Georgia Applicants 2009 - MCG, Emory, Morehouse, Mercer, PCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm an out of state student applying to Morehouse and I was wondering what the Georgia residents know about the chances for out of state students there. I tanked my first MCAT and am retaking it on Friday. My fiance is going to school in Georgia fall 09 and we would really like to stay together if possible. Anything you know would be great. Thanks! =)

Members don't see this ad.

Morehouse is a private school so your chances should not be hurt by being out of state. As long as you meet their mission statement which is very specific, you shouldn't have a problem.

Morehouse is a private school so your chances should not be hurt by being out of state. As long as you meet their mission statement which is very specific, you shouldn't have a problem.
I think something like half their class last year was from ga though...?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think something like half their class last year was from ga though...?

Mercer is a private school and 100% of their class comes from Georgia. However, three of the other four Georgia med schools (Emory, Morehouse, GA-PCOM) take out of staters. I don't know that there's a set number. I'd assume Emory takes the most from out of state. When I applied to Morehouse, if you were a GA resident, your best chance for being favored was applying EDP. However, 50% of the overall class sounds about right.

have you checked the MSAR? I know that this data is either in the MSAR or USNews. Look through them @ barnes & noble. Lots of good info.

Last edited:

Last edited:
I think GA could be the slowest of all the states to get stuff out lol! I applied to 21 schools- and have heard from 13 of them already- sadly I haven't gotten stuff from Mercer or MCG and Emory is down til end of Aug :(

Miss Putnam is out sick today so it looks like we will wait until next week for the secondary.

Miss Putnam is out sick today so it looks like we will wait until next week for the secondary.

That's shocking that the secondary is still not out. When is it due? MCG was August 1st?

Last edited:
Hey. Is anyone who is applying to Morehouse gotten the secondary app yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
Not to contradict you GAdoc, because you know I think your cool :cool:, but I spoke to Mary Putnam about the MCAT cutoff and she said it would be at minimum 24, possibly 25. At the time they had not decided but I confirm through her that the minimum last cycle was indeed 24. She did not mention any section requirement, like at least an 8 on all three, so I would not worry about that. However I feel that as long as you make the cut off the MCAT is not that big of a deal. Especially at Mercer. They really look at the whole applicant and evaluate in that manner. I really think the MCAT is one of those hoops that as long as you make it through you will be just fine.

Since there are other tests to be taken before you become a doctor, someone studied the correlation between MCAT scores and Step 1 scores. This is why the admissions people care about the score.

Step 1 is very important and has a passing number (All of the Georgia schools do well).

Hey Everyone, just giving a quick shout out that I'll be applying EDP to MCG this year. Just curious, but does anyone what the timeline for EDP admissions is, as in when you can expect the secondary, interview, etc? Thanks for the help!

Hey Everyone, just giving a quick shout out that I'll be applying EDP to MCG this year. Just curious, but does anyone what the timeline for EDP admissions is, as in when you can expect the secondary, interview, etc? Thanks for the help!

the secondary is already out and due Aug 1.... decision in october... u should probably call admissions to make sure u get a secondary fast

Hey,

Two of us that are on here applying for EDP have received a secondary already. However, we were complete (AMCAS) sometime in June. As for the rest, I looked at last years thread and it seemed that people were interviewing mid-August through mid-September (they had ~160 applicants and granted ~78 acceptances via EDP). I don't remember where I saw this information though. People were hearing from 1 week post-interview until the end of September.

Good luck!

If you have any other questions feel free to PM me.

Any word from Emory?

I got this email from emory...

" We have received your verified application data from AMCAS.

The 2009 Emory Supplemental Application website is scheduled to open by the end of August. As soon as the site is open, we will send you more details. All verified applicants will be invited to complete the Emory Supplemental Application.

In the meantime, you may have your letters of recommendation sent to us. We will keep them on file until your supplemental application is submitted. (We will also accept letters that have been posted electronically with VirtualEvals or Interfolio. We do not need to receive a hard copy of letters that are posted electronically.) "

good luck!

soooo I read through the thread and I'm still unsure.....

Have any NON-EDP MCG applicants received a secondary?

soooo I read through the thread and I'm still unsure.....

Have any NON-EDP MCG applicants received a secondary?

nope just an email saying they got my primary and once I received the secondary they would allow 2 weeks for completion... it also talked about changes in the process for this year

nope just an email saying they got my primary and once I received the secondary they would allow 2 weeks for completion... it also talked about changes in the process for this year

the nonedp secondary will be released in august

Last edited:
Haven't checked in but I think we are all in the same boat. They switched to a new company to handle their secondaries and are having some problems with them. That is the word.

Does anyone know what the letters requirement for Morehouse is? I can't seem to find it on the supplemental or on their website...

Last edited:
Mercer just sent an email and their secondary may be delayed all the way to July 31st. I am going camping for the remainder of the week so that is actually good news for me!

That's crazy! No news from MCG on the EDP front yet... So, maybe Mercer is not really far behind the norm? I think both schools start interviews in mid-August. 8-10 students/day and maybe 100 students= 5 weeks total?

Last edited:
From what I have read I think Mercer starts interviewing in early September. How many each day I don't know but I would imagine that you can assume about half of MCG on the numbers. I think Georgia is just late in everything!! haha. That would be a quick turnaround if MCG interviews in August and y'all haven't heard anything yet.

I've interviewed twice at MCG in the last two cycles and both times I had about a weeks notice. When I went back and read the EDP notes on the last years thread, people were getting interviewed in mid-August through September at MCG and were hearing ~1 week after the interview. Since they had ~140 applicants EDP and took 78, it must be quicker than during the regular season.

Now I'm just experiencing the waiting part of the 'hurry up and wait' process. Hopefully since I got in my secondary already for EDP at MCG I'll be hearing back relatively soon. I received an email on July 17 from them letting me know that they had received my completed secondary. Best of luck to all. Have patience and drink a beer.

Paz,
Alex

Residency letter for Mercer - anybody done this yet? I'm going tomorrow to the courthouse in my county to see who I need to get to do this. Any suggestions on how this works? Do I have to sit around and wait or is it a quick in-and-out document?

Its fairly quick process. It took me about 15min but remember to get your signature notarized first because they won't do it in the probate court office.

Thanks, SurgeonGeneral! I would have done it the other way around without your helpful post. Me changing my name when I got married could have used a message board like this :)

I don't know what the rules are in your jurisdiction, but a notary isn't supposed to notarize anything without a signature. Technically they are supposed to be there to witness the oath/signature, but notarization after happens often. If you notarize an unsigned form, be sure to bring a blank one too if they tell you it won't work. Mine was notarized at the court office. I would find it difficult to belive that a judge would sign an already notarized form, and that might even get the notary in trouble.

Edit- if the judge doesn't have to sign the thing, then nevermind. I just assumed the judge had to sign too.

I don't know what the rules are in your jurisdiction, but a notary isn't supposed to notarize anything without a signature. Technically they are supposed to be there to witness the oath/signature, but notarization after happens often. If you notarize an unsigned form, be sure to bring a blank one too if they tell you it won't work. Mine was notarized at the court office. I would find it difficult to belive that a judge would sign an already notarized form, and that might even get the notary in trouble.

Edit- if the judge doesn't have to sign the thing, then nevermind. I just assumed the judge had to sign too.
Last year I just showed up to the probate court, had the judge sign the thing, and then I mailed it in. I dont remember anything about having Mercer's form notarized before hand or after. I'm pretty sure the judge I saw stamped everything

In Gwinnett County you have to submit it to the clerk and wait 2-5 days to get it mailed out. I guess some counties are different these days? That was last year's application

I just got Morehouse's secondary. If anyone wants to know what the essay question is let me know :)

Hey guys, I went in Gwinnett today to do the certificate of residency. I actually had my signature section notarized (had to sign in front of the notary), and then I went to the Superiour Ct area where they emailed a judge who was free who came down and signed my form in person and then stamped it. Then they afixed the official Superiour Ct seal on it. Then I was done. It was pretty easy, and the Judge who signed mine was actually really nice.

Good luck!

Hey guys, I went in Gwinnett today to do the certificate of residency. I actually had my signature section notarized (had to sign in front of the notary), and then I went to the Superiour Ct area where they emailed a judge who was free who came down and signed my form in person and then stamped it. Then they afixed the official Superiour Ct seal on it. Then I was done. It was pretty easy, and the Judge who signed mine was actually really nice.

Good luck!

glad you didn't have any trouble. I never had much problem with timewasters for secondaries (where do you see yourself...), but I was always hotheaded about technicalities that delayed my applications.

For all those who eventually get an MCG interview, don't cancel your Mercer interview. Rather than better or worse, MCG and Mercer are just different. Very different. If you are staying in Georgia I suggest you experience both.

I have never filled out a certification of residency before. Does the person fill out the information like how long you have been a resident or does the judge fill it in?..

if you come from a "rural" place (gilmer county) in ga, would that gain any points with the adcoms? And that you intend on applying for the Country Doctor Scholarship?

I dont mean to sound neurotic, but i was curious and the search didnt come up with much.

if you come from a "rural" place (gilmer county) in ga, would that gain any points with the adcoms? And that you intend on applying for the Country Doctor Scholarship?

I dont mean to sound neurotic, but i was curious and the search didnt come up with much.

Mercer would eat it up like a bag of potato chips :)

Ha! Surely I'm not talking to a fellow "Gilmer Countian"? Or maybe you were just using my home county as an example.

Anyway, I wouldn't count on anything in particular giving you points with Mercer's adcom. The fact that you come from a rural and/or underserved area is supposed to matter, but often it doesn't seem to. I know the new dean of admissions (Dr. Clifton) is pretty serious about Mercer being proactive in recruiting students from underserved areas...but lets remember, he's not the one who actually makes the final decision.

Each member of the ADCOM has their own idea about what makes the ideal candidate. For some, being from a rural area is very important. For others, it may not be as important.

Anyway, let me know if you're actually from Gilmer Co. My family has been in Gilmer since the 1800s.

Thx guys! I guess it could only help you

But gadoc I kinda am.... Check your pm's

lol @ hillbillies. The lowcountry is where it's at! Savannah is my one true love and I am leaving :confused: when I could have gone to Memorial

no regrets...

you dont hit hillbilly country until atleast kentucky/west virgina....

were all rednecks in GA, just different breeds lol

you dont hit hillbilly country until atleast kentucky/west virgina....

were all rednecks in GA, just different breeds lol

That's definately true for the most part. However, its fun to pick out the different "breed" based on college. For example:

Berry College: the ideal male student is the lanky "I Just Finished Rock Climbing" type who lives off of granola, carries a Nalgene bottle at all times, and wears only Northface clothing with Patagonia sandles (whether summer or winter).

Georgia Southern (or any Georgia school with the following fraternities: KA, Sigma Nu, SAE, etc): the ideal male student is the reasonably fit "neo-Zack Morris" type who wears khaki shorts that must come no lower than mid-thigh with tucked in polo shirt, loafers WITHOUT socks (that is very important) and to top it all off sunglasses with the rubber strap to keep them from flying off.

Anybody else have a different opinion?

That's definately true for the most part. However, its fun to pick out the different "breed" based on college. For example:

Berry College: the ideal male student is the lanky "I Just Finished Rock Climbing" type who lives off of granola, carries a Nalgene bottle at all times, and wears only Northface clothing with Patagonia sandles (whether summer or winter).

Georgia Southern (or any Georgia school with the following fraternities: KA, Sigma Nu, SAE, etc): the ideal male student is the reasonably fit "neo-Zack Morris" type who wears khaki shorts that must come no lower than mid-thigh with tucked in polo shirt, loafers WITHOUT socks (that is very important) and to top it all off sunglasses with the rubber strap to keep them from flying off.

Anybody else have a different opinion?

:thumbup:

:laugh:
squidbillies.jpg

UGA - shaggy hair that must be swooshed to one side constantly. Almost identical to GA southern and drive trucks or big land rover type SUVs with the browning camo logo on the back window, when they have never been hunting. Another thing is the must have camo UGA hat.

Have you noticed when people come back from there (GA southern and UGA) that they all the sudden have a huge (almost forced) southern accent that they didn't have before?

agreed. Southern & UGA = very similar, but at southern you must wear the obligatory fish hook on your baseball cap.

I know we don't get many med students from there, but SCAD students are very interesting. Average student: pink hair, only shops at Earth Fare or similar shops (but frequents Starbucks anyway), refers to the typical UGA/Southern student as "fake" (actually, refers to everyone without pink hair as "fake"). Listens to Bjork and international music, and can't stop talking about Yoga.