Good book to read on how to smash audition rotations?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SD Hopeamine

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm wondering if anybody has any solid suggestions on books for looking good during auditions. I'm not looking for books that cover pimping material, but just overall how to make a good impression. I am starting my ortho auditions in the next couple weeks and am hopefully looking for a quick read that can help me stand out.

Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Whatever textbook is the Bible of your specialty.

Reactions: 2 users
If looking like a stud in a specialty is possible with a quick read, your specialty sucks.

Just go in ready to learn. If you portray you know it all, you are probably going to be less successful.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just remember this from Socrates:

Intelligent people learn from every thing and every one; average people, from their experiences. The stupid already have all the answers.​

Socrates.

Reactions: 1 user
dunning-kruger-effect-curve.png

You definitely want to avoid this on auditions. Show up early, stay late, ask how you can help, volunteer to do a presentation if not assigned. Above all, get along. No one wants to recruit an unpleasant or lazy co resident. It is always good to know the answer when called upon rather than offering to answer. One of my roommates, now a PD is on the quiet side, but always knew the answer when asked.

Reactions: 1 users
I would just email your audition coordinator for advice. "hey i'm really excited to audition at your program. I was wondering if there a contact that can give me guidance on how to prepare for my upcoming audition etc etc"

Usually there is a resident thats really invested in student education. They'll give you an idea what you should be reading, common procedures in their hospital etc etc. This will help you three fold. You'll have a connect before starting, you'll look interested in their program, you'll know how to effectively prepare in stead of reading a thick textbook.

Reactions: 3 users
If you’re applying ortho you need to be asking in the ortho sub-forum. There are a number of regular DO posters there.

Know Handbook of Fractures and Pocket Pimped cold. And don’t be weird.

View attachment 338540
You definitely want to avoid this on auditions. Show up early, stay late, ask how you can help, volunteer to do a presentation if not assigned. Above all, get along. No one wants to recruit an unpleasant or lazy co resident. It is always good to know the answer when called upon rather than offering to answer. One of my roommates, now a PD is on the quiet side, but always knew the answer when asked.
This might be stupid to ask, but how do you volunteer to do a presentation without coming off as a suck up gunner?

This has nothing to do with the thread but if OP mocked Islam or Judaism the way he mocks Christianity, I'm sure SDN would terminate his membership and he would be labeled an "islamophobe" or "antisemite". If SDN does indeed welcome all people and try to create an "inclusive" atmosphere, why do they allow a member to do this? Why does this double standard exist?

This has nothing to do with the thread but if OP mocked Islam or Judaism the way he mocks Christianity, I'm sure SDN would terminate his membership and he would be labeled an "islamophobe" or "antisemite". If SDN does indeed welcome all people and try to create an "inclusive" atmosphere, why do they allow a member to do this? Why does this double standard exist?
I appreciate you bringing this up. I can see how this may be offensive to some. I'll be changing my account name so it isn't offensive.

We have Christian admins and moderators, myself included. There is no double standard, we just are all volunteers who take our already limited free time to help keep this forum running and a useful place to be. We often rely on users to report things that they see in case we didn’t see it. So if you see a user name or a post with something offensive, instead of writing a post about how unfair or double standard it is, please report it so we can see it and take action if it is required.

Now that it’s resolved, let’s keep the thread on topic.

We have Christian admins and moderators, myself included. There is no double standard, we just are all volunteers who take our already limited free time to help keep this forum running and a useful place to be. We often rely on users to report things that they see in case we didn’t see it. So if you see a user name or a post with something offensive, instead of writing a post about how unfair or double standard it is, please report it so we can see it and take action if it is required.

Now that it’s resolved, let’s keep the thread on topic.
Please. He's been a member since 2018. Do you really expect me to believe that no moderator has noticed his handle until now? And this is not about me being offended. I don't expect the world to cater to my feelings like the other 99% of people in my age group. It's about being consistent in whatever principles SDN claims to abide by. Why is it OK for Christians to be openly mocked when we all know that if he insulted a minority group, it wouldn't be tolerated for two seconds?