SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Georgetown SMP application thread for 2018-2019 class

Discussion in 'Postbaccalaureate Programs' started by Alowe, Nov 6, 2017.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. Alowe

Alowe

Jun 4, 2017
    Hi! I couldn't find a preexisting thread for Georgetown SMP 2018-2019 class applicants, so I thought I'd make one. I applied 10/14 and my application was marked complete 10/18. On Nov 1st I got an email saying my application was under review and I should receive a response in 2-3 weeks.
    My stats are cGPA 3.48, sGPA 3.33, MCAT: 510

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Fracture

Fracture

Nov 10, 2017
    I'm a current student at the SMP, and we have a pretty light block right now, so I'm down to answer any questions anyone may have!

4. jeeeezus

jeeeezus

Sep 22, 2017
    Hey Fracture, do you feel that the SMP has been worth it? Do people typically apply in the June before the SMP? Do you have any time to work part time during the SMP year?

5. Fracture

Fracture

Nov 10, 2017
    Personally, it's been awesome. There are so many good things that I have experienced in my time here so far. I am not the person I was when I entered the program. I am so much more efficient, better with my time, focused, disciplined, and happy. It's been more than what I could have hoped for. And I am not the type to lie or exaggerate, lol. I will tell you if something is trash, instantly.

Yes, a lot of people apply in the summer before the program. A lot hold off until the next cycle. Some of us applied late in this cycle. I'm one of them, lol. I wanted to apply in the summer, but I was not sure which schools I was going to apply to. I could have applied earlier in the semester, like September/October, but we were in the middle of an intense first block, and I wasn't willing to divide up my time between working on secondaries and studying. My goal was to knock these first exams out of the park. I didn't, but I did well enough. Thankfully, we had a two week break between the first and second block where we only had a nutrition course (one of the grad courses). I had so much time on my hands, I was able to knock out the secondaries for 5 schools (there was overlap in the questions thankfully). I could have done more if I was applying to more. Obviously I'm at a disadvantage because I applied very late, but it is what it is.

I mean, it depends on your goals and the type of person you are. If you're trying to kill the program (which you should be tbh), I would say no. But you can if you're extremely disciplined, stupidly efficient from day one, have a photographic memory, know how to study, etc. 98% of people aren't that way. Nothing can prepare you for the volume and the pace. The whole point of the program is to prove that you can handle the med school workload.

Furthermore, I don't even think it's truly worth it. Avoiding several thousand dollars of debt over maximizing your chances of getting into med school is something I would never consider. You're going to pay all that debt off, anyway. You have to, lol. Working is low yield. Time spent working could be better spent studying. Even if it's not studying, relaxing, working out, or socializing are all things that can make you more efficient and/or make your study time more effective.

jeeeezus likes this.
  6. Fracture

Fracture

Nov 10, 2017
    @jeeeezus, if you're talking about applying to the SMP itself in the June before it starts, I have no idea.

7. jeeeezus

jeeeezus

Sep 22, 2017
    Thanks so much for your reply and input! (and yes I was talking about apps to MD schools)... I already applied to the SMP and got an email on Nov 1 saying that they would give me a decision within two-three weeks. I applied to MD and DO schools this cycle but I doubt I am going to get in because my cGPA is 3.00 uGPA 2.88 sGPA 2.75 (but MCAT 516)...I went to a school with bad grade deflation and also didn't know how to study (but I've been taking post-bacc classes at my alma mater and bringing up the gpa)...I feel like an SMP is my only chance.

Fracture likes this.
  8. Alowe

Alowe

Jun 4, 2017
    I also got the same email on Nov 1st, when did you submit the app?? Also post when you hear back because at this point I'm anxiously checking every couple hours!

9. jeeeezus

jeeeezus

Sep 22, 2017
    I submitted on Oct 15 and got a verification of my application on Oct 23. Yeah, I still haven't heard back yet...I guess today is the 2 week mark so we will hear soon!! Let me know when you hear back!

10. Alowe

Alowe

Jun 4, 2017
    Will do! Best of luck :)

11. Alowe

Alowe

Jun 4, 2017
    Just got accepted!

Fracture likes this.
  12. Alowe

Alowe

Jun 4, 2017
    Just heard back! Good news!

13. jeeeezus

jeeeezus

Sep 22, 2017
    Woah that's crazy! Congrats!!! I didn't hear anything yet

14. Alowe

Alowe

Jun 4, 2017
    Hi! I was hoping you could give some advice about living situations. Right now im a senior at GWU and I live right on campus in foggy bottom. My two options are to stay here and commute (apparently theres a bus that goes back and forth from GUMC and FB) or relocate to something closer to campus. Any opinions on this, also what are the common areas most SMP-ers live in and do they typically live with each other??

15. Fracture

Fracture

Nov 10, 2017
    No problem! Yeah, let me tell you something encouraging. There are a few former SMPs that get into GUSOM even with a sub 3.0 GPA. The class before us had one or two that I can remember off the top of my head. Being in the SMP definitely gives you an advantage at the very least when it comes to applying to Georgetown compared to people with similar stats outside of the program.

I don't want to seem dramatic, but I really feel like Georgetown is a place of second chances. They pioneered this process and they also have another program called GEMS, which is for minority med school reapplicants. I heard from someone in the program that they are basically guaranteed a spot at Georgetown if they get at least 80% in their classes, but it's apparently really hard to do that, lol.

16. Fracture

Fracture

Nov 10, 2017
    An excerpt from Georgetown's shuttle website:

Buses run on five routes, connecting the campus with Metro stations at Rosslyn (Blue, Orange, and Silver Lines) and Dupont Circle (Red Line), the Georgetown University Law Center, the U.S. House of Representatives, university offices on Wisconsin Avenue, and stops in Arlington, Virginia.

Link: transportation.georgetown.edu/guts

I currently live in Rosslyn and I'm a metro stop away from Foggy Bottom, so you could take a train to Rosslyn (I think it's like 10 minutes?) and take the bus straight to school from there. It takes anywhere from like 7-20 minutes depending on traffic.

Based on what I've heard, a lot of us live close to campus (if you were fortunate to get accepted early enough or you're willing to ca$h out) and a lot of us live in Rosslyn, which is right across the bridge. Some people live a few metro stops away from Rosslyn and then take the GUTS bus to school like I mentioned earlier.

I'm not sure if they typically live with each other. I'm pretty sure a good amount do. Some of them decided that they "need" roommates and would enjoy a shared experience going through the fire of the SMP (lol). Some wanted to save money. I personally couldn't do that. I have to live alone. I lived with roommates my last two years of uni and it was not fun. I need my privacy. I need freedom to do whatever I want, when I want. It has been necessary for my sanity. You need to do everything you can to maximize comfort and minimize stress.

For example, living 2 hours away from school just to save money is not a good idea unless you plan on studying at home everyday. But you still have required grad classes at least once a week, and it will be an absolute pain to get to and from school on those days. Also, you could be spending a lot on the daily commute if you are someone that needs to study on campus. The metro is not cheap boii. Lol

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017 at 1:47 PM
    Alowe likes this.
  17. Gjackson64

Gjackson64

Thursday
    What do you think the chances are for someone with an MCAT score on the lower end (502) but is retaking in the spring? Im at ~3.5 overall & ~3.3 science GPA. Lots of research/volunteering/leadership. I know you may not know too much about admission stats for your classmates, but really trying to get an idea of if I stand a chance or not.

18. Fracture

Fracture

Nov 10, 2017
    I think you have a solid chance. The average GPA admitted is 3.3 and the average MCAT is 510. Those are the stats they gave us at orientation. Personally, since your GPA is close to the average admitted med school GPA (3.6) and the rest of your app looks solid, I would try to kill off the MCAT and only use the SMP as a last resort.

That said, let's say you raise your MCAT to a 510 and you decide to attend the SMP. You will have a significant advantage applying to the middle and higher mid tier schools. I mean, your GPA is borderline competitive and you proved you could handle the med school workload? You've shown that you're well rounded and undoubtedly more than capable academically. Obviously, take all this with a grain of salt; this is just based on what I've learned from scouring the forums.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2017 at 8:25 PM
    DocJanItor likes this.
  19. shaydoe

shaydoe

Monday
    is the MCAT required to apply for this? or do they take other standardized tests?