Glasgow/Edinburgh/RVC/Dublin

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks! I am still leaning toward Edinburgh because the Dublin program is fairly new and they are still working out the kinks. Plus, the Edinburgh reception really sold me.

Yeah, I'm thinking I'll choose Edinburgh over Dublin too, but the Dublin acceptance is just one for my pride right now! :) But yeah, really loved the reception for Edinburgh. Last one I have to hear from is Davis (my IS school)!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm in I'm in!!!!!!!

Ahhh! Congratulations Chii Chan! Now I ask you the same...what do you think you're going to do? It's good to have choices, eh?

Oh, I see you already answered my question. When do you think you'll hear from Davis?

Congrats chii chan! I'm sitting here next to my cell and house phone jumping whenever they ring. ugh this suspense is killing me. I wanna know already!

Members don't see this ad :)
Ahhh! Congratulations Chii Chan! Now I ask you the same...what do you think you're going to do? It's good to have choices, eh?

Oh, I see you already answered my question. When do you think you'll hear from Davis?

They start telling you if you have an interview next Monday (15th) through that Friday. If they don't give me an interview, then I know what choices I have left: Massey, Edinburgh, and Dublin. Still have a Glasgow interview on Thursday so who knows?!? I'm totally sold on Edinburgh though, but I'll research my options.

Congrats chii chan! I'm sitting here next to my cell and house phone jumping whenever they ring. ugh this suspense is killing me. I wanna know already!

If it helps, the number that called started +353 (1). They are calling everyone so it will take time. They aren't e-mailing anything, and the packet will come snail mail, so they called to let you know first! :)

Just got a call, I'm in :D

Where you gonna go lalz? It's what, Edinburgh, Ohio, or Dublin? Kind of tough contenders with no obvious choice in my book!

By the by if anyone else is curious, that HUGE deposit of 1,500 pounds we put down for Edinburgh? It's deducted from your first semester's tuition. You still have to pay it before hand of course, but it does go towards your tuition and isn't just a sunk cost like at some schools. Just found that out today and it was one of the main cons Edinburgh had against it. Now that that's gone...hmmm.......

Where you gonna go lalz? It's what, Edinburgh, Ohio, or Dublin? Kind of tough contenders with no obvious choice in my book!

By the by if anyone else is curious, that HUGE deposit of 1,500 pounds we put down for Edinburgh? It's deducted from your first semester's tuition. You still have to pay it before hand of course, but it does go towards your tuition and isn't just a sunk cost like at some schools. Just found that out today and it was one of the main cons Edinburgh had against it. Now that that's gone...hmmm.......

Do you think they'd let us split up that deposit in chunks, sort of like a payment plan? It makes me sick to my stomach thinking about how I'll ever pay that by May 1st if I decide to head to Edinburgh. ...on top of passport fees, plane tickets, relocating in general...

Seriously, if I decided on Edinburgh, I have no clue where i'd come up with that money by May. I'm basically penniless, and we certainly wouldn't have any money from loans by that time...

Do you think they'd let us split up that deposit in chunks, sort of like a payment plan? It makes me sick to my stomach thinking about how I'll ever pay that by May 1st if I decide to head to Edinburgh. ...on top of passport fees, plane tickets, relocating in general...
I've no idea. Wouldn't mind knowing that myself. One option I've looked at to kind of offset the cost was this:
http://www.mychasecreditcards.com/britishairways/Spend.aspx?CELL=6R9F

Either get one yourself if you think they'd allow a credit limit that high or get a parent to do it and you just pay them back. That gives you the summer to work off the amount, which is very doable even with interest. Then you get 20,000 bonus air miles after first use of card, and 10,000 after you spend $750 on the card (which you will with the deposit). I figure that would be enough miles for at least two round trips, and at $1000 each that comes out to offsetting the price. Also solves the 'plane tickets' problem.

Hope that makes sense. It does in my mind but sometimes my thalamus does a horrible job of sorting everything out. :laugh:

Edit: Actually this may all be futile. At the bottom it says that you need 50,000 air miles for a trip to Europe? How the hell does that work? It's only 4,000 miles from here to there.

Edit: Actually this may all be futile. At the bottom it says that you need 50,000 air miles for a trip to Europe? How the hell does that work? It's only 4,000 miles from here to there.

Ah, yes. Sadly, airline miles do not equal real world miles. :(

They definitely help though!

Which airline is the 50,000 miles for? I haven't looked to see if United flies over there but I do know a couple months ago I had 44,000 miles. Maybe I'm close to a free trip now?

I've no idea. Wouldn't mind knowing that myself. One option I've looked at to kind of offset the cost was this:
http://www.mychasecreditcards.com/britishairways/Spend.aspx?CELL=6R9F

Either get one yourself if you think they'd allow a credit limit that high or get a parent to do it and you just pay them back. That gives you the summer to work off the amount, which is very doable even with interest. Then you get 20,000 bonus air miles after first use of card, and 10,000 after you spend $750 on the card (which you will with the deposit). I figure that would be enough miles for at least two round trips, and at $1000 each that comes out to offsetting the price. Also solves the 'plane tickets' problem.

Hope that makes sense. It does in my mind but sometimes my thalamus does a horrible job of sorting everything out. :laugh:

Hmm..that's not a bad idea, except that they have that rule for trips to Europe. 50,000 miles? That's a bit excessive, sheesh.. I think I'll e-mail Geraldine today and find out what our options are. After finding out yesterday that I was waitlisted at Kansas, that didn't make me feel too confident about my decision letter coming from Missouri, which means that I need to seriously start considering Edinburgh. It's quite a bit of money, but living in Europe for four years is definitely worth trying to scrape it up!

No idea. Still waiting to hear from Kansas and my Tufts interview. I think its gonna come down to a dartboard and some names, haha

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, pop one more up onto that dart board. Don't you just love life altering decisions?

Ugh, I know what you mean lalz. Having this decision hanging over my head is horrible, and I can't concentrate on my schoolwork at all :(
Good luck though

Well, pop one more up onto that dart board. Don't you just love life altering decisions?

I would love it even more if I found out I was actually the love child of Brad Pitt and would soon be inheriting millions. THAT would make it super! haha

Ugh, I know what you mean lalz. Having this decision hanging over my head is horrible, and I can't concentrate on my schoolwork at all :(
Good luck though

I know! And one day I'll say "I'm going to Ohio!" and the next day "I'm going to Edin" etc... Still, rather too many choices than too few. I will thank my lucky stars

I know! And one day I'll say "I'm going to Ohio!" and the next day "I'm going to Edin" etc... Still, rather too many choices than too few. I will thank my lucky stars

Exact same situation with me between Mizzou and Edin.

Everytime I settle on Mizzou (and I don't really mean settle, because i love Mizzou), I worry that i'll regret giving up the opportunity to live abroad for a few years.

Damn but getting a visa sounds confusing.

How do you apply for it? I've read about some companies like travisa, albriggs and allstar, but is that the norm? Seems like you'd have to apply through the government.

Also how do you get FAFSA to deposit the money into a bank account? Traditionally they've always just sent it directly to the college (for my UG that is).

And finally, how do you get a bank transfer between a US bank and a UK bank? Will it cost extra money to do that?

Just me again, checking in.

Getting a visa IS a pain. I really do think it will be a lot better this year for you guys than it was for a bunch of us last year, but that is because they changed the process last year and nobody knew which way was up.

You apply online to the UK border control. The school will send you more info on this later, and try not to panic about it yet. You can't apply yet, so just wait until they send you some more info. For some 'light' reading, you can search for my posts from last year about the nightmare I was having, and take comfort knowing it won't be that bad for you. :D

FAFSA doesn't actually give you money, since FAFSA is just the application. Your lender will send your money to the school, and you pick up checks from the finance office.

Transferring money between UK and US banks does typically cost money - how much will depend on your banks and what type of account you have. Maybe 15 GBP/time on the UK side?

There was a question about relying on financial aid and finding a place to live - the calculator on the Edinburgh website (posted earlier) is pretty good, but typically counts on you sharing a flat or being in student housing. If you're looking for your own place and want to live somewhere other than a complete dive, you might have to budget on a little more. You'll get a pretty good idea for what things are running on Gumtree. Most people I know of that are living by themselves are paying 500-600 GBP/month for a place. Do keep in mind when you're looking on Gumtree that places typically list a PER WEEK price which is a bit odd, but once you get used to seeing that you're fine. (ie. 115/per week typically works out to 500/month.)

Finding a place with pets is hit or miss, and you do have to contact a lot of places. My theory was that if they don't specifically say "no pets" then I've got a shot at convincing them of how great I am and how fantastically well behaved my dogs are. So, call or email a lot of people and ask about pets, usually after letting them know that you're a wonderfully reliable MATURE person. Don't call them up and say, "I'm a student and I have a dog." That's not likely to work out so well for you. ;)

FAFSA doesn't actually give you money, since FAFSA is just the application. Your lender will send your money to the school, and you pick up checks from the finance office.

Yah I just use FAFSA as a general bit. But wait, the lender sends it to the school and then you have to pick it up? So how do you show them on the bank statement that you have enough money to get a visa when all your checks are over in Edinburgh and you can't get to them because you don't have a visa because you don't have the money to show them that you have the money....

But wait, the lender sends it to the school and then you have to pick it up? So how do you show them on the bank statement that you have enough money to get a visa when all your checks are over in Edinburgh and you can't get to them because you don't have a visa because you don't have the money to show them that you have the money....

You request a letter from your lender saying they are loaning you 'x' amount of money. So, instead of a letter from your bank saying you have 'x', you get a letter from your lender.

That was part of the problem last year - the UK changed the requirements for that letter (ie. needed to have an original signature, be on letterhead, etc.) and none of the lenders knew exactly what they needed. Since it is a year later, I really would think they have it all sorted out by now, and it will likely be a much smoother ride for you guys.

I posted a link to a website with a lot of information about visas, how to apply, and what you need to do to prepare, so it might not be a bad idea to have a look through that. It will let you know what exactly you need to do for this year, because I don't want to give you wrong information about that process in case it has changed (or if I don't remember correctly!).

Just me again, checking in.

Getting a visa IS a pain. I really do think it will be a lot better this year for you guys than it was for a bunch of us last year, but that is because they changed the process last year and nobody knew which way was up.

You apply online to the UK border control. The school will send you more info on this later, and try not to panic about it yet. You can't apply yet, so just wait until they send you some more info. For some 'light' reading, you can search for my posts from last year about the nightmare I was having, and take comfort knowing it won't be that bad for you. :D

Transferring money between UK and US banks does typically cost money - how much will depend on your banks and what type of account you have. Maybe 15 GBP/time on the UK side?

There was a question about relying on financial aid and finding a place to live - the calculator on the Edinburgh website (posted earlier) is pretty good, but typically counts on you sharing a flat or being in student housing. If you're looking for your own place and want to live somewhere other than a complete dive, you might have to budget on a little more. You'll get a pretty good idea for what things are running on Gumtree. Most people I know of that are living by themselves are paying 500-600 GBP/month for a place. Do keep in mind when you're looking on Gumtree that places typically list a PER WEEK price which is a bit odd, but once you get used to seeing that you're fine. (ie. 115/per week typically works out to 500/month.)

Finding a place with pets is hit or miss, and you do have to contact a lot of places. My theory was that if they don't specifically say "no pets" then I've got a shot at convincing them of how great I am and how fantastically well behaved my dogs are. So, call or email a lot of people and ask about pets, usually after letting them know that you're a wonderfully reliable MATURE person. Don't call them up and say, "I'm a student and I have a dog." That's not likely to work out so well for you. ;)

Hey guys, another Edinburgh student here. Just wanted to add that I don't think 500 a month is a very good price at all! Most people I know living close to school pay about 300-340 a month for rather nice places. I only pay 270- and I definitely don't live in a dive! I guess it is usually because you share a flat though, I don't know why you would want to pay so much extra when you could just live with other students. If you need to live alone, budget more, but I would NEVER pay 500 a month, that's ridiculous.

And as for visas, it is not hard as long as you send in exactly what they ask for on time. I had no problems at least.

Hey guys, another Edinburgh student here. Just wanted to add that I don't think 500 a month is a very good price at all! Most people I know living close to school pay about 300-340 a month for rather nice places. I only pay 270- and I definitely don't live in a dive! I guess it is usually because you share a flat though, I don't know why you would want to pay so much extra when you could just live with other students. If you need to live alone, budget more, but I would NEVER pay 500 a month, that's ridiculous.

No, I agree. It's much cheaper to live with somebody else, but I couldn't think of anyone paying that little for their own place. Cheapest I know of offhand that is close to school is about 430 for a 1 bedroom place, but I haven't taken a poll of the entire school. ;) 600 is certainly the higher end of what I know some people are paying, so don't let that discourage you - you can find cheaper places!

Last edited:
To those currently across the pond: how did you get there? Which airline did you use?

Currently British Airways seems to be the cheapest at ~$500 each way. Can anyone beat that?

To those currently across the pond: how did you get there? Which airline did you use?

Currently British Airways seems to be the cheapest at ~$500 each way. Can anyone beat that?

I like Icelandic Air as well...and they do cheap one ways as well if you don't want to book a roundtrip too far in advance. Aer Lingus and Continental aren't too awful either.

Hi - Does anyone know if students at Glasgow, RVC or Dublin get discounts on pet food through school like the students in the US get?

United and Continental seem to be the cheapest airlines from San Francisco. Dr. Corcoran said they suggest Continental and also don't fly into Dublin!!

Aer Lingus is cheap. I flew through Dublin as did a few others in my class and it didn't make a difference. You just get your visa stamped the next time you leave and enter the UK.

We get discounts on Hills pet food. Orders come in every other week or something.

I don't know about going through Dublin. Dr. Corcoran specifically told us not to do so because it causes a big problem and you may be sent back to the states.

What's the problem specifically? The visa people there just have a stick up their ass or what?

Here is the information they presented at the reception:

"Special Note:
Dublin Route - Dublin is not part of the UK but is a part of the EU. The Irish Republic has a "common travel agreement" with the UK which means that there is no immigration presence at Edinburgh to check that your visa is in order.
Do not make your first entry to the UK via Dublin"

Hopefully that clears things up for you a bit.

The problem with Dublin, is they do not stamp your Visa. Therefore, you are in Edinburgh legally as a tourist and not on your Tier 4 visa. They said it could be an issue and to just avoid Dublin so that it was not a potential problem.

Dublin Route - Dublin is not part of the UK but is a part of the EU. The Irish Republic has a "common travel agreement" with the UK which means that there is no immigration presence at Edinburgh to check that your visa is in order.

I see. So is flying into Edinburgh alright then? Or are they to be avoided too since there's no one there to check our visa?

Are we supposed to fly in via London or something and then take a train?

No, you can fly into Edinburgh just fine. They don't check visas in Edinburgh only if you're coming from Dublin. If you're coming into Edinburgh from London or Frankfurt or anywhere else other than Dublin they will check your visa.

I don't know about going through Dublin. Dr. Corcoran specifically told us not to do so because it causes a big problem and you may be sent back to the states.

Yep. I know. They told us the same exact thing. It does not matter! If your visa is approved before you depart, and you fly through Dublin, it will not get a stamp when you finally enter the UK from your connecting flight. That's what they mean by 'checking' your visa. It gets a stamp, that's it. The next time you exit and then return the UK, they will say "Hello, is this the first time you're entering on this visa?" and you would say yes, and then it gets stamped. There's nothing to worry about. I've had this conversation many times. The UK is not going to send you home because you flew through Dublin and your visa wasn't stamped the first time you came in. Dr. Corcoran is a vet, not a UK Border official.

I have just been informed by Edinburgh that due to me being deployed to the Middle East, I am no longer considered for the 5 yr program. Oh well, I guess knowing that I was informally excepted should count for something, hopefully they will reconsider me when I come back. I hope that someone here on this board will take my place, and fulfill their dreams.

Good luck to everyone here now and in the future.

I have just been informed by Edinburgh that due to me being deployed to the Middle East, I am no longer considered for the 5 yr program. Oh well, I guess knowing that I was informally excepted should count for something, hopefully they will reconsider me when I come back. I hope that someone here on this board will take my place, and fulfill their dreams.

Good luck to everyone here now and in the future.

That bites. Sorry to hear that.

Anyone else interview this week in NY for the RVC? I had mine yesterday and everyone was very nice and helpful in answering my questions. I was surprised to sign into my email this morning and find an acceptance for the 4 yr program :D Anyone else receive good news?

speaking of Dublin, has anyone talked to any students over there since they got accredited? Just curious how they like the program. It's PBL, right? You just don't hear too much about Dublin yet.

Hey everyone, I used SDN when I was applying and it was VERY helpful for interviews, etc. so I figured I'd come back to help people out if they were curious about Dublin. The first year of the grad entry has been very "unique"

We don't do PBL. That may change, but I doubt it.

THE BAD:
The program definitely acted like it was a "trial""NEW" sorta thing. We felt like we were teaching ourselves WAY TOO MUCH. But hopefully it will be better for next year, because we have done our fair share of complaining. My second year, when I get to be in class with the Irish should be much better.....Sometimes you feel like you shouldve said yes to a school back home, and some people are trying to transfer, but overall im happy I came here instead of staying in Cali...(Feel free to ask questions, don't want to diss too much, Im trying to get people to come here, especially NORMAL american BOYS!!!!).

THE GOOD:
Going to school here is a mixed bag of emotions. Ireland is great, if you have time to relax and enjoy it. You get to travel around when you have breaks, or you could go really any weekend before MCQs. You can party as much as you want really, (or study the whole time), since finals are basically all your grades. The teachers, when not being completely confusing are VERY nice and fun. After the 1st semester of stress over the disorganization Im able to enjoy myself more. I got pretty good grades last semester and went out a lot, I probably wouldnt have had a social life like this if I had stayed back home. And I like Dublin, because it is small enough. It is EXPENSIVE! so don't be a fool, if you can't afford it don't come. This is directed towards Canadians, who can't get enuff in loans.
The social dynamic here is completely foreign..everything is foreign, but it is a foreign country. Everything is nutts, but you can't take it too seriously!!!!!!!!!!!! If you get sad/stressed/whatever, DRINK. You think im joking, but its Ireland,:luck: So do what you want here!!!! Thats what I do. AVS was a blast. Even though some UK/Irish vet school students have this weird vibe towards grad entry.(my friend got harassed by a scot sayin he didnt like grad entry at AVS).....Vet Ball was a blast. Irish people are fun, as long as you don't take them too seriously haha They have a gossip yearbook here for vet college!....If you are interested in coming here please let me know. We want more fun peeps!!!:luck::luck::luck:

If you have serious questions, like about curriculum, I can answer those too!

Does anyone know anything about the changes congress is making to the financial aid process when applying to foreign schools? This is what I found on The University of Edinburgh financial aid site. I have completed my fafsa but now I don't know what to do next. I guess I should email them but I wanted to see if anyone had any information. Thanks.

US Student Loans at The University of Edinburgh

*****Current News***** The information on this section of the scholarships website is correct as of February 2010 and only applies to the current session (2009/10). Changes in Federal Aid for the 2010/11 academic session are still being considered by Congress. We will post updates in the very near future, but if you have any queries please feel free to contact us ([email protected])

No idea, but there's very little that makes it through Congress in the first go, so I doubt we have to worry about it for at least another year.

No idea, but there's very little that makes it through Congress in the first go, so I doubt we have to worry about it for at least another year.

That is a good point... and just saved me a lot of undue stress! :oops:

Hey everyone, I used SDN when I was applying and it was VERY helpful for interviews, etc. so I figured I'd come back to help people out if they were curious about Dublin. The first year of the grad entry has been very "unique"

We don't do PBL. That may change, but I doubt it.

THE BAD:
The program definitely acted like it was a "trial""NEW" sorta thing. We felt like we were teaching ourselves WAY TOO MUCH. But hopefully it will be better for next year, because we have done our fair share of complaining. My second year, when I get to be in class with the Irish should be much better.....Sometimes you feel like you shouldve said yes to a school back home, and some people are trying to transfer, but overall im happy I came here instead of staying in Cali...(Feel free to ask questions, don't want to diss too much, Im trying to get people to come here, especially NORMAL american BOYS!!!!).

THE GOOD:
Going to school here is a mixed bag of emotions. Ireland is great, if you have time to relax and enjoy it. You get to travel around when you have breaks, or you could go really any weekend before MCQs. You can party as much as you want really, (or study the whole time), since finals are basically all your grades. The teachers, when not being completely confusing are VERY nice and fun. After the 1st semester of stress over the disorganization Im able to enjoy myself more. I got pretty good grades last semester and went out a lot, I probably wouldnt have had a social life like this if I had stayed back home. And I like Dublin, because it is small enough. It is EXPENSIVE! so don't be a fool, if you can't afford it don't come. This is directed towards Canadians, who can't get enuff in loans.
The social dynamic here is completely foreign..everything is foreign, but it is a foreign country. Everything is nutts, but you can't take it too seriously!!!!!!!!!!!! If you get sad/stressed/whatever, DRINK. You think im joking, but its Ireland,:luck: So do what you want here!!!! Thats what I do. AVS was a blast. Even though some UK/Irish vet school students have this weird vibe towards grad entry.(my friend got harassed by a scot sayin he didnt like grad entry at AVS).....Vet Ball was a blast. Irish people are fun, as long as you don't take them too seriously haha They have a gossip yearbook here for vet college!....If you are interested in coming here please let me know. We want more fun peeps!!!:luck::luck::luck:

If you have serious questions, like about curriculum, I can answer those too!

Thanks for all your help and advice!! I just recently got accepted to Dublin, and so far it is the only school I've been accepted to, so it looks like it will be Dublin or waiting for another year. Frankly, I would not be at all disappointed to go overseas, I visited Dublin awhile back and LOVED it! I have a couple questions for you, and you may or may not have the answers lol. First of all, (I know this is somewhat personal so feel free to not answer) my primary concern about going over there is how much more in debt I will be than I would be in the US. Aside from the expensive tuition and the fact that the Euro is worth more than the dollar, I'm assuming the cost of living is higher there as well. I am totally cool with having an enormous amount of debt upon graduation from loans and stuff, but do you think that you are going to have a debt you can't handle upon graduation? About how much do you spend living there? Also, I know its a bit early but have you talked at all about how easy it will be to transition into the US (assuming that's where you want to go after graduation)? I am so unbelievably psyched about the prospect of going there (and I will have fun, no worries about that!) but I am quite nervous about these things:/ Any guidance/advice?

I am totally cool with having an enormous amount of debt upon graduation from loans and stuff, but do you think that you are going to have a debt you can't handle upon graduation?

Hi Katy!

First of all, congrats on the acceptance to Dublin.:thumbup:

Second, this statement (in bold) worries me. Having such a carefree attitude to being several HUNDRED thousand dollars in debt is not something one should be "totally cool"with having upon graduation. Furthermore, if your loans dictate repayment immediately but you want to go to a internship/residency, that might not be possible. It's a serious decision that will have huge finanical/professional/personal implications in the future. Are you aware of vet starting salaries? monthly payments on loans in the future? interest rates?

Hi Katy!

First of all, congrats on the acceptance to Dublin.:thumbup:

Second, this statement (in bold) worries me. Having such a carefree attitude to being several HUNDRED thousand dollars in debt is not something one should be "totally cool"with having upon graduation. Furthermore, if your loans dictate repayment immediately but you want to go to a internship/residency, that might not be possible. It's a serious decision that will have huge finanical/professional/personal implications in the future. Are you aware of vet starting salaries? monthly payments on loans in the future? interest rates?

Thanks for the concern, I guess I didn't really word that well. I did not mean I was "cool with it" in the literal sense, I meant more that I have come to terms with the fact that vet school is going to be an enormous financial investment no matter where I go, and that I am willing to make that commitment in order to achieve my goals in the long run. I am completely debt-free right now, I paid for undergraduate without taking out any loans which was awesome, but I know that's not possible with vet schools. I have done plenty of research in terms of starting salaries in the US, not so much in Dublin, and I know that (apart from a few more unique jobs) they are not terribly high. I plan on entering the work force right after graduation (I didn't plan on necessarily doing an internship), so I'm hoping I start paying off debt right away. Basically I'm just trying to figure out how going to Dublin would affect that debt (would it double it? Triple it? Etc). I do not have any delusions that I will not have to work my butt off paying this back, again I've just come to terms with the fact that I gotta do what I gotta do!

Thanks for the concern, I guess I didn't really word that well. I did not mean I was "cool with it" in the literal sense, I meant more that I have come to terms with the fact that vet school is going to be an enormous financial investment no matter where I go, and that I am willing to make that commitment in order to achieve my goals in the long run. I am completely debt-free right now, I paid for undergraduate without taking out any loans which was awesome, but I know that's not possible with vet schools. I have done plenty of research in terms of starting salaries in the US, not so much in Dublin, and I know that (apart from a few more unique jobs) they are not terribly high. I plan on entering the work force right after graduation (I didn't plan on necessarily doing an internship), so I'm hoping I start paying off debt right away. Basically I'm just trying to figure out how going to Dublin would affect that debt (would it double it? Triple it? Etc). I do not have any delusions that I will not have to work my butt off paying this back, again I've just come to terms with the fact that I gotta do what I gotta do!

I hope you did not think I was attacking you in any way. I just wanted to clarify this issue not just for you but for others viewing this thread that are thinking about applying to vet school.

:)

I hope you did not think I was attacking you in any way. I just wanted to clarify this issue not just for you but for others viewing this thread that are thinking about applying to vet school.

:)

No worries, I'm sure the whole paying-for-vet-school burden is one that none of us can really grasp until we're actually doing it. In the meantime I'm just trying to gather as much info as possible so I can make the right decision:p:p

Thanks for all your help and advice!! I just recently got accepted to Dublin, and so far it is the only school I've been accepted to, so it looks like it will be Dublin or waiting for another year. Frankly, I would not be at all disappointed to go overseas, I visited Dublin awhile back and LOVED it! I have a couple questions for you, and you may or may not have the answers lol. First of all, (I know this is somewhat personal so feel free to not answer) my primary concern about going over there is how much more in debt I will be than I would be in the US. Aside from the expensive tuition and the fact that the Euro is worth more than the dollar, I'm assuming the cost of living is higher there as well. I am totally cool with having an enormous amount of debt upon graduation from loans and stuff, but do you think that you are going to have a debt you can't handle upon graduation? About how much do you spend living there? Also, I know its a bit early but have you talked at all about how easy it will be to transition into the US (assuming that's where you want to go after graduation)? I am so unbelievably psyched about the prospect of going there (and I will have fun, no worries about that!) but I am quite nervous about these things:/ Any guidance/advice?

Well i feel the exact same way about the debt. Basically I knew I was going to be $200,000 in debt (not including interest) no matter what since I wasnt going to work during school etc. But when I made the choice to go to Dublin instead of Western it was because I wanted to have an experience. But the "experience" will cost you. This year the max we could take out was $75,000 and I took the full amount out. Some people didn't, and some people have money other ways, but I personally NEVER worry about money, while people that didn't take the full amount occasionally do. I mean I worry about paying it off in the future, but I mean I'm screwed no matter what. I have had plenty of money to do EVERYTHING I want. I live in an apartment by myself (not cuz im weird) (575 euro a month who knows for ultilities, groceries are like 30 a week, bus pass 75 a month, etc) , I go out every weekend (which is my biggest expense like 50 euro a night), I'm staying here this summer to travel, I can live pretty carefree. Obviously I realize I need to budget, and next year I'd like to take a smaller amount out, but with the way the euro is going I don't know. Who knows what the full amount to take out will be in dollars. BUT You can live here much cheaper than I do!!!! (share a house (400 euro), budget!!!!, not travel/drink!). The people I hang out with are basically the ones I hear complaining about money since we do everything possible. My parents are helping pay off my interest, so I don't know how much debt I will have. But long story short, I figure add at LEAST $100,000 to what you paid in the US. Dublin is VERY VERY expensive. you'll do all your clothes shopping back home over winter break haha

I'm doing emergency med, living at home, and working my ass off once I get home from school. My debt will be huge, no doubt, so if your into warm and fuzzy shelter work, or part time regular clinic and wanting to pop a kid out soon DONT do DUB! But if you are going to WORK WORK WORK, you should be fine. Plenty of people go to vet school and have previous debt from undergrad, so just view it like that.

I obviously havent done any clinic here/gotten to the point where I'd know if I'd really be prepared, but I know a final year from California too that goes to school with me. He just passed his NAVLE and is not worried AT ALL about going back home to work. You can do a lot of your EMS back home, he did two big internships on the East Coast. You will have opportunities to dip in to America, and really I feel like it all depends on you as too how comfortable you feel when you get back. I worked with a vet straight outta school from back home and she was nervous/confused as hell, and so I think everyone will be to some extent.

Side note: you can't really stay here to work, small animal makes no money and jobs are crap right now for large. So you will def go back home, so don't marry an irish man, not like you would lol trust me

Either way coming here will be a roller coaster, but I think its worth it! Mostly for bragging rights, who gets to live in Ireland for 4 years!!!!! :luck:

Well i feel the exact same way about the debt. Basically I knew I was going to be $200,000 in debt (not including interest) no matter what since I wasnt going to work during school etc. But when I made the choice to go to Dublin instead of Western it was because I wanted to have an experience. But the "experience" will cost you. This year the max we could take out was $75,000 and I took the full amount out. Some people didn't, and some people have money other ways, but I personally NEVER worry about money, while people that didn't take the full amount occasionally do. I mean I worry about paying it off in the future, but I mean I'm screwed no matter what. I have had plenty of money to do EVERYTHING I want. I live in an apartment by myself (not cuz im weird) (575 euro a month who knows for ultilities, groceries are like 30 a week, bus pass 75 a month, etc) , I go out every weekend (which is my biggest expense like 50 euro a night), I'm staying here this summer to travel, I can live pretty carefree. Obviously I realize I need to budget, and next year I'd like to take a smaller amount out, but with the way the euro is going I don't know. Who knows what the full amount to take out will be in dollars. BUT You can live here much cheaper than I do!!!! (share a house (400 euro), budget!!!!, not travel/drink!). The people I hang out with are basically the ones I hear complaining about money since we do everything possible. My parents are helping pay off my interest, so I don't know how much debt I will have. But long story short, I figure add at LEAST $100,000 to what you paid in the US. Dublin is VERY VERY expensive. you'll do all your clothes shopping back home over winter break haha

I'm doing emergency med, living at home, and working my ass off once I get home from school. My debt will be huge, no doubt, so if your into warm and fuzzy shelter work, or part time regular clinic and wanting to pop a kid out soon DONT do DUB! But if you are going to WORK WORK WORK, you should be fine. Plenty of people go to vet school and have previous debt from undergrad, so just view it like that.

I obviously havent done any clinic here/gotten to the point where I'd know if I'd really be prepared, but I know a final year from California too that goes to school with me. He just passed his NAVLE and is not worried AT ALL about going back home to work. You can do a lot of your EMS back home, he did two big internships on the East Coast. You will have opportunities to dip in to America, and really I feel like it all depends on you as too how comfortable you feel when you get back. I worked with a vet straight outta school from back home and she was nervous/confused as hell, and so I think everyone will be to some extent.

Side note: you can't really stay here to work, small animal makes no money and jobs are crap right now for large. So you will def go back home, so don't marry an irish man, not like you would lol trust me

Either way coming here will be a roller coaster, but I think its worth it! Mostly for bragging rights, who gets to live in Ireland for 4 years!!!!! :luck:

Thank you sooo much for all the advice, I was really lost about cost specifically for Dublin and stuff (and even rounded numbers help!). My plan upon graduation is to pretty much come back home and work my butt off, I feel like I would really want to get started right away and I don't plan on having kids for quite awhile (if I even have them at all). I'm pretty sure all that debt is going to hang over my head until I pay it off no matter where I wind up. I really feel like Dublin would be an amazing place to go, so I guess it's just a matter of weighing the costs and benefits! I'm glad to hear it get's your recommendation though;) I will probably be pestering you with more questions as time goes on, but for now thanks so much for your help!!!!:D:D:D:D:D