Getting into Med School after being Suspended in undergrad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cjones49

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I am about to be applying to medical school starting in June 2016 and I was wondering if anyone has applied with a major disciplinary record and could shed light. I was suspended after hitting another girl (EDIT: I am also female) who had pushed me into a wall at a party I was only 18 at the time and have had a great record since then and this was my only experience ever being in trouble including high school. I am wondering if my chances of getting into medical school are completely shot or if there is any way I could still get in despite this huge issue. Or if anyone has any recommendations on how to spin this story and how to best present it to medical schools. I am starting to freak out on how to put this on my application without getting my application immediately thrown out.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Rewind...

>You HIT a girl after she pushes you at a party.

>You ask if there's anyway you can spin this story (in a positive light, I'm guessing).

Natural response (if you're a male): What a *****.

Nice response: This one is REALLY going to hurt you. I don't see how you can overcome this, at least not anytime soon.

Reactions: 1 user
I can't sugar coat this, OP, you're reject bait at my school!

Hi,
I am about to be applying to medical school starting in June 2016 and I was wondering if anyone has applied with a major disciplinary record and could shed light. I was suspended after hitting another girl who had pushed me into a wall at a party I was only 18 at the time and have had a great record since then and this was my only experience ever being in trouble including high school. I am wondering if my chances of getting into medical school are completely shot or if there is any way I could still get in despite this huge issue. Or if anyone has any recommendations on how to spin this story and how to best present it to medical schools. I am starting to freak out on how to put this on my application without getting my application immediately thrown out.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think there's any way to spin this one. All you can do is be honest. Disclose the incident on AMCAS, admit that you made a mistake and that you understand that what you did was wrong. Don't make any excuses. Try to show schools (through service to others, leadership, etc.) that you actually are a responsible person despite this. Not sure how long ago this happened (sounds like it was when you were a freshman?) but the more time between the incident and when you apply, the better.

Rewind...

>You ask if there's anyway you can spin this story (in a positive light, I'm guessing).

Natural response (if you're a male): What a *****.

Nice response: This one is REALLY going to hurt you. I don't see how you can overcome this, at least not anytime soon.

I am a female who hit another female after she pushed me*

I am a female who hit another female after she pushed me*

I agree with the poster above. All you can do is report it and make it clear that you understand the severity of what you did when you were younger. Own your mistake and explain/show your maturity and growth from this incident.

I'll be real with you, physical altercations/battery is one of the more severe red flags one can have, but if you're dead set on applying next cycle, you can only try.

Yikes.
It's going to hurt your app no question. Better to take responsibility for it and own up to it rather than try to spin it.

On a sidenote: how does a suspension work at a university?? Was it for an entire semester?

Yikes.
It's going to hurt your app no question. Better to take responsibility for it and own up to it rather than try to spin it.

On a sidenote: how does a suspension work at a university?? Was it for an entire semester?
Yes one semester and I took classes at another college and worked during that whole semester. Any recommendations on the best way to take responsibility? Do I talk about it more in depth in the section about overcoming an obstacle or do I try and downplay it and leave it only for that section about University disciplinary and hopefully in interviews?

If i were looking at ur app, i wouldnt even look at it.

Unless it was self-defense.

Yes one semester and I took classes at another college and worked during that whole semester. Any recommendations on the best way to take responsibility? Do I talk about it more in depth in the section about overcoming an obstacle or do I try and downplay it and leave it only for that section about University disciplinary and hopefully in interviews?
I'm no expert on this but I would leave it to the section on disciplinary action and stick to the facts. You got into a physical altercation with another student, you understand that your actions are inexcusable, you were suspended for 1 semester, you've had time to reflect on why your behavior was wrong and have taken steps to change. I wouldn't mention anything about it being self-defense or about the fact that the other girl may have pushed you first or whatever. You don't want to sound like you're making excuses or attempting to justify what will likely be seen by adcoms as inexcusable behavior.

I wouldn't mention it in your other essays because, although you want to be honest and admit your mistake, you don't want it to be the focus of your application.

Goro, Do you have any advice coming from the knowledge you have? I am someone who would generally get into a fair amount of medical schools based on my stats and I am now considering applying to DO school as well because of this big issue, is there any other input you have?

Hey OP, I hope you get in, but I'm sorry to hear about this. It sucks that something like this can have such a huge impact on an application. You probably gave no thought and just reacted, and didn't even realize that it could hurt you down the line. Looking at it like that, I feel like someone should forgive you for it. I mean, it's not like you've done it multiple times.

Reactions: 9 users
Rewind...

Natural response (if you're a male): What a *****

Oh so because she's female its perfectly acceptable what she did?

:corny:

Members don't see this ad :)
Were you ever in a physical altercation as an older child or young teen? Maybe if you had been, you would have been better prepared to handle this situation, having previously learned the consequences and considered alternative reactions. As it was, your reaction may have been as surprising to you as it was to others... (Just a suggestion for 'spin'.)

Were you ever in a physical altercation as an older child or young teen? Maybe if you had been, you would have been better prepared to handle this situation, having previously learned the consequences and considered alternative reactions. As it was, your reaction may have been as surprising to you as it was to others... (Just a suggestion for 'spin'.)
No I wasn't ever involved in any kind of disciplinary action or altercation verbal or physical ever in my life which is why I reacted on impulse alone which I obviously deeply regret (alcohol was involved) and yes I think that is a good spin on it thank you!

Is the OPs misdemeanor really that bad? She hit someone who pushed her. Absolutely a bad choice given the situation but she was 18 and it's not like it escalated to a full on fight.....right...?

Is the OPs misdemeanor really that bad? She hit someone who pushed her. Absolutely a bad choice given the situation but she was 18 and it's not like it escalated to a full on fight.....right...?

True, but as it is most popular to say on here: if you're deciding between two applicants that are fairly even are you going to choose the one with no disciplinary background or the one who was suspended for a semester?

All the best though OP, hopefully you'll be able to overcome this.

OP what have you done since the incident? Or are you just now trying to come up with a positive spin? Did you go to some anger management sessions? How about volunteering at an abuse center or hotline? Anything to show you realize it was a big mistake besides your proclamations?

Wait, what? I don't see how this is in any way a good 'spin.' :confused:

OP, there is some golden advice here!

OP what have you done since the incident? Or are you just now trying to come up with a positive spin? Did you go to some anger management sessions? How about volunteering at an abuse center or hotline? Anything to show you realize it was a big mistake besides your proclamations?

...because I said it was perfectly acceptable, right? Not that I have a reason to explain **** to you, but I said "if you are a male" because I'm a male, and men that hit women are b*tches/p*ssies. I wouldn't call a female a b*tch.

Your reading comprehension skills are amazing.

I have done a lot in terms of volunteering and other extracurriculars however nothing specific to this incident as even the University I attend did not advise counseling as they thought it was pretty much worthless for me (even the Dean said he could tell how out of character this was) however this is a good idea and I will likely volunteer as a student counselor this semester thank you!

...because I said it was perfectly acceptable, right? Not that I have a reason to explain **** to you, but I said "if you are a male" because I'm a male, and men that hit women are b*tches/p*ssies. I wouldn't call a female a b*tch.

A person should have the right to defend themselves regardless of their attacker's gender.

OP if your story is true then that really sucks. You'll definitely have opportunity to explain the context on your app and if possible get a dean's letter to back you up.

Last edited:
Claim self defense. Figure out a way to back this claim. If you've gone to some kind of therapy or done some volunteer work, get a letter from them.

Reactions: 1 users
I would set up a meeting with your dean/someone of disciplinary status at your school and talk to them about your situation and see if they can right you a letter on how you out of character it was of you to do, how you've learned and how you have been a positive contribution to the school since..

But I would recommend applying very broad

Unfortunately I think the only thing that amends these things is time. If this is recent, you can still have the best grades/EC/LORs, but you have shown that you are not able to control yourself.

I have done some really dumb crap when I was younger (like 10 years ago around the ages of 16-18), and I'm still praying that it doesnt give me any problems. I do feel its kind of bogus that you got suspended if it went down like you said it did, but what can you do at this point other than own it.

Last edited:
this one is a tough one to bounce back from

Aw I really feel for you OP. Just say that there was a disagreement which resulted in physical altercation because you defended yourself. If you've taken an anger management class, talk about it and how you learned to avoid conflicts through compromise. FYI my close friend also got in trouble for something similar and got a couple of dental school acceptances.

You're not donezo.... although love the word. My buddy's brother was banned from a city in the US and still got into school. I also personally had disciplinary action (not violence/cheating related, but still) and got a few interviews. Own up, write how you learned, and cross your fingers.

Considering this happened (presumably) years ago, it's a bit late to claim self defense. At this point, own up to it, you made a mistake, and you've learned from it (somehow, figure it out). It wouldn't make sense to claim self defense now but not immediately after the incident.

Considering this happened (presumably) years ago, it's a bit late to claim self defense. At this point, own up to it, you made a mistake, and you've learned from it (somehow, figure it out). It wouldn't make sense to claim self defense now but not immediately after the incident.

In my experience, if students are fighting they both get suspended. Nobody really cares who started what. 9 times out of 10 there is some backstory where both students played some role leading up to the altercation anyways.

OP, that sounds like an unfair punishment and you should definitely fight it. ;)

This is technically sexist...

uh I have never gotten physical with anyone but my sister and if a female or male pushed me into a wall, I'd push them back.

OP, that sounds like an unfair punishment and you should definitely fight it. ;)

This happened years ago. There is nothing to fight at this point. How is she going to fight it? She was disciplined, spent a semester away etc.. The work now is to prove she is a different person.

You're not donezo.... although love the word. My buddy's brother was banned from a city in the US and still got into school. I also personally had disciplinary action (not violence/cheating related, but still) and got a few interviews. Own up, write how you learned, and cross your fingers.

What did he do to get banned from a city?

Hi,
I am about to be applying to medical school starting in June 2016 and I was wondering if anyone has applied with a major disciplinary record and could shed light. I was suspended after hitting another girl (EDIT: I am also female) who had pushed me into a wall at a party I was only 18 at the time and have had a great record since then and this was my only experience ever being in trouble including high school. I am wondering if my chances of getting into medical school are completely shot or if there is any way I could still get in despite this huge issue. Or if anyone has any recommendations on how to spin this story and how to best present it to medical schools. I am starting to freak out on how to put this on my application without getting my application immediately thrown out.

In PS: mention the incident as nothing but self defense.. and that things got misconstrued and wrongfully dealt by admins at the time.... Also, if u can, have a admin/faculty letter briefly mentioning ur situation as something that was wrongly death with.. while also speaking highly of u and supporting your goals to become a caring physician.... blah blah..
in ur app show maturity and growth.. U want to show that... u r now far from the person who received the dispensary record...

Talk to ur school and figure it out.. most likely they would want to work it out with u..
But yeah.. def address the issue.. cus if u don't explain what happened they can only assume the worst and question/nit pick ur app further...

GL

Would you really reject someone who tried to defend themselves?

The problem is, being a parent, I know that there are always two sides to every story.

It always boils down to "Is this somewhat we want to have in the Class of 20XX?"

But time always helps, and there are Adcom members who believe in redemption.

Would you really reject someone who tried to defend themselves?

The problem is, being a parent, I know that there are always two sides to every story.

That's fair, and I agree with that. So shouldn't a person who has been in a physical altercation be at least provided with a chance to explain their side of events, as opposed to having their application immediately discarded?

I know you have huge amounts of applicants with crystal clean records, but what if this person would just had a run of bad luck? Is it really just to disqualify them for an act of self-defense?

I said "if you are a male" because I'm a male, and men that hit women are b*tches/p*ssies. I wouldn't call a female a b*tch.

Go ahead and say that to the guy in the video below, who was being abused by a woman, had his shirt torn apart, and then was falsely accused by the woman of assault.

When the police finally determined that she was the aggressor, she was arrested, but later given a slap on the wrist and let back out.

Now ask yourself, what would have happened if a guy was the aggressor in this situation? I'm thinking a minimum 5 yr prison term, and entry into the sex offenders registry for tearing a shirt off.

What you wrote is exactly why so many men are hesitant to defend themselves in abusive relationships or in hostile encounters with women.

It's time we allow people to defend themselves.

A person should have the right to defend themselves regardless of their attacker's gender.

+1.

When we have huge numbers of applicants who don't have an arrest for a crime against a person, why take the risk?

The problem is that we're not a court of law, and no one has a right to go to medical school. Sometimes God hits the "smite"button on people.

That's fair, and I agree with that. So shouldn't a person who has been in a physical altercation be at least provided with a chance to explain their side of events, as opposed to having their application immediately discarded?

I know you have huge amounts of applicants with crystal clean records, but what if this person would just had a run of bad luck? Is it really just to disqualify them for an act of self-defense?

When we have huge numbers of applicants who don't have an arrest for a crime against a person, why take the risk?

The problem is that we're not a court of law, and no one has a right to go to medical school. Sometimes God hits the "smite"button on people.

Thank you for the explanation!