Going straight into medical school after SMP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dboyhaaan

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'll be turning 26 in September and will most likely start an SMP in August of 2017 when I'm about to turn 27. Is it unheard of for someone to go straight into medical school that same summer they finish their SMP? So they finish in June 2018 and start medical school in August/September of 2018. I know on Georgetown SMP's FAQ it says its doable but has it been done through other SMPs? Particularly NYMC if anyone has done it?
It would be nice if I could start school in 2018 when I'm about to turn 28 instead of waiting until the following year. I know I'm still young but I need to get my life going. Thanks for the help everyone.

Members don't see this ad.

you are not alone! So many ppl are in the same boat and dont forget age is JUST A NUMBER!..but to answer your question; there are schools that guarantee admissions if you do well in the program therefore u can start in the fall after you complete your post-bacc in the spring. Some schools I know this year(might change who knows?)..heritage, burrell and marian. All these schools have DO programs..so ur job should be to go through sdn and check for more schools like these and apply. You should be just fine. Dont let go of your goals, it is possible.

I'll be turning 26 in September and will most likely start an SMP in August of 2017 when I'm about to turn 27. Is it unheard of for someone to go straight into medical school that same summer they finish their SMP? So they finish in June 2018 and start medical school in August/September of 2018. I know on Georgetown SMP's FAQ it says its doable but has it been done through other SMPs? Particularly NYMC if anyone has done it?
It would be nice if I could start school in 2018 when I'm about to turn 28 instead of waiting until the following year. I know I'm still young but I need to get my life going. Thanks for the help everyone.

I forgot to add no..its not unheard of ..ppl do it every year.

depends on your undergrad GPA damage, your general competitiveness for med school when you start the SMP, how well you do in the SMP, and whether the host school gives advantages to the SMP students.

visit the nontrad forum for more commentary on age.

Reactions: 1 user