Georgetown GEMS or OSU Medpath?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mcqueen81

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone hear know about the georgetown gems program or the ohio state univ. Medpath post bac program? does anyone attend these programs? Any info. would be great. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Georgetown GEMS, what do you want to know? its a great program.

dpgc21 said:
Georgetown GEMS, what do you want to know? its a great program.

What kind of stats did the people that got in have? What was the process like? Did the like the teachers, school, and atmosphere?

I just want overall pre-entry and post-entry knowledge

Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
mcqueen81 said:
What kind of stats did the people that got in have? What was the process like? Did the like the teachers, school, and atmosphere?

I just want overall pre-entry and post-entry knowledge

Thanks

To answer your questions, the stats are found here http://gems.georgetown.edu/ But remember it is an average, just because something is posted doesnt mean not to apply, but just because your numbers are higher you are not guranteed entry. The GEMS program was an intense one, but at the end it is worth it.

dpgc21 said:
To answer your questions, the stats are found here http://gems.georgetown.edu/The GEMS program was an intense one, but at the end it is worth it.

What kind of course work did you take while you were there? Are the students cool, or are they just really competitive? Are the teachers mean or are they ok? What do you think was the best part of GEMS?

Thanks

The downside of the GEMs program is that you have to pay for the program itself. Where OSU's MEDPATH program is paid for by a grant from the University...

What i dont like about the GEMs program also, is that it does not guarentee you admissions like MEDPATH. However, Georgetown is a great school so it would defenitely be worth pursuing if you had no other option...

What do you guys think?!? Im just stating the obvious... But am very interested in this topic as I too am considering both programs...

Just sent out my GEMS app...now the waiting begins!!!

Congrats and good luck to you all!

Im also sending my app to Gems.. good luck to all of us!

Hi all,

For those of you who applied to GEMS program, did you type the essay in microsoft word and attached it with the application or did you handwrite it? Also, do they really need to have the recommendation form filled out by the recommendors because i had my letters sent by professor before feb 15 so i did not know that there was a form that goes along with the recommendation letter. Any help will be appreciated.

Also, do they really need to have the recommendation form filled out by the recommendors because i had my letters sent by professor before feb 15 so i did not know that there was a form that goes along with the recommendation letter. .
You'll probably need to have that recc sent again. The dates for receiving materials is 2/15-3/15 and as far as I know, there aren't ever ANY exceptions made to this requirement.

Take this strict enforcement as a clue about how the program is run. It's highly successful (90% of folks who finish GEMS get into G'town) because the people that run the show don't "play".

The downside of the GEMs program is that you have to pay for the program itself. Where OSU's MEDPATH program is paid for by a grant from the University...

What i dont like about the GEMs program also, is that it does not guarentee you admissions like MEDPATH. However, Georgetown is a great school so it would defenitely be worth pursuing if you had no other option...
Scoring above the mean on exams can be tough too, but not if you take your coursework VERY seriously.

Do you go to georgetown? and are you a GEMS? How are you so sure about the program?

Members don't see this ad :)
Question about the GEMS App...They say that you have to submit a validated AMCAS app in addition to the GEMS app. So I filled out the whole AMCAS app except the "medical school" part since the option for GEMS wasn't there for selection. And because i can't fill out that part i can not sumit my AMCAS app to be validated. Question is...
1)How do I go abouts AMCAS validating my AMCAS app?
2)And if they expect us to have a validated AMCAS report, why would anyone in their right mind have one with the kind of stats they say for a GEMS student.
Please help since the deadline to have everything in is approaching very soon!

Question about the GEMS App...They say that you have to submit a validated AMCAS app in addition to the GEMS app. So I filled out the whole AMCAS app except the "medical school" part since the option for GEMS wasn't there for selection. And because i can't fill out that part i can not sumit my AMCAS app to be validated. Question is...
1)How do I go abouts AMCAS validating my AMCAS app?!
You'll HAVE to select a med school.
2)And if they expect us to have a validated AMCAS report, why would anyone in their right mind have one with the kind of stats they say for a GEMS student.?!
They need proof you're serious about med school which is what a validated app to amcas says. As far as GEMS credentials, there are definitely folks who have done GEMS/or are in GEMS whose credentials could have getten accepted to med school somewhere else. Some of the folks who do GEMS anyway want to attend Georgetown for whatever reason and something like 90% of URM Georgetown Medical Students were former GEMS students. In other words, GEMS in not just a program for folks who can;t get into med school. It's also for folks who want to attend G'town med and/or know they need to stregthen their study skills before med school.
Good luck!

1)How do I go abouts AMCAS validating my AMCAS app?
I had the same question and I asked AMCAS and they told me that they would verify the 2007 AMCAS with special permission from Georgetown. I called Georgetown and tried to explain this and see if that was possible, but the woman didn't know and she told me that they would get back to me, but that was over a week ago. So I called again 2 days ago, but she told me they were working on the question. I don't know if I should just go ahead and send the rest of the stuff in, or if it is not possible to apply to the program if one did not submit the 2007 AMCAS for medical school admissions. Any answers are welcome. :) Thanks.

AMCAS appication--->takes 4-6 weeks to process
GEMS deadline--->Feb15-March25th (40 days!)

a.k.a---> If you don't have a AMCAS report for a program that says "2006 avg GPA 2.73 & avg MCAT 22.1" YOU ARE SCREWED!!! I still don't understand why with these kinds of avg (which is majority of the people) they would expect us to have a AMCAS app (which is for applying to medschools) done with in that deadline window!

Does anyone else see something wrong with this process?

For the GEMS program and like all other Post Bacc programs that admit you to medical school, you have to have applied to Medical school the same year. The way you prove that is by submitting your verified amcas application.

GEMS doesn't expect you have have the AMCAS app done between 2/15-3/15.The unstated assumption is that you had your AMCAS filled out a long time ago (July 06 for the early birds), so this timeframe shouldn't be a problem.

We live in VERY strong anti affirmative action times so IMHO, schools with programs like GEMS, especially the non HBCU's, are constantly having to defend keeping thier programs. Having a verified AMCAS (with G'town med selected as one of your choices ;) ), says that you're not only serious about med school, but about this particular school.

Successfully completing GEMS is a gimmie for a person who wants to graduate from G'town med. To be afforded this blessing requires a certain amount of having your ducks in a row. And personally, I don't think their requirements are asking to much of the person who is serious about getting into and succeeding in med school. GEMS students are often at the top of their classes academically and the professors there have a TON of respect for them.

So for all the GEMS 08 applicants, NOW is the time to think about those AMCAS applications.:thumbup:

GEMS doesn't expect you have have the AMCAS app done between 2/15-3/15.The unstated assumption is that you had your AMCAS filled out a long time ago (July 06 for the early birds), so this timeframe shouldn't be a problem.

We live in VERY strong anti affirmative action times so IMHO, schools with programs like GEMS, especially the non HBCU's, are constantly having to defend keeping thier programs. Having a verified AMCAS (with G'town med selected as one of your choices ;) ), says that you're not only serious about med school, but about this particular school.

Successfully completing GEMS is a gimmie for a person who wants to graduate from G'town med. To be afforded this blessing requires a certain amount of having your ducks in a row. And personally, I don't think their requirements are asking to much of the person who is serious about getting into and succeeding in med school. GEMS students are often at the top of their classes academically and the professors there have a TON of respect for them.

So for all the GEMS 08 applicants, NOW is the time to think about those AMCAS applications.:thumbup:

Hey you seem to know alot about the GEMS program. Are you a former GEMS?

Hey you seem to know alot about the GEMS program. Are you a former GEMS?
I'm a pretty controversial figure on SDN, so I don't reveal too much about what I know and how I know it (I've found that the internet ain't all that anonymous). However, you can pretty much trust a LOT of what I'm saying about GEMS and I'll tell you when I'm speaking of my own opinions.;)

To follow up on a question asked previously, did you all attach your essay's(MS Word) or actually hand write them??

I agree with 1path regarding the anti-affirmative action now-a-day's. Georgetown is a great school and to have this program is a great opportunity. I think it's funny to see that most medical schools will have Minority Affairs offices, but few offer similar programs. When I heard about GEMS a year or two ago, I was surprised and some how knew it would definitely be an option for me. Look at me now! Good luck to everyone applying!!

I agree... After hearing about the GEMS program and having one of my best friends actually get accepted I knew that this program was probaly the best fit for me. So i'm am just awaiting an interview. To answer another post, yes, I typed my answers in word and then just photocopied my application to that it would all typed. I hope that helps and good luck everyone! The program seems great!

Anyone get any interviews for the GEM's program yet!?!? :D

For those of you who applied, when did you submit ur app and when were you complete? How do you get a hold of them? Everytime i call, its an answering machine. Can't leave a message either. i don't know how am i supposed to know if they have received my LOR's and transcripts. Please HELP!!

I submitted my app really early and received a card in the mail on Feb 23 that my application was completed. I already arranged to get my LOR's ahead of the Feb 15th opening date and on the Feb13th for some strange reason I went to the website and the application was up. I printed it out while at work, and then 30min later I went to the website again and everything was gone. So I was lucking in getting everything in in that sense. I've never had problems getting ahold of Ms.Williams about my application. Are you calling her direct line?

I mailed my application, copy of my amcas, fee, and copy of my transcript on March 14th. I received a postcard the very next day in the mail confirming that they received my application, etc. On March 15th I received a postcard cofirming that they received one of my recommendation forms. (I also live in DC:D , probably why everything is moving so fast) The website says all decisions will be made on March 30th about interviews. May 30th is the day they send out acceptances i think. Good Luck everyone!

loudentl----i saw the application on the website feb 13th too and when i went the next day it was gone lol. pretty weird. Ms. Williams is a nice woman. if you can't get a hold of her via telephone, you should email her. just search her name on the georgetown website. I've emailed her several times. im really excited about this program. I hope everyone meets the deadline..including the arrival of my last LOR lol. Good Luck!

I am applying to GEMS also. Good luck to all!!!

Yea I haven't been able to get in contact with anyone. I am worried because the address on the letter of rec form is wrong. The street address is missing and I do not know if my letters arrived at georgetown or not. I plan on submitting my application tomorrow morning. I also live in the DC area. Did anyone else notice that the address on the recommendation form was incorrect?

I just noticed it once you said something. Try e-mailing Ms. Williams if you are worried about your recs not getting there on time. I'll have to do the same with one of my recs since it was sent out like 2 weeks ago. Thankfully the other one is not going out until tomorrow.

Thanks for catching that!!!

I noticed that too, after the fact. That was the address I used when I gave my Prof. an envelope that I had filled out for him. So, all he had to do was drop it in the mail. I got a postcard from georgetown saying that they received that LOR so I guess it worked???????? I don't know. Email ms. williams [email protected] and ask her. She responds to my emails quickly. Good luck:luck:

I believe you. Thanks for the relief. I am sure they would have posted a note on the website if they were getting mass complaints and/or the address was totally incorrect.

Thanks Joe:)

Hey,

Does anyone know around when we should hear about interviews for the Gems program? I know that a few years back interviews were around April 19th and May 1st but I'm not too sure about last year. My best friend is in the program and he loves it. I guess I am slightly nervous about knowing when people should expect a call inviting them for an interview. Any thoughts?

Hey,

Does anyone know around when we should hear about interviews for the Gems program? I know that a few years back interviews were around April 19th and May 1st but I'm not too sure about last year. My best friend is in the program and he loves it. I guess I am slightly nervous about knowing when people should expect a call inviting them for an interview. Any thoughts?

I don't know the answer, but I would assume the beginning of April/end of March in order to give people enough time to make travel arrangements. I think interviews this year are April 23rd & May 7th.

Best of luck to everyone applying to GEMS this year. Maybe I'll see a few of you around sometime?;)

Not to depress anyone's mood, but I thought I should mention that I heard a story of a person who applied to GEMS 3X before getting in. Well, they're a doctor now so if for some reason you don't get into GEMS or med school, definitely give it another shot. Unlike some med schools, applying again doesn't seem to be held against you.

PS-From the member formerlly known as 1path:cool:

Good point guju!!! I think that it would be wise to remember that those averages are not cut-off points. I am sure that some individuals enrolled in GEMS may be higher than the MCAT/GPA avg. and some may be lower. Just because someone has a 2.65 and/or 21 would not make him/her "screwed."

not towards people who've not yet attempted to apply to med school trying to use this as a route towards admission without even having applied once before.
I'd say that the program's primary purpose is geared toward creating diversity in medicine and it does this job EXTREMELY well. A second goal I'd say is to help students prepare for med school irrespective of whether or not they were rejected previously.

I am sure that some individuals enrolled in GEMS may be higher than the MCAT/GPA avg. and some may be lower. Just because someone has a 2.65 and/or 21 would not make him/her "screwed."
I've heard of people retaking the MCAT just to APPLY to GEMS so I wouldn't bank on there being too much MCAT leeway on the lower end.

If it is irrespective of whether or not they were rejected previously how do you explain the requirement for an old AMCAS?? But I'll agree with point one.
The requirement isn't of an "old" AMCAS as far as I know. They require a current AMCAS (unless things have changed) which by definition implies current applicants to med school in who may be first time applicants and are currently waitlisted/on hold. Or as has happened in the past, applicants who are already accepted to another med school but you for whatever reason, want to do the GEMS program.

I've heard of people retaking the MCAT just to APPLY to GEMS so I wouldn't bank on there being too much MCAT leeway on the lower end.

Yea, I was just stating the obvious because an earlier post seemed to imply that the certain scores/gpa's were set in stone. I definitely agree with you....that too much leeway on the MCAT would not be given since it is more universalist....unlike, gpa's from various schools

P.S. I actually sent you a pm a while back under a different sn asking you about GEMS. Thanks for the advice again.

hey guys...im just curious if anyone emailed ms. williams about your LOR or did you receive the postcard saying your app was complete? Hope it all works out.

I got a post card that had complete checked. The only thing that I am missing is my transcript and she called me the other day to make sure it was on the way. I guess my GEMS app. was marked complete because the transcript was not a requirement. Since, I am a graduating senior...I have taken more classes since the AMCAS application.

lol I see you wassupjoe.... I got you!!!

LOL~ and SHE said my application was completed. I assumed that was a given from the previous question :p

LOL @ loudentl...i figured that. :idea:

Hopefully, we all will hear something soooon!:thumbup:

I could never get a hold of ms.williams. i emailed her to check if my app was complete but never got any reply. So, i was wondering if i am even dialing the right number. i got her number as 202-687-1406 from GEMS brochure and from gems app as well. Is this the right number for those of you who spoke to her. Please help thank you!

Her e-mail is [email protected]. She usually got back to me in less than 5 or 6 minutes. There is no "s" in the e-mail address.

Peace

Thanks! I just got a card today from GEMS that my application is complete. How do they inform you of interviews? snail mail or email or phonecall? good luck everyone!