getting into Podiatry school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sjbrazier82

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My husband is wanting to apply to podiatry school he has an 18 MCAT score and a 3.8 cum gpa and 3.6 science gpa. Does he have a good chance? Is it also a good time to apply or is it a little late?

Members don't see this ad.

My husband is wanting to apply to podiatry school he has an 18 MCAT score and a 3.8 cum gpa and 3.6 science gpa. Does he have a good chance? Is it also a good time to apply or is it a little late?

I'll be honest with you, his MCAT scores are pretty low but because his GPA is fairly high, he should be able to get an interview in a few schools. However, if he does get admitted to a school - and if I was in his position, I would honestly sharpen up on my study skills and try to fix what went wrong for that MCAT. Granted, sometimes we just write bad exams - it happens. But as long as he goes into school in top study form, then he should be more than ok - and i wish him the best of luck with his endeavours.

from which college did he receive these grades?

Members don't see this ad :)
He took the MCAT twice actually. The first time his scores were

VR 4
PS 6
BIO8

2ND Time

VR 7
PS 7
BIO4

Is there any way they might compare the two since he basically reversed what he did bad on both times. He is also thinking about taking the Kaplan course and just taking the Mcat over again next year?

I have no idea why his scores are doing this. I have looked at the statistics and it said 0% increase their verbal reasoning by 4 points but he did. Also it said only 6 percent bring their bio score down by 4 points. He scored 30's on the practice tests. This is horrible, I don't know what is going on with his scores.

What was his major? Did he not take many science courses and how long has it been since he has been enrolled in them? Maybe he just took them all so long ago that he doesn't remember his stuff.

his major was pyschology but--he took all the courses necessary for allopathic medical school--that was his original plan. He has more than the courses required for podiatry in the science area. He also minored in Biology. He just finished so it hasn't been a very long time. I just don't understand, he would take 21 credit hours and get 3.9 gpa but he can't get good MCAT scores. He is thinking that the Kaplan course, which he never took, might help. Does anyone know about this? Thanks

The only good a kaplan course does is make you study the material. If you just get the books and are dedicated enough to study on your own you will be just fine and that is a lot cheaper. It sounds to me like he is just looking for any school to get into because he knows he can't do anything with a degree in psychology and there is no way he will get into an MD school.

I don't want to seem attacking. I hope that he has shadowed a podiatrist and is sure that this is what he wants to do so he won't be unhappy. Just out of curiosity I have a couple friends that are Mormon from high school and went to BYU. One went to Idaho and the other to Utah. Which one did he go to?

Getting a high GPA and doing well on the MCAT are two different things. Some people do great on MCAT and have low GPAs and vice versa like your husband. The MCAT is there to give a bottom line. Some schools might be easier than others and some harder. So it might be easier to get good grades at one school compared to another. The MCAT levels the field. So, I would have him do what he has to to improve his skills and knowledge pertaining to the MCAT. And remember that some people are smart but arent good at taking tests. If that is the case, I would advise to learn test taking skills. I used to suck at multiple choice tests and do great on free response. SO basically, I learned ways to improve my test taking skills on multiple choice tests. Hope this helps and doesnt discourage. Im sure he'll do better next time after he identifies what has been going wrong.

his major was pyschology but--he took all the courses necessary for allopathic medical school--that was his original plan. He has more than the courses required for podiatry in the science area. He also minored in Biology. He just finished so it hasn't been a very long time. I just don't understand, he would take 21 credit hours and get 3.9 gpa but he can't get good MCAT scores. He is thinking that the Kaplan course, which he never took, might help. Does anyone know about this? Thanks

I wouldn't worry too much about it. He has a very good GPA from a good university. Ya, his MCAT is low but he should still be fine at most schools. Make sure he spends time actually shadowing a pod in the OR and in clinic. And as he went to BYU, there is pretty much an unwritten rule that he has to go to DMU :)

A 3.6 science gpa from BYU is pretty darn good. To come out of those classes at BYU (especially the chemistry courses) alive is an accomplishment.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't worry too much about it. He has a very good GPA from a good university. Ya, his MCAT is low but he should still be fine at most schools. Make sure he spends time actually shadowing a pod in the OR and in clinic. And as he went to BYU, there is pretty much an unwritten rule that he has to go to DMU :)

Or AZPOD... We have tons of LDS folks here.

To the original poster,

I have a buddy who is one of the smartest guys I know. He worked 40 hours a week and finished his bachelor's degree in Biomedical Science in just under 3 years. He finished it with a 3.9 - 4.0 range. Then, he took the MCAT and did worse than you husband. He took it again and it went up but only to about a 20. I doesn't make sense to anyone. Kaplan courses do help a lot of people, though.

Good luck to you and your husband!:)

AZPOD Rocks

Tons at Samuel Merrit too or at least when I interviewed there! Is it me or does it seem like theres a large number of LDS' in the health field especially Pods and Dentistry?

BTW, just got an acceptance from Samuel Merrit, wahoo! :thumbup:
Also, they actually said that now since they are more established since the merge with Samuel Merrit, their passing board rates were 90% last yr and are aiming for 95-100% within the next yrs.

Tons at Samuel Merrit too or at least when I interviewed there! Is it me or does it seem like theres a large number of LDS' in the health field especially Pods and Dentistry?

Hey wat is this "LDS"

Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints=Mormons=LDS

Also, they actually said that now since they are more established since the merge with Samuel Merrit, their passing board rates were 90% last yr and are aiming for 95-100% within the next yrs.

Thats good news! It would be awesome if all the schools were very competitve with each other. However, it is my understanding that when a school talks about pass rate, it includes those who passed in July and those who had to take it again in October and passed. So this number can be a bit skewed. If anyone talks about pass rates, I would ask about that. Just a side note. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Thats good news! It would be awesome if all the schools were very competitve with each other. However, it is my understanding that when a school talks about pass rate, it includes those who passed in July and those who had to take it again in October and passed. So this number can be a bit skewed. If anyone talks about pass rates, I would ask about that. Just a side note. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

yes, at my DMU interview, that is what Dr. Smith told us. The pass rate last year was 100%, however, the first test rate was 96% because one student did not pass. that student tested again in october and passed, so that brought the number up 4% to 100%. when talking to schools, that seems like an important question to ask: what is your FIRST time pass rate.

i think they are taking over!!!:D

congrats on your acceptance!!

yes--my husband worked 30 hours a week and took 21 credit hours and we had a baby. So I guess the situation was very similiar. He has applied now to all the schools, so I guess we will see what happens...

Also, my husband has sent in his application to the schools. How long does it generally take for a response. Do they contact you via phone or mail?

Also, my husband has sent in his application to the schools. How long does it generally take for a response. Do they contact you via phone or mail?

He should start getting interviews within the next. I wouldn't worry all that much he will get interviews and then it just depends on his interpersonal skills. That is a stellar G.P.A. from a good school.

THey will call you on the phone first and then they will send out a letter confirming the interview etc.

Congratulations!

Some lady from the application service called today and said she had a couple questions ...My husband missed her call. Does anyone know what that is about? Did it happen to you?

board pass rate across the country was 81% for part I boards last year. Cali was about 58% after the 1st time.

Where their pants on fire at the time they were telling you this???

Thanks for the congrats! I have already cancelled my interviews at Barry and Ohio. Still have interviews at AZPOD next week and DMU the week after and Scholl week after that. :D

As for the CSPM claims about their passing rates, I asked them this question during the interview and they responded that every interviewer has asked that question. Now these are in the words of the DPM that interviewed me:

"I can see why you have concerns. It is true that we have had a rocky past and with the merge with Samuel Merrit, there have been many students, that have came out unhappy about our school. Since then we have intensified our cirriculum as things are becoming more established. The merge took place in 2002 and we graduated our first Samuel Merrit class this past May. Recently, our passing rates for the first part of boards was in the 90% and 80% for the 2nd part of boards. Now we would like a 100% passing rate but we hope to aim for 95%-100% in the near future."

So yea thats what they told me, even tho it does sound sketchy. I did ask the Pod students the same thing while I was there and they told me that things have slowly gotten better, so I guess we'll have to see :thumbup:

I just wanted to thank everyone for their input and advice. My husband ended up getting interviews to Scholl, DMU ,Temple, Barry, California, NY and AZPOD. Hopefully, the interviews go well (keeping our fingers crossed). Thank you again.

I just wanted to thank everyone for their input and advice. My husband ended up getting interviews to Scholl, DMU ,Temple, Barry, California, NY and AZPOD. Hopefully, the interviews go well (keeping our fingers crossed). Thank you again.

Good luck :thumbup:

Did he ended up getting in?

Did he ended up getting in??