GI Bill for In-state tuition=In-state classification for acceptance pool?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BluePitterPatter

Reaction score
Hi all,

New here and just getting into the nitty gritty for figuring out what I want to do once I resign from active duty.

I qualify for 100% GI Bill, and I know that with the Veteran Access/Choice Accountability Act we qualify for in-state tuition at any public IHE.

My question is: does that provision only affect what you pay for tuition, or does it also lump you into the in-state applicant pool when the admissions board is deciding their acceptances?

I'm looking at vet schools, and the difference in acceptance rates between in-state and out of state folk is drastic, so if the Accountability act can qualify me as an in-state applicant for any public school I apply to...that's huge.

Anybody with experience on this?

TIA.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,

New here and just getting into the nitty gritty for figuring out what I want to do once I resign from active duty.

I qualify for 100% GI Bill, and I know that with the Veteran Access/Choice Accountability Act we qualify for in-state tuition at any public IHE.

My question is: does that provision only affect what you pay for tuition, or does it also lump you into the in-state applicant pool when the admissions board is deciding their acceptances?

I'm looking at vet schools, and the difference in acceptance rates between in-state and out of state folk is drastic, so if the Accountability act can qualify me as an in-state applicant for any public school I apply to...that's huge.

TIA.

Only take to a grain of salt,

I’ve visited / cold-called a few universities I was interested in. Of the which (given the circumstances of the outlined GI bill I also have) they claimed I would be grouped in the in-state applicant pool not just given the in-state tuition rate.

This could be an outlier on two things:
1) These said universities are VET friendly
2) These universities are in Texas with close proximity to military city USA (San Antonio).

As I did, always call ahead of time to confirm. So far it’s worked for me.

Reactions: 1 users
Only take to a grain of salt,

I’ve visited / cold-called a few universities I was interested in. Of the which (given the circumstances of the outlined GI bill I also have) they claimed I would be grouped in the in-state applicant pool not just given the in-state tuition rate.

This could be an outlier on two things:
1) These said universities are VET friendly
2) These universities are in Texas with close proximity to military city USA (San Antonio).

As I did, always call ahead of time to confirm. So far it’s worked for me.
Good to know--thanks for the info. I'll do some calling and see what they say.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all,

TIA.

Vet schools, or vet-friendly schools? Just curious

Also, check out the link in my signature below, and there is also one other great forum on the topic that is a little more specific rather than comparative.

Vet schools, or vet-friendly schools? Just curious

Also, check out the link in my signature below, and there is also one other great forum on the topic that is a little more specific rather than comparative.
Hey brother,

Thanks for the response--I probably should have clarified, but yes, I'm more interested in the "...erinary" side of vet schools, though "vet(eran) friendly" is of course a bonus. Thanks for the link--good to know about options in addition to GI bill.

Do you happen to have a link to the other forum you mentioned?

Thanks man!

Reactions: 1 user
Hey brother,

Thanks for the response--I probably should have clarified, but yes, I'm more interested in the "...erinary" side of vet schools, though "vet(eran) friendly" is of course a bonus. Thanks for the link--good to know about options in addition to GI bill.

Do you happen to have a link to the other forum you mentioned?

Thanks man!

Veterans: Anyone using VA voc rehab?

Reactions: 1 user