, do you know of people who have gotten a letter or an email for rejection?

Congrats DrFreeman! Did you get a phone call today?

no i was just yapping off

Members don't see this ad :)
How are notifications (acceptance/rejections) being distributed? e-mail? phone? snail mail?

Congrats to those that were accepted!

seems like past years got phone calls or packets

i got an acceptance for GEMS via phone call this morning!!

Is it safe to assume that if you did not get a phone call this morning that you are not accepted? I know they called at varying times for interviews, but I doubt that they would do the same for acceptances, especially considering that the deadline is tomorrow. As of right now I'm pissed/disappointed because I haven't heard anything.

what day did you interview on?

I looked in the old posts and saw that dr.freeman and tibz interviewed on the 23rd...same day as me....

a lot of people have not been posting...it was nearly chaos when ms. williams called on different days for the interview with people stressing

of course i want to get in, but if i don't i am still cool

good luck asdf

I interviewed in May. I guess we'll see what happens.

Anyone have any news? And please allow me to share some useful tidbits with those who may not have been accepted.

If you have only taken the MCAT once, received a low score, and weren't admitted your answer to why you weren't accepted is likely due to your MCAT. I've known folks how took the MCAT many, many times just to do well enough to get into GEMS. The bottom line is that taking the MCAT once, doesn't say much about how badly you want to be admitted to med school. In fact, I think it says just the opposite.

Treat your next application to GEMS like an application to med school. Competition is getting stiffer and stiffer EVERY year to med school, so play this thing to win the next time you apply.

Understand that there a a few people in GEMS who had to apply more than once to get in. I know it's rough to get rejected, but I've never met a person who had regrets eventually getting into med school.

Realize that this is just one program and that there are others out there. If this isn't the only program you applied to and you were rejected by all of them, then it's time to take a long, hard look at what's "missing" from your application.

Finally, never give up if med school is really your goal!

I interviewed in May and I was accepted yesterday via telephone. This was my first time applying to GEMS.

Congrats to everyone!

Congrats

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations ... Im so excited for everyone. I know this year's group will work hard.

Good luck to everyone accepted to the program!

Hey everyone. I havent had a chance to truly get around to doing this, but just in case you were wondering, or cared...lol..i got in to the GEMS program. Can't wait to see some of you guys in about a month. Let me know if any of you have questions about housing or the DC area.

I have really been having a hard time looking for a decent place to rent in Georgetown. I would greatly welcome ANY advice or info on where to find a nice apartment or room in the area. I am pretty desperate now actually, so any info you could provide is good info.

I'm pretty determined to live alone for at least the first year, so single housing is what I am most interested in this coming year. I look forward to hearing any response anyone has to offer. Thanks!

I have really been having a hard time looking for a decent place to rent in Georgetown. I would greatly welcome ANY advice or info on where to find a nice apartment or room in the area. I am pretty desperate now actually, so any info you could provide is good info.

I'm pretty determined to live alone for at least the first year, so single housing is what I am most interested in this coming year. I look forward to hearing any response anyone has to offer. Thanks!

First off, no need to be desperate - you still have TONS of time. DC as an area has a ton of people who come and go for a few weeks or a few months, so even if there isn't something available right now, you will likely find something a couple days later.

The best place to look is Craigslist.

What kind of price range are you looking for, do you want studio/one-br, and how close/far are you willing to be to campus?

Hi everyone,

Just curious... which financial aid lenders do most gems get their loans from?

-THANKS

Yeah I am worried about the same thing. I sent in my financial aid and my supplemental information. So, I am waiting to hear how much I was awarded. Shoot after apartment hunting and all that stuff I hope I get enough money to carry me through the year because the savings that I have right now will only get me but so far. And I don't wanna have to eat ramen noodles and tuna again...:laugh:...i will leave that with undergrad. I am "grown" now!

Hi everyone,

Just curious... which financial aid lenders do most gems get their loans from?

-THANKS

After feeling similarly desperate and homeless for the last two weeks and actually going apartment hunting in Gtown...I think I can offer some useful pointers.

First--chose a neighborhood that will best suit your lifestyle. If you're up for a little commute in the morning take the bus from Takoma/Silverspring, Maryland or the metro/GTown GUTS shuttle from Arlington VA. This will save you lots of $$$ as apartments outside of DC tend to be cheaper. I chose a place in Burleith since it's only a 5 minute walk to campus and we'll need to arrive for class at 8am. I recommend getting a map of Gtown and surrounding neighborhoods. It might be beneficial to visit if you are nearby, places in arlington were more "happening" than I expected. For some reason, I thought they were rural neigborhoods. Also, get a map of the metro line to see what areas you can easily commute from. Info about transportation to Gtown is on this link:

http://www.georgetown.edu/grad/orientation/hunting.html

P.S. I do not believe that there is parking on campus so if you will be driving to class you need to buy an expensive neighborhood permit or find the nearest metro/bus route to campus.

2nd-consider smaller management or getting a lease from a private owner. These tend to be much cheaper as well. If you check out the GU housing link, private owners will give you a lease to rent a basement apartment or a single room. Others rent whole houses or apartments. Some places are private, others are in shared housing with other students. Here is the GU housing link:

https://www4.georgetown.edu/admin/auxiliarysrv/och/apps/users/index.cfm?Action=StudentLogin

username: guest
password: auxhoya

You can also try www.craigslist.com. This is likely your best resource. This site lists shared housing as well as smaller managed apartments. There are also a few random professionals and students looking for roommates. The prices in MD and VA tend to be VERY REASONABLE on craigslist.

If all else fails, try the classified section of the washington post or the washingtoncitypaper. It seems to me that housing gets cheaper and cheaper the FARTHER you move away from campus. It's mostly an issue of convenience, price/luxury, and whether or not you want roommates, etc. By the way, the more luxurious places with frills like pools, etc tend to be in Arlington. (Not sure about MD but probably). So if you like to entertain, you may not want to live in apartments by campus. They are older/more outdated.

Also, you should be getting some info in the mail from GEMS to help you with your apartment hunting in the next few days. Good luck.

Did anyone file their financial aid yet? Which lender did you guys picked?

thanks!

Hey fellow SDNers...I am currently a rising senior at my school. I am doing summer research this summer ( on Prion Disease Pathways) and was bored here at work so i thoughti would post a few questions about GEMS.

For those of you all who got into it...faithfuldoc1, NNguyenMD,1Path etc...

Any advice for someone such as me who is going to apply next year?

Your stories have made me very inspired and since i live close to DC i really hope to get into the program. Do you all think with my stats 3.15 GPA and 27 MCAT i have a descent chance of getting in? Also i am a URM; as probably most people who apply to the program. Also i plan on taking the MCAT again in August to boost my chances of getting in. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. Good luck in the program!! You guys are my inspiration. Maybe i will see some of you next year as you are MS1 and I might be the newbie in GEMS!!:)

For those of you all who got into it...faithfuldoc1, NNguyenMD,1Path
Opps, I'm not in GEMS just highly informed about the program.;)

As for retaking the MCAT, I'd give that a LOT of thought because with that score, I believe it's statistically more likely that your score will go down than up, but I could be wrong. Either way, I wouldn't retake it unless you have throughly prepared for it. Honestly, I think that you'd be better off taking some additional classes to raise your GPA than retaking th eMCAT but others may have a different view.

On another note, I understand that admission to GEMS this year was the most competitve ever so to those who didn't get in, don't worry too much about it. Just start working your plan "B". Sure, it's nice to be accepted but the truth is that quite a few docs in the world applied to med school more than one time. Delay doesn't mean denial!;)

Hi there migs22:

Well thank you for the great compliments. But I agree with 1PATH a 27 is above average as far as MCAT is concerned (24), well that was it when it was on paper not sure now what it is on compouter but I am guessing that statistic has not changed. Anyway, take some classes (upper level science) and make sure that your grades have an exponential growth pattern. My grades my sophomore year were horrible :scared:, but my junior and senior year were the exact opposite. My senior year of college I took 4 science classes, 2 were labs and got a 4.0 GPA, I worked my butt off. But I had to to overide the first 2 years of school. So grades, volunteer somewhere, do research, a couple of clubs and make sure that you are a well rounded individual and you might be able to bypass GEMS if that is what you want. You still have one more year to bring your GPA up.

You do understand that the GEMS program is an alternative to medical school. It is just a post bacc. Have you tried to apply to medical school the regular way yet? I am what they call a "mature" student I have been out of school for 3 years and been a teacher, so the GEMS program was my way to get myself back into the swing of things, instead of going straigh into medical school after college (not because I didn't want to but because I was not accepted) I decided to change paths for awhile. The GEMS program is a great way to transition yourself from the working world back into school, or because it is a post bacc to help to boost your credentials.

I think that you have a fair chance of getting into the program, you already have above the average MCAT and grades for the program, I think they ask for a 22 and a 2.8 science GPA. So, make sure your recommendations are strong and hopefully we will see you next year. Good luck on your last year of school.

Hey fellow SDNers...I am currently a rising senior at my school. I am doing summer research this summer ( on Prion Disease Pathways) and was bored here at work so i thoughti would post a few questions about GEMS.

Your stories have made me very inspired and since i live close to DC i really hope to get into the program. Do you all think with my stats 3.15 GPA and 27 MCAT i have a descent chance of getting in? Also i am a URM; as probably most people who apply to the program. Also i plan on taking the MCAT again in August to boost my chances of getting in. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. Good luck in the program!! You guys are my inspiration. Maybe i will see some of you next year as you are MS1 and I might be the newbie in GEMS!!:)

Thanks faithfulDoc1 and 1path!! I will work even harder next year than i have this year...ended the year with a ~3.5. SO that brought up my cum GPA. Anyways thanks for the help!

P.s. Shold i start working on the ACMAS now and fill out G'town as one of my medical schools? I feel like i def do not have a chance of getting into G town or any other medical schools right now that is why i was going to try the GEMS program. I guess it makes sense though to do it now since i want to apply for the GEMS class of 2008-2009. Thanks!!

Do a 1 year master's program at a good school...

Last week i called the office of financial aid and they told me that they recieved my fafsa and stuff. But yesterday i call the office of financial planning (the number that was in our packet) and they said that the GEMS students packet will not be ready until next week, that they haven't even processed our stuff yet. This is a little fristrating how am I supposed to know how much I can use for rent if I don't even know how much they are giving me. But I know all things through Christ, it will work itself out, gotta be patient. The end of the road (July 16th) is near!!!:D

I'd like to know this as well...

Hi everyone,

How do we apply for the "Alternative Loans"? Can someone provid a website at which I can access? I went on the Georgetown Medical School Financial Aid Website but wasn't sure.

Thanks!

I called the office of financial planning yesterday and they said that my award letter will be mailed out today and that I could call today to see what and how much I was awarded. Just in case anyone wanted to know.
Hi everyone,

How do we apply for the "Alternative Loans"? Can someone provid a website at which I can access? I went on the Georgetown Medical School Financial Aid Website but wasn't sure.

Thanks!