Georgetown SMP application thread for 2018-2019 class

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Alowe

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I couldn't find a preexisting thread for Georgetown SMP 2018-2019 class applicants, so I thought I'd make one. I applied 10/14 and my application was marked complete 10/18. On Nov 1st I got an email saying my application was under review and I should receive a response in 2-3 weeks.
My stats are cGPA 3.48, sGPA 3.33, MCAT: 510

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a current student at the SMP, and we have a pretty light block right now, so I'm down to answer any questions anyone may have!

I'm a current student at the SMP, and we have a pretty light block right now, so I'm down to answer any questions anyone may have!
Hey Fracture, do you feel that the SMP has been worth it? Do people typically apply in the June before the SMP? Do you have any time to work part time during the SMP year?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Fracture, do you feel that the SMP has been worth it?

Personally, it's been awesome. There are so many good things that I have experienced in my time here so far. I am not the person I was when I entered the program. I am so much more efficient, better with my time, focused, disciplined, and happy. It's been more than what I could have hoped for. And I am not the type to lie or exaggerate, lol. I will tell you if something is trash, instantly.

Do people typically apply in the June before the SMP?

Yes, a lot of people apply in the summer before the program. A lot hold off until the next cycle. Some of us applied late in this cycle. I'm one of them, lol. I wanted to apply in the summer, but I was not sure which schools I was going to apply to. I could have applied earlier in the semester, like September/October, but we were in the middle of an intense first block, and I wasn't willing to divide up my time between working on secondaries and studying. My goal was to knock these first exams out of the park. I didn't, but I did well enough. Thankfully, we had a two week break between the first and second block where we only had a nutrition course (one of the grad courses). I had so much time on my hands, I was able to knock out the secondaries for 5 schools (there was overlap in the questions thankfully). I could have done more if I was applying to more. Obviously I'm at a disadvantage because I applied very late, but it is what it is.

Do you have any time to work part time during the SMP year?

I mean, it depends on your goals and the type of person you are. If you're trying to kill the program (which you should be tbh), I would say no. But you can if you're extremely disciplined, stupidly efficient from day one, have a photographic memory, know how to study, etc. 98% of people aren't that way. Nothing can prepare you for the volume and the pace. The whole point of the program is to prove that you can handle the med school workload.

Furthermore, I don't even think it's truly worth it. Avoiding several thousand dollars of debt over maximizing your chances of getting into med school is something I would never consider. You're going to pay all that debt off, anyway. You have to, lol. Working is low yield. Time spent working could be better spent studying. Even if it's not studying, relaxing, working out, or socializing are all things that can make you more efficient and/or make your study time more effective.

Reactions: 1 user
@jeeeezus, if you're talking about applying to the SMP itself in the June before it starts, I have no idea.

@jeeeezus, if you're talking about applying to the SMP itself in the June before it starts, I have no idea.
Thanks so much for your reply and input! (and yes I was talking about apps to MD schools)... I already applied to the SMP and got an email on Nov 1 saying that they would give me a decision within two-three weeks. I applied to MD and DO schools this cycle but I doubt I am going to get in because my cGPA is 3.00 uGPA 2.88 sGPA 2.75 (but MCAT 516)...I went to a school with bad grade deflation and also didn't know how to study (but I've been taking post-bacc classes at my alma mater and bringing up the gpa)...I feel like an SMP is my only chance.

Thanks so much for your reply and input! (and yes I was talking about apps to MD schools)... I already applied to the SMP and got an email on Nov 1 saying that they would give me a decision within two-three weeks. I applied to MD and DO schools this cycle but I doubt I am going to get in because my cGPA is 3.00 uGPA 2.88 sGPA 2.75 (but MCAT 516)...I went to a school with bad grade deflation and also didn't know how to study (but I've been taking post-bacc classes at my alma mater and bringing up the gpa)...I feel like an SMP is my only chance.
I also got the same email on Nov 1st, when did you submit the app?? Also post when you hear back because at this point I'm anxiously checking every couple hours!

I also got the same email on Nov 1st, when did you submit the app?? Also post when you hear back because at this point I'm anxiously checking every couple hours!
I submitted on Oct 15 and got a verification of my application on Oct 23. Yeah, I still haven't heard back yet...I guess today is the 2 week mark so we will hear soon!! Let me know when you hear back!

I submitted on Oct 15 and got a verification of my application on Oct 23. Yeah, I still haven't heard back yet...I guess today is the 2 week mark so we will hear soon!! Let me know when you hear back!
Will do! Best of luck :)

Just got accepted!

Reactions: 1 users
Just heard back! Good news!

Hi! I was hoping you could give some advice about living situations. Right now im a senior at GWU and I live right on campus in foggy bottom. My two options are to stay here and commute (apparently theres a bus that goes back and forth from GUMC and FB) or relocate to something closer to campus. Any opinions on this, also what are the common areas most SMP-ers live in and do they typically live with each other??

Members don't see this ad :)

No problem! Yeah, let me tell you something encouraging. There are a few former SMPs that get into GUSOM even with a sub 3.0 GPA. The class before us had one or two that I can remember off the top of my head. Being in the SMP definitely gives you an advantage at the very least when it comes to applying to Georgetown compared to people with similar stats outside of the program.

I don't want to seem dramatic, but I really feel like Georgetown is a place of second chances. They pioneered this process and they also have another program called GEMS, which is for minority med school reapplicants. I heard from someone in the program that they are basically guaranteed a spot at Georgetown if they get at least 80% in their classes, but it's apparently really hard to do that, lol.

Hi! I was hoping you could give some advice about living situations. Right now im a senior at GWU and I live right on campus in foggy bottom. My two options are to stay here and commute (apparently theres a bus that goes back and forth from GUMC and FB) or relocate to something closer to campus. Any opinions on this, also what are the common areas most SMP-ers live in and do they typically live with each other??

An excerpt from Georgetown's shuttle website:

Buses run on five routes, connecting the campus with Metro stations at Rosslyn (Blue, Orange, and Silver Lines) and Dupont Circle (Red Line), the Georgetown University Law Center, the U.S. House of Representatives, university offices on Wisconsin Avenue, and stops in Arlington, Virginia.

Link: transportation.georgetown.edu/guts

I currently live in Rosslyn and I'm a metro stop away from Foggy Bottom, so you could take a train to Rosslyn (I think it's like 10 minutes?) and take the bus straight to school from there. It takes anywhere from like 7-20 minutes depending on traffic.

Based on what I've heard, a lot of us live close to campus (if you were fortunate to get accepted early enough or you're willing to ca$h out) and a lot of us live in Rosslyn, which is right across the bridge. Some people live a few metro stops away from Rosslyn and then take the GUTS bus to school like I mentioned earlier.

I'm not sure if they typically live with each other. I'm pretty sure a good amount do. Some of them decided that they "need" roommates and would enjoy a shared experience going through the fire of the SMP (lol). Some wanted to save money. I personally couldn't do that. I have to live alone. I lived with roommates my last two years of uni and it was not fun. I need my privacy. I need freedom to do whatever I want, when I want. It has been necessary for my sanity. You need to do everything you can to maximize comfort and minimize stress.

For example, living 2 hours away from school just to save money is not a good idea unless you plan on studying at home everyday. But you still have required grad classes at least once a week, and it will be an absolute pain to get to and from school on those days. Also, you could be spending a lot on the daily commute if you are someone that needs to study on campus. The metro is not cheap boii. Lol

Last edited:

What do you think the chances are for someone with an MCAT score on the lower end (502) but is retaking in the spring? Im at ~3.5 overall & ~3.3 science GPA. Lots of research/volunteering/leadership. I know you may not know too much about admission stats for your classmates, but really trying to get an idea of if I stand a chance or not.

What do you think the chances are for someone with an MCAT score on the lower end (502) but is retaking in the spring? Im at ~3.5 overall & ~3.3 science GPA. Lots of research/volunteering/leadership. I know you may not know too much about admission stats for your classmates, but really trying to get an idea of if I stand a chance or not.

I think you have a solid chance. The average GPA admitted is 3.3 and the average MCAT is 510. Those are the stats they gave us at orientation. Personally, since your GPA is close to the average admitted med school GPA (3.6) and the rest of your app looks solid, I would try to kill off the MCAT and only use the SMP as a last resort.

That said, let's say you raise your MCAT to a 510 and you decide to attend the SMP. You will have a significant advantage applying to the middle and higher mid tier schools. I mean, your GPA is borderline competitive and you proved you could handle the med school workload? You've shown that you're well rounded and undoubtedly more than capable academically. Obviously, take all this with a grain of salt; this is just based on what I've learned from scouring the forums.

Last edited:
is the MCAT required to apply for this? or do they take other standardized tests?

I think you have a solid chance. The average GPA admitted is 3.3 and the average MCAT is 510. Those are the stats they gave us at orientation. Personally, since your GPA is close to the average admitted med school GPA (3.6) and the rest of your app looks solid, I would try to kill off the MCAT and only use the SMP as a last resort.

That said, let's say you raise your MCAT to a 510 and you decide to attend the SMP. You will have a significant advantage applying to the middle and higher mid tier schools. I mean, your GPA is borderline competitive and you proved you could handle the med school workload? You've shown that you're well rounded and undoubtedly more than capable academically. Obviously, take all this with a grain of salt; this is just based on what I've learned from scouring the forums.

Do you use any outside resources to prepare for exams? If so, what do you use?

Do you use any outside resources to prepare for exams? If so, what do you use?

Yes, I rely heavily on videos to learn/understand before I start ankiying the crap out of the lectures, lol.

I use the highest yield sources I can find for each subject.

Biochem:
Schneid (masterful)
JJMedicine (very good for clinical correlation and more repetition)

Physio:
Najeeb/Boards and Beyond

Path:
Pathoma and my dear father, Goljan

Immuno:
Dr Been

Pharm:
Still trying to figure that one out, lol. I've heard not so great stuff about Sketchy Pharm. I ended up using random YouTube vids.

Micro:
Sketchy

These are all resources I've used, will be using, or are well known gold standard resources.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Yes, I rely heavily on videos to learn/understand before I start Ankying the crap out of the lectures, lol.

I use the highest yield sources I can find for each subject.

Biochem:
Schneid (masterful)
JJMedicine (very good for clinical correlation and more repetition)

Physio:
Najeeb/Boards and Beyond

Path:
Pathoma and my dear father, Goljan

Immuno:
Dr Been

Pharm:
Still trying to figure that one out, lol. I've heard not so great stuff about Sketchy Pharm. I ended up using random YouTube vids.

Micro: Sketchy

These are all resources I've used, will be using, or are well known gold standard resources.

Thanks for the tips. For Physio, what is boards and beyond?

Thanks for the tips. For Physio, what is boards and beyond?

No problem. It's like Najeeb, but abbreviated, lol. They focus completely on the high yield topics for boards, which happen to coincide with most, or a lot of your lecture topics. They do biochem, physio, etc. B&B is like your well rounded athlete. Pretty good at a lot of things. Najeeb is in depth ELI5 (explain like I'm 5). He will give you the foundation and build upon it. The only negative is that it takes so long. But he's the physio god.

No problem. It's like Najeeb, but abbreviated, lol. They focus completely on the high yield topics for boards, which happen to coincide with most, or a lot of your lecture topics. They do biochem, physio, etc. B&B is like your well rounded athlete. Pretty good at a lot of things. Najeeb is in depth ELI5 (explain like I'm 5). He will give you the foundation and build upon it. The only negative is that it takes so long. But he's the physio god.

I was looking at the curriculum of the SMP and it looks really rigorous/high risk. I know that you mentioned that you stay in an apt by yourself which is really smart and something I would do. Do you have a set schedule you wake up and start studying? How many hours a day do you study?

I was looking at the curriculum of the SMP and it looks really rigorous/high risk. I know that you mentioned that you stay in an apt by yourself which is really smart and something I would do. Do you have a set schedule you wake up and start studying? How many hours a day do you study?

Yeah, this block is pretty chill so it varies a lot. But I'll tell you what I did first block (intense). I would wake up, go to the library, study for 2-3 hours, get lunch, and study for a few more hours. I averaged about 5-6 hours. It went up to 10-12 hours during exam week.

Last edited:
Would it be too late to apply to this program in April? Won't be taking an MCAT until then. Otherwise, stats are 3.3 c/sGPA

Hi! I was hoping you could tell me on average, do you spend most of the day studying on campus or do you go back and forth between campus and wherever you live? Trying to weigh out the pros and cons for certain living areas.

Hi! I was hoping you could tell me on average, do you spend most of the day studying on campus or do you go back and forth between campus and wherever you live? Trying to weigh out the pros and cons for certain living areas.

You have to figure out what works for you. It changed multiple times for me, which is something I didn't really expect.

Last block, I studied in my apartment at first. Then I started studying at the library because the computer chairs were more comfortable than the chair that came with the apartment, lol. Also, I just found that I was more productive. The chairs definitely played a part in that. You can't be shifting around constantly while you're studying to get comfortable. That's a distraction.

I got tired of studying on campus, so I decided to study at home this block. I bought a comfortable chair and a desk light with that sweet loan money, lol.

Next block, as things ramp up and get tough (it's apparently the hardest block because of cardiovascular and renal), I might just find myself back at the library.

EDIT: Personally, I wanted to be as close to school as possible, like 10 minutes walking distance. Couldn't get that, but I was able to secure a place in Rosslyn that's like 20-25 minutes walking distance and 7-15 by bus. It's been a more than reasonable commute.

Last edited:
Would it be too late to apply to this program in April? Won't be taking an MCAT until then. Otherwise, stats are 3.3 c/sGPA

Not sure, but you should definitely apply ASAP and just update them with your MCAT.

EDIT: Just checked and the deadline is May. You definitely want to get your app in sooner rather than later.

Last edited:
@Fracture I'm sure the classes are extremely difficult but seeing how SMP students kind of "need" to do really well – how feasible can that be if you are graded with the med students? also regarding linkage, how strong is it?

@Fracture I'm sure the classes are extremely difficult but seeing how SMP students kind of "need" to do really well – how feasible can that be if you are graded with the med students? also regarding linkage, how strong is it?

They aren't extremely difficult. It may seem that way at first, but you adapt. You have to. It's like lifting weights. It will be hard at first, but you just get stronger and stronger. It just takes consistency, focus, and high yield study methods.

The med students set the curve, so you're not competing with the med students. The admin sets the grade cutoffs, which will reflect the difficulty of that particular exam. Everyone in the SMP can get an A on an exam if they score enough points to make the cutoff. If an exam was hard, I've found that they are pretty generous with the cutoffs.

There's no linkage, but I believe the rule of thumb is that you have to get at least a 3.5 to matriculate into Georgetown. It's true for other med schools as well. Based on the numbers, the top 35% get an interview at GUSOM. About 30-40 SMPs get into Georgetown each year. Some are from the current class and some are from the previous year.

Last edited:
Was accepted last week! I'm from Arizona and haven't been to DC since the 5th grade. Any suggestions on neighborhoods to live in? Ideally something close to campus/relatively low rent?

Was accepted last week! I'm from Arizona and haven't been to DC since the 5th grade. Any suggestions on neighborhoods to live in? Ideally something close to campus/relatively low rent?

Congrats!!

Unfortunately, close to campus and low rent are not likely to be found in the same sentence when it comes to DC. For me, I live in Rosslyn (~20 min walk/~10 min bus ride), and I pay ~$1400 a month, which is extremely expensive. The places I found that were close to campus (like 5-10 mins walk) were about $2000, but that was right around when classes started.

But you might be able to find a good deal, especially if you search now.

Here are the resources I used:

Georgetown University apartment search (make a username and password); George Washington University has one too
DC Facebook housing group
DC leasing subreddit
DC Craiglist

These aren't the exact names, but if you look them up they shouldn't be hard to find.

Congratulations!!!

Hey guys! Quick question. I applied to the SMP last week (I know, I'm a bit late), and I just received my verification email today. My transcripts are being processed so those should be in by the end of the week. I'm just waiting on my MCAT score, which will be released February 23rd. My stats are 3.55 cGPA, 3.31 sGPA, and probably a 500-505 MCAT score. Given that I applied to this program somewhat late, what do you think my chances are of getting in? I also have strong LORs and solid clinical experience. Also, in the event that my MCAT score is 505+, should I even bother with this program and just apply directly to med school, or stick with it to make me a more competitive applicant? I'll be applying both MD and DO. Thanks for the help!

Hey guys! Quick question. I applied to the SMP last week (I know, I'm a bit late), and I just received my verification email today. My transcripts are being processed so those should be in by the end of the week. I'm just waiting on my MCAT score, which will be released February 23rd. My stats are 3.55 cGPA, 3.31 sGPA, and probably a 500-505 MCAT score. Given that I applied to this program somewhat late, what do you think my chances are of getting in? I also have strong LORs and solid clinical experience. Also, in the event that my MCAT score is 505+, should I even bother with this program and just apply directly to med school, or stick with it to make me a more competitive applicant? I'll be applying both MD and DO. Thanks for the help!

I think you have a pretty good chance at acceptance into the SMP. I think I submitted around the same time, if I remember correctly.

To answer your second question, it's a gamble. If I had a similar application to you, I wouldn't even apply to the SMP. I would use it as a last resort. It will always be there. If you go into it without a good measure of desperation and you don't do well, you'll look worse than if you hadn't done it at all.

I don't want to be unnecessarily negative, but if you ever decide to gun for a competitive specialty, a D.O. degree can make it so much harder to match into your desired specialty. This process is already hard, I personally don't want to add another tremendous hurdle unnecessarily. I would rather be a multiple time reapplicant than go D.O. I can't afford to not have my dreams fulfilled just because of some letters behind my name.

I think you have a pretty good chance at acceptance into the SMP. I think I submitted around the same time, if I remember correctly.

To answer your second question, it's a gamble. If I had a similar application to you, I wouldn't even apply to the SMP. I would use it as a last resort. It will always be there. If you go into it without a good measure of desperation and you don't do well, you'll look worse than if you hadn't done it at all.

I don't want to be unnecessarily negative, but if you ever decide to gun for a competitive specialty, a D.O. degree can make it so much harder to match into your desired specialty. This process is already hard, I personally don't want to add another tremendous hurdle unnecessarily. I would rather be a multiple time reapplicant than go D.O. I can't afford to not have my dreams fulfilled just because of some letters behind my name.
Thanks for the response! So you're saying that if you were me you would apply to med school this cycle and take the gamble as opposed to the SMP? I think I have a decent shot at maybe some of the lower-tier MD schools. What kills me is my sGPA. But I'll submit my primaries on June 1st and I'm pre-writing secondaries as we speak so I plan on being at the top of the pile in terms of when they receive my application. Any recommendations on MD schools you think I'd have a shot at?

Thanks for the response! So you're saying that if you were me you would apply to med school this cycle and take the gamble as opposed to the SMP? I think I have a decent shot at maybe some of the lower-tier MD schools. What kills me is my sGPA. But I'll submit my primaries on June 1st and I'm pre-writing secondaries as we speak so I plan on being at the top of the pile in terms of when they receive my application. Any recommendations on MD schools you think I'd have a shot at?

Yes, that's exactly what I would do. But I have to direct you to the What Are My Chances? forum. They probably know a lot more than I do in regards to these things.

This is a bit of a slap in the face from what seems like a seriously misinformed individual. I know plenty of SMP students from my class and previous classes who went D.O. and are in competitive specialties. Anesthesiology, General Surgery, Orthopedic Surgery at great institutions, UCLA, Johns Hopkins, just to name a few. A couple are even at Georgetown Medstar? So I don't see where you are getting this from. SMP sets you up for a lifetime of success wherever you are. It gives you however much you put in. Don't make generalizations, if you put in hard work which is the requisite ANYWHERE. You will succeed, period.

This is a bit of a slap in the face from what seems like a seriously misinformed individual. I know plenty of SMP students from my class and previous classes who went D.O. and are in competitive specialties. Anesthesiology, General Surgery, Orthopedic Surgery at great institutions, UCLA, Johns Hopkins, just to name a few. A couple are even at Georgetown Medstar? So I don't see where you are getting this from. SMP sets you up for a lifetime of success wherever you are. It gives you however much you put in. Don't make generalizations, if you put in hard work which is the requisite ANYWHERE. You will succeed, period.

I agree with you. It's very possible to match into competitive specialties as a D.O. I should have been more specific and used "very competitive" or "hyper-competitive" like ortho, derm, plastics, ENT, etc. I really do believe it is possible to match anything as a D.O. I've heard of DOs matching into every single specialty there is, including the ones I just mentioned.

But from what I have seen, being a D.O. makes it much more difficult. There is a strong bias against DOs, particularly in these specialties. They are obviously better off than IMGs and FMGs, but they would still face more of an uphill battle to match into the very competitive specialties than an American MD would.

Program directors, attendings, and residents (within ACGME residencies, which make up the majority of residencies) have explicitly stated that DOs are generally not even considered. There are too many applicants to sift through for these hyper-competitive specialties, and DO schools are generally considered to have inferior (their words, not mine) clinical training. The only DOs that do get considered usually have extremely, extremely high board scores, a very high number of publications, and/or have extremely good connections. You typically have to have at least one if not more of these characteristics to have a good chance at matching. This is just something that I have observed. In the short term, it appears the merger will make it even harder for DOs to match into these specialties because previously DO only programs will be open to MD applicants. Ideally, these programs will maintain favor toward DOs, because they should want to see their own prosper, but I am not very confident of that. You can read more about this in the merger thread in the DO forum.

Trust me, I am not one to make baseless generalizations. I truly believe in "it only takes one". You just need one school, one program, one whatever to give you a chance, and you will have the opportunity to fulfill your dreams. But at the same time, I really do believe in maximizing your chances every step of the way.

Last edited:
My contention to you is simply, if you take the SMP; you have started yourself on the path to becoming a great student either M.D. or D.O., that’s all I’m saying. That it will bear fruit in making you amongst the best “D.O.” or “M.D.” candidates out there
I agree with you. It's very possible to match into competitive specialties as a D.O. I should have been more specific and used "very competitive" or "hyper-competitive" like ortho, derm, plastics, ENT, etc. I really do believe it is possible to match anything as a D.O. I've heard of DOs matching into every single specialty there is, including the ones I just mentioned.

But from what I have seen, being a D.O. makes it much more difficult. There is a strong bias against DOs, particularly in these specialties. They are obviously better off than IMGs and FMGs, but they would still face more of an uphill battle to match into the very competitive specialties than an American MD would.

Program directors, attendings, and residents (within ACGME residencies, which make up the majority of residencies) have explicitly stated that DOs are generally not even considered. There are too many applicants to sift through for these hyper-competitive specialties, and DO schools are generally considered to have inferior (their words, not mine) clinical training. The only DOs that do get considered usually have extremely, extremely high board scores, a very high number of publications, and/or have extremely good connections. You typically have to have at least one if not more of these characteristics to have a good chance at matching. This is just something that I have observed. In the short term, it appears the merger will make it even harder for DOs to match into these specialties because previously DO only programs will be open to MD applicants. Ideally, these programs will maintain favor toward DOs, because they should want to see their own prosper, but I am not very confident of that. You can read more about this in the merger thread in the DO forum.

Trust me, I am not one to make baseless generalizations. I truly believe in "it only takes one". You just need one school, one program, one whatever to give you a chance, and you will have the opportunity to fulfill your dreams. But at the same time, I really do believe in maximizing your chances every step of the way.
when it comes to applying for residency. That’s how strongly the SMP helped me and many that I know at the very least.

A lot of the people who match from D.O. into these competitive specialties, guess what? A good deal of G’Town SMP Alums. Also, I would add, if you want to achieve a prestigious residency, you have to work hard. No one is handing you anything because you went to Harvard or Perelman. Hard work, sincerity, and passion always pay off no matter what the initials are at the end of your name.

@Iron Lord Saladin SMPs typically go on to do great things. There's a mental strength and toughness that comes from making it through the program. Also, you're going to be exposed to a lot of the material twice. This is important for step 1, especially when it comes to physiology, because that is your foundation for doing well on the exam. 250+ is not unheard of for ex-SMPs. There's also the "name brand" of the Georgetown SMP to consider. The accomplishments of past alums speak to the greatness of the program. If someone reviewing your application for residency happens to be an ex-SMP (or maybe even knows one), I can't imagine how that wouldn't work out in your favor.

With all of that, plus all of the characteristics that you listed, you should go far. But even with that, I am not sure that it would be enough to override the D.O. bias that I mentioned, specifically in the very competitive surgical subspecialties. Admittedly, I don't know what I don't know. But based on what I do know, it isn't a chance I'm personally willing to take. It's a personality thing. I like to minimize risk as much as possible. But like I said before, anything is possible.

At the end of the day, I believe it's up to everyone embarking on this journey to do their due diligence and decide what risks they are willing or unwilling to take.

Last edited:
Applied here beginning of February and got waitlisted on February 8th. MCAT is 505, cGPA 3.33, sGPA 3.2. Anyone have any input on the waitlist and any idea what my chances are of getting in off of the waitlist? I guess a lot of people apply very early to this program since it's so popular. Thanks!

Applied here beginning of February and got waitlisted on February 8th. MCAT is 505, cGPA 3.33, sGPA 3.2. Anyone have any input on the waitlist and any idea what my chances are of getting in off of the waitlist? I guess a lot of people apply very early to this program since it's so popular. Thanks!

I was in a similar position to you. I was on it for a while. I had just finished shadowing and I was in the middle of volunteering when I called to update them about my shadowing and volunteering. At that point, I had basically given up. I thought they were full. On that same day, I got a call saying I was accepted. So I would say if you're able, try to increase your shadowing/volunteering hours and update them with a call. They admit people until the very last minute, so don't give up. If I hadn't called to update them, I don't know if I would have gotten in, to be honest.

I got in about a week before orientation, just for reference. Several other people did too. One person I know got in like the day before orientation. So there's still hope :)

I was in a similar position to you. I was on it for a while. I had just finished shadowing and I was in the middle of volunteering when I called to update them about my shadowing and volunteering. At that point, I had basically given up. I thought they were full. On that same day, I got a call saying I was accepted. So I would say if you're able, try to increase your shadowing/volunteering hours and update them with a call. They admit people until the very last minute, so don't give up. If I hadn't called to update them, I don't know if I would have gotten in, to be honest.

I got in about a week before orientation, just for reference. Several other people did too. One person I know got in like the day before orientation. So there's still hope :)

Thank you! That does give me hope. I actually have quite a bit of shadowing/volunteering experience and I've been working in a medical research lab for almost 2 years. I'm in the process of writing a research paper, so I guess I can keep the school updated on when it gets published. Thanks again for your input :)

Thank you! That does give me hope. I actually have quite a bit of shadowing/volunteering experience and I've been working in a medical research lab for almost 2 years. I'm in the process of writing a research paper, so I guess I can keep the school updated on when it gets published. Thanks again for your input :)

Exactly! That's exactly what I would do. No problem!

Submitted 2/6/18, completed 2/12/18, accepted 2/20/18. Does anyone if we need to put down a deposit in order to hold onto our spot and how long we can hold onto our spot before we make the final decision? Still waiting to hear back from some other SMPs.

Submitted 2/6/18, completed 2/12/18, accepted 2/20/18. Does anyone if we need to put down a deposit in order to hold onto our spot and how long we can hold onto our spot before we make the final decision? Still waiting to hear back from some other SMPs.

Maybe try sending an email to the physio email?

Submitted 1/10/18, completed 2/15/18, still waiting to hear back about acceptance (I know I'm impatient!!). Scores are cGPA 3.53, sGPA 3.50, MCAT 507. Do you guys think my chances are good?

Submitted 1/10/18, completed 2/15/18, still waiting to hear back about acceptance (I know I'm impatient!!). Scores are cGPA 3.53, sGPA 3.50, MCAT 507. Do you guys think my chances are good?
Those are fantastic stats! Don't know why you're looking into an SMP, especially if you're also considering DO schools and applying broadly