Getting a Job without a recruiter

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

epiepishockMD

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have heard that recruiters skim off the top, meaning they take a percentage of what I would have gotten paid if I get a job directly.

Is it possible to get a job without going through the recruiter? Places like Kaiser, Weatherby, Team Health, USACS, etc all have recruiters at ACEP. They all ask for a CV. Should I just not talk to them and go to the medical directors directly?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
That’s for indepent recruiters if you are working with a CMG you only need to talk to their recruiters

Reactions: 1 users
So I have heard that recruiters skim off the top, meaning they take a percentage of what I would have gotten paid if I get a job directly.

Is it possible to get a job without going through the recruiter? Places like Kaiser, Weatherby, Team Health, USACS, etc all have recruiters at ACEP. They all ask for a CV. Should I just not talk to them and go to the medical directors directly?

If you want a job with any CMG, then you talk to their recruiters. They do not charge you, they work for the company.

Independent recruiters are who to avoid, generally in EM they are not needed either

Members don't see this ad :)
You don’t need a recruiter -you need the internet, which you clearly have. There are EM Jobs everywhere! There are more in underserved areas and more in places docs don’t like to live, but they are there. Don’t believe the “less pay” hype either! I switched from a major mid-south practice with a heavy emphasis on RVUs to a PNW rural hospital where i get paid 40% more, no RVU, but bonus on productivity. It is rural-ish.

It is up to you. First, find out where you want to live (family, weather, etc.) Second, establish a reasonable commute (for you.) Third - just go find your job. The eastern seaboard is a bit saturated, the West and mid-west is way more open and lucrative. Some locums companies like TH will compensate your travel - and it’s easy. But that involves flying, hotels etc.... Locums or 1099 Jobs don’t pay insurance or taxes either.

Look, if you are EM trained, BC or BE, there are plenty of jobs. I found mine because i liked a particular area of the country!

Don’t pay a recruiter - they assume YOU don’t understand your own value, which, out of residency, you don’t. YOU ARE EXTREMELY VALUABLE as an EP. Work where you want (ish) and get paid.

Pick up the phone and call the hospital where you want to work. Seriously - call the hospital operator and ask to the transferred either to the ED medical director or the ED secretary. Ask to speak to their medical director or get their contact information and call them directly. It's really that easy. Be persistent but polite until you get to talk to that director. You will gain a wealth of information about that group, their needs for hire, the market in their city, their competition, and just about anything else you need that a recruiter likely won't tell you because they are more focused on their commission. Also, if the place where you want to work is a CMG, often times, their director/doctors are incentivized to find providers and get a referral bonus for sending you to their recruiters. This could help you as well.

Every medical director has someone they want to replace. Every one. Be your own recruiter and get what you want. It's really that easy.

Reactions: 1 user