Getting a B in a post-bacc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nina212

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

My annual GPAs from my undergrad are the following- 1st year: 1.95 (only took 6 classes in total) 2nd year: 3.35 3rd year: 3.94 4th year: 4.0 Cumulative GPA: 3.27. Right now I’m doing a postbacc where I am just taking medical prerequisites, except for bio which I already took. I am worried about my physics class and I wanted to know if I were to get a B in one of my
post-bac classes would that ruin my chances of admission to med school?

Members don't see this ad.

A single bad grade, even an F, has never ruined anyone's chances. Your trend is great and your GPA after your disastrous first year is very decent. I'm sure you have a compelling story to match. Just keep doing what you are doing, and resist the urge to obsess on a single class. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
A single bad grade, even an F, has never ruined anyone's chances. Your trend is great and your GPA after your disastrous first year is very decent. I'm sure you have a compelling story to match. Just keep doing what you are doing, and resist the urge to obsess on a single class. Good luck!
Thank you so much! And the reason I am worried is because my first and second year GPAs include some C’s and D’s. I haven’t gotten anything less than A- from third year onward, but I don’t know if I have proved I am capable of getting high grades just yet and I don’t want physics to screw me over.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I get it, but, honestly, you are fine. Whether it was luck or good planning, pulling the plug after only 6 classes your first year totally limited the damage. 3.35 the second year isn't terrible, and your GPA is fantastic since then. You have already proven yourself. You just need to keep it up, and one grade isn't going to undo the trend, no matter it is. A B is nothing to be ashamed of in any case.

Hello,

My annual GPAs from my undergrad are the following- 1st year: 1.95 (only took 6 classes in total) 2nd year: 3.35 3rd year: 3.94 4th year: 4.0 Cumulative GPA: 3.27. Right now I’m doing a postbacc where I am just taking medical prerequisites, except for bio which I already took. I am worried about my physics class and I wanted to know if I were to get a B in one of my
post-bac classes would that ruin my chances of admission to med school?
One B??
Nope

Reactions: 1 users
One B??
Nope
Sorry I should’ve also mentioned the classes I am taking are: general chemistry, physics, organic chemistry, and biochem in my post-bacc, which are spaced out over 2 years. So with taking such few credits, will a B hold more weight as a negative thing?

Sorry I should’ve also mentioned the classes I am taking are: general chemistry, physics, organic chemistry, and biochem in my post-bacc, which are spaced out over 2 years. So with taking such few credits, will a B hold more weight as a negative thing?
I really wouldn't expect a busy admissions committee to spend time parsing your transcript to find out how many credits you were taking, compare it to your EC's / other responsibilities, in order to evaluate if the B really should've been a higher grade. That's much too time consuming and not really all that useful for them to do. What they are looking for is: 1. do you have the academic abilities to make it through a rigorous training program 2. do you have the drive / will to make the sacrifices this field requires and 3. do you have the experience and traits that lend themselves to becoming an excellent clinician. Taken in that light, its easier to see that the occasional B won't substantially change the trajectory of that narrative. Best of luck to you!

It’s fine but don’t make it a self fulfilling prophecy

remind yourself that you will get an A.