Georgia Residency Determination Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The_JLK

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Just a quick question about how you think my state residency would be classified by the likes of Mercer and MCG. I grew up in a small town in GA and left upon high school graduation to attend college in CT. Immediately after college graduation in 2019, I spent probably 6-7 months working for an old professor, a service job, and a job with a local company (all in old college town in CT). In August 2020, a little more than a year after graduating undergrad, I enrolled as a post-bacc at a local university to finish my medical school per-requisites and improve my GPA. I'll finish all of these courses in the Fall of 2021 and intend to take an additional 10-12 credits in the spring of 2022 while working as close to full-time as possible as a research assistant in a lab I currently volunteer with. I'll be applying in the spring/summer of 2022 for Fall 2023 matriculation and have considered moving to Atlanta during this year prior to matriculation to both be closer to family and "bolster" my GA residency claim (not sure if this is a good idea or not).

My question is this: how would Mercer and MCG (my top choice) classify my state residency? In my head, I've always considered myself a GA resident (not that this counts for anything at all). I have a GA driver's license, the car I drive is registered in GA, I vote in GA, my family all resides in GA, etc. You get the idea. I'm just concerned that these schools will look at my application and decide that I have more ties to CT than GA at this point (e.g. all of my clinical, non-clinical, research activities are based in CT). What do you all think?

Members don't see this ad.

No you're fine, especially since you have proof of domicile (I forget which school asks you to upload a driver's license). Permanent address, DL, state taxes, etc. for GA? You're a GA resident.

I was in a similar situation and was able to get into my state school as an IS student so you should be fine!