Georgia Applicants 2009 - MCG, Emory, Morehouse, Mercer, PCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys, do you know if its' absolutely required to fill out the extra LOR sheet that comes with the MCG app? I've asked once but didn't really get a straightforward reply, and have asked again and am waiting for a reply. (I know their busy, so that's okay). I submitted my LORs via packet (interfolio) a while ago, and have not been marked as complete.

Members don't see this ad.

Mercer's interview is open.

Letters sent through Interfolio are fine.

Hey guys, do you know if its' absolutely required to fill out the extra LOR sheet that comes with the MCG app? I've asked once but didn't really get a straightforward reply, and have asked again and am waiting for a reply. (I know their busy, so that's okay). I submitted my LORs via packet (interfolio) a while ago, and have not been marked as complete.

you are required to have a LOR by a physician. If you had one in your interfolio, I think that would be sufficient, just call and get it sorted.

Members don't see this ad :)

i didnt have a letter cover sheet and they said that was fine... its just preferred

as for the letter from physician it is NOT required but highly recommended....

and if ure reg decision, no one has been marked complete... they wont update ure status until the letter have been scanned/put into ure file which wont happen until late aug/sept (after this edp rush).... i would suggest calling them and asking if ure letters have been received (this is what i did and they told me)

hope that helps!

i didnt have a letter cover sheet and they said that was fine... its just preferred

as for the letter from physician it is NOT required but highly recommended....

and if ure reg decision, no one has been marked complete... they wont update ure status until the letter have been scanned/put into ure file which wont happen until late aug/sept (after this edp rush).... i would suggest calling them and asking if ure letters have been received (this is what i did and they told me)

hope that helps!

yeah, the actual language says "preferred, but not required, that ..."

Yeah, thanks for the info guys. I do have a LOR from a physician, and I e-mailed them to update my file with it. Hopefully they remembered!

(I am marked complete right now, btw.)

do you guys have some sort of online status check? I sooo wish we had that. We had to call and have them check to see if we were complete. For an office that always complains about not having enough people/time, they sure wasted a lot checking individual files.

do you guys have some sort of online status check? I sooo wish we had that. We had to call and have them check to see if we were complete. For an office that always complains about not having enough people/time, they sure wasted a lot checking individual files.

I think so. They give us info on when and whether we've submitted the secondary app, and whether they've received our letters of rec. I assume that when the letters turn to 'received' and give a date that our app is complete.

Any GA Techs get accepted to Med school?? I would like to know your profile>!>!>(*^&%%#%@

just got an interview for september 3rd at MCG!!!!!

Good luck to everyone interviewing tomorrow at Mercer.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if Mercer has setup any interviews other than for this week? Are they making interview calls every week or just once a month? Thanks

I second the good luck to all Mercer interviewees tomorrow!

Also about the interviews. I got the impression that they will be interviewing weekly through late september.

They said that the admissions team only meets biweekly. Does anyone have an idea of when that meeting date is? (ie Thursdays, tuesday, etc)

So how was everyone's interviews at Mercer today?

I second that question... Congrats to the few of you who are finished!

Also, how did y'all respond to the tornado warning on campus today?!? My luck is a tornado will come during my interview!

We all need to add to Mercer's interview database too. It is looking kinda bare!!

Interviews were awesome...fellow applicants awesome....Mercer awesome...glamqueen - tired.

Seriously, though - you guys will love it. I had great faculty interviews, Mary Putnam and Dr. Clifton are great, and Mercer is awesome. I absolutely loved it.

Good luck all Thursday interviewers!

Adcom - from what I understand - they are meeting next Wednesday. I think they meet in the evening specifically. And admission is rolling, so there is a potential of hearing something even as soon as next week.

You guys will love it - the interviews were very relaxed and friendly, and the school is just awesome. I just loved it. I'm sure the others will echo similar replies.

Tornado stuff - honestly - I know it happened, but I really didn't even notice. I slept through last night's sirens even. I think I was just so focused on everything else - it wasn't a huge deal.

Oh, another comment - the med center is really cool. It just "felt" like a great teaching hospital. The students we met were great, and I just liked the environment.
Again, can't say enough good things about Mercer. You guys will just love it. :)

Did I say "awesome" enough...geez...sorry! I'm too tired to come up with more adjectives!

Thanks for the insight Glamqueen! I am really looking forward to my interview. I only hope it will be as "awesome" as yours was!

Is anybody else complete at Morehouse?

Glamqueen is right. Today was a great interview day. I think the co-applicants really reinforced the fact that I have chosen the correct medical school. I truly look forward to working with the people I interviewed with (applicants, students, and faculty) and hopefully many of 'you' as well.

Mercer is an awesome school and I hope when you interview you decide that for yourself as well. Mercer is not right for everyone... but it is for some of us! Myself included.

Good luck to the rest of you. I think you will really enjoy the experience.

Last edited:
The more time I spent at Mercer during the interview day the more I wanted to go to school there. Everyone was extremely friendly from the admissions staff to the faculty to the students and the applicants. I can't imagine attending anywhere else at this point.

glamqueen, ruhler, and Doctor D are all right on. Mary and Dr. Clifton were as friendly as ever, my interviews were great, the students were very accomodating and helpful, and my co-applicants were an amazing group of people

It really was the day of the SDNers, as 5 of 7 of us Tuesday interviewees are regular posters on this thread!

Good luck to all you Thursday interviewees, and good luck to my fellow interview group applicants come next Thursday/Friday!

Regular you say! You need to get over 50 pots.. hehe..

So we're close to 500 posts before anyone has even been accepted. I wonder if we'll break 550 or 600?

:)

Is anyone else happy to see the sun out today?

I definitely had a great experience as well yesterday. I really enjoyed talking to all other applicants. :) It was great meeting people whom I only knew through SDN. Good luck everyone!

The interview was great. I wouldn't say it's stress-free because it's still medical school interview. But, the interviewers, for the most part, want to know you as a person and will not try to trick you with difficult questions.

About Mercer, I really liked the family-like atmosphere at Mercer and the friendly students and faculty members. I think it's a great school if your learning style suits PBL and you follow Mercer's missions. :love:

Regular you say! You need to get over 50 pots.. hehe..

So we're close to 500 posts before anyone has even been accepted. I wonder if we'll break 550 or 600?

:)

Is anyone else happy to see the sun out today?

alright, alright...semi-regular

but where's that sun? all clouds in NW atlanta...

The sun is semi-out here in Augusta.

sunrise_over_mediterranean_sea.jpg

This is where my mind is today...

Hey all fellow Mercer EDP post-interviewees congrats on a successful day. I interview tomorrow and I was wondering if any of you had any questions that came out of left field that threw you off your game? Also, is it a one on one meeting with Dr. Clifton?

I'm glad so many of you had a great time while interviewing with Mercer. It seems like whatever school we applied for EDP (whether it was MCG or Mercer), the interview day served to truly reaffirm our decision to apply to that particular school. It is an awesome feeling indeed!!!!!!!!!!!!

Paz,
Alex

PS - Go Dawgs!!!!!!!! I'll be going to the UGA/GSU game this Saturday. Anyone else?

PS - Go Dawgs!!!!!!!! I'll be going to the UGA/GSU game this Saturday. Anyone else?

Oh Yeah I'll be there!! I just have to find a ticket...

The game should be a good way to relax after my interview tomorrow!

I was asked about what book I read, then what book I read before that, and then the book before that...so, if you aren't a reader, that might have thrown you.

However, I love to read and whenever I have a break from MCAT/class etc., I head to the library and check out books. I also never return them. This drives my husband crazy!

But, I am hoping I gave some good answers. One of the books I mentioned happened to be a very "popular" book to list for questions like this (however, I really did read it recently), but also a very difficult read. I got through it, but I wasn't a fan of the book. My interviewer seemed to agree with me for similar reasons, so that was comforting, as I was a little nervous to say it wasn't something I enjoyed reading.

I would make sure to be ready for questions like this perhaps? I understand why they ask, though. Med school is full of reading. I do agree it is important to read anyway.

Good luck guys!!!!

Thanks glamqueen. I do remember getting that question. I can't say that I LOVE reading but since I received that question I have read a couple of books just in case they ask again.

just letting people know mercer is calling for second batch of interviews, I got one today.:thumbup:

CONGRATULATIONS! You will love it. Mercer is just really really wonderful!

Congrats LJH! And thanks for the information Glamqueen!

I also had my interviews on the 26th and everything was pretty stress-free. The faculty, medical students, and other applicants were great. I was positive about Mercer beforehand, but Tuesday reassured me that it is the place for me.

Just out of curiosity, what campus are you other applicants that interview on Tuesday (26th) interested in going to Mercer medical if you get in? (Macon, Savannah, Macon 2 years/Savannah 2 years?)

Last edited:
just letting people know mercer is calling for second batch of interviews, I got one today.:thumbup:

What day did you get? It would be nice to know that for the other applicants :)

My interview is on Sept 9, but they asked me to come in next Thursday but I couldn't make it. I have had several questions as to when my file was complete so here it is Aug 10. I wouldn't worry if you didn't get a call yet Mary told me they were running way behind.

good luck

I also had my interviews on the 26th and everything was pretty stress-free. The faculty, medical students, and other applicants were great. I was positive about Mercer beforehand, but Tuesday reassured me that it is the place for me.

Just out of curiosity, what campus are you other applicants that interview on Tuesday (26th) interested in going to Mercer medical if you get in? (Macon, Savannah, Macon 2 years/Savannah 2 years?)

I have put a lot of thought into that question. I have visited both campuses and talked with the students at both. Both locations have their pros and cons. On Tuesday I was told by one of the students that he thought the clerkship years in Macon were better (although he has not been to Savannah for clerkships). The guys in Savannah said that their campus was better. Bottom line, EVERYONE was happy with the choice they made - you really can't go wrong.

For me, splitting it up is not really an option since I have to consider my family. I really like Savannah but I can't even begin to entertain that thought until I get a decision as to whether or not my dreams came true. (Keeping my mind busy till next week).

I really, really wanted to go. I had a student ticket lined up and everything, but we have two tests in the two weeks following this weekend, and I decided to go to the SC game in Columbia instead. Hope you have fun! :luck: Call 'em for me!

I'm leaning towards Macon, because I've really liked the school and MCCG during my visits, the BMP teachers have years of experience, and I know for certain that there are opportunities for students to work in surgical research, in which I am very interested. I will visit Savannah if accepted, though, so I can make an informed decision (and maybe relax and do some fishing or play some golf there if I have the time :D).

Applying EDP is like asking a girl (or a guy, for you ladies) you really like out on a date. You might have some idea she likes you, but there's still the possibility that she says "no", and you're left heartbroken. I really enjoyed my interviews, and felt like I "clicked" with my interviewers, but the uncertainty is staggering. Keeping my fingers crossed...

You guys were right, the Mercer interview was pretty laid back! I absolutely loved everything about it. It was neat seeing a few SDN'ers there as well (although not as many as was there on Tuesday).

I finally got my rejection letter from last year's waitlist at MCG. I came in after work and saw a MCG letter sitting on the kitchen table. I read the first few lines and thought it was for the 2009 class. Then I realized that it said it was for the entering class of 2008.

Whew, that was scary. I told my wife not to do that to me again.. lol. I think she's working against me! jk.

Yah! I got an interview in a week and a half. Maybe I still have a chance of getting in this year.

They asked me if I wanted to interview at savannah or macon and I picked Macon.