GI fellowship applications for 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
hey all...as other did as well, got the rejection from RWJ OVER THE WEEKEND (which made my friend's bachelor party this weekend even more "libationary")...

Also, got an email update from Howard (not participating in ERAS) who stated that they have recieved my application (sent it in like 3 months ago) and will interview apps from may through june....which means that they will likely be reviewing later on and then send out rejections and interviews in april....just a guess though...

I think this'll be an active week from NYC/Chicago/Philly prrograms...just a hunch though.

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone seen any rejections from MCW, Aurora, CPMC, Loma Linda< UCLA. I have not heard a peep out of them so far. I know that CPMC and MCW are interviewing but are they done. If anyone has anyinfo to share I would appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Respected fellowship applicants, we have all noticed disparities in the GI Fellowship Match process. Obviously things have improved considerably compared to prior years, when our predecessors used paper and pencil applications. I was considering writing a letter to one of the major GI journals / organizations bringing to light the current status of the match and how things can be made better......
A) Wouldn’t it be great if all programs reviewed applications in a specific time frame and sent out invites or rejects to ALL applicants rather than leaving several such as myself in the dark?
B) Wouldn’t it be nice if we were all given at least 2-3 weeks notice with at least one alternative interview date?
C) Don’t you wish programs who don’t participate in the Match would at least participate in ERAS (some already do) and save us from filling out those paper forms and cross checking to ensure that our letter of recommendation have reached each one?
D) Shouldn’t we be able to report programs such as JH Bayview who don’t even download our application?

This will require everyone’s cooperation. I was wondering if folks would be interested in participating in a simple survey: A suggested format is as follows:
1) AMG or IMG
2) R2/ R3 or Attending or Hepatology Fellow
3) University Hospital or community hospital
4) Percentage of interviews, Percentage or Rejects/ Percentage of no response
5) Maybe additional data such as if is the applicant a Chief or has significant research or ? visa status if IMG
If there are enough data then maybe someone in power will help streamline and standardize the process and improve the situation for our juniors.

Please let me know what you think. All comments suggestions or criticisms will be taken in the right spirit. And if you think this is a ******ed, hair-brained idea I will not waste any more of your precious time and suck it up and leave things as is.

For example take hematemesis

R2 University Program (H1-B)
Interviews - 10%, Rejects - 40%, No Response - 50%. (I know almost all of the no response programs for me have sent out interviews and some have sent out rejects)
Note: Nobody but myself and ERAS actually knows how many programs I have applied to (I thought putting percentages gives a person even more anonymity)

Interview from UCLA by e-mail just now.

Bye

respected fellowship applicants, we have all noticed disparities in the gi fellowship match process. Obviously things have improved considerably compared to prior years, when our predecessors used paper and pencil applications. I was considering writing a letter to one of the major gi journals / organizations bringing to light the current status of the match and how things can be made better......
a) wouldn't it be great if all programs reviewed applications in a specific time frame and sent out invites or rejects to all applicants rather than leaving several such as myself in the dark?
b) wouldn't it be nice if we were all given at least 2-3 weeks notice with at least one alternative interview date?
c) don't you wish programs who don't participate in the match would at least participate in eras (some already do) and save us from filling out those paper forms and cross checking to ensure that our letter of recommendation have reached each one?
d) shouldn't we be able to report programs such as jh bayview who don't even download our application?

this will require everyone's cooperation. I was wondering if folks would be interested in participating in a simple survey: A suggested format is as follows:
1) amg or img
2) r2/ r3 or attending or hepatology fellow
3) university hospital or community hospital
4) percentage of interviews, percentage or rejects/ percentage of no response
5) maybe additional data such as if is the applicant a chief or has significant research or ? Visa status if img
if there are enough data then maybe someone in power will help streamline and standardize the process and improve the situation for our juniors.

please let me know what you think. All comments suggestions or criticisms will be taken in the right spirit. And if you think this is a ******ed, hair-brained idea i will not waste any more of your precious time and suck it up and leave things as is.

For example take hematemesis

r2 university program (h1-b)
interviews - 10%, rejects - 40%, no response - 50%. (i know almost all of the no response programs for me have sent out interviews and some have sent out rejects)
note: Nobody but myself and eras actually knows how many programs i have applied to (i thought putting percentages gives a person even more anonymity)

Last edited:
GIBlues I see your point. I guess from their perspective I would be annoyed too with tons of calls. Its just that I feel common courtesy demands atleast an reject, after all its free via ERAS can be sent out in bulk to 270-280 applicants out of 300. Speaking with several of my colleagues applying for Cardiology, they tell me that the process is a lot more streamlined and very objective, but then GI just rejoined the match perhaps only time will tell if things will improve.

Surprising that despite all this you got just one interview. I am sure you will do well on that one good luck. It must have cost you over 5 K just applying lol. Good luck dude.:thumbup:
With only 221 clinical slots nationwide each year and atleast 1500-2000 applicants and each program receiveing in excess of 300 application, what else can we expect from them?They can be as coky, narcissistic and uncaring as they want. Heck even the program co-ordinators and secreteries are very rude, atleast to people who have not been selected for interviews.
I am an IMG,University program, Green card, board certified in IM, several publications, one research project in GI, excellent LORs. And out of 140 applications I have only one interview !!!!

Bye bye

surprising that despite all this you got just one interview. I am sure you will do well on that one good luck. It must have cost you over 5 k just applying lol. Good luck dude.:thumbup:

Last edited:
This difference is due to the fact that I am an IMG. I think IMGs pretty much can forget GI. Their only best hope is in their own programs.
Well someone has to save the dying Internal Medicine field. I guess it will be IMGs.
Even fellowship like nephrology, ID, Endocrine etc which were easy to get are getting hard for IMGs now.
BTW STILL 80 of 140 PROGRAMS HAVE NOT REPLIED. Now that is really pathetic.
I can give myself false hope that maybe I am on their waiting list, but I know thats not the case.

That really isn't true. I know IMGs [on H1 visas] who got in for gastroenterology at Cleveland Clinic and Yale last year [I mean, I personally know them]. I also know someone, an IMG again, who got into Mayo for gastroenterology 2 years back. And after all, the statistics say that 20% of all people who matched for gastroenterology last year are IMGs [the lowest for any specialty, to be sure, but still, one in five isn't dismal]. I don't know what is going to happen this year, though... I can see that the competition is really intense ... however, I can't compare it with last year since I wasn't around.

Rejection from Boston University by snail-mail.

Members don't see this ad :)
Rejections from UCLA today- rejection also from Boston University as well..this is taking a toll now...and this year looks really competitive...match day will be a daunting one!:eek:

First let me tell u the story about UCLA.
Once upon a time I applied to UCLA along with many other programs and got rejection yesterday. They are writing that
"................. and If you should find yourself in a position of applying to GI programs in the future, please keep in mind that this decision will not necessarily influence future applications. So you are encouraged to apply again in the future".:laugh: They want me to spent $25 again next year which I have already done twice.

The discussion of IMG vs AMG can get tough. It is a fact that even in 21st century IMG's are to run community hospitals and provide services to under serve and health professional shortage area. And there is classification of IMG's as well e.g country of origin (Asians vs Eurpeons).
Well I am beginning to accept this fact and the fate and unfortunately I can shout, cry or hit my head against the wall but I cann't do anything about it. And I have already completed my residency meaning my chances of getting into my Ex-residency program are there but slim.
"But as I have mentioned earlier I am going to surprise you by the end of this match".
Last ERAS & Match (2006) applied to 140 programs got only 30 refusals no interviews at all, this ERAS (2007) applied to 94 programs so far sitting on 35th refusal. A kind of improvement from last year.

Best of luck!

First let me tell u the story about UCLA.
Once upon a time I applied to UCLA along with many other programs and got rejection yesterday. They are writing that
"................. and If you should find yourself in a position of applying to GI programs in the future, please keep in mind that this decision will not necessarily influence future applications. So you are encouraged to apply again in the future".:laugh: They want me to spent $25 again next year which I have already done twice.

The discussion of IMG vs AMG can get tough. It is a fact that even in 21st century IMG's are to run community hospitals and provide services to under serve and health professional shortage area. And there is classification of IMG's as well e.g country of origin (Asians vs Eurpeons).
Well I am beginning to accept this fact and the fate and unfortunately I can shout, cry or hit my head against the wall but I cann't do anything about it. And I have already completed my residency meaning my chances of getting into my Ex-residency program are there but slim.
"But as I have mentioned earlier I am going to surprise you by the end of this match".
Last ERAS & Match (2006) applied to 140 programs got only 30 refusals no interviews at all, this ERAS (2007) applied to 94 programs so far sitting on 35th refusal. A kind of improvement from last year.

Best of luck!

Lmsao. Keep up your sense of humor.When I become a program director I would make sure that we increase the quota of foreign grads from 20% - 22% .

Thanks for the generosity of 22% but I was thinking once I become a GI PD (chances are high) I am willing to sacrifice another 1% of AMG's positions for the sake of GIBLUES and few others like him and we will increase the quotta for foreign grads from yours 22% to 23%. I think that should be enough to cover these folks who are desperate to carry that scope on their shoulders in corridors looking for a victum;).

Hi all,
I am checking the forum after few weeks.

I am an IMG, R-2, community program, good LORs, some research, many presntations,
Stats:1% interview, 35% rejections, remaining pending.(likely rejections!)
haven't done my interview yet.
I am frustrated and fedup by rejections letters, i don't even check myERAS daily anymore, actually I checked today after 3 weeks, got few rejections.

I agree with Hematemesis, at least we deserve a systematic way of reviewing applications, notifying us of YES/NO, timely interview notification etc wo that the pain of the whole process and depression would be less. More values to our hopes, instead of having false ideas still. But at the present situation, no one is going to talk about this, and we are ready to attend interview even if they call us in the last minute, day before the interview or even the day before the match. With the volume of applications, the programs aware that we are desperate. many of them don't even send rejection letters. Bayview hasn't even downloaded application of many of us(including me).

I also agree with few of the previus messages, the chances for me to match are very slim esp. being an IMG from a community program, though i may be a great candidate. I have started looking for the jobs ( to take care of internal medicine in community hospitals), but unfortunately i have to wait till match results ... with a trace of hope.

I think Uni. of Oklahoma has selected their own candidates but not sure 100%. they might even consider giving one out of the two positions to outsiders but it is unlikely. (i know someone in that program)

Good luck to all !

Have the following sent out all their interviews already? (or anyone received rejections)

U of Az
Loyola
UNC
U mich
NW
Baylor Dallas (seems only Hoosierdaddy has heard from them)
Temple
Texas A&M
Penn State
UTSW

Thanks!

Have the following sent out all their interviews already? (or anyone received rejections)

U of Az
Loyola
UNC
U mich
NW
Baylor Dallas (seems only Hoosierdaddy has heard from them)
Temple
Texas A&M
Penn State
UTSW

Thanks!

Rejection from Baylor Dallas today :(

Bye bye

Last edited:
Rejections from maimonides, UTSW and Baylor Dallas :(.

rejection from Baylor and also per program secretary MCW might be done with their selections though they havent sent rejections yet

Rejection via email. It also stated that they have selected their fellows. I guess they went out of Match for all the positions.

Reject from U of New Mexico via ERAS electronic mail. But on the bright side I got a letter from the IRS via Snail Mail informing me of GWB's economic stimulus package and requesting me to file my taxes on time.:thumbup:

Reject from U of New Mexico via ERAS electronic mail. But on the bright side I got a letter from the IRS via Snail Mail informing me of GWB's economic stimulus package and requesting me to file my taxes on time.:thumbup:

I am happy for you at least UNM sent u a reply. But my friend this big brother (IRS) who is keeping his eyes on your pocket may not be a very good news. You only want to e-file and if possible get direct deposit from them, that is it. "NO SNAIL MAIL WARNINGS" :eek:
And also this GWB's package smells fishy as he has a great variety of so called packages for everyone and countries:D. just kidding

Best of luck to all in getting all replies now! But I will suggest not to call them or email as you want to make a list of those programs who are participating in ERAS but lazy in communicating.

Rejection via email. It also stated that they have selected their fellows. I guess they went out of Match for all the positions.

UNM did go outside of match for all 4 positions. Interestingly though I turned down their interview they still emailed to inform me that I was not one of the 4 selected.

Just found out about this forum today. Introducing myself... PGY2 IMG on H1 visa in a community program [affiliated to a major university].

Got calls from Univesity of Missouri Columbia [ in mid-Dec]and Beth Israel Deaconess, Boston [yesterday]. Rejections from alot of others including those mentioned previously on this thread.

One of my classmates at the same rogram [IMG with greencard] has calls so far from Medical College of Wisconsin, MIlwaukee and Mayo, Rochester [both 2 days back].

Hope this helps. Will update as and when more info is available.

Hi, ayakkadan

Could you please let me know how your interview in Beth Israel Deaconess went because my interview there in coming soon?

Hi, ayakkadan

Could you please let me know how your interview in Beth Israel Deaconess went because my interview there in coming soon?

I haven't interviewed at BIDMC yet either. By the way, phone call interview from Norwalk Hospital [yale affiliate] 2 days back.

I recently interviewed at Tufts and really liked it. I am anxious to match in Boston and will probably rank it highly. I am wondering if other people had opinions about this program. Thanks in advance.

Rejection from Albany med

My batchmate has interviews from University of Missouri Kansas City, Howard [non-ERAS], and University of Minneapolis [non-eras]. For those of you who applied there.

My batchmate has interviews from University of Missouri Kansas City, Howard [non-ERAS], and University of Minneapolis [non-eras]. For those of you who applied there.

Above, not university of Minneapolis, University of Cincinnati is the place he got an interview from. Sorry.

Hi, ayakkadan:

Could you please tell me when you schedule your interview in BIDMC?

Hi, ayakkadan:

Could you please tell me when you schedule your interview in BIDMC?

Finished my interview this week. You interview with 4-5 faculty. Questions mainly about your past research/ publications. Expect to be the only one being interviewed on that day [or may be 2-3]. Interview schedule varies by candidate, so follow your schedule exactly. May have a noon conference on the day of interview. You must be among the last being interviewed... I was told that they are finishing up their interviews in the first week of April. All the best. Let me know if you have other questions.

Finished my interview this week. You interview with 4-5 faculty. Questions mainly about your past research/ publications. Expect to be the only one being interviewed on that day [or may be 2-3]. Interview schedule varies by candidate, so follow your schedule exactly. May have a noon conference on the day of interview. You must be among the last being interviewed... I was told that they are finishing up their interviews in the first week of April. All the best. Let me know if you have other questions.

Thanks vey much for your information. Do you know how many people they interviewed for the 3 positions? When I checked the website, I found they have several Non-accredited fellow in their first year fellows.Do you have any idea what that means?

Thanks vey much for your information. Do you know how many people they interviewed for the 3 positions? When I checked the website, I found they have several Non-accredited fellow in their first year fellows.Do you have any idea what that means?

Like I have posted in the other thread, they are interviewing 15 candidates for their 3 positions. I actually didn't see that 'non-accredited fellow' thing, so didn't ask them anything about it. If you find out anything about it during your interview, do post it here.

Like I have posted in the other thread, they are interviewing 15 candidates for their 3 positions. I actually didn't see that 'non-accredited fellow' thing, so didn't ask them anything about it. If you find out anything about it during your interview, do post it here.

I just went through that list of non-accredited 'fellows'- two of them are faculty members who interviewed me! So my feeling is that it is something like they are doing a special course [there is a 2 year scholars program at Harvard School of Public Health which the department will sponsor you for... may be that] after completing their fellowship [Leffler is a 3rd year fellow who is joining the faculty in June; Moss is 2-3 years post-fellowship].

I just went through that list of non-accredited 'fellows'- two of them are faculty members who interviewed me! So my feeling is that it is something like they are doing a special course [there is a 2 year scholars program at Harvard School of Public Health which the department will sponsor you for... may be that] after completing their fellowship [Leffler is a 3rd year fellow who is joining the faculty in June; Moss is 2-3 years post-fellowship].

That list actually doesn't make any sense. My feeling is that it is outdated. Chandrasekhar Thukral who is listed as a 2nd year fellow seems to be in practice in Illinois. Seema Maroo, listed as a third year fellow has been listed as faculty at Cleveland CLinic and BIDMC... Leffler dfefinitely is not first year, neither is Moss. I don't see the name of one of the other fellows I met anywhere on the list. Something wrong somewhere.

Does anyone know how many people are Tufts interviewing and for how many positions?

Interview invite from Cook County via snail mail today.

question for you guys...i know in some other fellowships, PD's will sometimes call the applicants after the whole interview process is over and invite them back, or offer to take them out for dinner...have any of you guys had such offers?? one of the interviews i went on, they told me that "they will definitely be in touch with me in the near future..." not sure what to make of it...just curious what you guys though...

When is deadline to register for NRMP? Is it in June? Just want to confirm!

Hi,
Does anyone have any information about the program at UT houston. It seemed nice on interview day, but have been hearing bad things about the program like a lot of their faculty is leaving.

E-mail interview from Wayne State University, Detroit by e-mail. I suppose there still are some programs out there who are calling candidates.

I spoke with one of the fellows at UT-Houston. Dr. Botero, their transplant Hep, will be retiring in Aug. 2008. The fellow stated that no other announcements have been made of people leaving.

Hi all,
I am checking the forum after few weeks.

I am an IMG, R-2, community program, good LORs, some research, many presntations,
Stats:1% interview, 35% rejections, remaining pending.(likely rejections!)
haven't done my interview yet.
I am frustrated and fedup by rejections letters, i don't even check myERAS daily anymore, actually I checked today after 3 weeks, got few rejections.

I agree with Hematemesis, at least we deserve a systematic way of reviewing applications, notifying us of YES/NO, timely interview notification etc wo that the pain of the whole process and depression would be less. More values to our hopes, instead of having false ideas still. But at the present situation, no one is going to talk about this, and we are ready to attend interview even if they call us in the last minute, day before the interview or even the day before the match. With the volume of applications, the programs aware that we are desperate. many of them don't even send rejection letters. Bayview hasn't even downloaded application of many of us(including me).

I also agree with few of the previus messages, the chances for me to match are very slim esp. being an IMG from a community program, though i may be a great candidate. I have started looking for the jobs ( to take care of internal medicine in community hospitals), but unfortunately i have to wait till match results ... with a trace of hope.

I think Uni. of Oklahoma has selected their own candidates but not sure 100%. they might even consider giving one out of the two positions to outsiders but it is unlikely. (i know someone in that program)

Good luck to all !

just fyi to everyone, the Hopkins Bayview and Hopkins Hospital programs merged last year so Hopkins only has one program now.