GI Bill for Fellowship after Civ Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

StarboardMD

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I did 5 years AD and am in last year of civilian residency (still on IRR). I'll start a 3-year fellowship next summer. I haven't logged on to SDN in a while, and I'm suddenly seeing all these posts about using the GI bill for fellowship. During outprocessing, I was explicitly told that I didn't qualify because I took the HPSP scholarship. I seem to remember them saying that you had to sign up for it prior to leaving AD. Is it possible that I could still be eligible for some GI Bill benefits when I start fellowship?

Members don't see this ad.

I did 5 years AD and am in last year of civilian residency (still on IRR). I'll start a 3-year fellowship next summer. I haven't logged on to SDN in a while, and I'm suddenly seeing all these posts about using the GI bill for fellowship. During outprocessing, I was explicitly told that I didn't qualify because I took the HPSP scholarship. I seem to remember them saying that you had to sign up for it prior to leaving AD. Is it possible that I could still be eligible for some GI Bill benefits when I start fellowship?
You could have used it in residency if it was after your time on active duty. i.e. hpsp ->intern->gmo then out for a civ residency.

You need to enroll in Montgomery gi bill whIle on active duty to be eligible, but you should be Eligible for post-911 through the 3 years of fellowship.
I did HPSP, 3 years active duty were as a resident, separated to IRR for fellowship and I'm using my GI bill.

What was the source of your initial obligation? If the 5 years you served were a result of graduating from USMA, for example, then you wouldn't be eligible for the post-9/11 GI bill. I don't know as much about the MGIB, but - as mentioned - you do have to sign up for and pay into it ahead of time.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was HPSP. Did my time as a GMO, then started civ residency on IRR. Does it matter if I'm still on IRR? My IRR obligation will end around the same time my fellowship starts. I don't even remember the differences between the various GI bill programs, but if the Army is willing to throw some money my way, I'm more than willing to fill out some extra paperwork. Even if I do have to lose out on some money because of misinformed ACAP civilians...no surprise there.

You are still eligible for post-9/11 GI Bill. Your VA office can get you a letter of eligibility that states at what rate you can receive, based on your time in service. This will allow you to get BAH and $1000 for books, at least.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user