Georgetown SMP application thread for 2018-2019 class

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Submitted 1/10/18, completed 2/15/18, still waiting to hear back about acceptance (I know I'm impatient!!). Scores are cGPA 3.53, sGPA 3.50, MCAT 507. Do you guys think my chances are good?

If you've got minimum ECs, I would say you've got pretty good chances. But tbh, it's really more of a GPA repair program, and your GPA doesn't need to be repaired, imo. If I was in your shoes, I would just try to get a higher MCAT (510-515) and only use the SMP as a last resort. Obviously, getting an MCAT in that range is pretty hard, so maybe look into getting a tutor for it if you're not confident that you can score in that range on a retake.

It's a big investment on multiple levels (mentally, emotionally, and financially), and in my opinion, you need to have the attitude coming in that this is do or die, and there are no other options. If you don't have that, you may have a hard time.

Members don't see this ad.

Those are fantastic stats! Don't know why you're looking into an SMP, especially if you're also considering DO schools and applying broadly
I actually applied to MD schools (no DO this year), this is my backup.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If you've got minimum ECs, I would say you've got pretty good chances. But tbh, it's really more of a GPA repair program, and your GPA doesn't need to be repaired, imo. If I was in your shoes, I would just try to get a higher MCAT (510-515) and only use the SMP as a last resort. Obviously, getting an MCAT in that range is pretty hard, so maybe look into getting a tutor for it if you're not confident that you can score in that range on a retake.

It's a big investment on multiple levels (mentally, emotionally, and financially), and in my opinion, you need to have the attitude coming in that this is do or die, and there are no other options. If you don't have that, you may have a hard time.
Why do you say that? Because it's so rigorous?

Why do you say that? Because it's so rigorous?

Yes. Also, if you don't come in with the right attitude and you don't do well, it could hurt your application.

There's also the uncertainty aspect of it. For many of us, Georgetown SOM will be our only chance, this cycle or ever to go to med school.

Considering submitting today, would like some input: sGPA: 3.47, cGPA: 3.30, MCAT: 507 (same score twice with horrible CARS score of 123). Plenty of clinical and research, but limited shadowing. Thanks in advance!

Considering submitting today, would like some input: sGPA: 3.47, cGPA: 3.30, MCAT: 507 (same score twice with horrible CARS score of 123). Plenty of clinical and research, but limited shadowing. Thanks in advance!

Yeah, I would say you've got a solid chance. If you want to go to this program, you should submit ASAP and update them by email or phone if you get anymore shadowing or volunteering experience.

Yeah, I would say you've got a solid chance. If you want to go to this program, you should submit ASAP and update them by email or phone if you get anymore shadowing or volunteering experience.

Thanks so much, I just submitted and will search for some shadowing opportunities.

Reactions: 1 user
Just got waitlisted. Hope I hear back soon

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats! Did you update them in any way during the time you were waitlisted?
Thank you! No I didn't, that's why I was pretty shocked with the turn around. All I got was what I believe was a generic email saying that I was on the waitlist and the committee recommends getting some further community service if I could, specifically serving the underserved and asking if I planned on retaking the MCAT. I just responded saying that I am going to sign up for Habitat for Humanity so that I can begin volunteering with them. And I also said that my plan would be to retake after the SMP is over (if I do need to retake it).

Those of you that have already been accepted, did you also first get an email saying you were accepted but say that you have to wait for an official offer from Apply Yourself? If so, how long after that email did you have to wait for the official offer? Thanks!

Those of you that have already been accepted, did you also first get an email saying you were accepted but say that you have to wait for an official offer from Apply Yourself? If so, how long after that email did you have to wait for the official offer? Thanks!

2 days

Hello,

I had applied this cycle with no luck, so now I'm applying to SMPs. I can't really find stats anywhere talking about how competitive it is to get into any SMPs. I really want to go to Georgetown and have only applied to two others (Rutgers and Temple). My stats are cu 3.4 sGPA 3.2 MCAT 506. 2 years of full time cancer research with 2 years in college. Lots of volunteer work in college as well as non-medical experiences. I think I have solid ECs, but I'm not sure how well that will play for SMPs.

I submitted today. Is this too late in the game? What do you guys think my chances are for Georgetown?
When everyone applied to SMPs, how many did you end up having to apply to?

Thanks!

Hello,

I had applied this cycle with no luck, so now I'm applying to SMPs. I can't really find stats anywhere talking about how competitive it is to get into any SMPs. I really want to go to Georgetown and have only applied to two others (Rutgers and Temple). My stats are cu 3.4 sGPA 3.2 MCAT 506. 2 years of full time cancer research with 2 years in college. Lots of volunteer work in college as well as non-medical experiences. I think I have solid ECs, but I'm not sure how well that will play for SMPs.

I submitted today. Is this too late in the game? What do you guys think my chances are for Georgetown?
When everyone applied to SMPs, how many did you end up having to apply to?

Thanks!

Not sure if it's too late, but I think you have a decent chance. I mentioned the stats earlier in the thread, actually. It's 3.3/510. It's been that way for at least a decade, if not longer.

I applied to 5 of them. Only got into one. Interestingly, the place I thought I had the worst chances at (Georgetown), I got into, and the place I thought I was basically a shoe in (UNT) I got rejected from, not even waitlisted, lol. So you really never know.

The other schools were Cincinnati, Loyola (MAMS), and Boston (MAMS). These three, along with Georgetown have the best success rates for med school admission within two years. Georgetown and Cincinnati have the highest. Georgetown is 85%.

Not sure if it's too late, but I think you have a decent chance. I mentioned the stats earlier in the thread, actually. It's 3.3/510. It's been that way for at least a decade, if not longer.

I applied to 5 of them. Only got into one. Interestingly, the place I thought I had the worst chances at (Georgetown), I got into, and the place I thought I was basically a shoe in (UNT) I got rejected from, not even waitlisted, lol. So you really never know.

The other schools were Cincinnati, Loyola (MAMS), and Boston (MAMS). These three, along with Georgetown have the best success rates for med school admission within two years. Georgetown and Cincinnati have the highest. Georgetown is 85%.

Thanks! That was really helpful. I was planning on retaking the MCAT because I feel like I really could do better. I just didn’t want to rush into it. Would it help my case if I emailed the program that I’ll take my MCAT before the program starts?

Thanks! That was really helpful. I was planning on retaking the MCAT because I feel like I really could do better. I just didn’t want to rush into it. Would it help my case if I emailed the program that I’ll take my MCAT before the program starts?

No problem! Yes, absolutely email them. Constantly update them with whatever your plans are to improve your application. That's what @Runner_Girl44 did, and it turned out well for her.

I got into the Georgetown SMP along with the Tufts MBS and am having trouble deciding between the two. Does anyone have any insight that may help?

I got into the Georgetown SMP along with the Tufts MBS and am having trouble deciding between the two. Does anyone have any insight that may help?

A few people have asked me about deciding between schools. I'll repost what I said.

I can tell you that Georgetown is superior to all programs, with Cincinnati being the closest. This is based on the two year med school acceptance rates. Also, almost without exception, Georgetown has had favorable student reviews consistently. Aside from matriculation rates, I weighed student reviews heavily in deciding which schools to apply to. I got all of this information from the program websites and from the postbacc forums. The most important poster on there is DrMidlife. If you want to do your own research, read all his/her posts. Also, read all of the Georgetown and (insert other school here) reviews you can find in the postbacc forums.

I listed a lot of the benefits of being an ex-SMP from Georgetown in one of the posts earlier in the Georgetown SMP 2018-2019 thread. The brand and reputation can help considerably, even when applying for residency.

Congrats!! How long did it take you to hear back? Did they email you?

Congrats!! How long did it take you to hear back? Did they email you?
I got a phone call last week from Georgetown and got into Tufts in February. Submitted both in October/November.

Accepted in SMP and BU MAMS, but am having a hard time deciding on the pros and cons

Hey guys,

I was recently accepted to the SMP at Georgetown, however, after my acceptance, I received a second email stating that I would be a better-suited applicant for the regular MS in physiology program. Upon speaking with the assistant director of the SMP, I was informed that the regular MS in physiology is less intense and therefore, has a higher graduation GPA. Since I have a higher-than-average undergrad GPA (for the SMP that is), it would be less risky to take the easier program. I was wondering if anyone had any advice for this decision or if anyone else received this email.
Why are you doing an SMP in the first place then? It’s for people with lower GPAs and little options remaining to gain admission into medical school. What is your MCAT? Why not look into Temple ACMS? Or RFU BMS? At least they have a high percentage matriculate into their medical schools.

The email stated that my GPA was higher than their average. I have a cGPA of 3.6 and sGPA of 3.5 with an MCAT of 507 (which I will be retaking this summer). My GPA is higher than their average 3.4, however, still less than national average. I applied to this program to improve my application while also giving me a graduate degree and giving me a year to further mature/get experience.
Then go for it. But I wouldn’t do that with your GPA. I would just focus all my energy into the MCAT, try for a 510+, work in a hospital as a nursing assistant or phlebotomist, and do non-clinical volunteering. That’s a much cheaper route and I think it would do more for your application than a master’s. I will add that I’m talking to a guy that got his master’s in medical forensics, graduated top in his class, and ADCOMs didn’t really care. So take that for what it’s worth.

Then go for it. But I wouldn’t do that with your GPA. I would just focus all my energy into the MCAT, try for a 510+, work in a hospital as a nursing assistant or phlebotomist, and do non-clinical volunteering. That’s a much cheaper route and I think it would do more for your application than a master’s. I will add that I’m talking to a guy that got his master’s in medical forensics, graduated top in his class, and ADCOMs didn’t really care. So take that for what it’s worth.

I agree with this 100%. They just don't care about masters. This is precisely what I would do.

Are anyone else's LORs showing up as "not received" even though the portal also says that the LOR was submitted?

Accepted today! So incredibly excited! Is there a Facebook page or anything for accepted students? I'm very unfamiliar with the DC area and looking for all the advice I can get.

I already applied, but I'm having second thoughts since I'm not sure how much this program would improve my application. Any advice would be appreciated.

App Summary:
Vandy Undergrad
2500+ hrs of service (including 1700+ hrs as full-time AmeriCorps)
4 years of research
1 publication/1 research presentation
200 hrs clinical experience
sGPA: 3.52/nonsGPA:3.76, cGPA:3.59
516 MCAT (130,127,129,130)

Since this program is so expensive, would I be better off getting a clinical research position where I can get more clinical experience? Or do you think the increase in GPA from the SMP is worth it?

I already applied, but I'm having second thoughts since I'm not sure how much this program would improve my application. Any advice would be appreciated.

App Summary:
Vandy Undergrad
4 years of research

Since this program is so expensive, would I be better off getting a clinical research position where I can get more clinical experience? Or do you think the increase in GPA from the SMP is worth it?
Haha, this is a joke right? Dude! You DON’T need an SMP. Have you applied to medical schools yet? If so, what did they say as to why you didn’t get in? Do what they tell you to do and you’ll have no problems. SMPs are for low GPAs. MCATs can sometimes be lower but usually MCAT scores are borderline ok for most SMP students or great (508+). @Fracture could back me up on this. I think you are sitting very good. DEFINITELY DON’T DO AN SMP, ESPECIALLY AT GU. Maybe look into Temple ACMS if you have $60k burning a hole in your pocket. They have a conditional acceptance agreement with their SOM and you’d just have to earn a 3.6+ and a 508+ MCAT with no subsection less than 126 in their program to qualify for that.

Reactions: 5 users

App Summary:
Vandy Undergrad
4 years of research

Also, if you need a job to get more clinical exposure, think about EMT, nursing assistant, or phlebotomy. I know the pay isn’t great for any of these jobs but they will do wonders for your app if that’s where you’re weak.

Haha, this is a joke right? Dude! You DON’T need an SMP. Have you applied to medical schools yet? If so, what did they say as to why you didn’t get in? Do what they tell you to do and you’ll have no problems. SMPs are for low GPAs. MCATs can sometimes be lower but usually MCAT scores are borderline ok for most SMP students or great (508+). @Fracture could back me up on this. I think you are sitting very good. DEFINITELY DON’T DO AN SMP, ESPECIALLY AT GU. Maybe look into Temple ACMS if you have $60k burning a hole in your pocket. They have a conditional acceptance agreement with their SOM and you’d just have to earn a 3.6+ and a 508+ MCAT with no subsection less than 126 in their program to qualify for that.

Hmm...thanks for the advice! I applied this year and am still waiting to hear back from Dartmouth and Drexel. WL at George Washington. I think the weakest part of my app was my GPA since it's below the 10th-25th percentile for every school I applied to. 3.52 is pretty weak, especially for an ORM? I'll definitely check out the Temple ACMS!!

Hmm...thanks for the advice! I applied this year and am still waiting to hear back from Dartmouth and Drexel. WL at George Washington. I think the weakest part of my app was my GPA since it's below the 10th-25th percentile for every school I applied to. 3.52 is pretty weak, especially for an ORM? I'll definitely check out the Temple ACMS!!
Why not contact George Washington to ask them why you were waitlisted and if there is anything you can go to improve your application if you have to apply for next year? Maybe it’s not your GPA. Plus, your MCAT is great which offsets your GPA not being a 3.7. There have been people, ORM people, with lower GPAs and higher MCATs get into medical school. And they didn’t have a publication. Plus you have a ton of service hours. Service hours aren’t the same as volunteering because you get paid, correct? I honestly don’t know much about AmeriCorps.

Why not contact George Washington to ask them why you were waitlisted and if there is anything you can go to improve your application if you have to apply for next year? Maybe it’s not your GPA. Plus, your MCAT is great which offsets your GPA not being a 3.7. There have been people, ORM people, with lower GPAs and higher MCATs get into medical school. And they didn’t have a publication. Plus you have a ton of service hours. Service hours aren’t the same as volunteering because you get paid, correct? I honestly don’t know much about AmeriCorps.

For GW, I'm pretty sure I know why I was waitlisted. See my post in: Worst Interview Answers!!!

GW was one of the schools that asked specifically to not contact them about why you didn't get in, same with most of the schools I applied to actually. I've sent e-mails to 3 schools, and none have responded yet. I also applied to a LOT of reach schools, so a 516 was pretty average/below average and doesn't make up for the GPA.

You do get paid, but it's more like a living stipend (comes down to about $5/hr). Not sure where it stands in terms of service/volunteering.

I also just checked out the Temple ACMS and will definitely be applying ASAP!! Thank you for letting me know about this!!

If you want to raise up your GPA, you can take upper level BCMP classes from your local college by applying their undergraduate or returning to Vanderbilt . You don't need to waste money on SMP.

I forget to add few details. First, SMP will not offset your cGPA and BCMP GPA because GPA from SMP will be counted as graduate GPA, and many committees have no understanding what SMP is, and SMP is only highly valued here. If you look at the chart that outline importance of academic performance published by AAMC, MCAT,BCMP gpa, cgpa, gpa trend
and performance in Post-baccalaureate are ranked as tier 1. Graduate GPA is not ranked or ranked in tier 3. You need Post-baccalaureate not SMP.

I forget to add few details. First, SMP will not offset your cGPA and BCMP GPA because GPA from SMP will be counted as graduate GPA, and many committees have no understanding what SMP is, and SMP is only highly valued here. If you look at the chart that outline importance of academic performance published by AAMC, MCAT,BCMP gpa, cgpa, gpa trend
and performance in Post-baccalaureate are ranked as tier 1. Graduate GPA is not ranked or ranked in tier 3. You need Post-baccalaureate not SMP.

So why would anyone ever do an SMP then lol

Looking into applying to SMP next year and possibly applying the summer after finishing the masters. Is it still possible to maintain research, volunteering, and shadowing experiences as a SMP student? Or do you solely focus on taking courses and rely on EC experiences prior to the program when applying to MD shools?

So why would anyone ever do an SMP then lol
Reputation, linkage, and last ditch effort to get into medical school are why people do SMPs. They aren’t GPA repairing programs, they ARE most of the first year of medical school. So you do an SMP to prove you can handle the challenge of medical school.

Accepted a week ago! submitted a month ago. 2.93 cGPA, 2.97 sGPA, 514 MCAT, 1000 hours as ED scribe, 1000 hours synthetic research. (chemistry)

Low GPA because of 1.5-2.0 GPA 7-10 years ago when I didn’t care. Current GPA 3.93 for the past 3 years at a small state university.

My first acceptance after 45 rejections in this cycle. No interviews.

Thank God for this program.

Reactions: 3 users
Accepted a week ago! submitted a month ago. 2.93 cGPA, 2.97 sGPA, 514 MCAT, 1000 hours as ED scribe, 1000 hours synthetic research. (chemistry)

Low GPA because of 1.5-2.0 GPA 7-10 years ago when I didn’t care. Current GPA 3.93 for the past 3 years at a small state university.

My first acceptance after 45 rejections in this cycle. No interviews.

Thank God for this program.
45 rejections!! Damn. Good for you on getting an GU SMP acceptance and good luck in this program.

How many people apply to this program? Is it super competitive? I'm worried my stats are not good enough to get in :(

How many people apply to this program? Is it super competitive? I'm worried my stats are not good enough to get in :(
I think the program is slightly competitive but not as competitive as programs like Temple and Drexel if you look at class size and guarantees. Georgetown has a great reputation and is the first program of its kind but low odds of matriculating into their school. I think of the ~150+ students each year, 15-20 matriculate into GUSOM. For me the odds don’t justify the high price tag. But if you are all out of options then maybe it would be worth it to you. Plus, I’ve heard mixed reports of the support they offer. Some have said they throw you into the deep end and it’s a sink-or-swim situation. The classes you are taking are medical school classes. And you HAVE to honor nearly all of them to get the full benefit of the program. I’ve taken two medical school classes: pharm and neuroscience. They were insanely hard to honor but not too bad to pass. The reason they are so hard to honor is because they throw in some small detail questions to separate the gods from the mortals. It’s equivalent to a needle in a haystack. The sheer quantity of information you are given is the most you’ll likely ever experience. It’s often said it’s like drinking from a firehose. Maybe others will agree or disagree with me but if you are considering this program, don’t take it lightly. This is a last chance opportunity, screw it up and you are digging yourself an incredible hole of debt and odds of matriculating anywhere.

I think the program is slightly competitive but not as competitive as programs like Temple and Drexel if you look at class size and guarantees. Georgetown has a great reputation and is the first program of its kind but low odds of matriculating into their school. I think of the ~150+ students each year, 15-20 matriculate into GUSOM. For me the odds don’t justify the high price tag. But if you are all out of options then maybe it would be worth it to you. Plus, I’ve heard mixed reports of the support they offer. Some have said they throw you into the deep end and it’s a sink-or-swim situation. The classes you are taking are medical school classes. And you HAVE to honor nearly all of them to get the full benefit of the program. I’ve taken two medical school classes: pharm and neuroscience. They were insanely hard to honor but not too bad to pass. The reason they are so hard to honor is because they throw in some small detail questions to separate the gods from the mortals. It’s equivalent to a needle in a haystack. The sheer quantity of information you are given is the most you’ll likely ever experience. It’s often said it’s like drinking from a firehose. Maybe others will agree or disagree with me but if you are considering this program, don’t take it lightly. This is a last chance opportunity, screw it up and you are digging yourself an incredible hole of debt and odds of matriculating anywhere.

There are about 200 students in each class and 30-40 get in each year. Well, this has been true for at least the most recent years.

The support is there, you just have to take advantage of it. There's free tutoring available, for example. All the admins have an open door policy for anything you're struggling with, including academics.

I don't agree that you have to honor all of the classes. People have gotten into med school with 3.1/3.2 coming out of the program. You don't even need to honor everything to get into Georgetown. It'll obviously increase your chances, though.

At Georgetown, it's not hard to honor because of details (in my experience, as a detail oriented guy). I was an Anki lord the first two blocks. I "knew" everything, but that's not enough to honor at Georgetown. You have to have a deeper level of understanding.

I totally agree about the volume of information you're expected to know; it's very high. I also agree that you have to give it everything you've got if you choose to attend this program, for the exact reasons that calvangri stated.

Last edited:
It's about 200 students in each class and 30-40 get in each year.

The support is there, you just have to take advantage of it. There's free tutoring available, for example. All the admins have an open door policy for anything you're struggling with, including academics.

I don't agree that you have to honor all of the classes. People have gotten into med school with 3.1/3.2 coming out of the program. You don't even need to honor everything to get into Georgetown. It'll obviously give you a better chance, though.

At Georgetown, it's not hard to honor because of details (in my experience, as a detail oriented guy). I was an Anki lord the first two blocks. I "knew" everything, but that's not enough to honor at Georgetown. You have to have a deeper level of understanding.

I totally agree about the volume of information you're expected to know; it's very high. I also agree that you have to give it everything you've got if you choose to attend this program, for the exact reasons that calvangri stated.
Did you get accepted into GUSOM?