This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smc223

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all! So I've recently been accepted to my top choice school, and now I have about 6 months left of my glide year.

So here's my predicament-- I started working as a medical scribe in November, but was just contacted recently about a research internship position. I had applied for this research internship way back in October, and accepted the scribe position as a backup since it was taking so long to hear back. It was a steep learning curve, but I've just started to get comfortable with scribing and now I really enjoy my work there.

On the other hand, I have no prior research experience so it might be more valuable to take this internship/ it may make it easier to do future research.

I'm also planning to travel in June and July before school starts, so I would only be able to commit to the research position for 4 months--is that enough time for it to be worthwhile? At least with the scribing position there's a high turnover rate, so it's pretty easy to hand in my notice.

What do you all think, continue scribing or take the research position? Does none of this even matter now that I'm accepted?? Any feedback would be appreciated!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
None of it really matters now that you’re accepted and know where you’re going. I’m in a very similar position and would advise you to not take this research position. You’re not gonna be there long enough to gain experience that will seriously help you do research as a med student. It’s also a little shady to take this job knowing that you’re only gonna work there a few months - at the very least be up front with them about it if you do interview there.

All depends on what the research gig is. If they are a high powered lab where you will get a pub then it’s worth.

...if not, quit everything and go live in a yurt for 6 months. You’ll wish you did once hell starts.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
None of it really matters now that you’re accepted and know where you’re going. I’m in a very similar position and would advise you to not take this research position. You’re not gonna be there long enough to gain experience that will seriously help you do research as a med student. It’s also a little shady to take this job knowing that you’re only gonna work there a few months - at the very least be up front with them about it if you do interview there.
Okay, this is pretty much what I was thinking-- so I'm probably just going to stick with the scribing for now. Thanks for the insight!!

All depends on what the research gig is. If they are a high powered lab where you will get a pub then it’s worth.

...if not, quit everything and go live in a yurt for 6 months. You’ll wish you did once hell starts.
Lol. Tempting...

Have you...you know....talked with the internship directly? It sounds like the research job is something you are not crazy passionate about currently, so I would be honest and say you can put in 4-6 months for them but you really want to do as much as you can for them in that time.

I ran research for awhile and depending on the position I would or wouldn't take you on. If I was hiring you to help run some of my clinical trials, heck no because that takes 3 months of full time training and a bucket-load of paper work. Now if I was throwing you on some benchwork research where you just worked labs or did some grunt bulk work that needed to be done, sure that would of been no problem.

Good luck and remember, honesty and integrity will end up getting you further in life!