Georgetown SMP application thread for 2018-2019 class

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey. I think it helped for sure. I had 1 interview my first cycle and wound up having 1 DO and 7 MD interviews this cycle.

Hey, I have a question about what you used to study, i.e. which textbooks, study aids, etc. Is it worth buying something like sketchy now to get started on some of the material, or is there somewhere we can find lecture notes?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, I have a question about what you used to study, i.e. which textbooks, study aids, etc. Is it worth buying something like sketchy now to get started on some of the material, or is there somewhere we can find lecture notes?
Sketchy, Osmosis and Pathoma are great resources. There are a student Nbote-taking service called MNTS that is included in your tuition. Hope this helps!

Any new acceptances to the SMP program?

Long time lurker, just got into the program a few days ago.
Thought I'd post for future lurkers who want stats to see if they can get in.
3.3ugpa/3.22sgpa
520 mcat
Applied May 20, (application completed Jun 11 due to errors getting in transcript and stuff), accepted Jun 16

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Long time lurker, just got into the program a few days ago.
Thought I'd post for future lurkers who want stats to see if they can get in.
3.3ugpa/3.22sgpa
520 mcat
Applied May 20, (application completed Jun 11 due to errors getting in transcript and stuff), accepted Jun 16

520! You're not considering trying to apply to med schools straight out?

I just got a call on Tuesday and got into the program. Now I have to decide between Georgetown and Case Western's program. Does anyone have any insight? The big difference between the two is that Case is 2 years and Georgetown is 1 year.

Even a 520 will not erase a subpar 4 years of undergrad. The SMP seems perfect for you @mdplsss

What's your opinion on my situation? sub 3.0 GPA did 80+ credits DIY postbac at a 3.8 GPA, but only brings cGPA to 3.2 and sGPA to 3.08. MCAT is 515. Do you think SMP would help me too?

Hey guys I needed feedback on what my chances are of getting accpeted to georgetowns SMP program? My cGPA is 2.7 and sGPA is 2.3 but MCAT is 507(first try)

I just got a call on Tuesday and got into the program. Now I have to decide between Georgetown and Case Western's program. Does anyone have any insight? The big difference between the two is that Case is 2 years and Georgetown is 1 year.
Hey, congrats on the options! I'm a former SMP, but had also been accepted to Case back when I applied to grad programs. What it came down to for me was time frame (I preferred 1 year over 2) and the course structure (I wanted to be in the M1 classroom, take their exams, and be graded directly against them). I’m sure a lot of it boils down to what your app needs, and mine needed to show that I could handle medical school courses (undergrad GPA issues). I didn’t want to take the extra summer if it wasn’t necessary because I wasn’t planning to hold off on applying, I had wrapped up my research, and I didn’t intend to retake the MCAT. My good friend from undergrad had gone through Case’s program but wanted an extra year of volunteering, and applied to med school the summer between their 1st and 2nd year in the program. I believe Case’s class size is also slightly smaller than Georgetown’s. Basically, from my research prior to choosing programs, Case offered a more traditional masters, and Georgetown offered an accelerated master’s with a unique opportunity to compare myself to admitted GUSOM students. Neither offer direct linkage, and both appear to have cutoffs for offering interviews. In my experience Georgetown focused more on master’s grades rather than undergrad when offering interviews, and I appreciated this. I hope this helps a little, and remember this was from my perspective, having gone through the SMP. I hope you seek out info from a former Case student as well in order to be fully informed. Feel free to message me if you have more questions! Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Hey, congrats on the options! I'm a former SMP, but had also been accepted to Case back when I applied to grad programs. What it came down to for me was time frame (I preferred 1 year over 2) and the course structure (I wanted to be in the M1 classroom, take their exams, and be graded directly against them). I’m sure a lot of it boils down to what your app needs, and mine needed to show that I could handle medical school courses (undergrad GPA issues). I didn’t want to take the extra summer if it wasn’t necessary because I wasn’t planning to hold off on applying, I had wrapped up my research, and I didn’t intend to retake the MCAT. My good friend from undergrad had gone through Case’s program but wanted an extra year of volunteering, and applied to med school the summer between their 1st and 2nd year in the program. I believe Case’s class size is also slightly smaller than Georgetown’s. Basically, from my research prior to choosing programs, Case offered a more traditional masters, and Georgetown offered an accelerated master’s with a unique opportunity to compare myself to admitted GUSOM students. Neither offer direct linkage, and both appear to have cutoffs for offering interviews. In my experience Georgetown focused more on master’s grades rather than undergrad when offering interviews, and I appreciated this. I hope this helps a little, and remember this was from my perspective, having gone through the SMP. I hope you seek out info from a former Case student as well in order to be fully informed. Feel free to message me if you have more questions! Best of luck!

Thank you so much for the feedback! This really helped :)

Even a 520 will not erase a subpar 4 years of undergrad. The SMP seems perfect for you @mdplsss
exactly, hence my participation in the program this yr!
520! You're not considering trying to apply to med schools straight out?
my gpa is definitely too lacking, even with a good mcat. I think it can even be seen as a discrepancy (why is this applicant's mcat so drastically different? problems with work ethic? lazy? etc)

Hey guys I needed feedback on what my chances are of getting accpeted to georgetowns SMP program? My cGPA is 2.7 and sGPA is 2.3 but MCAT is 507(first try)
I had orientation a few weeks back. The program requires a 3.0 minimum to apply. However, if you show very good reason for them to believe that your track record won't carry into the SMP, they can fill out waivers for you to be considered. Every year, there seems to be a few (~1-5) out of the total ~170 kids that get in with a sub 3.0. The average sgpa and MCAT of each class for the past few yrs has been a 3.3/511ish. Unless you have a very strong upward trend with excellent personal statement and EC's, I find it hard to believe the admissions will consider you. I would suggest doing informal post bac while working + higher mcat.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi guys, long time lurker here. I'm considering applying to the Georgetown smp program (2019- 2020). The application recently opened up but I'm curious about my chances of getting into this program. My gpa is a 3.2 and a 496 MCAT. I'm retaking it again in a few weeks but I'm not sure if I should wait until late Oct. to send in my application or do it early and send them an update with my new mcat score. I did a 1 year postbac as a "career changer" and I'm a special needs teacher, worked hundreds of hours at a refugee clinic, national competitive dance experience, multiple surgical shadowing experiences and about to start a job as a MA at a surgical practice.

I applied to several DOs this cycle but they're all waiting on a 2nd mcat score and I'm honestly not sure if it'll work out this cycle.

My current MCAT score seems low for this program- do I have any chance at the moment? Thanks!

Hi guys, long time lurker here. I'm considering applying to the Georgetown smp program (2019- 2020). The application recently opened up but I'm curious about my chances of getting into this program. My gpa is a 3.2 and a 496 MCAT. I'm retaking it again in a few weeks but I'm not sure if I should wait until late Oct. to send in my application or do it early and send them an update with my new mcat score. I did a 1 year postbac as a "career changer" and I'm a special needs teacher, worked hundreds of hours at a refugee clinic, national competitive dance experience, multiple surgical shadowing experiences and about to start a job as a MA at a surgical practice.

I applied to several DOs this cycle but they're all waiting on a 2nd mcat score and I'm honestly not sure if it'll work out this cycle.

My current MCAT score seems low for this program- do I have any chance at the moment? Thanks!
I would say apply. You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. They may see something in your application that makes you pop and if they believe that you have a real shot at getting into medical school, they'll admit you. Also, they let you know what your weaknesses are and will advise you to improve them either before, during, or after the program, in the case of an MCAT retake. You do have A LOT of great experiences. Roll the dice and see what happens.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would say apply. You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. They may see something in your application that makes you pop and if they believe that you have a real shot at getting into medical school, they'll admit you. Also, they let you know what your weaknesses are and will advise you to improve them either before, during, or after the program, in the case of an MCAT retake. You do have A LOT of great experiences. Roll the dice and see what happens.

I think I'll do it! Thank you for the encouragement! I was hesitating initially because reading through this whole thread, I didn't come across anyone with a very low mcat so I thought it was unheard of. But I'll give it a shot and inform them of an upcoming exam. Thanks!

I'm a current student at the SMP, and we have a pretty light block right now, so I'm down to answer any questions anyone may have!
Sorry to bring back this thread.
Any thoughts on my chances at this SMP?? My stats are kind of low but I have good research and clinical hours.
I have a 3.07 CGPA and 3.00 for science courses. Took the MCAT about 4 months ago and got a 508.

Sorry to bring back this thread.
Any thoughts on my chances at this SMP?? My stats are kind of low but I have good research and clinical hours.
I have a 3.07 CGPA and 3.00 for science courses. Took the MCAT about 4 months ago and got a 508.
I think you have a shot. Apply and see what happens.

I wanted to get an opinion. I have a 3.55cGPA, 3.45sGPA, and a 501 MCAT and a URM. Would I have a shot at getting into the program or do I have to push the MCAT up still cuz I know on the site they prefer a 507+? I applied this cycle and got into 2 DO schools but im having second thoughts about going DO. Idk what to do its a tough choice. Im also curious, what percentage of your SMP class got into Georgetown Med? I heard it was a low 10%.

Last edited:
I wanted to get an opinion. I have a 3.55cGPA, 3.45sGPA, and a 501 MCAT and a URM. Would I have a shot at getting into the program or do I have to push the MCAT up still cuz I know on the site they prefer a 507+? I applied this cycle and got into 2 DO schools but I really dont wanna be a ****ing DO. Idk what to do its a tough choice. Im also curious, what percentage of your SMP class got into Georgetown Med? I heard it was a low 10%.
Why the hell would you apply to DO schools if you wouldn't attend? Take the acceptance and run with it. Plenty of people would give an arm and a leg to be in your shoes.

I wanted to get an opinion. I have a 3.55cGPA, 3.45sGPA, and a 501 MCAT and a URM. Would I have a shot at getting into the program or do I have to push the MCAT up still cuz I know on the site they prefer a 507+? I applied this cycle and got into 2 DO schools but im having second thoughts about going DO. Idk what to do its a tough choice. Im also curious, what percentage of your SMP class got into Georgetown Med? I heard it was a low 10%.

I will say as someone who graduated from this program last year, that if you want to keep options open for more competitive specialties such as surgery, ophthalmology, ENT, Derm, etc then you might want to go MD and avoid DO. Also, in my class it was about a 10% acceptance to Georgetown and about a 50% acceptance nationwide. Also, Georgetown is not all it is cracked up to be so don’t be dead set on that med school.

As someone who was formerly in the SMP, I can safely say that SMP performance and MCAT are NOT as important as one may think. Similarly to the overall med school admissions process they will choose who they feel is the best fit for their school. If that is you then great but if not then don’t worry about it. Also, as someone who is elsewhere and quite happy, don’t put all of your eggs into the Georgetown basket. They are a good school but there are other places you will be equally as happy at if not more so.

Hello! I was accepted into this program for the 2019-2020 school year. I was wondering what options do I have to pay for this program? Is my only option loans? :(

So I have a question regarding my chances to get into medical school as an international student at an SMP. I have done all my schooling including my bachelors in the U.S and this past application cycle was not good to me at all--no interviews. I am considered an international student as I do not have my green card yet.

I got into Georgetown SMP for this coming year and I wanted to ask previous international students at Georgetown who have done the SMP and whether it was successful for them or not?

Also as a general question, my mcat is a 507 after my second try and Im not sure if I should take it again as a third attempt before the SMP starts or not. I really want to atleast apply to a few schools right as the SMP starts

So I have a question regarding my chances to get into medical school as an international student at an SMP. I have done all my schooling including my bachelors in the U.S and this past application cycle was not good to me at all--no interviews. I am considered an international student as I do not have my green card yet.

I got into Georgetown SMP for this coming year and I wanted to ask previous international students at Georgetown who have done the SMP and whether it was successful for them or not?

Also as a general question, my mcat is a 507 after my second try and Im not sure if I should take it again as a third attempt before the SMP starts or not. I really want to atleast apply to a few schools right as the SMP starts

If you are an international student then you will be treated as such regardless of where you did your undergrad or Master’s. The fact of the matter is that US new schools will always heavily prefer domestic students. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but many of my friends from my year in the SMP who were international never wound up matroculating at an MD school but did get into a DO school. At this point with your MCAT score you will be likely to get a DO spot if you do well though in the SMP.