Good GPA but bad MCAT for DO schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OnePodRanger

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just received my MCAT score and got a 495 (yeah i know, no chance) but I got a GPA of a 3.6
-over 300 hours of research experience in biochemistry and volunteering in a hospital
-50 hours of shadowing a DO and 20 hours of shadowing a MD
-Have multiple extracurricular activities

I know my chances are very slim for DO schools but I have checked BCOM and MU-COM and they have an unexpectedly low MCAT score requirement (493 and 491 respectively). I understand these are fairly new schools and I am going to accept that.

To be honest, I do not mind where I go. Should I apply very broadly and see if I have a chance or should I re-take the MCAT and take a gap year off (I'm going to be a senior).

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You should have a pretty decent shot at newer DO schools. Apply early.

EDIT: I posted this because students at my school (which is pretty new) have gotten in with a score lower than yours, but I would listen to others in this thread. I personally believe you should study up and retake the MCAT.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I think you'll be good for the newer schools. But MU-COM is going to be tough...I had a 3.7 GPA paired with a 499 MCAT and was rejected pre-interview after being put on pre-interview hold. Good luck though!

I think you'll be good for the newer schools. But MU-COM is going to be tough...I had a 3.7 GPA paired with a 499 MCAT and was rejected pre-interview after being put on pre-interview hold. Good luck though!

Really now. How good was your application if you mind me asking?

Retake the MCAT. 495 is pretty lethal across the board. Why settle when your gpa shows you have the academic potential to score much better? Taking an extra year is no big deal as the average age of matriculants keep increasing each year (currently 25-26).

Point being a better MCAT will give you more options.

Reactions: 1 user
Retake the MCAT. 495 is pretty lethal across the board. Why settle when your gpa shows you have the academic potential to score much better? Taking an extra year is no big deal as the average age of matriculants keep increasing each year (currently 25-26).

Point being a better MCAT will give you more options.
That is true. Quick question. Should I apply anyways and study for the MCAT throughout the process because I thought the worse case scenario is not getting accepted. I am planning to take the exam during spring time anyways but not register for it yet.

That is true. Quick question. Should I apply anyways and study for the MCAT throughout the process because I thought the worse case scenario is not getting accepted. I am planning to take the exam during spring time anyways but not register for it yet.

I would save your money and not apply. A lot of schools do not screen for secondaries so you would waste a lot of time and money by filling them out when you don't have much of a chance for an interview. You only want to apply to medical school one time and when you have the strongest possible application.

PS- don't misinterpret MCAT requirement to get a secondary for their average accepted MCAT. BCOM's average MCAT for matriculants last year was 500 and MUCOM was 503. I expect both to increase from this years cycle and next years cycle.

Aim for the highest score possible obviously but realistically ~505

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Really now. How good was your application if you mind me asking?

I had no grade replacement. I had 300 + hours of clinical experience, 500 hours of clinical research, 300 hours of laboratory research...and a few other things.

I would save your money and not apply. A lot of schools do not screen for secondaries so you would waste a lot of time and money by filling them out when you don't have much of a chance for an interview. You only want to apply to medical school one time and when you have the strongest possible application.

PS- don't misinterpret MCAT requirement to get a secondary for their average accepted MCAT. BCOM's average MCAT for matriculants last year was 500 and MUCOM was 503. I expect both to increase from this years cycle and next years cycle.

Aim for the highest score possible obviously but realistically ~505
Okay I understand. Thank you for the advice!

I just received my MCAT score and got a 495 (yeah i know, no chance) but I got a GPA of a 3.6
-over 300 hours of research experience in biochemistry and volunteering in a hospital

I know my chances are very slim for DO schools but I have checked BCOM and MU-COM and they have an unexpectedly low MCAT score requirement (493 and 491 respectively). I understand these are fairly new schools and I am going to accept that.

To be honest, I do not mind where I go. Should I apply very broadly and see if I have a chance or should I re-take the MCAT and take a gap year off (I'm going to be a senior).

Thanks!
I can't recommend applying with scores that low. You're in a risk zone for failing Boards and/or flunking out of med school.

IF test taking anxiety is an issue, that can be fixed.

A 495 score, yes even for DO, will not give you much of a chance.

A 500+ is what is needed for solid DO shot and that's not for the high end DO schools which are more like 504+.

Good luck.

Thanks!

I highly doubt that you adequately studied for the MCAT. Your test performance was in the bottom one-third.

Frankly, you may have a chance at getting into a poorly established DO program this cycle. However, your MCAT score indicates a lack of baseline knowledge and analytical skills. By applying this cycle, you would be doing a disservice to yourself.

Skip this cycle, study for the MCAT intensely, and retake for a score of 500+ (~50th percentile or higher). Prove to yourself that you are emotionally mature and intellectually prepared enough to pursue this career goal.

Retake the MCAT. I don't know what you did to study the first time, I was crap on the first test too. What really helped me was to stop studying for it for a couple months and then start over with new books and s new schedule. If I'd just kept doing what I was doing, I would have just been spinning my wheels. Best of luck!

Also:

wikipremed.com

I'll echo what my university advisor mentioned: (supposing you don't care to piss away hundreds of dollars on the primary app, not to mention secondaries- if they are hypothetically extended to you- which imo isn't a total stretch, should you pick your schools wisely) even if you are rejected and have your heart set on reapplying for the following cycle (like what I did, when I put off taking my MCAT until Sept 1 2016 since I didn't feel ready until then.. and I by no means knocked it outta the park, but a balanced 501 isn't as lethal and I never have to take that sadistic exam again-- so I applied asap, got secondaries, and was ultimately coached by admissions representatives from my desired programs that I'm a 'competitive candidate' but to re-apply as early as possible for the following cycle) your re-submission of your application to their program will show your dedication and determination to persist, and conceivably, your serious desire in their program.

If nothing else, it's a comforting notion lol